Debate Mansion

Cartoons- Silly, Mature or lesson giving?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged

Everyone of u -I bet, have seen cartoons like Tom and Jerry, Bunny Rabbit, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Scooby Dooby Doo, Abbot and Costello etc .. Don't get into a denialLOL Admit it!!LOL. As child i always loved cartoons ( i still doTongue) They are a great entertainment source of "Young Minded" peopleWink 

Today the trend of cartoon making has changed over time. First we had those Cinderella story, Snow White and the 7 drawfs, Beauty and Beast, The Jungle Book, etc... Now we are having more "Mature" themes like Spirit (The story of a brave, high will-powered and courageous Stallion who fights for freedom from Mankind), The Lion King (Based on Shakespearean play "Hamlet"..People giving the voice overs here are majorly Broadway performers..or Oscar Winners in other projectsTongue), Finding Nemo (an ocean scared Fish "As ocean is not safe" who tries to find his lost son that is taken by a scuba diver..), The Jungle Book 2 (Man belongs to where he is born)  and the list is looooooooooong Tongue 

Is it good for children to watch cartoons as from a research it is found that most of the violence is shown on Cartoons than any other movie, drama, etc. ? BAD influencesOuch.....But then what should they watch.. Every movie is coming with an "A" rating! ConfusedDeadDead

Plus why do teens ridicule and S.T.O.P watching cartoons ONCE they have entered teenzAngryOuch...Are Cartoons that bad!!!!!!!??Embarrassed(No!!Tongue)

Do u think that cartoons give "Good Lessons" or they are simply illogical idiotic maniac mysterious brain illusions ?? [Ouch]

Ur comments.Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Cartoons- Silly, Mature or lesson giving?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:54pm | IP Logged
I love cartoons Maryam !! And me and my hubby still watch them all. Whether its Tom and Jerry or the animated films. Our all time fav is Ice Age !!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG i love that mad squirell and his determination to have that acorn !! LOL

As for it being bad for kids .....hmmmmm ....can't comment since i have not watched the violent cartoons so i am not sure how violent is violent!! Tongue

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 3:40am | IP Logged
GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Aparna di and Vishesh!!!! U guys cheered me up LOL Clap Big smile

U know i get this thing all the time from my parents "Wht do cartoons do to u? Wht the lesson they have? Simply Cat n mouse running all the timeUnhappy" (They call my Tom n Jerry a "Cat and Mouse" Cry ... And that's why i posted this to get to know what others think! Smile

To me there is more maturity with fun now..They are being more realistic than b4.. new animated cartoon films and general cartoons are getting better n better.. And their Music is just wonderful.. "The Lion King"{TLK}'s Music is Oscar winning!! Clap Hats off to Elton john.. His blend of African Music with pop Big smile.. i know im talking soo back.. but i still can't get over that cartoon film ..ITS a MASTERPIECE!!!Tongue .. I just can't live without cartoons.. they are my daily vitamin dosage necessary to keep me good Big smile...But my parents say "Grow up!"Unhappy ...BAD Ouch ... im not gonna grow up like this... I will watch cartoons even at 60 LOL

my nephew watches violent cartoons Unhappy and my sister blames the cartoons for his behaviourUnhappy I know he gets hyper at times.. but Cartoon BlamingsCry... At times he gave me 2 punches Ouch... but that's loooong ago Embarrassed .. And those teenagers...OMG... they start saying "Grow up" and this fills me with fumes!! Angry

But the worst thing with me in my life is: I DON'T HAVE CARTOON NETWORK or ANY CARTOON CHANNEL!! (They all have gone paid) Angry

(P.S: People! This is one of my fav. topics.. and im frustrated... so if u find any emotional event in my posts.. plz bear it! Tongue )

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:56am | IP Logged
As far as cartoon or animated movies are rated they are not harmful. I would not want my daughter to watch incredibles or some violent or mature cartoon at age of toddler or pre-schooler. But Dora, Blues Clues, Dragon Tales, Maya & Miguel they are all very good. They even teach things to kids...my daughter know lot of spanish words after watching Dora and Diago. Barney is good way to teach them kids poetry and manners and sharing. So I don't think they are bad... Now Arthur. I hate it like anything when my daughter watch Arthur. It is just too loud and kids always shouting and older brother being mean to younger sibling or vice a verca. My daughter was exposed to aurthur for a while and she started shouting and getting back like DW. and thats' when i realized that thats no no. So making sure what cartoon kids watch is also important. I love tom & jerry those mickey and stuff are very naive cartoon. but again, cinderella is fine, but then some kissing scene exposing kids to giving importance to beautiful dress at young age, make up at young age is not i would like my kid to get into.

Now adulst watching animated or cartoon is just fine.. I don't see a reason why they should not. infact, i love dragon tales or miya miguel and i myself wait for pbs show for those so i can watch with my daughter...sometime my daughter is play and does not want to watch and i sit and can't let it go LOL Tongue

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 6:29am | IP Logged
Sowmyaa di.. wht abt Sesame street Big smile Smile ...Man.. I still love the Big bird and cookie eater.. and that trash bin guy Embarrassed Big smile Embarrassed

Originally posted by sowmyaa

but again, cinderella is fine, but then some kissing scene exposing kids to giving importance to beautiful dress at young age, make up at young age is not i would like my kid to get into.

This is something i say too.. i remember watching "Little mermaid" with my niece and nephew.. and i had to turn it off Ouch it was so embarrassing Ouch .. First of all the clothes are pretty revealing, not appropriate for kids of their age...or even under 12.. secondly those bold scenes in cartoons Angry Confused Wht is the sense behind that!!? Makers are making cartoons for kids.. not for adults... Dead Ouch But i was comfortable watching Spirit, Jungle book 2, TLK,etc.. These are pretty good in terms of having a safe watch and no embarrasment. Smile

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 6:39am | IP Logged
Everybody you have to watch both parts of Ice Age. Its the best cartoon ever made.

As for teans calling cartoon watching immature, i'll tell you why Maryam. Its the age !!!! At a teanage you want to grow so fast and behave like an adult. So anything that takes them back to childhood is a strict NO NO !! In your early 20's you start getting comfortable with your age. And from late 20's onwards you want to occasionally remember being a child again and cartoons relax and make you feel young !! Yes yes ! I am talking out of experience , therefore NO SNIDE COMMENTS PLZ !!

As for the violent cartoon Soumya and you mentioned. I haven't seen them. So no clue !!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 6:42am | IP Logged
Humm..sesame street i don't like it much its boring..its good though, but my daughter also didnt like it she was always a barney friend (he literally sings from his nose) LOL

but you know american culture is ok with kids being exposed to kissing and little revealing clothes in such disney movies. I personally don't like it. Someone gave her disney princess story book on her b'day and they have all disney princess stories including mermaid with kissing scene. Kids in US are exposed to parents hugging and kissing before them casually as good bye or so. Indian parents are usually shy before their toddler and pre-schooler kids to hug each other or so. Also, clothes. Yes, i don't like when 3 yr old girl insiste on wearing pretty dress...man i have fight with my daughter everyday and she wants to wear pretty frill frock even to gym Confused Ouch and one of her friend is into make up (yes 4 yr old) after watchign these princess and barbie stuff so she also wants to use makeup now..i dont let her watch those barbie and gurly things so much..rather she should watch lion king, nemo, somethign educational and cartoon not some freeky gurly stuff... Dead but now she wants to use makeup...i had to make her cry for that but its just that these soem cartoon give lot of importance to clothes and beauty which they should learn from now that these things are not imp. are not going to get you anywhere. if someone looks like beast they can still be good, but just being pretty and beautiful is not you want to be all the tiem. may be i am too overreacting but it does get into their mind from such young age.

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged

Awww Sowmyaa di Embarrassed ..Well.. as u said.. ur daughter should watch "Beauty and the beast" as its theme is 'Beauty is within"Smile and make her watch repeatedly Evil Smile LOL .. and if she switches to "Animal oriented cartoons" it may help, no dressing or style statements there LOL LOL LOL ...My lil niece had the same problem at 3-4 yrs old like dressing like Barbie, Rapunzel, Cinderella,etc.. but my sis is so strict on her make-up thing and she has to obey that...It was like that giving my niece some liberties.. and making crystal clear strict instructions of "Not-to-do" things (in an authoritative way Smile )... now she is older and she doesn't watch cartoons anymore Confused Ouch but her "Dressing way" is not out LOL but it is sure mellowed Big smile

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

As for teans calling cartoon watching immature, i'll tell you why Maryam. Its the age !!!! At a teanage you want to grow so fast and behave like an adult. So anything that takes them back to childhood is a strict NO NO !! In your early 20's you start getting comfortable with your age. And from late 20's onwards you want to occasionally remember being a child again and cartoons relax and make you feel young !! Yes yes ! I am talking out of experience , therefore NO SNIDE COMMENTS PLZ !!

I guess its the opposite in my case di Embarrassed I wished to be a child forever like Peter Pan LOL Tongue .. and i still do Embarrassed ... I think the "Early 20's Phase" came too early on me LOL ... Embarrassed But how to make my parents understand my love for cartoons, this is still a riddle for me Confused

Im sure gonna watch Ice AgeBig smile................Any other recommendationsEmbarrassed..PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZEmbarrassed

Edited by MNMS - 26 July 2006 at 7:51am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top