Debate Mansion

There's an app for that.. feminism (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 5

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 5
Page 4 Page 5

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 6:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

I personally believe that there should be no feminism or masochism concepts, all should be treated equally. And why should women fight for equality while it's their right to be treated equal.

And I am at par with your beliefs! :)

That's the point I want to make though. Just deserving something, and something being right does not mean it is reflected in reality. Yes, it's true that women and men being treated equally is right and just, but it doesn't mean that that happens. Actions, and specifically collective actions, are the driving force behind things changing in society to better reflect our views on what justice looks like.

For example, women and men are legally equal in many ways, but socially, women still make less money and a pay equity gap still exists in most countries. We all know that's wrong, and we feel it is wrong, but that's not enough to change it.

So I disagree that we do not need feminist ideology/concepts/action(s) because to me that is part of the driving force that challenges patriarchal structures to make true equality possible.

I am just trying to clarify that feminism is not redundant or unnecessary.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455boreddamsel

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "There's an app for that.. feminism (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:19am | IP Logged
Nope, I did not say people should not start threads. It seems you are quick to jump to conclusions. It would really help you to read more carefully so you can gain practice at assessing the intent and motivation behind what people post based on what they actually say, and not on what you imagine. It's a good skill to have.

The exact phrase I used was "reinventing the wheel." People start new threads all the time, but I posted an invitation to inform the discussions in new or old threads with resources that can contribute to the discussion and move it further. That way the same discussion doesn't have to happen again and again, and the same points don't need to be made/re-established, but new ground can be covered in each debate, and things can actually move forward. Particularly on topics that get extensive debate here, such as those relating to gender.

Another term I used was "ground zero." Again, I clearly stated that we don't always have to start at the same point, whether in an old thread or new. So again, I did not say that people shouldn't start threads, nor did I suggest that they shouldn't debate certain topics. I have started new threads myself, including on a topic that was previously covered.

Here was one interpretation that was posted:

Originally posted by King-Anu

Originally posted by --arti--

What I was trying to say was that there is no need to reinvent the wheel on some of these subjects, and that there are resources already available that help further the debate, rather than always start at ground zero.

So basically you are saying if anyone starts a debate on such topics then it should not be from scratch but as an addition to something that has been discussed already or should be related to views that are already there or should be supplemented with resources already available?

Fair enough..

It seems this person understood what I was trying to say.

So it was your (faulty) interpretation that I was asking people not to start new threads. It doesn't matter how hard you search my posts. You won't find anything in there to prove my intent was to keep people from starting threads.

Edited by --arti-- - 27 March 2013 at 9:28am

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheTruth

Also, you confessed  that there is no app (as declared in your thread title) but you were just grabbing attention. How you use that attention is not an issue here.

You are really blowing out of proportion the use of my word "attention." Of course I wanted to direct people to my topic in a way that I felt was appropriate. I decided to use a title along the lines of something more casual and jocular rather than serious.

If you want to cling to that, that's fine by me. However, I think it says more about you than it does about me. Some people have a tendency to cling to something they can nitpick over when they don't have anything more substantial to offer, or when they feel unnecessarily threatened by the perspectives of others. Here's an idea - there is a more respectful option of engaging the content of what someone posts.

On the other hand, I have actually provided sufficient context and additional clarity about why I made this thread, so I can't explain more to those who don't have the intention to engage content.

Edited by --arti-- - 27 March 2013 at 9:25am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheTruth

Congrats... you got it.

lol you don't seem very happy lately. Don't let the girls wear you down.LOL

moomin4455

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the post, Arti. 

Here is why I think women never get equality.. 'coz its a chicken and egg problem. Men think women get special treatment and have an issue with it.. which makes them treat them with bias. But you need to fight for women and ask for special treatment, because other wise we will never become at par with men. 

You are right there is a lot of literature out there.. but sometimes it gets on my nerves. Look at the discussion about the Yahoo CEO Marissa Meyer's decision to ban WFH .. the news reported that this would affect women.. why? Men aren't parents.. they don't want to stay at home with their kids? 

Sometimes feminists focus so much on women, that men might get pissed off.. and that's why they frown at the term feminism. Somewhere down the road, something went wrong .. 

Anyways I haven't checked if there is literature about it out there, but this is something I have seen.. given I have been involved in lots of initiatives to improve conditions of women scientists and engineers and encourage young girls to join the field. I have so many more examples I could share, but of course feminism itself is a different debate! 

You brought up the issue about women's pay.. I heard recently that one of the major reasons for this is because women never negotiate like men do.. we aren't aggressive enough! 

Edited by boreddamsel - 27 March 2013 at 7:35pm

moomin4455

moomin4455

IF-Dazzler

moomin4455

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged
I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in: I applaud the intentions behind the feminism, but loathe feminists who denigrate men and believe this is a means to address gender equality. I think it's because of these 'extreme few' that feminism has the bad reputation it has, particularly among men.

In an ideal world women, or anyone frankly, wouldn't have to fight for equal rights and respect - there would be an inherent understanding that this is the case without words having to be spoken. Alas, the world is not like that...I agree with you -arti-,  that until we have a world where there is gender equality, we will have to fight for that equality.

Edited by moomin4455 - 27 March 2013 at 7:54pm

BirdieNumNumboreddamsel

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by moomin4455

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in: I applaud the intentions behind the feminism, but loathe feminists who denigrate men and believe this is a means to address gender equality. I think it's because of these 'extreme few' that feminism has the bad reputation it has, particularly among men.

In an ideal world women, or anyone frankly, wouldn't have to fight for equal rights and respect - there would be an inherent understanding that this is the case without words having to be spoken. Alas, the world is not like that...I agree with you -arti-,  that until we have a world where there is gender equality, we will have to fight for that equality.

ok but i don't get something. How are the two genders equal? Can the man get pregnant? Can he model for Victoria's Secret? Would he look as good in high heels?LOL I also think women deserve more respect than men, so all this talk about equal rights also doesn't seem right. They can open beer for the guy, they can tell time just looking at a watch in the oven, there are just so many things they can do that guys cannot.LOL

my point is the two genders are as different as male and female, and we should celebrate those differences. It would be a boring world if women were like men and vice versa. I for one wouldn;t know what to do with another man curled up on a sofaLOL.

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 27 March 2013 at 9:19pm

moomin4455boreddamsel

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged
@Birdie.. I think Moomin was referring to equal rights.
Women definitely deserve respect yes.. but I don't know if woman want more respect than men! The society could start with giving women the same respect as men. 
Anyways my two cents. I am sure there are men and women who disagree! Smile

BirdieNumNummoomin4455

Post Reply New Post

Go to top