Kuch Toh Log Kehenge

Career vs baby!

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Sujatha.rao

IF-Rockerz

Sujatha.rao

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged
Everybody hailed KPji as a progressive writer and described Nidhi's decision to focus on her career for two years before planning a family as a reflection of the perspective of a modern career woman!

Although personally disturbed by Ashutosh's angst, I could not find fault with Nidhi's logic completely. While personally, I do not believe it is impossible for a woman to manage a high pressure career and a baby, I realize that a woman's right to her decision had to be respected, much as one may disagree with it!

However, in this one episode, I find that the writer has undone all the good that he supposedly tried to achieve earlier!

When Nidhi said that she had been focusing on her career instead of fulfilling Ashutosh's desires and this was life's way of taking revenge on her for that, my jaw dropped. After taking pains to show the importance of career in a woman's life, here was a career woman blaming herself for her professional choices. If she had said that life had taught her that babies were not made to order and that they were a blessing that Nature chose to deliver at a time of her choosing, it wouldn't have seemed so inappropriate. Instead, here was a woman blaming her ambition as  reason for her disappointing her family. Also, this whole concept of disappointment makes no sense. Is a baby a gift that a woman is expected to deliver to her family? Is it not a part of her body and soul that she longs to welcome into her life and hold close to her heart? Why should a woman apologize for her inability to conceive, even if it is temporary? I am sorry but I was thoroughly disturbed and disappointed.

Secondly, Nidhi's comment that a woman's life is not complete with a home and a husband but only with the coming of a baby. This made things even worse and reeked of an extremely chauvinistic attitude. There may be women who may find their lives complete without marriage, husbands or children. How can this kind of a generalization be made which again compromises a woman's fight for self actualization?

Hardly, two days ago, she was not even sure if she wanted a baby and had to be cajoled and convinced by her Dadi Bua. Suddenly, she is seen spouting dialogue that is more befitting of a Tulsi or a Parvathi.

Why have the writers chosen to compromise everything, be it characterization or track, that they had originally created?

If they truly believed in Nidhi's fight for her career, why not devote the last few episodes to that?  Why not show something like Nidhi preparing for a PG entrance or skip that and even take a short leap of two years and show her acquiring a MD or an MS degree? Why not end the show with Nidhi receiving a gold medal for standing first in her masters course and have Ashutosh applauding her from the audience.  Why even delve into this whole baby track which is even considered regressive by some and which is supposedly injurious to the lead actor's professional health?

Why not stick to the values that you have tried to uphold on the show? Why try and make a mess of everything that you have tried to do earlier? The audience did not ask for the baby then and they did not ask for it now.

I have just one question for the creatives. Have they managed to figure out what they have been trying to say? Or are they even trying?

Today, I feel let down both as a career woman and as a mother. The show has done justice to neither!

Sorry Sony TV, Rajan Shahi, KTLK creatives, Mr Kelkar and Ms Kamra...but sincerely hope you guys actually have a plan the next time round...if there is to be a next time...!

P.S - I included the names of the actors only because we have been given to believe that tracks are played out to suit their convenience. If that is indeed the case, then they have to take some degree of responsibility for the success or failure of these tracks too! Even if they are not responsible to the show's makers, they are surely responsible to their fans who are also responsible for making them who they are? When bouquets are accepted with a smile, then surely brickbats have to be accepted with a bowed head! 

Edited by Sujatha.rao - 21 March 2013 at 2:27pm

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

Dilli6amit1944meena_kannansharma.shivanineelimapn4arpitajaanshalini.malik72Vidishaa-deepali17-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Career vs baby!" in Kuch Toh Log Kehenge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Dilli6

Dilli6

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 2:45pm | IP Logged

Sujatha,

This show has made mockery of each and every values a woman gives daily fight – from domestic violence, career, child bearing and now conception.

A beautiful beginning, a okaish middle has been given a screechy and senseless burial. This show if not raking in TRPs always had a following of intelligent, not afraid to say their mind viewers ( both women & men) who were sick of or not able to connect to the mindless blabber that gets shown on daily soaps. This goes to show bankruptcy of thoughts with Creative writers who cannot stick to course they have chosen and fall somewhere between mediocre.

I had weaned myself from the show long ago, came here to read some of the beautiful writings of forum members, that's the memory I will cherish. No regrets that I watched or associated myself with show because it had once upon a time an intelligent writer, a talented and endearing cast.

Aditi.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sharma.shivaniarpitajaanSujatha.rao

arpitajaan

arpitajaan

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged

Sujata agree with you completely...except one point...I blame Kamlesh pandey for the downfall of the show (no bashing, strictly my POV)...he wanted to show that he is different and in that process he has revealed many a times a male chauvinism...I can give umpteen e.g. of the way he has callously taken the story forward... melodramatic scenes with Mallika (combing her hair),mixing poison, Khushi track... the way he supported Khushi OMG I completely stopped watching till that track got over...I lost all respect 4 him with the Baba's birthday issues where he justified roman and hindu panchang thinking we are all fools...So in sum and substance its nor the CVs, nor the actors, its the writer who is responsible 4 the disgraceful exit of the show...what professionalism u can expect from a writer who revealed that the story needed twist b'coz the female lead doesn't want to be a mum...isn't he supposed to keep that a secret...I consider from that day onwards the TRP started dooming...I watched the show for KK and SK...no one else...I disagree with you...why SK is responsible for this...what say he has in this...poor guy he was not even privy to the info of the closure of the show...and true to his words he was the one who ended the suspicion and said "yes it is going off' and didn't conceal his disappointment also...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Sujatha.raoVidishaasonyjknum

Vidishaa

IF-Rockerz

Vidishaa

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged
The episode was disgusting to say the least. In this day and age we are told that a woman's life is worth nothing if she isn't able to conceive. 

Nature's revenge??? huh...for heaven's sake she is still in her mid 20s.

Does Mr.Intellectual KP dare tell  this in front of Lata Mangeshkar??? 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Sujatha.rao

Sujatha.rao

IF-Rockerz

Sujatha.rao

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dilli6

Sujatha,

This show has made mockery of each and every values a woman gives daily fight ' from domestic violence, career, child bearing and now conception.

A beautiful beginning, a okaish middle has been given a screechy and senseless burial. This show if not raking in TRPs always had a following of intelligent, not afraid to say their mind viewers ( both women & men) who were sick of or not able to connect to the mindless blabber that gets shown on daily soaps. This goes to show bankruptcy of thoughts with Creative writers who cannot stick to course they have chosen and fall somewhere between mediocre.

I had weaned myself from the show long ago, came here to read some of the beautiful writings of forum members, that's the memory I will cherish. No regrets that I watched or associated myself with show because it had once upon a time an intelligent writer, a talented and endearing cast.

Aditi.

Yes Aditi...agree that this should not have come as a surprise...although this show has not promoted the typically regressive saas - bahu drama, they have been just as guilty of denigrating women in their own way...the shoddy handling of Mallika's character was a perfect example...and now this parting shot just as they leave...intelligence is always a great thing in a writer...but when it warped, it certainly gets injurious to the well-being of a show!

Sujatha.rao

IF-Rockerz

Sujatha.rao

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by arpitajaan

Sujata agree with you completely...except one point...I blame Kamlesh pandey for the downfall of the show (no bashing, strictly my POV)...he wanted to show that he is different and in that process he has revealed many a times a male chauvinism...I can give umpteen e.g. of the way he has callously taken the story forward... melodramatic scenes with Mallika (combing her hair),mixing poison, Khushi track... the way he supported Khushi OMG I completely stopped watching till that track got over...I lost all respect 4 him with the Baba's birthday issues where he justified roman and hindu panchang thinking we are all fools...So in sum and substance its nor the CVs, nor the actors, its the writer who is responsible 4 the disgraceful exit of the show...what professionalism u can expect from a writer who revealed that the story needed twist b'coz the female lead doesn't want to be a mum...isn't he supposed to keep that a secret...I consider from that day onwards the TRP started dooming...I watched the show for KK and SK...no one else...I disagree with you...why SK is responsible for this...what say he has in this...poor guy he was not even privy to the info of the closure of the show...and true to his words he was the one who ended the suspicion and said "yes it is going off' and didn't conceal his disappointment also...

Arpita...I am not trying to apportion blame...merely reiterating collective responsibility...filmmaking is collective effort at the end of the day...so when the team gets appreciated for the good stuff, they have to necessarily take the flak for the bad. When a superstar's film stinks, he takes the primary hit even if the writer or the director may be the primary cause of the mess. Because an audience somewhere gets drawn into the theatre on the names of these stars. So, they end up taking responsibility for having disappointed  their fans. In this instance, the problem rises because we were categorically told that the actor was involved in the creative process, at least to the extent of saying what she could or would not do. Under the circumstances, she also has the responsibility of then offering feedback on what she could or would do and what would not be hurtful or offensive to audience sentiments, I included the names of the leads because they get top billing. They are the face of the show. As such, there is a certain additional responsibility to their audience. I completely agree that the writers have messed up big time. The primary blame rests with them. In allowing them to whatever they have done, I believe that every other core member of the team has also erred. When you lend your name to crap, you are bound to have bits of it sticking to you. Just as you enjoy the benefits of the writers' brilliance...!

This is not about Sharad or Krithika or anyone in particular. It is about team spirit, And yes, the writer stood exposed the day he publicly declared his actor's unwillingness to do certain things. It was a n extremely unprofessional act on his part! But knowing that, it was all the more imperative for the entire team to plan a good and positive finale to the show to try and ensure that all of them came up not stinking at least if not smelling of roses!

Edited by Sujatha.rao - 21 March 2013 at 8:35pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

arpitajaan

Sujatha.rao

IF-Rockerz

Sujatha.rao

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Vidishaa

The episode was disgusting to say the least. In this day and age we are told that a woman's life is worth nothing if she isn't able to conceive. 

Nature's revenge??? huh...for heaven's sake she is still in her mid 20s.

Does Mr.Intellectual KP dare tell  this in front of Lata Mangeshkar??? 

It was disgusting to say the least, Vidishaa!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top