Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Sujatha.rao

IF-Rockerz

Sujatha.rao

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged
Never thought I would be back here to make another post. But, a chance meeting last night kind of triggered this off.

I was on a flight back home from Mumbai and got talking with the young woman seated next to me. An engineer from a reputed institute of technology in Mumbai, she'd worked with a blue chip company like Infosys,. She went on to get an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad and now works for one of the world's top most consulting firms. She has a hectic professional life and travels at least four days in a week. Interestingly, she is single but has no time to find herself a partner and has chosen to entrust the responsibility to her mother. She told me that most men from her community are intimidated by her professional success. This kind of makes her sad because she says she wants marriage and children badly. Having tasted professional success, she yearns for domestic bliss now.

This reminded me of yet another friend of mine, who was once a diva in films. She started acting at the age of sixteen but gave it all up to marry her true love at twenty seven. She has not looked back since and is blissfuly happy playing wife and mother. She neither has the time nor the incilnation to return to the world of celluloid. I recall her telling me just before her wedding that she was tired of her success and hankered after the anonymity of domesticity. She wanted children most of all. Happily for her, she has two gorgeous kids now.

I am sharing this here only because a similar track is being played out on the show. Nidhi, who once famously said that begetting children was no big thing since animals too had the capacity for it, now describes motherhood as the most wonderful experience that she now wanted to savour.

I know a swallow does not a summer make.Yet, the U-turn made by the show's character and the real life experiences cited above lead me to wonder if the desire to be a mother is somehow programmed into a woman's DNA. It rears its head at some point or the other. We even hear talk of the biological clock ticking. So, all the career growth and all the money in the world does not seem to compensate for a child!

Or is it the other way round? Is it only because they have expreienced all the success in the world that these women now want to enjoy motherhood? Is it a case of the lure of the unknown? Like maybe stay at home women secretly wish that they could be career women too and make pots of money besides enjoying professional success?

I am tempted to think maybe women want to have it all! No question of the either or option anymore!

Given that they are intrinsically multi-taskers, I guess that is the way to go forward. Why give up one when you can have it all?!

Edited by Sujatha.rao - 20 March 2013 at 12:52pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

amit1944fanktlkswati62*shikha*Mithalee02Suvika.-deepali17-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Motherhood and the female DNA?" in Kuch Toh Log Kehenge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ttrocks

IF-Stunnerz

ttrocks

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Nice to see u back in forum Ma'am... Hug

Will be back with my pov on this after reading this post... Big smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Sujatha.rao

Mithalee02

IF-Rockerz

Mithalee02

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged
Tongue

Sujatha.rao

-deepali17-

IF-Stunnerz

-deepali17-

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged
So glad to have you back making posts. Be back to edit a little busy - just had to peep in when i saw your nameSmile

Sujatha.rao

DeepikaKTLK

DeepikaKTLK

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged
If you place women in a situation of no pressure from elders at home, society and husband, don't think they want to go for kids. This is my POV, have seen my many of my friends. But we cannot create such ideal situation, there is lot of pressure on her. But staying at home is dream for many who go out and work.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

swati62Sujatha.rao

DeepikaKTLK

DeepikaKTLK

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged
Please update your FF, Pati, Patni aur Woh

Sujatha.rao

mudraswathi

IF-Stunnerz

mudraswathi

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged
According to me, it is a choice that should be made by an individual.

God has to created female's body fit for carrying a child... that doesnot mean, motherhood and DNA should be linked up. A child is a natural process of the growing human race...so, instead of calling motherhood or fatherhood ..let us address it as parenthood..

Unfortunately the society has made certain unwritten rules to tie up a female with all the responsibilities related to a  baby... with which, a female compromises her career, growth under the name of motherhood.
A child is the responsibility of both its parents... and a husband and wife should decide as a single unit for themselves ..what is good for them and what is not... we cannot take a random example of someone who has made successful being single or someone who sat at home and enjoyed the marital bliss as a complete woman...

debaparna77

Sujatha.rao

IF-Rockerz

Sujatha.rao

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mudraswathi

According to me, it is a choice that should be made by an individual.

God has to created female's body fit for carrying a child... that doesnot mean, motherhood and DNA should be linked up. A child is a natural process of the growing human race...so, instead of calling motherhood or fatherhood ..let us address it as parenthood..

Unfortunately the society has made certain unwritten rules to tie up a female with all the responsibilities related to a  baby... with which, a female compromises her career, growth under the name of motherhood.
A child is the responsibility of both its parents... and a husband and wife should decide as a single unit for themselves ..what is good for them and what is not... we cannot take a random example of someone who has made successful being single or someone who sat at home and enjoyed the marital bliss as a complete woman...

Mudra, you  are going into areas that my post has nothing to do with...I am not getting into the issue of responsibilities of child rearing...my post has only to do with child bearing...and my point is that most women at least seem to be inclined towards motherhood at some point or the other...the minute you talk of biology, you straight away accept that the female body is contructed for the purpose of child bearing...and my observation is that most women seem to want to make use of this ability...of course there maybe exceptions...and yet, I would argue that maternal instincts are a part of a the  DNA or mental make-up or call it what you will of most women!

Edited by Sujatha.rao - 20 March 2013 at 11:45am

mudraswathi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top