Vidya Balan's "Silk" becomes a case study at TISS

Posted: 11 years ago

Vidya Balan's "Silk" becomes a case study at TISS

MyNews Network, 18-Mar-2013 03:08:06 PM

Font Size:  
Keywords: Vidya Balan | The Dirty Picture | Silk case study | Silk Smitha | Tata Institute of Social Science | TISS| |
Vidya Balan's "Silk" becomes a case study as TISS

Mumbai: Vidya Balan set tongues wiggling with her portrayal of a sex siren in Milan Luthria's The Dirty Picture (2011). After winning great compliments and numerous awards for her role, Vidya now has another feather to add to her hat — her character in the film of 'Silk Smitha' has become a case study for lecturers at the prestigious Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS),Mumbai.

"Though her character raised many eyebrows, everyone was awed by the way she carried it off," says an insider from the institute.

This was the primary reason why it became such a marked example and topic of discussion at the institute. "Sociologists from TISS who undertake projects that focus on research that, among other things, influences policy and social practices, also agreed with her character's observations in the film," adds the insider.

For The Dirty Picture, Vidya won the National Award for the best actress in 2012 and she is no less proud and excited to learn of this new progress. The actor was sure that her performance would push the barriers of respectability in Indian cinema.  "Milan was very clear that we were to feel respect for her and respect only comes from being accepting and non-judgmental," says Vidya.

Vidya is proud to know that her performance is being discussed by academics.  "The Dirty Picture will always be amongst the films I'm extremely proud of. I found it liberating to play Silk Smitha, a woman who was unapologetic about her sexuality and the choices she makes," says Vidya. The film also starred Emraan Hashmi, Tusshar Kapoor and Naseeruddin Shah, who played one of her love interests in the film.

http://www.mynews.in/News/vidya_balans__silk__becomes_a_case_study_at_tiss_N545758.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vidya Balan's 'Silk' in 'The Dirty Picture' now a case study?

BOLLYWOOD, Posted on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:52pm IST

Vidya Balan won a National Award for portraying southern siren and soft po*n actress Silk Smitha in her film 'The Dirty Picture'. She won wide acclaim for taking on a role that many of her contemporaries would have shied away from.

The role of Silk is now a case study at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, according to media reports.

The Hindustan Times quoted a TISS (Mumbai) insider on Tuesday as saying that Vidya's character awed everyone by the way she carried off the role. The TISS officials think that Silk will be an interesting psychological and sociological study.

The role of Silk is now a case study at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, according to media reports.

"Sociologists from TISS who undertake projects that focus on research that, among other things, influences policy and social practices, also agreed with her character's observations in the film," HT quoted the insider.

"There was a certain amount of mental preparation about being uninhibited and being unapologetic about being uninhibited...But I have enjoyed it," Vidya had said ahead of the release of the film. Milan Luthria's also starred Naseeruddin Shah, Tusshar Kapoor and Emran Hashmi.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/vidya-balans-silk-in-the-dirty-picture-now-a-case-study/379772-8-66.html

BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
She won national award for this? Yaay!! I didn't know this

I wish I could do a case study on this character. Used to do those for English novels and stage dramas for Literature while at school and it was a lot of fun back then
Hello_kitta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Every boy will be ready to study this case. 😉

this news will make someone really burn in ash for sure. LOL one more feather added in vidya's cap 
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Neetu_Unleashed

this news will make someone really burn in ash for sure. LOL one more feather added in vidya's cap 

Please give them several tubes of BURNOL.😆...because this one is really an honor...another benchmark set by Vidya...😎