Debate Mansion

Is it time for Indian Television to change? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

desiRED

Groupbie

desiRED

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged
^^^ Whatever shows they make, there is always a section of people that are never pleased. When Saas-Bahu drama came out initially, it was a pleasant change for people who wanted family drama.

There were some bold concepts, like Kitu Gidwani and Anju Mahendru in Swabhimaan, Neena Gupta in Junoon, etc. They weren't essentially negative characters but about how the unconventional women were viewed in society. Even Hip hip hurray had school teens dating and partying. Piya Rai Chowdary's character dealt with clinical depression, which was an eye opener for many ignorant parents.

In the nineties, TV was more sophisticated than movies in dealing with story and characters. So I can understand that an average non-urban woman was not relating to such unconventional story lines. What they easily understood was saas-bahu and saazish. I remember reading Urvashi Dolakia's man-maid getting beaten up by aam janta just because he happened to work for 'Komolika'. I never related to such, and also got busy with college, so completely stopped watching TV. If there was anything else other than scheming saas or doormat bahu, I would have definitely picked TV over computer or books. English shows during family time was off-limits because even a peck on the lips was considered explicit. Well, I would feel awkward in the first place too (still do).

At present, in the name of humor, they are force feeding us with comedy shows that are full of sexual innuendos or racist remarks. Picking on brown skin, neighboring countries, or male/female anatomy, is not the kind of comedy I want to watch with my parents or in-laws.

Recently I did try watching a daily soap after hearing rave reviews from friends that it was a different show, and the actor is drool-licious (Wacko) while the female lead is a fighter. When I started watching it, I did find certain things offensive. That guy manhandling the girl, and she being quiet about it. Girls in IF did find that hot, and a certain someone said she had wet feelings about him, after declaring he is like her son. If they show these kinds of shows sugarcoated with 'Soch nai' concepts and people actually accept it just because there is a good looking actor in the show, I rather use internet instead of spending my time rolling my eyes over glorified crap.

Agreed that only urban elites are complaining. But urban elites are people, and they need entertainment too. When there are ten shows for rural majorities, they can add just one show for urban minorities. There is not even a single daily soap that is different today.

I would like to watch progressive women, not the oppressed ones. Media people are screaming that item songs are promoting rapes. What about TV shows? Aren't they promoting dowry related murders and honor killings?

Edited by desiRED - 22 March 2013 at 5:02pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

kaamchornimoomin4455boreddamselFlawlessAshvikFAYKHAN29SmritiKatharini_katmanzilmukul

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is it time for Indian Television to change? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SmritiKatha

IF-Rockerz

SmritiKatha

Posted: 23 March 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged
Actually some people always try ..like Dj's, SONY TV etc they at least try to bring the change , but the trp game and other saas bahu shows ruling over them makes them go back to tried and tested formula ...

Like NDTV IMAGINE started really well ...but we know what happened to the lovely channel which started with such progressive shows ...Only way we urban audience can bring change by watching shows which try to be different ,...We shall promote the shows in friends ,family , social media , networking sites ..at least if it manages to keep decent trps ..there is still hope, because it is easy to blame others ...we all  shall try to change our mindset ..we all shall encourage seeing a good show in tv than internet ...

Like If Mahi way, Rishtaa .com would have worked we might get new seasons and those kind of shows ...

If  One Jassi  can change tv's perception we still have hope...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455boreddamselmanzilmukul

rini_kat

IF-Rockerz

rini_kat

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by RickyBahl

First of all there are ppl  here in india as well as abroad..

i met one peculiar one/she used to say- Oh gog oh gOd..i love los angeles, i love hollywood, Bollywood is such crap ..Eeks..i dont watch this song and dance movies.Bollywood is not for me.Hope if Indian film industry cud make films like west."

Similarly there is another ppl..i can take one of my old college mates she says.- " Indian TV .No way.Yucks..i better watch Friends, the apprentice, the big bang theory. or better watch salman bollywood films .I wont watch  these family dramas and all."

So these type of reactions had always been there andd will be there in coming times

the fact remains that Bollywood cant become Hollywood at all and Indian Tv cant become International Tv setup. Because in india an average audience is liking what is going at present.

Shows for 5 yrs and plus  wudnt run if there was no market. Kyunki saas bhi was closed abruptly but even in its eighth year also it had more than 5  point TRP's . So there is a market for family melodramas. that is why it exists..and 

I appreciate ekta kappor 
all i can say is  her shows were the flavour of that decade.Not now. I used to like those shows  like kaisa yeh pyar hai,kahin to hoga  during 2003, 2005 era. Not now.
But i cannot say it was rubbish. wen we were child we used to read comics..Now we dont read comics..so we cant say that how idiot i was that i read comics. Everything has a time.. the balaji era is gone..those formulas dont work now at all neither the interst me

But still i wud say people shout we dont make saas-bahu shows..we make nayi soch shows.
Its a big lie. The new shows are packaged differently  and they claim that its a show with message.I dont agree. saathiya in star plus is totally  a kitchen politics show..and  star plus says we have stopped balaji type of shows. what a liar.. they hav thrown out balaji serilas  but packaged their news shows as if they are not saas-bahu shows. This is hypocrisy

So why this thing??
the reason is theer is still a market , a huge market who watches these shows with interst..
eevn male members who hv got one Tv at home watches it.
These shows run for years cause they hv market..The day there is no market.it wud be over.

So dont feel that u dont like watching these shows that means others dont watch.There is sufficent audience available

Other things is that many of us here wud also might hv watched them .Its not about young or old ppl. All K serials used to be watched by young ppl too. cause there was not much internet savvy audience then.
Reason-  Look its not the problem of TV content. basically.. these days young ppl spend more time on Internet. watching Tv has become boring. Youngsters watch Tv ..something which is immediate, different.quick. No one has patience to watch a daily soap and follow it.unless its damn intersting.
In todays times internet keeps youngsters occupied and when we dont find  content of our choice ..we  do feel Tv indystry is not that efficient enough.

I agree with that..even i dont like any daily shows at present...But i accept it that there is a huge market of hindi understanding audience who watch these shows whatever be the time period it runs..Ppl are addicted to Tv serials and Bollywood as a gateway of entertainment. and are accepting what is being offered.

No one is complaining apart from some urban elites..the main hindi heartland is happy with the programming.

For us we can only wait for change or shift to watch movies. 
ignore typo errors.

Lovely...u analysed everything so well.Its really a treat to read ur posts...U always make post by evaluating both the sides of does and doesn't...

Edited by rini_kat - 24 March 2013 at 1:43am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

RickyBahlmoomin4455boreddamselFAYKHAN29

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 2:25am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455rini_kat

RickyBahl

IF-Dazzler

RickyBahl

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 4:21am | IP Logged
thanks rini kat

for ur sweet words

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455boreddamselrini_kat

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged
Oh brother..

It's time for the world to change. Television programming will automatically change once the revolution happens, don't worry. :)

I heard it's not going to be televised though.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

boreddamsel

purvibahri

Groupbie

purvibahri

Posted: 25 March 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged
There's a really point u have raised, i think about this too. TV in India is not considered of being of a very good quality, I am really into Korean and Taiwanese dramas, and their quality is really remarkable! the shows are aired once or twice a week, giving chance to new shows with new formats to come up! plus they dont have dragging plots where just the preperations of a wedding make up the episodes of the whole week, for instance in Balika Vadhu the recent marriage of Shiv and Anandi made up like one week's epi, sometimes people really loose interest and end up thinkin "where the hell is this show going??"
This thing ha[[ened  to me with IPKKND, I rally lost interest during the useless Sheetal track and also the last track of IPKKND with Khushi participating in that beauty pageant and all...i was like "just end the show on a good note for God's Sake!" . 
If one looks at the Most Awaited show of 2013, Saraswatichandra, its made a mark and has lived upto its expectations, its good in quality with a strong storyline, is well directed and produced, the show's story knows where its going and has something new to offer in every episode! All this is REMARKABLE, but saying that the success of the show is bcoz Sanjay Leela Bhansali is producing is partially a fact and partially an excuse. It seems so to me coz with the kind of shows airing right barring a few, its as if some shows are being made only for money and they do not aim at serving better entertainment at all!! 
I am with the concept of :-
1. A sensible plot
2. Once or twice in a week telecast
3. Better quality (note: Saraswatichandra)
4. Limited episodes
5. NO 300 or 500 or 1000 or 3000 epi race! its EXHAUSTING!
6. A storyline with a DIRECTION...
7. NO dragging plots

Edited by purvibahri - 25 March 2013 at 12:43pm

bluedollie

Goldie

bluedollie

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by epiphany.

Originally posted by elle45

Originally posted by epiphany.

It is a shame that most of us here can scribble down the plot of a serial in a matter of minutes without even actually watching it. They lack originality and in conceit of the fact that most of their audience is dumb to the core, don't essay much to introduce logic in their stories.

It has been time for a long time for Indian Television to change. And here and there we get good shows, or at least one or two aspects of an otherwise illogical show make sense and a good watch. Satyamev Jayate wasn't fiction but it's the best show I have watched on Indian Television in ages. Ermm

Fortunately enough, I have discovered the delights of some really amazing foreign shows, most of them American. Albeit my current favorite is a British one called Downton Abbey. All those who want to kill themselves of what they are offered on Hindi TV MUST shift to foreign shows asap. 

I love Downton Abbey! Plus a few others as well. Although I am disappointed by the very few episodes that Downton Abbey has every season, it proves my point exactly. Anyone watching it would notice how it is so much more of a superior quality to any Hindi TV show. That's because they have lots of time for coming up with a story, plot twists, and iron out the details. More happens in one episode than would happen in an entire month of a Hindi TV serial.

I think there's a lot to be learnt from foreign shows. Not only shows like Downton, but about the huge variety. Comedy shows, thrillers etc. They cater to every type of audience, from the ones who need family politics, to the ones who would like to see shows about a group of friends, to those needing supernatural elements. A thriving television industry must offer all to be labelled a success. 

Downton Abbey is a very classy and refined depiction of the early twentieth century. It's fascinating, witty and logical - everything Hindi TV shows scarcely are. I don't even mind that there's no more than eight or nine episodes in each season because each episode is long and appealing and makes a considerable move forward in the story unlike Hindi shows in which three episodes out of four or five per week are fillers. Hindi shows are dragged and unoriginal. Downton Abbey is like a breath of fresh air in my life. Ah. Approve The characters are almost all layered and awesomely enacted. Like isn't Maggie Smith completely epic? (:

Yeah... I love downtown abbey too... classic presentation by ITV... I really wonder if such shows could work in India...

I really miss the early TV days with shows like aarohan, rishety, mano ya na mano... they were so natural...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top