Debate Mansion

Is it time for Indian Television to change? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:42am | IP Logged
It should. I started watching Pak shows now, and its a refreshing change.
One hour shows every week and they last only for 25 episodes! It's already recorded before its even aired, so they can't be affected by ratings. What a brilliant idea! 

Even on Indian TV, Yash Raj films had few shows that were based on this concept of 25 episodes once a week. It's high time we stop those horrible saas bahu shows which are doing more bad than good to society! Ouch 

Ekta wasn't too bad in the beginning. Her first few shows were sensible, for example Hum Paanch. It's only later that it started going a bit OTT. But she is a remarkable lady, I will give her that. I mean you have to admit she changed Indian TV! We will need someone else like her to change it to the season format! 

But, even American shows get boring after a while. I have given up that Ted will ever meet the mom in How I met your mother Ermm! I think the few shows that stayed interesting were the earlier ones .. like Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld. Even the supernatural and the crime shows get boring after a while, coz it seems repetitive! Or we should go the British way, like Sherlock, for example. Though that will make you nuts, just waiting and waiting LOL 

Will make you wonder how CID survived so many years ... and is still one of the popular shows on TV. I miss Tehkikaat! Cry 

Sorry.. this topic brought back old memories. Now I stay away from Indian TV. Made the mistake of watching an Indian show last year, no more Indian shows for me, thank you! Can't take all this drama! LOL 

Edited by boreddamsel - 22 March 2013 at 6:45am

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

kaamchorniRickyBahlFAYKHAN29SmritiKathaepiphany.FreshDaisyfriends_rock

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is it time for Indian Television to change? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by desiRED

They did try, and Rishta.com was a welcoming change. It was a feel good story, with talented actors, and well defined weekly episodes. But failed to garner TRPs. I think Sarabhai vs. Sarabhai was also a weekly series (I watched reruns later), and I hadn't seen a good hindi sitcom in long time. Both the shows failed to get a second season.

The very first daily soaps, Shanti and Swabhimaan, had better story lines than the best contemporary shows.

Yup! I started writing about the same shows too! 
I used to watch Shanti and Swabhiman .. those were so interesting .. and so twisted .. 
Sarabhai vs Sarabhai and before that there was Tu Tu Main Main .. now those are the kind of saas bahu shows we should have on TV! And my fave to date, Dekh Bhai Dekh. I still watch it on YT to get some laughs! LOL

R.com, Mahi Way were brilliant shows. Kudos to Yash Raj and Sony for at least attempting to bring in a change to Indian TV! 

Edited by boreddamsel - 22 March 2013 at 6:47am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

desiREDkaamchorniSmritiKatha

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by elle45

I think there's a lot to be learnt from foreign shows. Not only shows like Downton, but about the huge variety. Comedy shows, thrillers etc. They cater to every type of audience, from the ones who need family politics, to the ones who would like to see shows about a group of friends, to those needing supernatural elements. A thriving television industry must offer all to be labelled a success. 

That's exactly what Yash Raj films did. They had Mahi Way and Rishta.com that was romcom-ish, Kismat which was a money-power oriented family drama, Seven which was supernatural, Powder about narcotics,  Khotte Sikkhe that was crime and Lift Karadey which was a reality. I think they were all aired at around the same time in 2010. I came to know about these shows only recently, since I was totally out of touch with Indian TV at that time. But I watched some of the shows on YT. If they ever come back with new seasons is when I am coming back to Indian TV! 

The problem could be that Indian TV-watching crowd prefers drama Ermm the ones who contribute to the TRP,; that could be why non-drama shows don't survive. Sony as far as I have seen doesn't care much about TRP as Star does, so that's why they allow people to experiment. As for quality, how do you expect writers to come up with good ideas when they are writing for 5 shows at the same time! 

Edited by boreddamsel - 22 March 2013 at 6:57am

kaamchornirini_katmanzilmukul

RickyBahl

IF-Dazzler

RickyBahl

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 7:02am | IP Logged

First of all there are ppl  here in india as well as abroad..

i met one peculiar one/she used to say- Oh gog oh gOd..i love los angeles, i love hollywood, Bollywood is such crap ..Eeks..i dont watch this song and dance movies.Bollywood is not for me.Hope if Indian film industry cud make films like west."

Similarly there is another ppl..i can take one of my old college mates she says.- " Indian TV .No way.Yucks..i better watch Friends, the apprentice, the big bang theory. or better watch salman bollywood films .I wont watch  these family dramas and all."

So these type of reactions had always been there andd will be there in coming times

the fact remains that Bollywood cant become Hollywood at all and Indian Tv cant become International Tv setup. Because in india an average audience is liking what is going at present.

Shows for 5 yrs and plus  wudnt run if there was no market. Kyunki saas bhi was closed abruptly but even in its eighth year also it had more than 5  point TRP's . So there is a market for family melodramas. that is why it exists..and 

I appreciate ekta kappor 
all i can say is  her shows were the flavour of that decade.Not now. I used to like those shows  like kaisa yeh pyar hai,kahin to hoga  during 2003, 2005 era. Not now.
But i cannot say it was rubbish. wen we were child we used to read comics..Now we dont read comics..so we cant say that how idiot i was that i read comics. Everything has a time.. the balaji era is gone..those formulas dont work now at all neither the interst me

But still i wud say people shout we dont make saas-bahu shows..we make nayi soch shows.
Its a big lie. The new shows are packaged differently  and they claim that its a show with message.I dont agree. saathiya in star plus is totally  a kitchen politics show..and  star plus says we have stopped balaji type of shows. what a liar.. they hav thrown out balaji serilas  but packaged their news shows as if they are not saas-bahu shows. This is hypocrisy

So why this thing??
the reason is theer is still a market , a huge market who watches these shows with interst..
eevn male members who hv got one Tv at home watches it.
These shows run for years cause they hv market..The day there is no market.it wud be over.

So dont feel that u dont like watching these shows that means others dont watch.There is sufficent audience available

Other things is that many of us here wud also might hv watched them .Its not about young or old ppl. All K serials used to be watched by young ppl too. cause there was not much internet savvy audience then.
Reason-  Look its not the problem of TV content. basically.. these days young ppl spend more time on Internet. watching Tv has become boring. Youngsters watch Tv ..something which is immediate, different.quick. No one has patience to watch a daily soap and follow it.unless its damn intersting.
In todays times internet keeps youngsters occupied and when we dont find  content of our choice ..we  do feel Tv indystry is not that efficient enough.

I agree with that..even i dont like any daily shows at present...But i accept it that there is a huge market of hindi understanding audience who watch these shows whatever be the time period it runs..Ppl are addicted to Tv serials and Bollywood as a gateway of entertainment. and are accepting what is being offered.

No one is complaining apart from some urban elites..the main hindi heartland is happy with the programming.

For us we can only wait for change or shift to watch movies. 
ignore typo errors.

Edited by RickyBahl - 22 March 2013 at 12:32pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

rini_katFAYKHAN29boreddamselSmritiKathamanzilmukul

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 7:09am | IP Logged
Waiting to hear your thoughts, Rishy.. since you are part of the media! 
I will be back to check! Hug

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

RickyBahl

RickyBahl

IF-Dazzler

RickyBahl

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged
aarti edited 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

boreddamsel

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by RickyBahl

First of all there are ppl  here in india as well as abroad..

the fact remains that Bollywood cant become Hollywood at all and Indian Tv cant become International Tv setup. Because in india an average audience is liking what is going at present.

Sure. Agreed. I think that happens in every market, where you basically can't please everyone! But why do you think Indian TV is not open to trying out International style? How do they know that it won't work without trying? Who thought reality tv would work, and yet years later, it is so huge! I remember watching Boogie Woogie and the first singing show where Sunidhi won with Annu Kapoor I don't even remember what the name was. But reality shows became so big only after American Idol became popular. Now for every American/British reality show created, there is an Indian version.. and yet why is our fiction still so plain? Is it because Indians prefer saas-bahu shows? Is the society not willing to watch anything else?

So why this thing??
the reason is theer is still a market , a huge market who watches these shows with interst..
eevn male members who hv got one Tv at home watches it.
These shows run for years cause they hv market..The day there is no market.it wud be over.

So dont feel that u dont like watching these shows that means others dont watch.There is sufficent audience available

This is what I figured too. Why on earth do people watch these shows I never understand. Clearly from the TRPs its evident its the saas bahu shows that work. Maybe the TRP meters should cover more houses??? LOL 

Other things is that many of us here wud also might hv watched them .Its not about young or old ppl. All K serials used to be watched by young ppl too. cause there was not much internet savvy audience then.

Oh I used to watch most of the K-serials .. not religiously, but I would catch it whenever I was in front of the TV. I used to love Ekta's female characters.. not the weak ones, but the strong ones who fought for their rights and their family! 

Reason-  Look its not the problem of TV content. basically.. these days young ppl spend more time on Internet. watching Tv has become boring. Youngsters watch Tv ..something which is immediate, different.quick. No one has patience to watch a daily soap and follow it.unless its damn intersting.

So it is indeed the content. If the daily soap was interesting you said, people would watch it right? Whenever I go to India is the only time I get to watch TV, so I religiously follow every soap .. haha.. I literally sat and watched even Gopi Vahu talk to a camel LOL till I couldn't laugh anymore and shut off the TV! 

In todays times internet keeps youngsters occupied and when we dont find  content of our choice ..we  do feel Tv indystry is not that efficient enough.

I agree with that..even i dont like any daily shows at present...But i accept it that there is a huge market of hindi understanding audience who watch these shows whatever be the time period it runs..Ppl are addicted to Tv serials and Bollywood as a gateway of entertainment. and are accepting what is being offered.

No one is complaining apart from some urban elites..the main hindi heartland is happy with the programming.

So does that mean we will keep seeing this crap as long as we live. Is there nothing we can do to change this? What should happen to get over this saas-bahu trend? Maybe in a few years when these urban elites become the TRP crowd, we will have interesting shows? Ermm The only time I watch Indian TV and movies is when I miss India .. and dammit, is it too much to ask for some good and light-hearted content??  Ouch

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

desiREDRickyBahlrini_katFAYKHAN29SmritiKathamanzilmukul

RickyBahl

IF-Dazzler

RickyBahl

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by boreddamsel

Originally posted by RickyBahl

Sure. Agreed. I think that happens in every market, where you basically can't please everyone! But why do you think Indian TV is not open to trying out International style? How do they know that it won't work without trying? Who thought reality tv would work, and yet years later, it is so huge! I remember watching Boogie Woogie and the first singing show where Sunidhi won with Annu Kapoor I don't even remember what the name was. But reality shows became so big only after American Idol became popular. Now for every American/British reality show created, there is an Indian version.. and yet why is our fiction still so plain? Is it because Indians prefer saas-bahu shows? Is the society not willing to watch anything else?

A market research is done before show launch. even Gul in her interview clearly said we are catering to a 17 yr old girl in kanpur rather than a MNC working employee in delhi or mumbai.
That show was Meri awaz suno on DD. i loved that.  The star world kind of programming cant be used in star plus or zee or sony or colors.  Yes indians prefer saas-bahu saga.Its a harsh fact. Our traditional set up here is so strong that even Hollywood which has good market in evry country has not been able to establish its market in india that well. If a very well scripted oscar winning hollywood film releases in india sideby a  masala akshay or salman film. The common man wud go for bollywood anyday. Our indian filmakers proudly say, our indian audience is so strong that it doesnt allow hollywood films to rule the box office. Bollywood has influence On TV a lot. Similarly  indian audience can never watch a desi version of friends or Bold and the beautiful . Indian serials hav to be dramatic, love, thriler, saazish etc etd Thats the flavour. we cant change it.  Indians will like daal, roti, chawal..it cant suit spanish, american recipes.

This is what I figured too. Why on earth do people watch these shows I never understand. Clearly from the TRPs its evident its the saas bahu shows that work. Maybe the TRP meters should cover more houses??? LOL 

ya even if it covers more houses, still the output wud be same. cause those trp meters are representing sample.Wen u cook rice, u just need sample to test whether it  has boiled or not, u dont search each n evry grain.  so those sample act as the  result

Oh I used to watch most of the K-serials .. not religiously, but I would catch it whenever I was in front of the TV. I used to love Ekta's female characters.. not the weak ones, but the strong ones who fought for their rights and their family! 

Ya some of them were good ,It was just flavour of that season.Its gone now.No lead heroine cries that much now like earlier times.

So it is indeed the content. If the daily soap was interesting you said, people would watch it right? Whenever I go to India is the only time I get to watch TV, so I religiously follow every soap .. haha.. I literally sat and watched even Gopi Vahu talk to a camel LOL till I couldn't laugh anymore and shut off the TV! 

really some shows are pathetic but nothing to do.U found it funny.But someone in a village in rajasthan might hv cried watching that scene u never know it. Once there was scene in early episodes  to show foolishness of Gopi  where gopi vahu washes of her husbands laptop in a sink with detergent and hangs it on a rope to dry.I laughed watching it and credited gautam hedge for writing such a hilarious scene

So does that mean we will keep seeing this crap as long as we live. Is there nothing we can do to change this? What should happen to get over this saas-bahu trend? Maybe in a few years when these urban elites become the TRP crowd, we will have interesting shows? Ermm The only time I watch Indian TV and movies is when I miss India .. and dammit, is it too much to ask for some good and light-hearted content??  Ouch

Oh dear i understand how much u love ur country and TV brings u closer to ur home emotionally.a big hug to u my dear Hug. Only thing i can say is that unless society changes we cant see change in content also.  There is kitchen politics, saas-bahu fights at home , there are real life stories of middle class girl like khushi falling in love with rich guy.
so these are happening so it reflects on Tv.Its just that we add masala while scripting.

More channels will come up specifically targetted at age groups.Ppl say star one was meant to be Hindi version of star world. but it closed down. I hope Programmming will change.But it depends. Thise ppl who despise saas-bahu totally avoid entertainment channel and watch movie or discovery channel. I think sometimes audience also has to give chance to some shows. Sometimes pre conceived notions affect a show too which might be closed down cause ppl thought it was boring. So sometimes ppl hv to give chance.I hv seen many shows with new concept start but ppl dont watch and ultimately channel pulls it off air and puts a saas-bahu shw again. But hope time will change.
nothing is permanent.Not even trend. so change will happen for sure.

rini_katFAYKHAN29boreddamsel

Post Reply New Post

Go to top