Debate Mansion

Mainstream Films:Do they reflect society?

Me_Anonymous thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

Films like Corporate, Chandani Bar, Chameli, Page 3, Company, one with Pankaj Kapoor, Tabu (forgot the name sorry), their directors make it look like real and say that they are true reflection of the society, are they really? Do they really show the REAL Society and not REEL society?

Do you think films like these are just another way of earning money? Do the directors feel the need to just make the public/audience more interested in the film? Are these just other tactics of having more audience come to Cinema and watch the film and go out talking the film is a HIT????

Do share your views, i'll post mine soon😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Let us see...I have never  engaged in back stabbing, never been to a club where women have to dance to earn money, never actually met a prostitute on the street, never been a gangster, never cheated on my spouse, never been into the terrorist stuff, never been arrested, never stole money, sold drugs, flown in air, walked on water, cought a bullet, danced around trees, sang a qawwali, flown a plane, taken revenge for a murder, or when I have tried to sing a song to my wife...a dozens males and a dozen females dressed in exactly the same outfits have not appeared out of thin airi to sing and dance with me!

When I turn off light, things in the room do not just turn blue, they become invisible to me. When I turn on the TV to watch news, the news being broadcast at that very moment never turns out to be something of a personal significance to me. When women in my family observe Kadwa chauth (actually I am not even sure they do), it is never full moon. I never have flashbacks in which I can visualise things that happened in my absense. I have never met a Desi cop in foriegn countries. When I turn head to look at someone, it happens only once, not three times in a row. I went  to 'Holi' in old coloured cloaths that I was willing to discard after the colors are thrown at them. WHen I went to the cuorthouse, I always talked in language that I speak outside the courthouse and did not all of a sudden start talking pure Urdu! My reflection in mirror has never talked to me.

So, to answer your question: no, none of the movies you mentioned above or the ones that I have seen over last five years reflect me or a society around me!

waah abhijit jee kia jawab thaπŸ‘
syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Let us see...I have never engaged in back stabbing, never been to a club where women have to dance to earn money, never actually met a prostitute on the street, never been a gangster, never cheated on my spouse, never been into the terrorist stuff, never been arrested, never stole money, sold drugs, flown in air, walked on water, cought a bullet, danced around trees, sang a qawwali, flown a plane, taken revenge for a murder, or when I have tried to sing a song to my wife...a dozens males and a dozen females dressed in exactly the same outfits have not appeared out of thin airi to sing and dance with me!

When I turn off light, things in the room do not just turn blue, they become invisible to me. When I turn on the TV to watch news, the news being broadcast at that very moment never turns out to be something of a personal significance to me. When women in my family observe Kadwa chauth (actually I am not even sure they do), it is never full moon. I never have flashbacks in which I can visualise things that happened in my absense. I have never met a Desi cop in foriegn countries. When I turn head to look at someone, it happens only once, not three times in a row. I went to 'Holi' in old coloured cloaths that I was willing to discard after the colors are thrown at them. WHen I went to the cuorthouse, I always talked in language that I speak outside the courthouse and did not all of a sudden start talking pure Urdu! My reflection in mirror has never talked to me.

So, to answer your question: no, none of the movies you mentioned above or the ones that I have seen over last five years reflect me or a society around me!

πŸ˜† that was really funny
Saregama_fan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
πŸ‘

Let us see...I have never  engaged in back stabbing, never been to a club where women have to dance to earn money, never actually met a prostitute on the street, never been a gangster, never cheated on my spouse, never been into the terrorist stuff, never been arrested, never stole money, sold drugs, flown in air, walked on water, cought a bullet, danced around trees, sang a qawwali, flown a plane, taken revenge for a murder, or when I have tried to sing a song to my wife...a dozens males and a dozen females dressed in exactly the same outfits have not appeared out of thin airi to sing and dance with me!

When I turn off light, things in the room do not just turn blue, they become invisible to me. When I turn on the TV to watch news, the news being broadcast at that very moment never turns out to be something of a personal significance to me. When women in my family observe Kadwa chauth (actually I am not even sure they do), it is never full moon. I never have flashbacks in which I can visualise things that happened in my absense. I have never met a Desi cop in foriegn countries. When I turn head to look at someone, it happens only once, not three times in a row. I went  to 'Holi' in old coloured cloaths that I was willing to discard after the colors are thrown at them. WHen I went to the cuorthouse, I always talked in language that I speak outside the courthouse and did not all of a sudden start talking pure Urdu! My reflection in mirror has never talked to me.

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Morgoth thumbnail
Absolutely hilarious reply, Abhijit! πŸ˜† πŸ‘
ThE_kHan07 thumbnail

πŸ˜† VERY HS!!πŸ‘
ThE_kHan07 thumbnail
I think films like Chameli and Chandi Bar and Companby are based on 50% of reality. Except I dun think a rich guy would spend his $$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 to save a prostitute!! Instead he will keep on paying her more to do the "job" till the rain stops!! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Morgoth thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vishesh

We have Bars, and many Women like "Tabu" shown in Chndni Bar. The Stories abt "Page 3, Company.. are very realistic.

yeah some scenes looks unrealistic. But those are necessary. otherwise u ppl will start screaming, it is documentary.

Very true, Vishesh! πŸ˜† Some fiction is definitely needed.

Me_Anonymous thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

hilarious replyπŸ˜†

but on a much serious note forget the dancing around trees stuff, except that, like in Page 3 everyone said thats reality, thats wat happens in Film Industry wen u enter,

There are still bars open and people still go there n people still fall in love, well i dont believe in love but others do, n people still commit suicides

isnt it happening around us, may be a bit diff. to what we see on screen....

film like Water, i luved this movie, was that just another way of getting money? or was it true, i remember in the end it said that more than 30000 women are still living in widow houses and being treated like this

is that something we dont hear nearly everyday? Is that something we just pretend never happened?

i still hear news of women being raped, people being killed coz of some reason or the other, most of the times its enmity like in Company, people being Kidnapped (Apaharan)...

and here m talking about Mainstream movies and not commercial movies like DDLJ, K2H2, Mohabbatien, Koi mil gya and so on😊

sowmyaa thumbnail
I think all the movies mentioned above do have lot of reality in them. Atleast compared to all other chickflick, or action bollywood movies. I am not surrounded by such environment or I am not be exposed to them, but there are many dark corner in our society and country where I will not doubt such things not happen. I was talking to one of my friend who is from Mumbai and he said during like 80s or early 90s these bars were very common in Mumbai. Story about Tabbu happens to many women. We also read in newspaper about how when these bars were closed and shut down by Mumbai government most of these girls were out of job and they moved to lot of parts of Gujarat and Gujarat police was complaining how they have more work and girls who were doing similar business in Gujarat were not having enough job due to migrating of other girls from Maharashtra. We all know about Dawood and his deeds, I don't have to see him or need to be around such environment to get feel of it. I think movies like Chandni Bar, Page 3, company, D., are very true to reality.

Now yes, director when he is making a movie he does want to make some profit too. That is his job and that's were he gets his bread and jam. So there is some masala into it. But most of the time these movies are low budget and targeted to certain class of public so profit is low and production cost is also low. It could be or could not be a tactic to attract more audience but I do believe that it does hold lot truth and real incidents from real life.