Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Shalu- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Oh god, the story just keeps getting more heartbreaking & shocking with each update. I honestly don't know what to make out of Anjali, she knows the real reason as to why Khushi left for 7 years but not once did she bother to explain to Arnav. Even when she saw him go through one of the most depressing stage in life.

Despite knowing the truth, she actually had the audacity to keep telling Arnav that Khushi was the wrong person for him and she still asked Khushi to stay away from Arnav? Arnav is not a child, though he may have been overwhelmed at first, I believe he would have pulled himself up to find out the truth. Even if Arnav broke, she could have helped him slowly come out of that phase right? I mean she is a psychologist for crying out loud! :/ Btw Congrats on the new thread..

swatim318 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
very interesting

when wud u write Arnav... 

after reading what happened to him after his mothers' death... i so want to know what is his reaction now...
Sur_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
This was... disturbing, to say the least. The image clinging to his dead mother, an overprotective sister trying to protect him... One screwed family this is.
RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8

Chapter 24: Dichotomy

She fell into a dreamless sleep in wee hours of morning when there was nothing left to ponder, all her memories splashed around her remnants of war and her emotions draining out energy. Words had tumbled out of the constraints of her heart for prolonged part of the night as she spoke freely, and willingly. She didn't know how much Payal and Lavanya understood what she was talking about but they hadn't gone against the current and had just let her be.

Morning had come clawing through

"Khushi, are you awake?" Garima said coming in to the room. Khushi twisted around and settled on her back when she felt her back muscles were loosened enough.

"I am now," she rasped. "What time is it?" She said groggily and squint her eyes at the sliver of light escaping curtains' window.

"It's half past eleven…almost noon," Garima said sitting by the foot of her bed. "Payal asked me not to wake you up," she added.

Khushi grunted and opened her eyes fully. "What is that in your hand?" She asked seeing an envelope in Garima's hand.

"Arnav's driver came by just now and asked me to give it to you." Khushi sat up in one fluid motion when she heard his name and snatched the envelope from her mother's hands. "I will…come back later," Garima said leaving Khushi alone with her thoughts and a broken present.

Her hands trembled when she opened the envelope scared of what she could find there. But a word, any word from him at this point would be an almost blessing. It was hand written letter, two pages long and the steadiness in his penmanship tormented her stomach. She settled her back on the headboard and ran her fingers over the letter. He felt so close, so near to her then.

Dear Khushi, the letter started.

"The certainty of the two of us being together has always been a physical one – like etched in a stone and sealed by several people. Everything that we went through when we were young was like a vetting process to decide if we could endure what fate had in store for us. When second set of despair dawned upon us, we failed spectacularly as individuals and as a couple. I now wish I had practiced apathy to walk in the side lines and observe as the things gush along the main street. But it wasn't so; I was fully part of gushing process where I was led, misled and thrown around by moral righteousness and self-proclaimed upright judgmental proclivity. The equation was so gloriously unbalanced yet none took notice of it or even deemed it important. Wasn't it puerile and nave to think that the said equation would go unnoticed forever? It wouldn't have and it didn't. I was there, always there, but in the grand scheme of things, I was an unimportant player. I know you and di would claim otherwise: that I was so important to the two of you that I shouldn't be bothered with the truth. Was it to protect me from an unknown evil? Or was it to protect me from the impending hurt and suffering? I know it was all three and probably some more, but do you know what it finally had me reduced to? No, you have no f**king idea what your decision has cost me." Khushi let out a guttural sound that was carried through thick constraint around her throat. Her stomach revolted violently when bouts of disappointment gurgled. She was disappointed at her failure to recognize practicality and delved into a dark pit of unproven theories and hypothesis which in the end had messed up everything she once touched - including him.

"For the last seven years there was only one thing that ran in the back of my mind: where had I gone wrong? There must have been something I did or said which made you bolt. I searched through labyrinthine mind of mine and always came up empty handed. And then I wondered if it was something to do with me – there should have been something about my persona which got you to leave and I spent hours dissecting my character. What was it Khushi? My slow decision making process? Was it my anal retentiveness when it came to clarity of words? I don't know. I still don't get it even after you spelled it out for me last night. It was hard to digest, you know? So I cornered di when she came home last night and she told me what you two spoke about after I left. Once she finished talking I went to terrace and lay down their looking at the stars; the loneliness I felt at the moment was enough to consume me in its womb and hide me there forever. I have never felt this alone Khushi – not when my mom died nor when you left. Now…I just don't know what one is thinking or what is one intending to do. After you left I started second guessing my own decision, weighed my words more than necessary, looked over my shoulder all the time and kept wondering what my mistake was. When you were thinking about 'What Ifs', I was thinking about 'What did I do'. You knew the genesis of chaos and knew the exact places where changes could be made if you were given a chance. But I was left in middle of chaos blindfolded and had to fight demons with my bare hand. How is this fair Khushi? How fair were you in deciding my fate?"

The paper fell from her hand as his words morphed into spears and pricked her skin deeply. She could feel the metal deep in her bone, twisting, clenching and shearing everything around it to rotting carcass. The letter was all about him and her and everything he hadn't spoken till now. It had always been her talking about her trauma; she had relentlessly spoken about her troubles, her suffering and Arnav had partaken in those conversations and held her in her breakdowns. And when Arnav had his moment of crisis, he wasn't in front of her to tell her exactly what she felt. She felt robbed, cheated even when he chose not even to look at her when he expressed his despair.

Rocks settled in her stomach when she realized to her horror where this monologue was going. Hoping to be proved wrong, she picked up the second sheet.

"I have been thinking about fate and destiny since last night, you know? I mean there has to be some other reasons for what people do than the most obvious probability of – they can. If this is my fate, no, if this is our fate, then the one who is writing our fate must be very cruel. It is stupid to believe that pain makes one stronger. No, it breaks a person down more and more and they get disintegrated with passing time. And then one would arrive at a point where there is nothing else to lose, nothing else to believe in and there is definitely no one to trust. What would one do then? Does one escape from everything familiar till they try to reinvent themselves in a distant land? Or they would prefer solace in some other world? My mother chose the latter and look how that turned out for me. You chose the former and look where we are. Here we are Khushi at a point where I cannot go back and undo first decade of our lives together, I cannot not love you but the past seven years has made me so weary and so…unlike me that I am stuck in dichotomy." She didn't have any tears left. She did regret her decision but it was too late to run and convince him.

"I bid you good bye with this letter Khushi. I am partly following what you did once – not for anyone else but for me and me alone; we differ in that way. I am not going away permanently but just for a time till my heart simmer down and I am able to breathe without feeling anguish or pain. I have to discover the part of me which dissolved into nothingness when you left. I want to be the man I once was not a poor shadow of him. Till then, I wish to be my own company. I don't know where I am going but am hoping this stupid f**king fate would take care of it soon. Please don't try to find me. Please don't try to contact me. Please allow me to be. I will be back one day, probably in a month or two; till then, be well."

She clutched the letter to hear chest and heaved. There were no words left. There were no tears left. All she could do now was – wait. She would read the letter when all the emotions she was now feeling left her body. She would wait for him to come back. She would wait for him to find out everything he had once lost.

She would wait for him. Yes, she will.

There it is! Arnav's point of view.

Have a great week everyone! Meet you all with new update after a week.

christmas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
that was quite anti climatic but i guess that was expected? and the loneliness and pain in khushi was so palpable. honestly. i never understood people with god complexes. in this case i do not get anjali. and how fair is it that she does not want to burden her brother, yet she uprooted an innocent girls life for no fault of her own and also having her be the sole cause of everyones pain and hate. i hope. for the sake of khushi that she gets a proper conversation as she deserves from arnav and that anjali gets her due. one cannot argue her concern for family, but yea...splendid!

and then you update...i dont think there are words that would do this justice...cannot wait for the week
Edited by christmas - 11 years ago
meera30 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
For the first time, I want this break to be permanent. Some relationships are too caustic to their own existence and for now theirs feels like one. Maybe they can be better people with others. I know Arnav is hurting but truth be told he didn't talk to Khushi about his life either. Yes, she was wrong in trying to play God. But, relativity of guilt aside, he needs to shoulder the blame of not allowing her to see all of him and his past - thereby giving a third person the opportunity to meddle.

PS: I am not trying to dictate where the story should go :) This is just my opinion :)

PPS: Are you sure Arnav is not some Classic literary author incarnate? The Language he uses is so evocative and elaborate :)
penny25 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
arnav z broken beynd repair, .nd nw he aceptin seclusion 4 sometym...let me tel u i'm jst a grl of 17 nd seriously al dese emotions r bit hard 4 me to undrstand...so if i ask nythn to cnfrm my doubts plz do clear it...w8n 4 d week to end.,.enjoy u're holidays...
AquaSandhya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
If passion, attraction and sex are various aspects of love, comfort is a major part of love too. The innate ability to just be there for your partner when things go wrong. Your Arnav and Khushi fail each other in this matter with great applomb. How they can claim (even in their minds) that they love each other is beyond me...

Edited by AquaSandhya - 11 years ago
-medz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
When you were thinking about 'What Ifs', I was thinking about 'What did I do'. 

Does one escape from everything familiar till they try to reinvent themselves in a distant land? Or they would prefer solace in some other world? My mother chose the latter and look how that turned out for me. You chose the former and look where we are.

Bang on! These dialogues made me want to come and give you a tight hug! Can wait for arnav to come back! 

Kushi regretting gone is something i did not expect! 

Let her wait , after all as shakespeare puts it, "love is till doom's day"
It has to find its way out someday ;) 

Keep writing :) X 
AquaSandhya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Originally posted by: meera30

Maybe they can be better people with others. I know Arnav is hurting but truth be told he didn't talk to Khushi about his life either. Yes, she was wrong in trying to play God. But, relativity of guilt aside, he needs to shoulder the blame of not allowing her to see all of him and his past - thereby giving a third person the opportunity to meddle.

So agree with you on this Meera.