Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: toothbrush13

Raanjhanaa - 4.5/5
Loved it!  It has been quite a while since a film touched me so much, especially in the romance genre.  It sucked me in and I left behind any cynicism and believed everything.  I am actually amazed by how much I loved it.
I didn't have problems with the stalking or wrist-slashing; not all films have to be a PSA about what is right or wrong, and given the situations and story it looked realistic.  The only angles that I didn't like/understand were near the end:  the deal with the politician and Zoya's confession.  I feel like there could have been a better and more plausible way for Zoya to get her revenge.
Dhanush was beyond words.  From the beginning to the end he was Kundan through and through.  After a very long time, his performance made me believe and experience the love shown.  I can't even pick a best scene because he was so good in all of it.  Swara and Mohammed were just as convincing as Bindiya and Murari, and I liked both of the characters as well.  Sonam was the weakest link in the cast; she has shown a lot of improvement, but she could have given so much more dimension to Zoya, who I don't think was supposed to be stoic.
I loved the soundtrack before I saw the film, and this was finally a film where the music didn't seem unnecessary, and it didn't just fit in, it elevated the film to another level.  The songs were used as part of the story and carried forward a lot of moments without any dialogue, which probably should be the point of songs.  At the beginning of the film, Tum Tak was beautiful and sounded like a celebration of love; at the end, Tum Tak was almost haunting as an expression of Kundan's devotion.

wow very well said..
i agree d most wid u about the usage of d songs in d film.. d songs seem like a bliss esp tum tak and Ranjhanaa, when they give u a Kundanish feeling nd touch to them.. 
tumtak was like his devotion nd then aftr d leap when Raanjhanaa played on, i felt d surrender Kundan has for zoya.. nd 2 add upto that Dhanush had danced so effortlessly..
words fall short when i want to praise him.. simply beyond words as u said.
Edited by harshu.sundas - 10 years ago
Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Ashu qui 2

Chennai exp
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: -Shenaz-

Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham ðŸ¤¢

WORST MOVIE EVERR!!

I have seen films that bored me to death. I have seen films that made me angry with sheer stupidity. I have seen films that left me utterly confused. K3G 1.) bored me to death 2.) made me angry with sheer stupidity 3.) left me utterly confused PLUS 4.) made me hate Karan Johar and Jaya Bachchan. Why did I watch it then? Because it sadly is one of the most famous films of the past decade and even more sadly it is hugely popular. I can positively say that the films Ive seen so far and hated had at least one redeeming quality to them. But this has NOTHING, nothing at ALL!!! The story itself is not bad, though not the most exciting or original ever (that wouldnt bother me one bit). The script though is TERRIBLE, performances bellow average at their best and direction shows a lazy approach with one aim only ' to make a hit film. Not a film for someone. Film for money! That is what makes Karan Johar stand out among other directors. His unashamed hunger for commercial success. And he will use anything to get it. I dont even know where to start with all the bashing of this waste of celluloid!
Amitabh Bachchan plays an elderly father of a family, that consists of his wife (Jaya Bachchan) and two sons, adopted Rahul (yeah yeah... Shahrukh and who else. They run out of names for him a long time ago) and their own Rohan (some fat kiddo, then Hrithik Roshan). They are a PERFECT family. And I mean PERFECT (aka they have larger than life photos of themselves everywhere, including one really freaky family portrait). They love each other, they celebrate Diwalis in STYLE and they are DISGUSTINGLY rich. Their house was apparently imported from England and used to be a castle. They dont usually use cars (those are apparently for poor), they prefer helicopters, and they have a garden of a size of central China. But then Rahul falls in love with a poor girl Anjali (Kajol). BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! Thunder strikes and it signifies Amitabh Bachchan is not amused. After Rahul hears out some abuses on the adress of a girl he loves, he does what every perfect son would ' he begs on his knees for forgiveness. But duh! Anjali just lost her father. And so instead of dumping her Rahul marries her. BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! Amitabh Bachchan is like seriously pissed. So he says that from now on Rahul should get out. And Rahul goes. And because obviously India is way too small, he settles down in London. There his wife gets birth to a son and next ten years spends with xenophobic ranting against everything even remotely English. With them lives also Anjalis younger sister Pooja (Kareena Kapoor), who grows up into a Paris Hilton-ish airhead and with her equally stupid friends rules the college. But then her heart is stricken with love as soon as a MUSCULAR guy gets out of his fancy red car. YEAH! Rohan, Rahuls younger brother, lost the baby fat (but he still cannot do his shoe-laces) and now he set out to unite his family. And the best way to do so is to pretend you are a complete stranger and sneak into Rahuls home. Wah Wah. Kya planning hai! By this time I was really thinking about killing myself and only finished the film because I found fascinating how BAD it actually was.
Karan Johar says that 'It is all about loving your parents", but the film says that it is all about endless whining, weeping, sobbing, crying and being miserable. They are still talking about how they love each other, but NOBODY does ANYTHING to show that love. No. They prefer to call you a disgrace (Amitabh), sulk in London for ten years (Shahrukh), emotionally blackmail everyone (Hrithik) or bulging eyes while silently crying (Jaya). There is absolutely no love going on on the screen. You cannot feel any emotions. All the actors are like in their own vacuum, where they act, and they just happen to be in one frame together. There is nothing that could be called an interaction. Amitabh is highly unlikable as a stubborn aging father who loves his authority more than his family. Jaya Bachchan getting an award (I can't believe Tabu and Madhuri lost supporting actress award to Jaya for this cringeworthy role) for looking retarded most of the time is an insult. Shahrukh Khan is looking unforgivably sexy, but is so clean and sweet and perfect that even he was a sore to look at after all that whining! Kajol, whom I finally started to like more than just tolerating her presence on screen, is made to behave like a drunken twit (I shall never forgive Karan for this). And since I am among the minority who does not really see what is THAT special about them, their jodi does not save anything for me. Rani is decent and wasted and forgettable. Hrithik is a goody goody with muscles and thats where it ends. Kareena had no importance in the story at all except that she had to act like a bimbo which she did amazingly. 

Music, except for two songs, is very average. And there is one more thing about Karan Johars films: the main theme shall repeat again...and again... and again... until you feel like kicking into something every time it appears. I had the same problem with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai main theme. And when they inserted it into this film too, it just couldnt get any worse... I usually dont mind mentions of other films and such, but here Karan was celebrating his own film, and that is cringeworthy to say the least. The visuals are terrible. When Yash Chopra makes an imaginary, utopistic clean world for his characters to live in, it is all just a background for feelings and there is honesty in his films. Karan Johar overwhelms you (and makes you practically sick) with the sheer opulence, that is kind of falling on you and you suffocate under it. The visuals are MEANT to overwhelm you. They are not a part of the story at all (as it is the case with Bhansalis films). They are simply there and make you uneasy. And when a choir of English kids starts singing Indian anthemn, the patriotism is so forced down your throat its hard not to be almost physically sick. And just in case you are not moved enough, they will show you a disabled girl smiling happily during that.

Not moving, not appealing, not honest, not even cheesy. A cringeworthy documentary on "How to weep annoyingly and steadily"

🤪

BOOM BOOM BOOM..🤣 love yeaahhh.. and where have you been?🤗
ViccoTurmeric thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
-Shenaz-
Kabhi Khushi Kabhi gham was an epic film in-itself... It has been decade since I am still love with film! Its definitelt over the top with all drama and stilll I will never get bored!

Quite suprising you didnt like it!
Ashdoc's movie review---Once upon a time in Mumbai dobara

The number of Films that are being made based on Dawood !!---One wonders if he is bankrolling them to get maximum publicity for himself...

But this one makes a mockery of the great Don...

For instead of running his illegal empire coldheartedly , it shows him falling in love and giving too much importance to a woman...

Akshay Kumar plays Shoaib ( loosely based on Dawood ) , the Don who is so powerful that he can even turn the lights off in all of Mumbai , or so he boasts...

Problem is---Akshay Kumar's voice simply lacks the punch , and his acting lacks the depth needed to make a real impression on the audience...
His portrayal must be the weakest one of the Don , especially after seeing the performance of Ranadeep Hooda in D and Rishi Kapoor in D Day...

And I suddenly realised that I was missing an actor I disliked---Eemraan Hashmi , who played the budding Don with supreme confidence in the earlier version of ' Once upon...' .

As if to compensate for the lack of punch in his acting and his voice , the director shows Akshay ( Shoaib ) mouth too many airy dialogues---just too many of them...
But they don't hide Akshay's lack of acting skills , but in fact only serve to highlight them...

So Akshay tries pitifully to fit into the shoes of the great Don , and while doing so falls in love with a budding starlet played by Sonakshi Sinha...

But she does not receprocate , but falls in love with his henchman ( played by Imran Khan )...

All this while however , she has been hanging out with both in a manner that one make one believe that she is two timing both of them and toying with both...

So a love triangle develops , and the big question is---who will get her in the end ??

Who cares ?? Neither of them is worth it , judging from their acting skills...
Nor is Sonakshi worth fighting for , at least in my opinion...
Nor is the film worth watching...

Meanwhile Shoaib's rival Rawal ( played by Mahesh Manjrekar ) brings the situation to a boil by shooting Sonakshi---of course , he is only repaying his debt , for Shoaib and his henchman have tried to kill him on numerpus occasions and succeeded in only killing his girlfriend...

So the Don and his henchman and the rival don have to fight it out over their grudges over women---and the audience has to yawn while struggling to keep awake to find out who emerges triumphant in the end...

But whoever emerges triumphant in the end , the audience is certainly the loser---for it wasted its hard earned money on seeing this film...

Meanwhile the police are also closing in---they already tried once by using Shoaib's other henchman Jimmy as cat's paw...But Shoaib tracked and shot dead Jimmy ( who was innocent ) even though police were around him while mouthing another airy fairy dialogue , thus showing his legendary cruelty...
This Akshay Kumar acted legendary cruelty is supposed to make us quake in our books , but it doesn't...Yawn...

So what happens in the end ?? Don't watch the movie for that...

I got so bored ( actually bored is not the right word for it---hindi has a nice word for it called thakela ) while watching the movie that I took three days after watching the movie to even think about starting to write a review of it...

And the very fact that I am writing a review inspite of my thakela mood is due to my commitment to those who read my reviews...

Verdict---Disappointing .  
Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobara-

Very bad film. Doesn't match up to the first part. All the actors are misfit. Felt like slapping Imran Khan whenever he appeared in the frame. After Lootera, Sonakshi is a let down. Very sad to see her not act in this film.She was over the top in the climax. The way she was screaming, I felt like watching Manjulika from Bhool Bhulaiyaa. Akshay doesn't have the command and his acting looks forced.

The best thing about the movie- Sonali Bendre and the blink and miss Vidya Balan in the burkha.
Bad songs
Bad cinematography.
Very bad sets
 1/5.

Edited by AbbaDabbaJabba. - 10 years ago
Nostalgia-02 thumbnail
I'm on a movie spree!! I'v watched
Jab Tak Hai Jaan
Aashique 2
Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
Taalash
Ek Tha Tiger
3G
Barfi
Ishq In Paris
Chennai Express
Ghanchakkar
Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Dobaara

I enjoyed Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Aashique 2, Ek Tha Tiger, Chennai Express & Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Dobaara, the rest were crap!!

Ek Tha Tiger being the best action movie i've seen, I would loved to have seen Aamna playing the female lead!!

Edited by AamnaLover - 10 years ago
Tani91 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Finally saw Dabangg - I saw the second one on Netflix a few weeks back and didn't like it at all and my friends said the first one is way better and I'm glad to say that it is. Salman (and I'm not a Salman fan at all) absolutely rocks in this movie it's tailor made for him. Sonu Sood was great as Chedi Singh (also eye candy when he showed off his dole shole) but his character is such a jerk ass for killing the mom like that. For her first film Sonakshi did BRILLIANT she's such a confident actress on screen (wish she would pick better roles though). Overall a good timepass watch - laughed at the ending fight sequence, it was hilariously absurd especially when his shirt rips off 😆 Edited by Tani91 - 10 years ago
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
OUATIMD: Nothing special.. the first one was much better.. Sonakshi and Imran were hideous.. bad, worse, worst even more than that maybe.. Akshay was okay.. he has done much better than this.. Sonali she's beautiful.. she should do more movies.. Akshay's dialogues were pretty good.. Sonakshi in the ending was like some aatma went in her or something.. so so weird..😕 2/5
kitkataha thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Neal n Nikki. ðŸ˜† It was on B4U. I was alone at home...and viola I caved in.

The worst movie in the world, I can safely say. Uday Chopra is the ugliest man alive and is a bobblehead...Tanisha Mukherjee is as ugly as her sister, but infinity times more annoying on screen. 

This movie was about two people (I think) trying to get laid...but Uday Chopra's character should have known better, that with a face like his, a rock had better chances. I was appalled at some scenes..when did this movie come out? 

-100000 / 5

Edited by kitkataha - 10 years ago