Posted: 10 years ago
Yeh Jewani Hai Deewani...nice movie with great music and excellent performance by the entire cast.  Exactly what I would expect from a Dharma Productions movie.  3/5 stars

Raanjhana...OMG!!  This film was absolutely mind blowing.  Dhanush and Sonam were superb πŸ‘ And the music breathtaking.  I definitely reccommend it to everyone... πŸ‘πŸΌ 4.5/5 stars 
Edited by ummesulaiman - 10 years ago
Anna Karenina

A very rich and lavishly made film. I found the style of the scenes folding as stage sets odd, but it somewhat worked with the theatrical ambiance of the film. Everyone gives a a good performance and essays their character well.

This is a heavy drama about love and adultery. I never enjoyed the book much even with Androids. The movie is alright.

6/10

Kiss Me (With Every Heartbeat)

A cute Swedish film. A girl visits her estranged father, a widower who is marrying again. She falls in love with her new step sister. It is very similar to Imagine Me & You, but is a lot more dramatic.

6/10

The Heat

Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock bring it. They both have their own unique brand of humor. Sandra Bullock with her straight laced, tongue in cheek, sarcastic style and Melissa McCarthy with her crass, loud, in your face style. These two styles come together seamlessly in a great marriage of comedy. The movie is hilarious. It doesn't shy from being inappropriate and outrageous.

It was a Saturday early afternoon show and I was surprised at how packed the theater was, especially with a lot of old ladies. Bullock and McCarthy have a strange fan following. This is like Miss Congeniality on some steroids and some nasty. Awesome.

8.5/10

Himmatwalla

No one told me this was Richard Parker's Bollywood debut and he's the hero.

The movie had such terrible reviews that my expectations were below 0. So the movie actually pleasantly surprised me. It is atrocious, but it does garner some laughs. I did like the Psycho parody, bird flu and U-tube puns.

I think the problem with Himmatwalla is Sajid Khan doesn't know how to make a parody. He's made stupid movies with mindless humor and thats his superhit formula. He should stick with idiot cinema. The thing about parodies is that they are meant to be wittier and sharper. His remake is just way to literal that it comes of as a bad remake.

4/10

Shootout at Wadala

It was ok. Not as gripping and intense as Shootout at Lokhandwala as I expected. The first half was pretty interesting but I lost interest after second half started. The story was all over the place and too many unnecessary songs which ruined the pace. The only one I liked was Yeh Junoon. The narration was bad and the climax wasn't interesting at all. Way too predictable. Not more than a one-time watch. And whoever is planning to watch it, don't watch it with family members. Too much swearing, love-making scenes etc.

Coming to acting, this might be John Abraham's career best performance. He was absolutely brilliant as Manya Surve. Although his face looked constipated at some parts but overall he delivered well. Manoj Bajpai was great too but his screentime was less. He was barely there. Then comes Anil Kapoor. Not his best but he was great as Afaaque. He's in his 50s but still looks so young and stylish lol. Everyone else did a good job. It was nice to see Ronit Roy and Sonu Sood. Kangana looked so gorgeous. Such an innocent face. 

Overall it was one time watch for me.

2.5/5
watched murder 3 last night

Randeep hooda was an epic fail in what emraan hashmi could have sleepwalked through ! That sara girl cant act at all ! Aditi rao hydari was the star of the movie and she in a way carried the whole movie on her shoulders ! The hero had a  small role compared to the girls so thats why emraan might have refused it and i dont blame him ! Overall the movie wasnt that bad
3/5
TDP...

I wont say much about this movie as its amazing, she was so lonely when she died... the problem with stardom, once ur a star , u always want to be one ...

Best part of the movie was Silks speech at award function, chata maara aur aawaz bhi nahin aaya ... 

Vidya , was good as Silk, Emraan is good ( was that actually Mahesh Bhatt ????? ) now i get it why ppl wanted to see Vidya and Emraan together, they have amazing chemistry ... I would love to see a cute and nice romantic or just plain love story on them ... 

Tushaar, he gave head ache ... 

Arranged

Many of us desis will find this movie highly relatable. This is an adorable film that explores arranged marriage across communities. We aren't the only ones who do it.

No one expects Rochel and Nasira to become friends. Rochel is an Orthodox Jew and Nasira a Conservative Muslim. However, they start interacting as they teach at the same school. Despite their diverse disparate backgrounds they discover both have a lot in common - conservative families, parents with smothering expectations and the whole process of arranged marriage. They bond over their predicament and become fast friends.

The movie shows us the girls sharing their expectations and frustrations. They show the difficulty in finding the compatible match and pleasing their parents. They help each other emotionally through the process.

It is a nice feel good light hearted film with a simple sweet story.

8/10
Ghanchakkar.
-
Didnt like the movie.
Just because it has Vidya and Emran in it doesn't mean it will be a masterpiece.
Predictable story. We had already seen the whole movie through the trailers.
So don't watch it in theaters.

+
I liked ghanchakkar song's tune running in the background especially the begining part of it.
Some funny lines here and there.

Why were the forks or spoons (couldnt clearly see) were that big?
I had a problem with themπŸ˜†

Some time back I watched Mere Dad ki Maruti as well.
I dont think I mentioned it here.
So yes its a pretty good family entertainer.
I wanted to watch it ever since I saw the promo last year.
Saqib, Rhea, Ram did their roles really well.
The whole wedding feeling in the movie reminded me alot of monsoon wedding.
Like the sister's dance, drunk Punjabi uncles etc.

So go ahead and give this light hearted comedy a try.
Fukrey: Good movie. Interesting twists and turns. I loved the climax especially what happens with Laali. Richa Chadha, Varun Sharma, and Manjot Singh are brilliant in the film. I want to see more of Manjot Singh. He hasn't done much after OLLO and that cameo in Udaan (unless I missed it). Say what you will about Farhan/Ritesh and their production house, but they do back good films. Game is probably the only movie they produced that wasn't good. 

Special 26

Con capers make fun films. When they are inspired by real life, it is even better. Special 26 is an unassuming con caper flick that is elegantly made. The heists are so brazen, bold and simple, and that is what makes the entire caper brilliant. This is a really well made film that focuses on script and characters. Each and every member of the stellar star cast delivers a brilliant performance. All the characters are essayed with restraint, reflecting average real people. My only complaint was that the story gets slack at times. Just a little more tightening and editing and this would be a perfect con film. The romance angle was also a bit unnecessary.

8/10