Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
I suddenly realized that this forum is extremely lacking when it comes to writing in the genre of comedy. It's appalling! So, I am here to do my share and  spread a bit of sweetness and light. Cheers! Hug 

FAIR WARNING - This may not be funny at all. I suck at humor. Read at your own risk. Wink

The Prospective Bride.
Quirks of the Indian system of arranged marriage.

"I met Mrs. Ghosh at the park today." Baba announced at thoe dinner table. "She said she knows of a prospective bride for our Babu."

My elder brother who was sitting next to me, sighed. The ordeal started over a month ago, on the fateful day he turned thirty. My parents were suddenly struck with the realization that he had entered the third decade of his life and was still a bachelor. No wonder, they were appalled! They were sure that somewhere, deep down, they had failed as parents and hence, his marriage became the topmost priority of their lives from that moment onward.

Some eight girls had already been seen and rejected. This was, of course, routine. My mother took pride in it. Apparently, the more girls you rejected, better was the chance of finding a good bride. 

"Mrs. Ghosh, who? A colleague?" Ma asked as she served the rotis.

"Yes. She works at the bank," he said. "She sounded very positive. More importantly, the girl is also a Datta. Well, at least we won't have to worry about her caste and gotra."

Both Dada and I rolled our eyes. 

"That is brilliant!" Ma exclaimed in delight. "What more could we have asked for?"

"Let's not get our hopes up, yet. We need to meet her parents first."

"I have a good feeling about this one. I think she is going to be our elder daughter-in-law."

"She is going to be your only daughter-in-law, Ma. Not the elder one. I am not going to marry a girl," I laughed. Three pair of eyes glared at me. Promptly, I went back to my roti.

"Speaking of Mrs. Ghosh," Ma said. "A Mrs. Ghosh shifted next door just yesterday. She came to visit in the afternoon. She seemed like a very cultured and well-mannered woman. She is throwing a party tomorrow and she has invited the entire block. She doesn't know half the people and yet, she took all the numbers from me and called everyone up. What a nice lady! We must go."

Mrs. Ghosh, Ma and I were busy chatting when Baba joined us. 

"Mrs. Ghosh?" he exclaimed when he realized who his new neighbour was. "I did not know that you lived here!"

"Partho? What a co-incidence!" Mrs. Ghosh exclaimed. "I just moved. I did not know you lived in C.R.Park yourself! Otherwise, I would have told you yesterday."

Both of them laughed. "What's your house number?" she asked. "Oh and by the way, these are my new neighbours," she said pointing towards us. "Mrs. Datta and her daughter, Rita."

Before either Ma or Baba could politely tell her that  we were from the same family, she continued.

"Oh and Partho, do you remember the girl I told you about? You told me you were looking for a bride for your son, right? This is the girl I had in mind!"

My jaw dropped open when I realized that she was pointing at me. My parents looked dumbfounded while Mrs. Ghosh beamed at me with pride. 

"She?" Baba said, trying to control his state of shock. "She is my daughter!"

P.S. This actually happened to someone to know.

P.P.S. Thank you for reading this. Feel free to call this crap if that is what you felt.

Tanisha

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 12 March 2013 at 2:29pm

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

_IcePrincess_bright_star89Raisin-Devanshi-Kittya_Cullen-Dee-khoslakadhoklastarsanjanates_v1IndigoBluesZAHARA.manzilmukulChaiBiskootnikitagmc

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Prospective Bride" in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ChaiBiskoot

IF-Sizzlerz

ChaiBiskoot

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged
oh lord ROFL

that was a well crafted one.. ! imagining the expressions is makin me laugh so hard! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LoveToLaugh

-Dee-

IF-Dazzler

-Dee-

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged
ROFL

Doubtless, the prospective bride was a Dutta and belonged to a nice Bong family Wink The punchline sure gave a punch. LOL

LoveToLaugh

Raisin

Goldie

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 4:19am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

LoveToLaugh

_IcePrincess_

Groupbie

_IcePrincess_

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged
Hahaha awesome gal!ROFL Loved it!

Edited by _IcePrincess_ - 16 March 2013 at 10:34am

LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Purple_Lady

oh lord ROFL

that was a well crafted one.. ! imagining the expressions is makin me laugh so hard!

Wink
Thank you! :)

Originally posted by -Dee-

ROFL

Doubtless, the prospective bride was a Dutta and belonged to a nice Bong family Wink The punchline sure gave a punch. LOL

No wonder Mrs. Ghosh sounded so positive! Wink
Thanks! :)

Originally posted by Raisin

Hilarious!
Glad you thought so! Thanks! Smile

Originally posted by _IcePrincess_

Hahaha awesome gal!ROFL Loved it!
Thank you! Glad you liked it! Smile

_IcePrincess_

manzilmukul

IF-Sizzlerz

manzilmukul

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged
oh God this is hilariousLOLLOLLOLLOL Being a bong I can associate myself with the obsession with gotra and How MOMMY'S rule in selecting DIL'sLOL LOL But the piece was AWESOME..I think m gonna die laughing..LOLLOLLOLLOL Loved it!!
-Piu

LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged
Originally posted by manzilmukul

oh God this is hilariousLOLLOLLOLLOL Being a bong I can associate myself with the obsession with gotra and How MOMMY'S rule in selecting DIL'sLOL LOL But the piece was AWESOME..I think m gonna die laughing..LOLLOLLOLLOL Loved it!!
-Piu

Hi!
Yeah, the obsession with gotra is something I do not understand. But, oh well!
Glad you enjoyed this!
And thanks for reading and commenting! :)

manzilmukul

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.