Fan Fictions

**Writer [Reader] To Writer!**PG 76 (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 94

kautilya04

Goldie

kautilya04

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Destiny.

Originally posted by kautilya04

This is a fabulous idea! :) Hope it inspires more members to come forward and ask for suggestions than...well...look for easier routes Stern Smile 

@ Nabila - Very enlightening post! 

My story is not based on any show, but I've been learning through rather unpleasant experiences that posting anything on the internet is akin to offering it on a plate for others to claim (in part or whole) as their own...

Coming back to this thread, I'd be glad to help but I'm not a very good/creative/smart/prolific writer :/

My particular talent lies in testing the patience of the most saintly readers until they are overwhelmed with the urge to grab at the nearest mortar and pestle and ground me into fine...exceptionally fine powder Day Dreaming LOLLOL

If gaining that expertise sounds appealing, look no further! Thumbs Up But I wont be able to provide tips until late next week Disapprove  See! Now that's what I'm talking about! Annoy and then run away! Approve Oh I have so much wisdom to impart Heart 

@Bold, says the girl who wrote greatness of 64 chapters! LOL

Lol LOL 64 chapters of balderdash does not maketh a good writer LOLLOL

Damn! Boss coming! Got to go! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lazyleaves

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "**Writer [Reader] To Writer!**PG 76 (Page 7)" in Fan Fictions forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

vfordonkey

IF-Rockerz

vfordonkey

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
@Nikita - That is exactly what I say. The three writers in question are inspired from a scenario, to create a new story. It is not plagiarism. Fan fiction comes under inspiration. =)

@.Destiny. - A point well made. i myself make it a point to include emotions. Some have told me my writings are all about emotions ROFL

@Nabila - See, I have aspirations to do Law someday, so I'm gonna keep that snippet in mind LOL One question though - How can writing Fan Fiction be illegal, if I we are not using it for commercial purposes? Nobody here is recieving monetary gain from what they write, so how can FF writing be illegal?

Take the example of 50 Shades Of Gray by E.L James ... The story had originally been an Edward-Bella (From Twilight by S.Meyer) Fan-Fiction. Later however, James removed the story from FF Net, changed the names in the story, and published it as her own.

Meyer could have slapped an accusation of plagiarism, but it would hold no grounds for James hath changeth the names

So, unless one of us is asked by publishers to sell them our Arnav Khushi Story, I can't really see how we are doing something illegal ...

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I'm no expert in these matters. If I crossed a line, I apologise in advance =)

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

BarmeenForevernikita_88lazyleaves

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by V323

@Nikita - That is exactly what I say. The three writers in question are inspired from a scenario, to create a new story. It is not plagiarism. Fan fiction comes under inspiration. =)

@.Destiny. - A point well made. i myself make it a point to include emotions. Some have told me my writings are all about emotions ROFL

@Nabila - See, I have aspirations to do Law someday, so I'm gonna keep that snippet in mind LOL One question though - How can writing Fan Fiction be illegal, if I we are not using it for commercial purposes? Nobody here is recieving monetary gain from what they write, so how can FF writing be illegal?

Take the example of 50 Shades Of Gray by E.L James ... The story had originally been an Edward-Bella (From Twilight by S.Meyer) Fan-Fiction. Later however, James removed the story from FF Net, changed the names in the story, and published it as her own.

Meyer could have slapped an accusation of plagiarism, but it would hold no grounds for James hath changeth the names

So, unless one of us is asked by publishers to sell them our Arnav Khushi Story, I can't really see how we are doing something illegal ...

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I'm no expert in these matters. If I crossed a line, I apologise in advance =)

It's illegal in the sense that it's not our original characters, our original background story, etc on which the Fan Fiction has been based upon. 

Think of it this way -  a person writes a spin-off story on your story, Glass. The writer uses your characters, your background story and then writers her own story from there, with her own twists etc. 

If you had made Glass with completely original characters, new names everything, then that would be your own work. But since you used Arnav and Khushi - and when someone reads those two names, they connect it to Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon - then that's when things get tricky. 

That's why, legally, a lot of people say you cannot put the accusation of someone plagiarising someone else Fan Fiction - but I don't know if that's changing. 

This is just my understanding of it - I could be wrong, and feel free to correct me if I am. 

~K

BarmeenForeverAanya.lazyleaves

Aphrodite88

IF-Rockerz

Aphrodite88

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged
Thanks for creating this thread!
I just have a question. Yesterday i saw Love.Khushi discontinue her story as it is similar to another writer's ongoing story. In such cases, where concepts are similar, is it classified as plagiarism? And does the need to discontinue the story arises as different writers have different story plots, characterisations, styles of writing, no two minds are alike...? Please help me!

I am asking this question because I have this concept in my mind to write a Fan Fiction on Arnav and Khushi, and until now i have not come across this concept written by someone else yet but its not like i have read all the stories in IF either. If i start writing this story with my concept, and suddenly one day someone tells me they have already wrote a story with a similar concept before...will be my work be classified under plagiarism then? And will i need to discontinue it?

CryCry

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lazyleaves

lazyleaves

IF-Stunnerz

lazyleaves

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by V323

Originally posted by Appy_Indy

i have few questions. when people write they are inspired from a particular story to what extent can it be an inspiration

- a particular scene from a movie or a book then a new story is built up
- entire concept of a story or a moive entirely redone
- will it be called as aplagiarism if the entire concept remains the same without any innovation?
- if some scenes are copied ditto.

About the first point - See, if you are using a particular scene, from a movie/book, then a disclaimer should be put up, stating the movie/book you took it from. The scene in question could also be demarkated separately, as in if your entire update is in black, the scene in question should be blue or something.

The rest count as plagiarism.

I think the second point doesn't count as plagiarism. For eg if I want to write an ArHi FF on Baazigar. I can keep the plot same but the twists and turns can be different.

-Koeli_Appy-BarmeenForeverKrani

lazyleaves

IF-Stunnerz

lazyleaves

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-Jot.

^First of all, damn. Look at you. Going all out. HAHA. I actually read that whole post and it was pretty interesting cause I had no idea.. XD

I mean, it's quite obvious that technically, we don't own the work that we post on here since it's a fan fiction but.. i didn't realize that we're taking the work of someone else and using it as a basis of our work. XD

And I.. i really just wanted to tell you i love your sig. But if i had posted just to say that.. i would've been spamming so.. *hides*

Can you please link 18shabbo's Plagiarism post on the first page so that members don't have to go through all the pages?

Also Nabila (18shabbo) meant can you change the title to *Writer-Reader-Writer* or something on those lines where the reader is also mentioned in the topic? :)

BarmeenForeverAngel-Jot.Maria.

lazyleaves

IF-Stunnerz

lazyleaves

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aphrodite88

Thanks for creating this thread!
I just have a question. Yesterday i saw Love.Khushi discontinue her story as it is similar to another writer's ongoing story. In such cases, where concepts are similar, is it classified as plagiarism? And does the need to discontinue the story arises as different writers have different story plots, characterisations, styles of writing, no two minds are alike...? Please help me!

I am asking this question because I have this concept in my mind to write a Fan Fiction on Arnav and Khushi, and until now i have not come across this concept written by someone else yet but its not like i have read all the stories in IF either. If i start writing this story with my concept, and suddenly one day someone tells me they have already wrote a story with a similar concept before...will be my work be classified under plagiarism then? And will i need to discontinue it?

CryCry

Similar in what sense? In the sense of concept? Like A and K's first meeting starts their hate for each other and then the story takes off. Many stories take off on that note. But how you write it, what twists you bring to the story, what depth and layers you give the characters, etc that makes the difference :)

Go ahead and write it :)

Two minds can think alike but not in the same order ;)

BarmeenForeverAphrodite88Maria.

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 4:03am | IP Logged
I have come across stories where the concept is really similar but it isn't plagiarism because that...concept is so popular. 

Recently i was told that there is this other Arranged Marriage story where Arnav and Khushi are fixed by their grandfathers, etc etc. Now that is ridiculously similar to mine, but I can't say it's plagiarism, because it depends on the way she writes out her story, the twists she puts in hers may be different to mine, etc. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Koeli_Appy-BarmeenForeverAphrodite88Maria.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top