Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Principles

Forever-KA IF-Rockerz
Forever-KA
Forever-KA

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged

Background: I forgot my wallet at home. I therefore have no cash or card to buy anything. Since morning I am on water only. No tea, coffee, breakfast, lunch etc. Now I am getting hungry. There is food in office break room but not mine. No nuts and biscuits type stuff to be seen. Usually there is food every second day (due to meetings) but nothing today. I have two options

- remain hungry

- ask/borrow money

Problem:  The problem is I have never borrowed a cent from anyone except immediate family. Not from friends in school/collefe or colleagues. Yes I am pretty sure lol. I dont like it and it has become a principle of sorts. However I have not forgotten my wallet like that and felt hungry either.

Question:

- What would you do in situation?
- Am I getting over serious here?
- How much principles mean to you?

I am reminded of following situation. lol

Lene wala dene wala
Kaun hai bolo upar wala
Woh hai jiske saath
Woh duniya se darta nahi

Edited by King-Anu - 11 March 2013 at 10:08am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanet-Aarya-moomin4455McNinja_Angie_-Spirited-

McNinja IF-Rockerz
McNinja
McNinja

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged
Is there a colleague you consider yourself to be closer to, more along the lines of being friends than co-workers. You wouldn't borrow from such a colleague? 

It's not that big of a deal. It's life and people understand, I think. Empathy is not dead. LOL

Lol, here's a shot as far as your questions go:

-I would borrow money from a friend/co-worker without even thinking about it. It would be a given. In fact, I'd guess if anyone knew about your situation..they would offer themselves. If you have such a colleague at work. 

-No, I don't think you're being too serious. Principles vary person to person. What I may consider a small deal, may be hard for someone else to compromise on. 

-Principles are important but not all equal, for me at least. Not all require a fundamentally moral stance. I think my threshold to overlook certain ones is greater compared to other ones. While it's great to live your life based on your own set of standards, compromises are a big part of life too. I was talking about this in another thread..certain things or people are worth sacrificing/compromising a bit of yourself for. 

Edited by McNinja - 11 March 2013 at 1:26pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455_Angie_Forever-KA

Forever-KA IF-Rockerz
Forever-KA
Forever-KA

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Nope. lol. However one guy borrows 20s from me, time to time. I can go to him lol.

I am interested in what would you guys do? And if you have any principles set in life then is there a threshold when you will be willing to break the principles? My example is just for fun and I used it to ask a question. lol. I know what i will do.

Please give your input about principles and presence/absence of threshold to break it.

will check later.

thanks

Edited by King-Anu - 11 March 2013 at 10:14am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455McNinja

boreddamsel IF-Rockerz
boreddamsel
boreddamsel

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged
Lol.. I literally had to threaten my friends into taking money from me the other day. Is there no one who say you hang out with at office... Have lunch with? Darn.. I would say get money from somewhere and buy yourself some food. No point thinking about what others might think of you.. Food is important and everyone will understand. This might seem silly but be sure to smile and say hi to the person who does help you out next time you see him/her.

Will comment more later. I need food too.

Edited by boreddamsel - 11 March 2013 at 10:42am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Forever-KA

moomin4455 IF-Dazzler
moomin4455
moomin4455

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged
I would have no problem borrowing from people I work with - they know where I live (!) and know that I'll pay it back.

You forgot your wallet - you didn't commit a crime. People will understand.

ETA: If it was someone like my mother she would prefer to go hungry than ever be 'in debt' to someone. I have a much higher threshold I think.

Where would I draw the line? The odd 20 is fine, but I would never ask an individual for a larger amount for any other purpose than buying some odd items - like lunch for the day. I would never ask a person for a loan unless they were immediate family - where I know I won't be judged. 

When you start to borrow larger sums of money from individuals - even friends - it changes the dynamics of that friendship. Money and friendship should n'er mix IMO. Unless you are able to pay that sum of money back straightaway...but I asking for it in the first place tends to change peoples' opinion of you...

Edited by moomin4455 - 11 March 2013 at 11:55am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Forever-KAboreddamsel

LovelyPlanet Goldie
LovelyPlanet
LovelyPlanet

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by King-Anu

Nope. lol. However one guy borrows 20s from me, time to time. I can go to him lol.

I am interested in what would you guys do? And if you have any principles set in life then is there a threshold when you will be willing to break the principles? My example is just for fun and I used it to ask a question. lol. I know what i will do.

Please give your input about principles and presence/absence of threshold to break it.

will check later.

thanks
Heartenening to see so much concern for you..Smile
i have no principles... when it comes to basic needs(that includes a lot of things) Ouch
will definitely borrow even if i dont know those people (working in the same office? how come?) explaining my situation... Cant suffer for anything..treat your body like temple..
money is totally man made thing..how is philanthropy supposed to work if everyone start believing into principles..i lend and money without expecting back and borrow with the same thought Smile

borrow immediately and eat something healthy if you haven't already..

Edited by lonely0planet - 11 March 2013 at 2:29pm

Forever-KA

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged

What would I do? You could be in for a shock as it may not go with your principles! But here goes- Tongue

I almost always have a good breakfast before leaving home so if I have to miss my lunch as may happen due to sudden change of plan or travel during the day I could  do without  lunch provided Id be too busy to feel hungry.

If I feel hungry and am in my office (without my wallet or lunch box which I normally carry) I d  simply have to mention that I left my lunch box home and any of my colleague would readily offer to share his/her lunch with me. We all do that.

Another option I would have is to ring the canteen and order food (to be paid later)

Third option – if I had to borrow some money from my colleagues  coz I left my wallet home it wouldnt really be such an issue at all. In all probability any of my friends who knew that I d left my money home would buy me lunch that day and not accept money. I could always return the favour later. Insisting on paying for the food may not be taken well.

Principles do matter but  I m not even sure I get what principle we are talking about in this case. If one forgot ones wallet home should be such a disaster? Does one really need to make life unnecessarily complicated?  

I see that you  added your explanation for the trivial example for more in depth discussion regarding threhold of principles .Will get to that later.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

peridot.moomin4455Forever-KA

reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:20am | IP Logged
I don't think it's a matter of principles per say: It's a matter of your comfort zone. There is nothing empirically wrong with borrowing money from a friend or coworker: especially in your case. 

I have a great relationship with a few of my coworkers; always bringing in goodies to share, grabbing coffee for the lot, and it's a two way street. Sometimes I pick up the bill, sometimes someone else does. I've forgotten my wallet at home as well, and my co-worker bought me lunch; I paid her back the next day. Trust me, you won't be judged or considered a flake. 

Again, it's not about it being empirically right or wrong, it's about your comfort zone; and if you truly aren't comfortable, not having lunch one day won't hurt you :)

Forever-KA

Go to top