Army efforts on to rescue 5-year-old

Posted: 17 years ago

Neha Khanna

Sunday, July 23, 2006 (Kurukshetra):

Army rescuers digging a tunnel to reach a five-year-old boy trapped for more than 40 hours in a borewell are a few feet away from him.

But concern is mounting in Kurukshetra, where the boy, Prince, slipped into the well on Saturday while playing near it.

He was found to be stable on CCTV images. But he did appear worried once in a while going through an ordeal perhaps, which will be the most difficult of his life.

In the morning, he was given tea and biscuits and oxygen was pumped into the borewell.

A fire brigade team from Mumbai is heading to join the rescue effort.

"My daughter Payal came to me. Being a toddler, all she could say was Baba has fallen in the nallah. I rushed to the site after I heard this. I checked the nallah but Prince wasn't there.

"However, the children insisted that he had fallen there. So, I called out for him and he replied. Now I was convinced he was there. I couldn't do anything to rescue him but fellow villagers did try and help," said Prince's mother.

Emotional rescue

Since 3 pm (IST) Saturday, servicemen from the 66 Engineers regiment of Ambala Cantonment have worked tirelessly on the rescue tunnel.

Rain hampered work briefly, but rescuers are emotionally involved in the effort. Two crane operators have been working without a break for 15 hours.

State Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, many villagers and well wishers have arrived in Kurukshetra.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also prayed for the speedy rescue and good health of the young boy.

Residents are holding a round-the-clock prayer vigil for the safe rescue of Prince.

Prayers are being held for Prince in Allahabad at a school for visually impaired students.

tfs!may lord save him!i have been watching this on tv since yesterday! 😭
thanxx 4 sharing this btu i've watched this on tv from yesterday.....itz been like 49 hrs since hez been stuck in there
may god save him 😭

He's out finally... after 50 hrs of struggle between life and death!!!!! Wish him a Long n safe life...God Bless!!!
whoa hes been in that well for 40 hrs!!! hes a very brave boy

thnx for sharing
Thanks for sharing!!
he's out now!! 😃
I'm glad he's out now! Thanks for posting.
Thanxs 4 sharin yaar 😛

I watched it on Star News wen dey were showin vids on him stuck.

I prayed 4 him 2 get out soon yaar i felt so sorry 4 him 😭

Im really happy dat hez out n safe now. 😛

I must say hez a very brave boy, i mean it must av been a nitemare 4 him.

Thanks for sharing
Thats so sad 😔

i'm so glad the kid is alive 😳