Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

Mione

Goldie

Mione

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged
Hi everyoneSmile, I was looking for the HP books in French and came across this site (HarryPotterWiki) which many of you may know of; It had the titles of each of the 7 books in Hindi and of 5 of them in Marathi. No other Indian language translation was available. I just thought of posting it here since I found some of them funny.LOL I guess that's probably because I'm so used to the name in English that it's just bizzare while seeing it in another language that I know of. Embarrassed

Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Paras Patthar

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Tatvachintakacha Pashan

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Rahasyamayi Tahakh.ana

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Rahasyamay Talaghar

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Azkaban ka Qaidi

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Azkabanacha Kaidi

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Aag ka Pyala : (Harry Potter and the Chalice of Fire)

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Agnichashak

Harry Potter and The Order of the Pheonix:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Mayapanchi ka Samuha: (Harry Potter and the Order of the Illusion Bird)

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Phinix Sena

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Haf-Blud Prins

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Maut ke Tohfe

(Sorry the Devanagari script did not get posted so had to delete it...it can be found at - http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_titles_of_Harry_Potter_books_in_other_languages)

~Alyesha Smile

P.S. Please do look further as I have already and will keep updating in future posts whenever I find anything new about HP in Hindi...and so can anyone else if they do. Smile

Edited by Mione - 07 March 2013 at 4:27am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha--GredForge-LumosEphemeraepiphany.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "HP Titles in Hindi and Marathi" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Cutecj

Goldie

Cutecj

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 3:33am | IP Logged
nice the titles r funny. It actually show hw hp is widely known! Thnx 4 sharing al.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

MioneLumosEphemera

Mione

Goldie

Mione

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Cutecj

nice the titles r funny. It actually show hw hp is widely known! Thnx 4 sharing al.

Anytime Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Lumos

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged
Good lord, good lord! Stern Smile I have had such a riot discussing these titles with my friends at school. LOL Did you know Salazar Slytherin is called Nagesh Naagshakti in the Hindi version? ROFL

MioneLumosEphemera

KhotaSikaShreya

Viewbie

KhotaSikaShreya

BollyCurry Script Supervisor

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mione

Okay this one is a good translation. Clap

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Rahasyamayi Tahakh.ana

This one sounds like a CID episode title! LOL

Azkaban ka Qaidi...perfect Hindi movie title. LOL

Aag ka Pyala...ROFL This sounds like the person is ready to drink the fire. ROFL 

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Mayapanchi ka Samuha: (Harry Potter and the Order of the Illusion Bird)

I'm sorry this is just too much. ROFL 

Isn't this the same as English? In Hindi it should be Hairi Potar aur Aadha-Khoon Rajkumar. ROFL 

Maut ke Tohfe...that's Death Present. ROFL 

MioneLumosEphemera

Mione

Goldie

Mione

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 3:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by epiphany.

Good lord, good lord! Stern Smile I have had such a riot discussing these titles with my friends at school. LOL Did you know Salazar Slytherin is called Nagesh Naagshakti in the Hindi version? ROFL

Yeah yeah (Kani - May I call you that?)...I doTongue...I remember discussing with my friends too LOL. Prisoner of Azkaban was telecast on Pogo in Hindi and the next day in school, all we could do was crack up laughing while saying Tumpishaach and Mugloo and Khoji and what not!!!!ROFLROFLROFL

But you know to an extent I would say the movies are a tad bit better as far as dubbing goes. The book in Hindi however, has some translated phrases which make no sense whatsoeverSilly. I just found a site stating this:

Pg. 113 (UK edition): Ron had a piece of steak-and-kidney pie halfway to his mouth, but he'd forgotten all about it.

Pg. 142 (Hindi translation): Ron ke haat mein steak-aur-kidney bhari kachauri ka tukda tha, jise voh muh ki taraf aadhi doori tak toh le gaya tha, parantu voh uske barey mein bhool chuka tha!!!

LOLLOLLOL

That said, this one takes the cake:

Pg. 194 (UK edition): So I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down

Pg. 244 (Hindi Translation): Isliye, humne usse bataya, Fluffy cake ka tukda hai, basharte aap usse shaant karne ka tareeka jaante ho!!! 
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Edited by Mione - 07 March 2013 at 4:10am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

noorsandLumosEphemeraepiphany.

Mione

Goldie

Mione

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 3:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by KS_Shreya

Originally posted by Mione

Okay this one is a good translation. Clap

Totally Agree!!! Approve

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Rahasyamayi Tahakhana

This one sounds like a CID episode title! LOL

Haha...couldn't put it any better LOLLOLLOL

Azkaban ka Qaidi...perfect Hindi movie title. LOL

Totally Smile

Aag ka Pyala...ROFL This sounds like the person is ready to drink the fire. ROFL 

Well yes...but what else could they have kept it then Embarrassed. In fact I have always wondered why the English title was 'Goblet of Fire' in the first place. Wouldn't it be better to name it HP and the Tri-Wizard Tournament. But then maybe JKR did not want to give out much through the title Ermm

I'm sorry this is just too much. ROFL 

LOL...It has a nice ring to it but I feel they should have left it as 'Phoenix'. Big smile

Isn't this the same as English? In Hindi it should be Hairi Potar aur Aadha-Khoon Rajkumar. ROFL 

Exactly...I have no idea either!!! LOL

Maut ke Tohfe...that's Death Present. ROFL 

I know but they must not have found the Hindi counterpart of 'Hallows' Wink LOL

@Blue: My view on your views LOL

Also, do go through my previous post, I'm sure you'll find it difficult to breathe laughing Wink

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LumosEphemera

Mione

Goldie

Mione

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 4:01am | IP Logged
With Regard to PS:

A little work on making the book relevant to the Indian cultural context would have gone a long way in making the book more accessible to its intended audience.

There are a few disjoint, weak attempts to throw in some cultural relevance. The names of the four Hogwarts houses have been translated/substituted to what might be more palatable to the Hindi readers. So Gryffindor becomes GarudDwaar, Hufflepuff becomes MehnatKash, Ravelclaw becomes CheelGhaat while Slytherin becomes NaagShakti. Attempts like these are very inconsistent which makes them a little annoying... for instance, while Quidditch stays Quidditch, Chasers become Dhaavak, Quaffle becomes Toofan LOL, Keeper becomes Rakshak, Bludgers become Pahalwaan (LOL), Seeker becomes Khoji and Snitch becomes Sunehri Gaind. The Mirror of Erised (etymology: desire written backwards) also became Shihawhk (which is basically Khwahish written backwards and thus honors the authoress' original intentions even if it is awkward to end a word in devnagri with "half" a 'kh').

Edited by Mione - 07 March 2013 at 4:02am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Ephemera

Post Reply New Post

Go to top