Debate Mansion

Why are fans too obsessive? Mod Note Pg 28! (Page 29)

Post Reply New Post

Page 29 of 31

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged
@Birdie, Mooms.. loving the new discussion! 

Birdie, I think obsession could be psychological or biological depending on the object of obsession .. or the extent to which the person is obsessed. OCD is neurotic ... but isn't everyone OCD to some extent? Doesn't everyone obsess over something that might seem irrelevant to others? I guess when the obsession goes to an extreme that the object of obsession becomes more important than everything else in your life is when the alarm bell should go off! Ouch 
Self-help programs.. yes, your own hand. One tight slap on my face usually helps me stop obsessing over silly stuff LOL LOL  On a serious note, I recommend the Gita.. 

Mooms.. I need to think more about the questions you posed. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

BirdieNumNummoomin4455iria_luvsLindor

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why are fans too obsessive? Mod Note Pg 28! (Page 29)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by moomin4455

Can anything become an object of obsession? Is it primarily because the object of one's obsession confers pleasure, comfort and/or is an emotional crutch of sorts...? Do people overcome their obsession by becoming obsessed with something else more healthy or less benign..??

I think you hit the nail with the bold. 
I was trying to come up with something you might obsess over that gives you pain and sorrow... and yes, that can happen too.. thoughts of suicide, grief over the loss of someone or something, thoughts about something that evokes fear, say a nightmare or even your exam results. I guess it doesn't have to be something that's good.. it could be bad as well and make you feel worse. 

Why do people get obsessed? I think its human nature to get carried away by our thoughts. The only way to control it is by realizing there are more important things in life.. and then.. you obsess over those instead LOL

Now that brings me to your last question.. are those more healthy or less benign .. not always!! Example? One might realize they want to lose weight.. and drive people around them nuts by obsessing over every morsel that they consume. Or they might want to make potloads of money.. and obsess over ways to cheat.

Edited by boreddamsel - 28 March 2013 at 8:17pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

BirdieNumNummoomin4455McNinjairia_luvsLindor

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged
Why are we trying to find the causes and cures? What about the entertainment value when we see the fans going berserk. LOL Let's reevaluate what the greater good is here. 

moomin4455boreddamseliria_luvsLindorrini_kat

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by McNinja

Why are we trying to find the causes and cures? What about the entertainment value when we see the fans going berserk. LOL Let's reevaluate what the greater good is here. 

LOLall's good here- no one's getting cured.Wink In this case, it's as much fun giving out the pill as it is in making certain observationsLOL

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 29 March 2013 at 3:23am

iria_luvsLindorboreddamselMcNinja

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:57am | IP Logged

I'm sure there is a genetic component - there always seems to be with behavioural traits, with a variation in the level of obsession an individual is capable across a population...

Can anything become an object of obsession? Is it primarily because the object of one's obsession confers pleasure, comfort and/or is an emotional crutch of sorts...? Do people overcome their obsession by becoming obsessed with something else more healthy or less benign..??

I would have simply attributed cause to low mental age and even lower levels of maturity and overall development.LOL For example, i cant imagine these girls growing to be grannies and obsessing over chikna actors. Or would they? Is there such a thing as a naughty nanny?LOL

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 29 March 2013 at 3:20am

moomin4455boreddamselMcNinjairia_luvsLindor

moomin4455

IF-Dazzler

moomin4455

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 6:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

I'm sure there is a genetic component - there always seems to be with behavioural traits, with a variation in the level of obsession an individual is capable across a population...

I would have simply attributed cause to low mental age and even lower levels of maturity and overall development.LOL For example, i cant imagine these girls growing to be grannies and obsessing over chikna actors. Or would they? Is there such a thing as a naughty nanny?LOL

Er...yeah! You need to go visit some of the fora around here: grannies talking about having dirty dreams over an actor and then in the same vein speaking about that actor being 'like a son' to them. Where have you been?? LOL

Edited by moomin4455 - 29 March 2013 at 7:17am

BirdieNumNumiria_luvsLindorboreddamselMcNinja

moomin4455

IF-Dazzler

moomin4455

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by McNinja

I know: sit back and enjoy the madness!

But even going beyond fan obsession, people become obsessive over the strangest things...it's fascinating and can be scary for the person being obsessed as well - I'm sure at some point even that person must realise that something is off about their behaviour. 

Are most people who are obsessed truly not aware they've gone OTT or are they deliberately in denial about it? In fact do most people with an obsession admit they have an obsession?

I remember reading somewhere that individuals with autism and that spectrum of disorders often have obsessive behaviour over objects and routines...

iria_luvsLindorboreddamselMcNinja

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged
To be honest, I have seen crazier fans for Harry Potter and Twilight. Like they take extremeness to a whole new level. 

Yeah, some fans turn me off and they do start blurring the line between reality and fiction - which can be disturbing, and pretty annoying. 

But I guess they are either delusional, or just kids. 
If it's the latter, then I hope they grow out of it. 

I mean, I love Sobti and would love to meet him someday - but even I cannot deny that his recent pictures of him leaning against the tree, in jeans, that beard, and that hair, have mostly made me cringe than swoon.

And I won't really go to the extent of stalking Pashmeen or making up sources to spread rumours on the forum. 

But to be honest, it's these fans who have made the forum slightly entertaining at times as well :')

~K

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455boreddamselMcNinjairia_luvsLindorDiehardYMfan

Post Reply New Post

Go to top