Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 9:26am | IP Logged

Why is person's gender (sex) identity (male/female/others) so important to people?

Its a part of social conditioning. Other than that you could blame grammatical compulsions for it. When I refer to you in the third person should I use he/she/her/him ...? You get the practical problem faced?  LOL

How important is our gender identity?

My off hand response was that it hardly matters but I guess we tend to take a lot of things in our life for granted. The ordeal that an athlete who was brought up as a female  had to face due to the gender determination tests she had to go through highlights the significance it can sometimes assume. For details of the case you could check here-  http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/india/india-athlete-gender-ordeal

Some genetic or hormonal conditions could get diagnosed much later in life (around puberty) and change the whole course of a person's life. It would be quite traumatic for a person to suddenly be told that  she /he is not the gender that she /he had believed to be all these years.

Is gender really an expression of one's essential self?

No, I dont think so. It is more of a conditioned response.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Sex Debate (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged
I think to answer that question it would depend on the cultural diaspora one is being brought up in: What is the social connotation of your gender in the culture, society, religion, government etc of where you are? 
External influences will always play a role in how one relates to their gender identity, and it's short sides and highlights. There is also the component of primary influences (family, and how you've been raised with in your household) and secondary influences (arguable the most influential: media, society, culture, school, friends) and tying it all together: Your experiences. 

-Aarya-

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Gender identity is important because of how society functions. There is a certain level of social conditioning to how genders behave and interact. In an ideal world we would all be human and gender would be subordinate to personality and human qualities. But it is impossible to have a society completely devoid of gender identity. The best we can do is make a sincere attempt for gender equity and ending gender stereotypes.

I don't know how important gender identity really is. Many of my best friends growing up were boys. So I've been a tom boy with boyish qualities since I was a kid. I don't mind being perceived as androgynous or boyish. But at the end of the day, I'm still a girl and I do place some relative importance on being seen as a girl.

To a large extent, I think we identify with and embrace our biology and have an affinity to it. It may not be an expression of oneself, but it is one part of self expression. Gender, nationality, language, culture, race, religion, class, income, social status and a plethora of other things collectively form self expression.

Sometimes gender seems trivial, but when we see transgender children/people struggle to fit in and gain an identity ' we realize how important it really is in society. Perhaps the world would be better without so much gender emphasis ' but it's a double edged sword. Can we really strip away all these little identifiers that make who we are. Without it we would all be nothing but one carbon compound life form indistinguishable from the other.

I have always believed that people learn to be women and men vs what they are born as! We tend to confuse sex with gender, while sex is your biological and physiological characteristic which defines a person from male to female vs gender is where society sets the rules to your behavior.  If such rules weren't set would we have been different people all together?

Edited by -Aarya- - 01 March 2013 at 10:13am

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Angie_

Why is person's gender (sex) identity (male/female/others) so important to people?

Its a part of social conditioning. Other than that you could blame grammatical compulsions for it. When I refer to you in the third person should I use he/she/her/him ...? You get the practical problem faced?  LOL

Lets go with the it reference, how would you address an animal LOL And I have been recently told by someone that I am their first ever genderless friend Wink

My off hand response was that it hardly matters but I guess we tend to take a lot of things in our life for granted. The ordeal that an athlete who was brought up as a female  had to face due to the gender determination tests she had to go through highlights the significance it can sometimes assume. For details of the case you could check here-  http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/india/india-athlete-gender-ordeal

Some genetic or hormonal conditions could get diagnosed much later in life (around puberty) and change the whole course of a person's life. It would be quite traumatic for a person to suddenly be told that  she /he is not the gender that she /he had believed to be all these years.

There was an article which I read some time back about a Toronto couple who hid their son's gender for 5 years. And majority of the psychology research done on that subject states that "It's hard to say whether being raised gender-neutral will have any immediate or long-term psychological consequences for a child, purely because to date there is little empirical research examining this topic." So with out any research or proof of the psychological effect on the child, he could just live a natural life, wouldn't you agree? 

Is gender really an expression of one's essential self?

No, I dont think so. It is more of a conditioned response.

_Angie_

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 11:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Its a part of social conditioning. Other than that you could blame grammatical compulsions for it. When I refer to you in the third person should I use he/she/her/him ...? You get the practical problem faced? LOL

Lets go with the it reference, how would you address an animal LOL And I have been recently told by someone that I am their first ever genderless friend Wink

You want me to refer you as it? Shocked I am afraid I am socially cnditioned not to do it LOL
Hmmm ...I d refer to an animal as she or he if I knew its gender . I bet that poor thing must be going through hell to find the truth unless too sloshed to mind anything LOL

My off hand response was that it hardly matters but I guess we tend to take a lot of things in our life for granted. The ordeal that an athlete who was brought up as a female had to face due to the gender determination tests she had to go through highlights the significance it can sometimes assume. For details of the case you could check here- http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/india/india-athlete-gender-ordeal

Some genetic or hormonal conditions could get diagnosed much later in life (around puberty) and change the whole course of a person's life. It would be quite traumatic for a person to suddenly be told that she /he is not the gender that she /he had believed to be all these years.

There was an article which I read some time back about a Toronto couple who hid their son's gender for 5 years. And majority of the psychology research done on that subject states that "It's hard to say whether being raised gender-neutral will have any immediate or long-term psychological consequences for a child, purely because to date there is little empirical research examining this topic." So with out any research or proof of the psychological effect on the child, he could just live a natural life, wouldn't you agree?

I would not expect a gender neutral upbringing to cause any problem in leading a natural life for the individual provided the person grew up with the ability to handle any criticism that may come his way. The later is more important than any gender neutrality to maintain one's sanity IMO Tongue

-Aarya-

hkl75

hkl75

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged
Though instead of judging one as per their gender is wrong I cant refuse this is ones individuality which we cannot refuse. 
Like people r biased towards male particularly in our society. this should not happen. members of both genders should be treated equally.  

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

nishabee-Aarya-

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged

Its a part of social conditioning. Other than that you could blame grammatical compulsions for it. When I refer to you in the third person should I use he/she/her/him ...? You get the practical problem faced? LOL

You want me to refer you as it? Shocked I am afraid I am socially cnditioned not to do it LOL
Hmmm ...I d refer to an animal as she or he if I knew its gender . I bet that poor thing must be going through hell to find the truth unless too sloshed to mind anything LOL

My off hand response was that it hardly matters but I guess we tend to take a lot of things in our life for granted. The ordeal that an athlete who was brought up as a female had to face due to the gender determination tests she had to go through highlights the significance it can sometimes assume. For details of the case you could check here- http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/india/india-athlete-gender-ordeal

Some genetic or hormonal conditions could get diagnosed much later in life (around puberty) and change the whole course of a person's life. It would be quite traumatic for a person to suddenly be told that she /he is not the gender that she /he had believed to be all these years.

I would not expect a gender neutral upbringing to cause any problem in leading a natural life for the individual provided the person grew up with the ability to handle any criticism that may come his way. The later is more important than any gender neutrality to maintain one's sanity IMO Tongue

I have never felt bad for someone as I now feel for my new friend who thinks I am genderless LOL  What kind of friend am I  Shocked

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hkl75

Though instead of judging one as per their gender is wrong I cant refuse this is ones individuality which we cannot refuse. 
Like people r biased towards male particularly in our society. this should not happen. members of both genders should be treated equally.  

Your individuality is your choice! I too agree that people should be treated equal regardless of their gender!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top