Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged
How important is the identity of your gender?

I am talking about gender, the mental aspect, not sex as the physical aspect! 

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

hkl75LovelyPlanetmoomin4455_Angie_Forever-KAepiphany.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Sex Debate" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged
You sure have increased the viewership of this topic by 20-30% by using the word "sex" instead of "gender". lol

@ topic. To be honest I am not clear on the question. The word gender is used in social and culture context while word sex reflects physical attributes. I identify to my gender however not satisfied by gender role i.e. expression of gender identity. To me that is more important.

I hope someone with more knowledge on this topic and who understood the question will be able to give a more appropriate and relevant answer.  

Let me present to you a case of confused gender identity. lol. sorry couldnt resist

Edited by King-Anu - 28 February 2013 at 1:50pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanet-Aarya-reeha...k

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged

You sure had me coming in like curious cat saying Whoa! Nelly!

I'm a bit confused like King Anu though. Is there something specific about gender identity you want to discuss conforming/non conforming to gender roles, stereotypes , gender pride etc. Or something more general and light like mistaken online identities.

Just for starters - I'm very androgynous on the internet. I'm often mistaken for a boy. At first I was taken aback. But now I have fun with it.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged
^^
You remind me of another member TheUltimate.

_Angie_

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged
Let me clarify my question with some details...

Why is person's gender (sex) identity (male/female/others) so important to people? How important is our gender identity?  Is gender really an expression of one's essential self?

Edited by -Aarya- - 28 February 2013 at 6:56pm

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Why is person's gender (sex) identity (male/female/others) so important to people?

A person's gender identity is not important to people. They only like talking about it scandalously. Stern Smile

How important is our gender identity?  

It is greatly important for all those who ever feel confused or anxious about it. For them, figuring out their true gender is tough but highly essential. Suddenly the whole person that they are and what they think of themselves depend on their undiscovered gender identity. Acceptance is vital here. 

Is gender really an expression of one's essential self?

Yes, I think it is. I had read an article once which stated that men and women's brain are designed very differently and that they are bound to have unlikely thoughts and actions. While a person's gender is who they think they are and want to be, their sex is what they were born with. So, their sex is an expression of their essential self because their biological characteristics are such. Albeit it is unhealthy to base everything you are about on your gender/sex. So, it can be said that gender is one of the expressions of a person's essential self, but not the only expression. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hkl75-Aarya-

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by epiphany.

Originally posted by -Aarya-

Why is person's gender (sex) identity (male/female/others) so important to people?

A person's gender identity is not important to people. They only like talking about it scandalously. Stern Smile

How important is our gender identity?  

It is greatly important for all those who ever feel confused or anxious about it. For them, figuring out their true gender is tough but highly essential. Suddenly the whole person that they are and what they think of themselves depend on their undiscovered gender identity. Acceptance is vital here.

So does it mean that if you thought the person you were dealing with was a man and now the person's identity is known to be a woman, your perception of the person changes? And why is that?

Is gender really an expression of one's essential self?

Yes, I think it is. I had read an article once which stated that men and women's brain are designed very differently and that they are bound to have unlikely thoughts and actions. While a person's gender is who they think they are and want to be, their sex is what they were born with. So, their sex is an expression of their essential self because their biological characteristics are such. Albeit it is unhealthy to base everything you are about on your gender/sex. So, it can be said that gender is one of the expressions of a person's essential self, but not the only expression. 

Shouldn't the person be a human first, then  biased towards his or her gender? How difference are man's expressions vs woman's expressions? In essential don't we all have same expression regardless of our gender?

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 8:46am | IP Logged

Gender identity is important because of how society functions. There is a certain level of social conditioning to how genders behave and interact. In an ideal world we would all be human and gender would be subordinate to personality and human qualities. But it is impossible to have a society completely devoid of gender identity. The best we can do is make a sincere attempt for gender equity and ending gender stereotypes.

I don't know how important gender identity really is. Many of my best friends growing up were boys. So I've been a tom boy with boyish qualities since I was a kid. I don't mind being perceived as androgynous or boyish. But at the end of the day, I'm still a girl and I do place some relative importance on being seen as a girl.

To a large extent, I think we identify with and embrace our biology and have an affinity to it. It may not be an expression of oneself, but it is one part of self expression. Gender, nationality, language, culture, race, religion, class, income, social status and a plethora of other things collectively form self expression.

Sometimes gender seems trivial, but when we see transgender children/people struggle to fit in and gain an identity we realize how important it really is in society. Perhaps the world would be better without so much gender emphasis but it's a double edged sword. Can we really strip away all these little identifiers that make who we are. Without it we would all be nothing but one carbon compound life form indistinguishable from the other.

-Aarya-

Post Reply New Post

Go to top