indi's index, from the blast from the past pages - Page 11

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: indi52

this is not FUNNY

about 10 minutes on the third of july: wrote this on 6 july at a time when i wouldn't really write on the main forum. i was terribly touched by that sequence... even now as i read through, quakes in me... i think he callled her 47 times, yeah, i tried to count. one count i gave to a mere "kh-" because he just made it all sound perfect like the word khushi belonged only to her.

the first almost 10-minute sequence of the 3rd july episode was one of the most beautiful i've ever seen anywhere. we all remember arnav frantically looking for khushi, finding her, and bringing her back to consciousness. i was fascinated by everything in that scene, including what was said, with words and otherwise.

for diehard ipkkndians, here's the text of arnav's dialogues on that day. much laughter has been shared over how many times he said "khushi." i think i managed to catch all of them. count if you are a stats freak. just read if you wish to go over those moments again, minus visuals πŸ˜†.

right at the end he says something very interesting. no need to say anything.

starting second sequence of 3rd july till last evening, 5th july, that's what he's been doing: not saying anything. or is he actually saying everything without uttering a word?

in these words of 3rd july lie the roots of many things we'll be seeing from now on, i feel. so, a ready reference. enjoy.

khushi! 

khushiii! 

khushi!

khushii!

he's looking for her scanning the ledge and the trench.

pause, he sees her.

smiles and makes his way to her:

khushi!!

rabba ve enters as he reaches her.

khushi, khushi, everything is fine... khushi! sab theek hai.

he gathers her close and draws her away from the slope.

rabba vey under. 

cut to shyam's call.

back to asr and khushi on level ground.

he checks to see if she's alright, notices her hand lying limp.

guest house fb, nainital fb, remembers how she's always held on to him even while unconscious, and now her hand is motionless.

khushi... khushi... khushi... khushi, don't worry, sab theek hai, khushi.. everything is fine(shaking her gently) main bhi theek hoon... we're safe now, khushi.

looks at her face, perplexed, worried sick.

khushi, tum kuch bolti kyon nahin... (voice thickening)... khushi, say something, dammit. 

growing urgency, shakes her face.

khushi... what... khushi, baat karo mujhse... (voice rising with an edge of anger born of extreme worry) khushi, say something!

khushi!! khushi! khushi.

crash of thunder, music, he sees blood on his hands from the back of her head.

khushi! khushi! khushi, talk to me dammit! this is not FUNNY!

lifts her hand and starts rubbing it.

khushi, kuch bolo!! say something... please say something, khushi, khush-!

her hand falls to the floor, lifeless. crash.

he's nonplussed. mournful music strains in. he's beginning to panic, close to tears. looking at her face, imploring.

please kuch bolo na, please say something dammit, KHUSHI!

looks at her face cradled in his hand. hugs her to him, crying.

looks at her again.

khushi, khushi, wake up please.

pleads.

checks to see if she's breathing, hand below her nostrils. nothing.

noooh... apni ankhen kholo, khushi please please... just breathe... just breathe, khushi... i'm telling YOU TO BREATHE DAMMIT!

lays her on the ground, starts pumping her chest.

tearful.

khushi, wake up, please.

flashback only voiceover then visual: 

khushi: phir aapke zindagi ki sabse achhi aur ranjhe ki zindagi ki sabsi buri ghadi ayegi. 

arnav: matlab? 

khushi: hum mar jayenge.

he starts and shudders at the memory of the heer ranjha scene.

pumps with determination.

khushi! khushi, wake up dammit.

voice wobbles even as he tries to stay in control.

khushi, say something to me...kh..

another memory in voice only this time: 

khushi: samajhiye hum bhi tara bangaye... raat mein daayen se tisra, jo sabse zyada chamak raha hai, wo hum hai.

he keeps pumping.

no khushi, you can't do this to me, khushi.

he won't let her go, she can't just die. mouth to mouth resuscitation. no use. he is desperate. in ragged whisper.

khushi, please say something.

strokes her face.

khushi, please say something.

pulls her face close and in tears, eyes shut, presses his lips to her forehead.

looks at her face tenderly.

voice thickening with tears and emotion:

khushi please, please khushi... khushi, mai tumhare b-!

he cuts short the bad bad thought.

tum mere sath aisa nahin kar sakti, khushi.

he's wilting under the weight of the horrific thought.

sobs... khushi... don't, you can't do this... sobs

remembers at the poolside he's told her that day of holi: 

jab tum meri paas hoti ho, to tumhare dil ki dhadkano ke saath saath mere dil ki dhadkane bhi tez ho jaati hai... hamari dhadkane ek ho jaati hai.

he lifts her hand and places it on his heart. holding her close he rests his head against her sobbing.

heart beats fade in dhak dhak dhak dhak. her fingers flutter, he is unaware.

tearful: 

khushi... 

hm! she says!

his eyes fly open.

hay hay hey hey hey rabba vey. 

he looks at her, she coughs, breathing in, he wraps her in his arms. hugs her close, gently rocking. 

strokes her hair and looks into her face.

tears choke his voice.

you- (i think that's what he said)

she tries to speak: arn-av-j-

he cuts in:

sh! sh! kuch bolne ki zaroorat nahin hai.

after this, there's not a single word spoken.

she lifts her hand and strokes his tear and blood stained cheek. he turns her palm and puts his lips to it, a joy filled kiss. tender and sweet. again he turns her face and kisses her forehead. music floats around them.

he folds her in his arms again, smiling delighted that she is here, here in his arms and alive.

rabba vey.

they just sit holding each other close, taking in the moment, one with the hills, greens, trees, sky. temple in the background.

rabba vey plays on.

he gets up, places her dupatta on her shoulders. she struggles to stand up, he moves to pick her up. 

her fingers reach up to hold his vest. 

a beautiful moment as he sees this. she is doing what she's always done, even when unconscious. 

he is absolutely ecstatic, turns and smiles into her eyes. 

he picks her up in his arms, they look at each other, a pause, he smiles, then starts walking.

he walks with her in his arms as he has done many times before.

she snuggles there easy, he is tall and strong and striding confidently, her dupatta floats, the temple looks on.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/60398853

wrote this on barun sobti - actor par excellence thread 9 page 19 in reply to momma1128's post... 

(credit uploader on YT)

hi anu,

i open last page, and this is right on top. those 10 odd minutes on 3 july hit me so hard, couldn't sleep eat think anything else for days. "this is not FUNNY," the voice hitting crazy notes, wobbling. i had to watch it repeatedly and get each and every word that was said. he said khushi maybe 70 to 80 times, don't remember the count... twice that also wouldn't pall i bet. i took down the entire dialogue and posted it here, classic piece of work.

asr could not have been done by any other actor, i am sure. most people can do dark or light, but this intensely layered chiaroscuro of contrasts, with the subtlest of shadings in between...nah... really can't think of anyone really. 

God, Indi Di, here I am, at work, trying not to bawl my eyes out! Please don't stop.
I posted something on Durga's birthday thread yesterday, a humourous (I think πŸ˜•) ode to your writing!
indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
from crooner 73: messages... do peep in.
khushi i love you and what came after.

from page 4

last night at 12.30 after i finished watching, had a silly smile plastered on my face and wondering should i hit youtube for a thousand views or rush and see if the new crooner's on.

oh i love the mush and the cheesy and the corny (poor khushi, what does she know about mikimoto, but not to worry, by the time he's out and they are into his dream sequence, we'll make sure she does, right?)

guess which song had been playing over and over again at my place last evening when i got an sms from my niece (avid phhann gurrrlll and fan fiction writer), she wrote: be ready to die of happiness today :D.

at around 12.37 last night, that's just what i did, jhoom jhoomke.

see you soon with a little note on my thoughts and a ponder on who's da boss.

there was blood on his forearm. i second your suggestion to the cv's: enough hunt for award shaward, ab band karo yeh downmarket ishtyle torture and put on the ac dammit!

from page 9

so who did it?

and who πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­did that to my poor baby!

after much thinking, have to say, no "got it!" moment yet. but one idea rushes in repeatedly and refuses to leave me in peace. 

keep getting the feeling a parallel chess game is afoot. between opponents more formidable than karpov and kasparov. i can see sp and ph on either end, there's trp's, money, and a strange new element called ego. "so you think you have such a mega fan base, such a fab lead pair, and such a wonderful core idea that you can get away with anything?" yeah, i definitely see plenty ego, plus too many unnecessary and complicated moves (spoilers, interviews, is he/isn't he, let's keep the fans on a special diet of starvation followed bouts of excess.) yeah, i also see dead people. i think they are called writers, poor things are metaphorically in the same state as above mentioned poor baby. 

my gut feel, "who" depends on what will be the outcome of this game. two, if not more, kidnapper/boss options have been conceived. first: the obvious choice, our snakewa, clues galore to lead us to him nice and easy.

option two: an enemy from a subplot that has been slow cooking for long, somewhere in and around sheeshmahal, in arnav and khushi's past. at the right moment, this delicate morsel of dastardliness will be served up for all of us to ooh and aah around and hate with utter relish.

if in the end, ph resigns, ipkknd will go for early wrap up and snakewa will be the murga.

if sp blinks, ipkknd will go on (yay!) and option two will reveal himself. or herself?

i am praying for option two.

and if i am utterly off the mark, do feel free to πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† your head off at me.

on page 13

haven't read everything yet, but two thoughts came to mind regarding the episode. will write down first, before they go away.
"i am a woman in love"
he said "woh baat" in a way only he could say. after that i was left looking at her.
when i first met her she was a girl. last night i saw her transform into a woman. 
what's more, a woman in love.
we followed her single tear with joy in our hearts, she cradled the phone close and she smiled. and there was a different khushi. 
not the one who had rushed in with her "aanchal" held out to collect the shower of stars that she believed would fall when one is in love, as per chat with devi maiyya. 
nor the young woman who jangled the bangles he'd given her (the only thing he has ever given her till date) as she stood smiling to herself and said: if anyone had said to me laad governor would give me bangles and be so concerned about my welfare, i'd have never have believed them.

from that smile on, right through the walk down the corridor, remembering the incomplete "farak padta hai" moments to his submission: i love you, up to her room, i watched khushi grow into a woman. 
she walked into her dream, assured and lovely in his favourite colour. tremulous smile (who says mills & boon doesn't teach you anything), but confident reach out of hand. 
she looked into his eyes, unafraid. his expression changed. was he about to explain? without any hesitation she silenced him with a finger on his lips. khushi doesn't need explanations. she knows what matters. hmmm nice.

i have to say i loved khushi's version of the perfect romantic interlude. khushi, the girl, chose the physicals. the awful earrings (that cuts deep as i am a earring fiend), the tacky bag in which the precious string rested, the funny candles, the run around the pool. aw i loved that strange chase by our man. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† πŸ˜Š if i can see him tied up and bleeding, i can see him dopily running after her, perhaps asr really feels like running around trees sometimes, let the boy have some fun!

but the emotions of the entire sequence was pure Khushi the woman. i loved the way she turned away from him and ran, a definite invitation to follow her there. if we found the seen corny, bet so did barun and sanaya. i looked at their expressions a zillion times to detect a false note. not one. they had a beautiful chat instead, just through looks and smiles. oh, that lovely lyrical hug, the hand moving up her hair, the remorse entering his eyes, then his intent gaze as that funny bottle and note appeared; but what really mattered were those three words. and their effect.

aside:
some beautiful intercutting between her smile holding the phone and his tortured face as he disconnected.

arnav and his happiness.
inspired by crooner's ponder upon pearls and the repeated reference to this gem of the seas by the writers.

arnav means the ocean. this arnav is an ocean held back. hardened by life. a protective shell around him.

khushi means happiness. and she is free flowing, generous, all that her name means.

between them scatter so many images of pearls. strings snap and they fall like teardrops everywhere. unbroken strings appear in dreams and bring smiles. pearls are found in pockets, in nightmares.  

when the diver plunges to the bottom of the sea, will she find the pearl in the depths of the ocean? will happiness reach find the ocean's perfect heart and bring it to the surface? 

pearls symbolise unblemished perfection.
a few references to pearls i found here and there: they are the oldest known gems and for centuries, the most valuable. the latin word for pearl means unique. pearls can be symbol of tears as well. to the ancients, pearls signified the moon and was said to have magical powers. 
if i find some more, shall add later.

oh these pearls intrigue me.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
indi52 thumbnail
a simple love and damn the...

it was a simple love.

why it should be felt was always hard to decipher and describe in mere words. it was just there and you wouldn't have it any other way.

it was a feeling you got at a certain hour of the day that made you a bit breathless, sometimes a little anxious, but you always wanted it to come, and you thought it would never go away. for me, that hour was 12 midnight... the witching hour if i am to recall something read in college.

but really it was the bewitching hour.

first telecast of the day's episode of iss pyaar ko kya naam doon? in singapore. i'd stay up no matter what, the room darkened as everyone slept, but i had to catch the show.

who goes crazy about a hindi serial? i no longer need to ask that question, because i know. but it was the best kind of crazy really. it made you feel, it made you think, it made you write, it made you connect... and it let you break free.

sometimes of yourself. your arid notions of what life is or isn't, of what love must or mustn't be.

it made you fall... so very beautifully.

when it was taken from me, i couldn't believe it. impermanence, etc., other philosophical thoughts i toyed with... but nothing would assuage the hurt... nothing would fill the gaping hole in my heart.

my voice choked whenever i thought, this is it.

even though so much had been robbed of the pristineness of iss pyaar ko kya naam doon? even then.

for it was untouched at some level, always pristine. forever pure.

a thing i loved so simply and without prejudice.

in a desperate bid to cope, i turned to a brave thread that said, beginning the monday after episode 398, we start watching the show again right from the top. blast from the past. i went there without any resistance, tired and scarred and... and aching and riven by the battle of the last two odd months...

how many letters phone calls frenzied posts.

but they would take it from me anyway.

thanks to that thread started by doc and risha, i pretended, i sort of stayed sane, i said i can do it, let's be mature, etc., and other things.

what i could never say was it's only a show.

i couldn't.

i didn't even try to.

it was what it was and it meant what it did.

i have constantly said, "i" through this post, though i know it was really a tale of many of us. many many. some of them watch ipk with me on that thread. and as we go deeper into the tale, somehow the suffering only increases. funny. every now and then the "how could they do this" feeling comes out of nowhere and blows a dry wretched storm across the thread.

and sometimes we go nuts writing poetry about hate. crazy happy nuts. who could turn hate into music but a man and a woman by a pool on a beautiful night.

and pyaar? who could feel it the way they did?

or show it the way only they could?

with an evil dance after getting the laad governor all rattled and knotted with a simple dupatta fling and a "swami". swami. i am guffawing and feeling crazy and thinking silly track, but flat out sold am i on it anyway.

with a brusque "zara dekhke" or a gentle "heer" or a through gritted teeth "kyunki tum meri patni ho..." or a whispered hoarse turmoil raising "main hamesha hamesha tumse..."

i was watching 227 and he yelled "damn the kartavya!"

i felt the world go quiet around me. and a feeling rise. all i wanted to do was plead, scream, beg, yell to anyone, everyone, gul, sp i don't care who to please bring it back. bring it back to me.

i have no idea why i am posting this. just a thought. maybe you'd like to talk about something here? look forward to your feelings. happy sad mad glad whatever. and here's to yelling shouting screaming hurting dancing maddening love.

wrote this beginning jan, 2014...
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/99031425
indi52 thumbnail
res.
indi52 thumbnail
from crooner 1.18 smokes and scars, page 3... the night asr tells khushi about the suicide.

rebecca. one of my mother's favourite books. faded, cracked cover in pale green with a woman against a warm background, a house burning down. memories. smokes and scars.

waiting to read.

just read your reply. my mother would often speak of it. and i did read it once many years ago.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ adding on ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

to borrow from the first line of rebecca.

last night i dreamt i went to sheeshmahal again.

last night i saw two things. one was just a moment and that moment held me still and blown all at once. the other was the story, the love and hate story, the episode.

i would like to talk about that moment today. and priya, thanks for the quote that spells out a crucial part of it.

"the worst part of holding the memories is not the pain.
It's the loneliness of it. memories need to be shared."

lois lowry, the giver

chauda saal ka tha mein jab meri maa ne suicide kiya. my mother committed suicide.

how many times since the age of fourteen has he heard those words inside his head? how many times he has woken up to them first thing in the morning, words that put a bullet in your brain every time. you feel it in your head, in your heart, your skin, your gut. it stampedes behind your eyes, it lacerates your mouth, it clogs up your ears and your nose. yet the words never go away. sometimes you have felt so much you can't feel any more. they just become words that you throw around within you thinking you can escape them, thinking you can go past them, thinking you have managed to internalise them and make peace with it. but you know that's not true. you are scarred everywhere. you just hurt. time doesn't really heal.

somewhere along the way, you begin to feel the need to share this unbearable pain with someone. not that they will make it go away, because no one really can. but because you don't want to be alone in there with your unforgiving pain. what you'd held so close as yours and yours alone wants you to open a door. let someone in.

but who will this someone be?

someone you love? of course, but even more important. non negotiable. someone you trust.

the threshold she crossed today was that of trust. the other crucial piece of that moment. you want to share but only with someone you can trust.

as she rushed in after him, spilling out her heart in those five odd sentences: i didn't mean to hurt you, i just wanted to make you feel better and i don't know what's bothering you, it's fine you never told me, i don't want to change you, if you don't want to tell me it's...

his mind released, his heart said, it's safe, she won't harm you, his soul said, at last. he turned and let the words out. he has been waiting to say it as his mind says it to him for so long. i could hear the years in that instant.

she heard him, through all her unpreparedness, her lack of any experience in dealing with such things, and in the midst of her own confusion, she heard him clearly and she knew what to do.

her arms went around him in an instinctive rushed hug, like first aid, like e.r.; then as she herself calmed she put her arms around him again, this time gathering him into her, reminded me of the time he held her on the cliff bringing her back to life. she brought him back from that edge of darkness and death this time, he cried. his tears again said, i trust you.

what do you do when your father betrays your trust, completely shaking up your sense of trust itself? and your mother is gone suddenly, in a gunshot, in a moment, along with her goes love?

he stayed a prisoner of that moment, trust and love forever an issue. as he said that day of his parents' barsi, no one understands, they only think they do.

today somebody did understand, and he took his first step toward freedom with those words.

the writing, the very thinking, the direction, the execution, every bit of this scene including the lead up and the morning after were inspired, outstanding. khushi deciding a song along with cute loving would make him feel better was a masterstroke. pure khushi, had she broken into serious talk he may never have been able to tear down that heavy iron door suffocating within it his scream.

what stays with me, and may stay perhaps forever:
arnav singh raizada whirling around and two sentences quickly uttered, in a rush before that heavy iron door containing his scream slams shut once more. then a still, blown away moment.

i have been part of a such a moment in someone's life once. maybe because this person also blurted it out just the way arnav did before something could come and stop him like always, that i felt everything rang true. we are in the hands of fine story tellers indeed.

arnav has crossed the first threshold, may he pass easy through all those waiting as the smoke seeps out, as the gate opens, the conch shell blows and the battle begins, and he dreams of sheeshmahal again and again, but now with khushi, not alone. till one day there is no more again for that dream.

indi52 thumbnail
at some point while writing about iss pyaar ko and asr khushi... poems started to sort of float up to me... i am no poet, but i let the words come.

many are part of takes... am adding a few here separately.

☯️

right at the end of the episode 267 take, this one. really these two reminded me again and again of keats's ode on agrecian urn and the unforgettable "beauty is truth, truth beauty."

did you see the look in his eyes
infinite

planets perhaps shifted
when he lunged

was there ever in truth a line to be
crossed

if there was, a crossing would be
done

love dictated, desired, demanded
that

the lover and the beloved stand
forever

in a hut in the gloam between here and
somewhere else

beauty and truth their indelible tie
illumine

indi52 thumbnail

266 started with two poems...

lost are worlds within me
on the edge of faith have i stood long
and watched my temples burn
taken from myself
tied by the treachery of turbid love

in the gloam stars did stop
lost have i roamed the darkness
grasping at the night
and wrapped it around
made it yield to the might within
with hands i fought to break free

and yet lost i was

till the twilight said
amid the barrenness of deserted time
what if i lost you

out of that stopped star
that trenchant stubborn darkness
did you come streaking out
in unstoppable carmine flow
and grasped the phantom shadows
and wrapped with shining faith
seeking what had been lost
so many darknesses ago

and you found me
dhoond liya tumne

my arms rise and hold at last
my feet stay firm at the edge of faith
red pulsating do you flow
and return to me every lost world of mine

theek ho tum?
how can i be when you are not
in my arms
safe and dominant and ascending
and angry and indomitable and...
arnav ji

yes, just that, only that, hamesha that
arnav ji

how could i be if you aren't there
to torment and tether me
to wrap me in your darkness pure
to the heart of which i flow
only to find
light, just that, only that, hamesha that
aakhir humne aapko dhoondh hi liya

when i find you
why does it feel as if i found my lost worlds
each one of them
aisa kyun hota hai

indi52 thumbnail
from the third anniversary thread, page 25... a chat.

Originally posted by aarwen

Indi di what you say about the first meeting entirely true.. You can not fail to notice the stillness coming alive in those dark haunted eyes. And she tempting, trembling, hypnotized in his arms. Yet yes he did walk away. He had the restrain and detachment in those initial days. It was she who literally ran after him. Impulsive sanaka, yet feeling everything. This itself was legendary , but IPK managed to make what followed also unforgettable. 
How slowly but surely their lives get entwined. How they find out the differences. A la Pride and Prejudice. She is not just some random irritating oversmart gold digging middle class girl. Instead she takes your breadth away in red. Is smart enough to handle everything you throw at her. At her most vulnerable she can lash out as a vicious tigress and yet you want to reach out and touch her. And she is just like you.. an orphan.

And he is not all hard hearted, cold blooded, impenetrable. He can be caring towards his di. He can be extra tender towards an unknown small lost sad baby girl. He somehow makes you feel safe. His eyes linger over you and you feel yourself not revolted , but blushing instead. And when he laughs you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Nothing forced or not probable at all. How beautiful and real this journey of discovering each other was. The fire of anger, clashes of ideologies, mad ajeebness of Khushi and Arnav together, carefree chirpiness and brooding angst. Add rabba ve and all the other musical components, two gorgeous fabulous actors who redefined chemistry and the viewer just had to believe in their love story. 

Originally posted by kizh72

Rhea, how beautifully you encapsulated the whole thing. Yes, he was detached in the beginning. Too much else happening I guess, with the return to Sheesh mahal, the meeting with chachaji...must have shaken his moorings a bit. And she, got her moorings shaken too, from a safe predictable state of being, suddenly being blamed for her sis's wedding being called off, a meeting with a stranger, unlike any and who behaved unlike any you have met in your life.
Their journey indeed was a delight to watch. I discovered the show in may last year, quite accidentally. Had a marathon binge watching session. It was around episode 100, when that hospital hug happens that I felt this was not your regular stuff. 124, I knew this was special!
Yes, two extremely good looking people and fabulous actors too, but what they had is much beyond that. You don't see this with any two good looking people.
Its your turn to make a vm now! Let me get that song list ready!πŸ˜†

my reply

kizh, rhea,

this is why hanging out here is such fun and really kind of meaningful. love your talk. and i need to talk too therefore... a lot. sorry.

i have said it too many times for anyone not to have noticed, i don't watch serials. and honestly, unless the acting appeals, nothing keeps me watching, not even the best of stories or direction or song or anything. same with movies... if the performance works for me, almost anything works. main aisa hi hoon. (gender free me)

if the acting is good i notice i want to hang around and see what's next. i must say, story apart, ipk had two brilliant actors trying to understand their roles and give it all they had. and when i say all... it is really all plus some more.

i did everything i could not to watch ipk. because i already knew how terribly attractive barun sobti was... and i really was not going to let some looker get me hooked on, of all things, a serial. plus the promos had irritated me. all this talk of some smart suave guy. i used think, ya right. i tried everything not to watch, i did not like this power a young tv boy seemed to have over me, er i used to stop and watched a very bad serial just because he used to appear from time to time and look cool in pretty bad clothes and hair. maine kitni koshish ki.

kizh, yours was somewhere after 100, that realisation. i, despite being very much around on 6/6 had not seen it... but my tv used to often be on, just for the h of it... missing india.  one night, i saw the girl i had seen once before in a bizarre pompom bedecked tight churidar looking beautiful in red... and that guy who was forever trying to look rich and famous was in a grey jacket and something was happening at the poolside.

i could not look away.

i couldn't believe what had just happened, happened.

i started to look frantically for episodes on youtube... yes in desperation i had punched in the serial's name in google and realised all the episodes had been uploaded, they used to be uploaded within half an hour of airing in india.

and so without thinking, because i couldn't, i watched all that was diwali and around it, again and again. then went and found everything else. when i saw him snapping her dori in episode two... i was shocked.

really couldn't believe they had shown that, and this man with angry eyes was the hero... i mean he was at the poolside, so he must be.

i had seen i think one episode cursorily way back... this was the one where shyam is introduced.  and i had seen the nasty richie's face too... i was genuinely confused. so she is going to choose between a bad guy and a lovely sweet comforting man. oh how would they tell the story, i had thought then.

when i saw diwali, i didn't care. this was jadoo, nasha, and beyond.

of course it was sensual, heck, sexual, but there was more. something terribly deeply more. i will never be able to forget my state as i saw him approach her almost hypnotised and she equally dazed stepping back... every instinct of hers telling her to run because she knows this will finish her off. yet she wants to stay, can't go... powerless.

and he, not thinking, not thinking at all... just getting pulled along, desire seeping through him, taking over.

then that kiss almost done. the look in their eyes... i have not seen this kind of real acting i don't know in how long. especially desire. so many movies show it. but this pitching of it... connected with my many chakras... 😳

it was perhaps my rabba ve moment with ipk.

i saw everything after that, again and again. if the first and second episodes had power and almost threw me asunder, the third episode and the fourth touched me deep... oh dargah. and of course, when the heroine is upset she makes... jalebi. jalebi??? i laughed my head off and thought, girl after my heart. again, the pitching by sanaya, that scene where she is crying and frying... so tender, so weird, a purity in the sanka. not hamming. rare that is on tv, especially when leading girl has been told her character is cute. sanaya always felt zany, not girly cute... okay later there were problems but not in the first half... ott post marriage i could sit through only because she had already established such an attractive character i did not want to just turn off tv and say forget it.

the build up, while interesting was not breathtaking, though almost every episode there would be something. like in 12, lavanya... and hotwa checking out the girl who is crazy for him. he likes what he sees... oh so male and real.

and with what understanding of script, the medium, and the audience, the la asr thing was handled, remaining convincing... not giving one the creeps at the thought of heartless tycoon and his girl friend with whom he is intimate, very intimate.

loved his fight with his nani and the leaving home thing.

nothing felt put on, too done up. not even anjali's excessive sweetness. this group of actors had some sort of vibe. they were presented as a bit different from what you see usually, but they have tried this before... this time they managed to pull it off brilliantly.

and oh what a relief just because you spoke english, did not mean you were bad. in fact, even anjali spoke english at times and with a polished accent, how natural is that... rich well educated girl... to be trad doesn't mean not to know anything but mother tongue.

the la asr relationship and break up... too good. never seen that almost anywhere. and on indian tv? tacky serial had girl friend living with rich boy friend... huh???... and he is getting attracted to the other girl... but not even once in the middle of all that i am saying eeeks lech...

too well understood the emotions and too honestly portrayed. there was no question of hating anything.

remember when la got drunk? how lovely was that... his handling of it, her contrition... and no lecture about getting drunk, in fact waiting to help her handle it and being wooden because her behaviour has upset others, spoiled his sis's party... and no he didn't mention i think nani at all. irritated me. but it was true to character, at that stage.

the boy was slightly obsessed with di, couldn't read others' feelings.

yet everyone loved him... because they could sense what was in the guy... deep down.
even we could... i loved that. felt a bit bad for la when he tells her other than di, no one is important in his life, though he does think of khushi in the guest house the moment la asks.

yet i can't hate him, because as he said later to her, he was always upfront about what he could and couldn't give. which is why perhaps la understood his state of mind and forgave him later though if you think about it, he behaved like a bit of a jerk. but la knew, he struggled with emotions, she loved him anyway and when she sensed he was keen on someone she understood how much he must be struggling and she not only let him off the hook graciously, she walked away...

how cool was that and real. la's character, oh something terribly lovely in that too. another young woman on a path of self discovery. i adored the fact that though they had her in good girl clothes in no time, she had her la clothes with her as well and meant to give khushi something la as farewell gift. a bit of her ways, to thank khushi for teaching her about things that made her gain acceptance, things perhaps she began to enjoy and value...  the reason why la was willing to change anything about herself though he had never asked for it was beautiful too... she was really irritated and yet she knew how important di was to him... so she was willing to try. loved the fact she struggled and raved and slowly something began to appeal... the seemingly brassy girl was really tender inside, and responded to love, from khushi, from di, from nani, everyone... and yet she remained la.

yeah he did behave insensitively with her when he used her to put a barrier between himself and that reckless helpless cautionless desire he had felt... he said, shadi kar raha hai and held her hand before a room full of people, while burning with desire for another girl.

but yet i couldn't hate him, or anyone else.

to me this was stunning stuff...

i should have felt nafrat at so many points, but all i could sense was the mohabbat and feel it too. ha ha. sorry i went on.

just that every time i wonder, ipk tells me why exactly it is important to me.

there is so much here, such beautiful understanding of life and love... and yes, that acting.

but when the writing weakened and became tv like... i could almost see the actors struggling with it. every once in a way a fight or a foible would elate the heart and pull it in though. so i guess i will just be thrilled with that. i mean the first august fight or the one where he raves at her and walks off, drives wildly in the night and returns, by then she is passive aggressive anger and i will leave... that "aur main?"

aaa.

when the whole drama they did and shut shop unfolded... i was somewhere in the middle of the night at 12 midnight, night upon night, hanging around in singapore with that "aur main?" feeling in me.

funny how the audience stopped mattering. just the game became everything. total kidnap of ipk by many shyams.

indi52 thumbnail
from crooner 1.40: arnav khushi ki sangeet page 3.

tacky, corny, bad choreography, kitchy lyrics.

so why was i smiling my guts out?

why was i remembering an evening, a very late evening, almost 27 years ago?

the only thing i would change: khushi's earrings. 

thanks for crooner 1.40, written straight after a 12 hour shift, priya. as you say, after that one could do with a 20 minute light and happy show. actually, after the tension of the past few days, just the time for this goofy, loving break. one evening when we need not worry about what's to come. 

to tell the truth, as the episode started and khushi took off all ott and haw!, i was worried. not a great one for spoofs and parodies like you, priya. oh i usually laugh and chortle through them but curiously, along the way somewhere i disconnect completely. but yesterday, i have to say, i found myself still engaged and beaming away as the scene faded away on the last shot.

what a shot that was. he looks at her and smiles. amused, loving, completely in the moment; she smiles back, delighted and in love, still clapping with glee. they turn back toward the family on stage, their enjoyment of the "surprise" all over their faces, not a care in the world. freeze.

"You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long." 

~~~~ rabindranath tagore ~~~~

i hope: har pal yoohin khooshiya rahein... chehro pe bhi smiliya khilein.

unchoreographed choreography, keenly described, priya. that's what made it work, that and the obvious love and good wishes being showered by the family on two precious members who had gone through much. the homey, kitschy, cut out feel made it an offering from the heart. 

matters. 

otherwise i'd never have got past those horrendous colours and badly rhymed words.  i started to giggle as i remembered at my wedding, my dad's chachi's sister, perennially in "let me write a poem mode" at all marriages, leaping up with her really awful ditty on my husband and me and reading it loud with extreme relish while my friends and cousins rofled, my aunts tried to keep a straight face, and i cringed wondering will the cooky hubs ever let me live this down. then there was my dad's second coz with her harmonium and her long song in nasal monotone. one in the morning, straight after the wedding, my bengali bashor ghor, kind of sangeet ambience but post nuptials, delaying the sr (same problem). there too was that undeniable element: love of family, no matter how extended and how many times removed. 

nk and his thing for older women, maybe time for a real "hatke" romance in ipk? absolutely loved him and utkarsha naik, they captured the essence, mamiji was quite a khushiji, nk tried his best to emulate hotwa, well since he is my hotwa no. 2, i won't wrinkle my nose at the attempt. karan g is a trained dancer, but mamiji is not too bad either i was surprised to note.  while the "poolside pe hua, almost first time kissiya," was funny, the two flowers thrust up front at the "right" moment, was my favourite. perfect spoof, felt like a shared joke between all of us, creatives, actors, viewers, everybody. part of our collective unconscious, the "two flowers" gambit to get a kiss past censors and sensibilities, before hindi films became "bollywood." must say, i kind of like it. πŸ€£ and hasn't crooner been calling for a kiss even if it's the do phool type for a while, esp last week? 

the non sophisticated, almost rustic humour has a warmth of old, and weddings are just the place for it. as i watched khushi's entrance and exaggerated curiosity and demand to know what surprise had been planned, i was a bit irritated. then i recalled the state of the bride to be during the many days of wedding. it is tough, a hyper emotion starts to invade despite one's best efforts. some people get tearful, some cranky, khushi is over excited and "nyaka," super girly being the best translation i can do of that bengali word.

it struck me, there was something ineffably "natural" about all of them here, in this milieu. it was nice to see nani in form, but sorry no one can take off the shdes like you know who πŸ˜†; buaji, payal doing their best as ladkiwale; payal's saas for once forgiving and loving. is there any way our payal can be persuaded to stay on? even akash got into his character. 

"don't let a thief into your house three times. the first time was enough. the second time was a chance. the third time means you're stupid." 
~~~ 
c. joybell c. ~~~

and while surprisiya was promising happiness in the sitting room, saazish was planning destruction in the bedroom. khushi was right about that, asr was right to look grimly at her allegations of "saazish!" it is indeed underway. but will it succeed? 

a suspicion arousing snapshot lies on a table. will it do its job or disappear into the black hole like the soap with the key imprint? dadi sits gloating with maliciousness guarding her prey. shyam's dialogue writers and his acting both slip. actually, once he has no connection to the past, how to resurrect his present. but today i am not going to worry about all that. 

he's in black. he's said, "relax," yelled "kahan!" ( i know i'll never feel the same way again about that word too πŸ˜•), and see how gorgeous he looks as he smiles in the freeze frame. 

do i really care about the plot today? as i said, only those things hanging from khushi's ears...

persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
~~~~ Mark TwainThe Adventures of Huck Finn ~~~

(colours inspired by the nerve wracking shades of sangeet)
indi52 thumbnail
on the anchor post of bftp thread 26, a note on teri meri.

"khushi!" he called out, she turned around instantly to answer him. and so started a conversation of a kind we'd perhaps never seen before. certainly not in a tv show. a chat between lovers across distance, aided not by modern technology but by the ancient knowhow of the body and the mind... and yes, the heart. a telepathic conversation shook viewers out of complacence on 18/19 june 2012. asr and khushi spoke to each other, while he sat in captivity and she by the poolside under the stars. seemed the stars too had aided and abetted this daring adventure. some were elated, others openly scoffed. telepathy? oh come on, these things don't happen. the cvs seem to have lost it completely. there were sniggers and giggles in many quarters. and yet, something about that conversation felt beautifully real, plausible, possible... desirable. but then this sensing of each other had been there from the very start... in the synchronised opening and closing of asr and khushi's eyes in that very first episode  surely an idea had begun... and now came its fullest expression. still, it was a brave move by writers. might have looked ridiculous, but they knew they had actors who'd pull it off brilliantly. and, oh yes, they certainly did. our five senses were once aroused by teri meri, now soon once more it will come to arouse, this time crossing a boundary... so we may reach for our sense number six and enter a chat that perhaps only lovers can have.