Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

indi's index, from the blast from the past pages - Page 10

indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
blast from the past #24 page 99.

just made this edit, my next sweet 17 siggie. nice? ohhh ears that stick out, eyes that speak, lips that lopside... frown that makes the heart lose moorings... behind the anger something gentle and flowing, beside the sweetness a storm of all maleness, dark chocolate, musky evening air, blazing sun that make you squint... where is this actor, this character, this man.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

indi52 thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
from crooner 72: eclipse... the phone call after kidnap. pg 16.

adding on. because maybe this deserves a separate post.

the telephone conversation between arnav and his family.

the phone rings in the middle of a call being made to the cops. the level of worry among the family members has reached a bit beyond mars.

anjali picks up the phone.

her expression begins to clear. then the tearful exchange. sister admonishing brother, anger, worry, relief, everything all at once. around sentence three, cut to tight close up asr.
oph.πŸ˜†
and the fabulous phone call is on a roll. instrument being passed from one to the other, everybody wants to talk to the one that is away. (how many times have i seen this at home when someone calls long distance. so damn natural! what a fantastic device used adroitly by masters of storytelling.)

the brother wants to reassure the sister despite all his troubles, yet that little asr head tilt of irritation at her usual overworry (need to create words, sorry).

the grandmother grabs the phone. extreme tenderness, utter dependence, relief washing over into a smile, pleading with her grandson through mock forgiving for the last time (last time?!! no, cut that thought and throw it far far away). did you notice the surge of emotions across barun's face? this woman has been his pillar, his shelter when he was destitute, and he must have played on her lap (yeah yeah i'm getting mushy but you know grandmothers do that to me) as a kid. as he sits before a gun pointed at him (if we are to believe the precap) wonder how many thoughts are racing through his head as he hears her voice.

on to mamiji. oh that to and fro, her smile full of her love for arnav bitwa, because funny/mean/gauche/nouveau riche whatever mamiji may be, her love for this bitwa is the real deal. and they have a special relationship. no matter what her drawbacks, he gets her. remember that necklace incident? oh i fell a bit more in love with asr that day. to love someone though they ain't perfect, to indulge someone just because you can, aw i die. what a treat that conversation "so what will you get me from scotland?" πŸ˜†πŸ˜† inane, yet full of meaning. arnav almost smiles. her prattle creating an illusion of normalcy perhaps? for a brief moment, mamiji's into her inane prattle, all is right with the world.

akash interrupts, so natural, so apt, so son like. on to the conversation between two bros, nay to me they are brothers not just cousins. off we go into the questions regarding business and things, arnav does not interrupt this conversation and rush into the main event. he wants no member of his family to worry, not the elderly, not the physically weak, not the young and strong. no one. he takes care of everyone. he has an answer for everyone's question. no one must worry, not for him. o my oh.
finally, the request, akash, take care of di and khushi. did you hear his voice thicken ever so slightly on her name? what is this unbearably good acting i say.

last and absolutely most, khushi. now that just under 3 min (correct me if i'm wrong) conversation will go down in the annals of classic love stories as the finest phone conversation ever when love was declared through the most beautiful utterance and the most eloquent silence.
(i wouldn't be surprised if a telephone company or operator soon filches the scene for an ad.)

that call was a masterstroke. there was love, family, nuanced emotion, plus plot development there. then there was i love you.
thank you writer, director, and each and every actor.

indi52 thumbnail
crooner 72: eclipse. on that i love you. pg 12

priya, who could be expected to write cogently today after seeing what we have seen.

i am all over the place. a voice is blowing through me. a trembling lip caresses my eyes. what's that rush of wind and that distant song that plays? long distance, extreme close up, utterly scraggly and worn out "i love you."

is there any other way to say those words.

again and again and again barun shows his mettle as an actor. does even he know how good he is?
method acting from a lad who was minding phone calls till just a couple of years ago. who said the book he'd perused as a youngster was mainly his dad's cheque book. a 28 year old whose interviews never go right, right but not "right right." a serial actor who is handed the script piece meal, day upon day with no real plan as to where it's all headed. no ready film script here, no complete, edited, perfected play. a daily soap.

bless you, barun sobti.

and yes, sanaya irani. for close to 10 days now you've carried this show. she is a spunky one, isn't she? she knows who everyone is really devoted to, that the main audience of a daily tv romance isn't made up of men waiting to fall in love with love. yet, she's never phased. in fact. she gives her work and her co-star her utter best, straight from the heart, from the purest place of instinct and she shines. inviting all around her to shine as well. marvelous.

gosh that silent entreaty through inanimate phones and airwaves. one hand presses the receiver close to the ear, "khushi!" and an expression flits, a tear forms, the other hand comes up and cradles the phone closer. the tear rolls (the order of events is a mental recall, may be a bit off. sorry). she never says a word, yet she's saying so much to him. and he can hear every word.

god who wrote this scene. who directed it. who set the music. who edited. who counted the seconds. who said let the wind blow.
may i fall at your feet.

priya, love your analysis.

anjali returned in full force today. the milk crashed to the floor, and it was as though she reached right in and found the di that is viscerally attached to her chotte. children of the same mother.

yeah, looks like a kidnap (i never saw the precap as i caught the second telecast) and looks like snakewa is the creep. alas even all that lifebuoy couldn't wash the filth off him. oh oh oh. out, damned spot, out!
aarwen thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
i wouldn't be surprised if a telephone company or operator soon filches the scene for an ad.

Indi di you had me at this.Thank you and let my silence tell you the rest. β€οΈ
Edited by aarwen - 9 years ago
indi52 thumbnail
um, you here, rhea?

aw, you are sweet... was just updating some stuff... still whammed by the episodes i just saw. thanks so much for reading this crazy slew of mine.

indi52 thumbnail

my musings on asr from here and there

from arnav singh raizada - the business tycoon thread 2 page 27

what made him exciting and precious was not his tortured past and the jagged edges thanks to it. there are many characters in all sorts of literature and arts who have the appeal of the cut and torn. heathcliff. othello. my little obsession, don draper. oh there are many and all of us i'm sure have a favourite or two.
what made asr beautiful to me, was the way he dealt with his share of rain, his terrible difficulties at a very young age. he faced it, fair and square. he never ran away into fantasy or try to make it better with stories and platitudes. it is true, people say they can understand what you feel, but no one can ever feel the emotions you go through when you cremate both your parents, touching them with the fire that will annihilate, end it all. 

his entire sense of trust was badly shaken. his father had betrayed his mother, him and his sister too. the father is a place of trust, respect, solidity. none of that for this boy of 14. gone in a moment.

along with it, his haven of love, shelter, growth: his mother.

how terrible that his mother had killed herself because of his father's actions. his beloved mother who tried to teach her taciturn, angry, little chhotey the meaning of life, the value of conscience, of examining things, of giving the rose a chance.

he could have easily become incredibly bitter, harsh, cold. and rich and materially successful, while being drop dead good looking. oh yes, even that would have made him an exciting man, especially watching a woman break through layers of this darkness to matter like mad would be delicious. 

but asr went much further than that. he did it his way. 

(ok me sucker for individualistic people, do their own thing, prepared to face the consequences, but think and act according to what they feel is right, sounds familiar?)

he held the pain by its horn and charged right back at it, with all of himself, not some cut and lacerated bits of him, everything that's him, the good, the bad, the scared, the broken, the laughing, everything. he promised himself he'd make it ok for all those he loved. that trust, that respect, that solidity, he would restore all of it. he will be nothing like his father (though interestingly the writers gave him his dad's anger issues, wish they had done something with it), he was nothing like him. he would be honest, clean, hard working, dependable.

and he would not depend on anyone else, i feel this came from the extreme sense of betrayal he felt re one person, the one he depended on, perhaps at some point even his hero, his father.

no god, kismet, fate. asr would make his own destiny himself. no problem if his di and whole family needed their bhagwan to make things happen. he wouldn't try to change them, another sign of strength in my eyes. but he would go it alone. if power and money were what mattered, he'd create enough never to have to look back. of course, there was much about life the boy had to learn, and go way beyond power and money, but his way of dealing with tragedy and his clear eyed courage in taking it all on, breathtaking. my feeling, there was lots of asr's mother and her basic positivity and integrity in his basic character. so even when he seemed harsh and terrible, some part in him always breathed and felt human. ah the guest house scene. dead.

only one concession to the turmoil, and maybe only because a part of him just ached and cried within (for which child would not want their dad to be who they thought they were), maybe that's why the closing down of his heart in one matter. women and love. arnav singh raizada ko kissi ladki se koi faraq nahin padta. a boy was keeping his hurt inside and away, while somehow trying to make amends to his mom. don't worry, i won't ever fall like that, i will always love you and di and my family with all of me. i will be there. i will not fall and become like him, your husband. no place for women inside me, no allowing them in. no getting carried away to saansey ruk jaygi moments. di, you're becoming like nirupa roy every day. a fabulous defence put up by one shattered within and trying to stay calm and strong. (all my conjectures, all may be wrong.) 

by giving himself a real job to do in crisis i feel he saved himself. anger brought intensity, but he let his intelligence bring guidance.

his primary reason for going forward was not hate, it became love. for his sister. he anchored himself there, and went into the future, as its maker. this indomitable spirit and not the tortured soul is what made him so very dear to me. not just another troubled, good looker, i wanted to hold in my arms and nurse back to lau and such stuff. but a man i admired and wanted to learn from, thrilled me to hear his views on life, love, god, work, and more.

sorry, su. just coming out of asr deprivation tank, had to write an essay on the man. a bit all over the place, but you know this character deserves as deep a delve as any macbeth othello gora meursault heathcliff.

Originally posted by UltimateBarun

RED!!πŸ˜†

Kuch bhi try anything  n bring him back,,,RED also reminds me that we dint get good episodes for diwali due to the offscreen Drama!!!😑

if we wish hard enough in our reds, think he'll come back? say yes yes yes. πŸ˜³

i want to see him grow yet stay himself, still grapple with his flaws. i want to see his mad anger and for his lover to realise, that's ok, just a part of him, he's too scared to let it go, maybe his insides just need it. i want to hear him have a deep conversation about belief and faith with her so she finally really gets it and admires him for the man he became. oh so many many reasons for him to come back.

Originally posted by riti4u

Indi di ..very beautifully you summarised an orphan's journey.. a journey of becoming self made man..without any belief in divine forces...he just believed in himself and took along tough route to safeguard his loved ones... If we peel his layers..he was indeed a very layered and beautifully written and portrayed character...a rare on indian television but a very realistic one...the one whose pain we all can relate too... His flaws so real...his hurt and pain so real..that we could see so many around us like him..in want of love ...in want of that healing which life actually didnt offer at young age...

yes, riti, i could always relate to him, nothing seemed unreal. was just thinking of fashion as his chosen field. a fascinating clue to his character, its time, its leanings. and so so plausible. i've met these really young entrepreneurs in bombay just as india began to liberalise who'd made loads of money by connecting embroiderers and sequin workers in india to fashion brands abroad. such a contemporary field, still growing, lots of connected areas to diversify into, and creative and young at heart. also energetic. i can see asr getting excited by it and wanting to enter and dominate the scene. a hundred years ago, he might have been setting up steel plants. contemporary, forward looking, eyes shining at what might be, that's the man. 
Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
siamesecat thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks for this wonderful index!
indi52 thumbnail
this is not FUNNY
about 10 minutes on the third of july: wrote this on 6 july at a time when i wouldn't really write on the main forum. i was terribly touched by that sequence... even now as i read through, quakes in me... i think he callled her 47 times, yeah, i tried to count. one count i gave to a mere "kh-" because he just made it all sound perfect like the word khushi belonged only to her.

the first almost 10-minute sequence of the 3rd july episode was one of the most beautiful i've ever seen anywhere. we all remember arnav frantically looking for khushi, finding her, and bringing her back to consciousness. i was fascinated by everything in that scene, including what was said, with words and otherwise.

for diehard ipkkndians, here's the text of arnav's dialogues on that day. much laughter has been shared over how many times he said "khushi." i think i managed to catch all of them. count if you are a stats freak. just read if you wish to go over those moments again, minus visuals πŸ˜†.

right at the end he says something very interesting. no need to say anything.

starting second sequence of 3rd july till last evening, 5th july, that's what he's been doing: not saying anything. or is he actually saying everything without uttering a word?

in these words of 3rd july lie the roots of many things we'll be seeing from now on, i feel. so, a ready reference. enjoy.

khushi! 

khushiii! 

khushi!

khushii!

he's looking for her scanning the ledge and the trench.

pause, he sees her.

smiles and makes his way to her:

khushi!!

rabba ve enters as he reaches her.

khushi, khushi, everything is fine... khushi! sab theek hai.

he gathers her close and draws her away from the slope.

rabba vey under. 

cut to shyam's call.

back to asr and khushi on level ground.

he checks to see if she's alright, notices her hand lying limp.

guest house fb, nainital fb, remembers how she's always held on to him even while unconscious, and now her hand is motionless.

khushi... khushi... khushi... khushi, don't worry, sab theek hai, khushi.. everything is fine(shaking her gently) main bhi theek hoon... we're safe now, khushi.

looks at her face, perplexed, worried sick.

khushi, tum kuch bolti kyon nahin... (voice thickening)... khushi, say something, dammit. 

growing urgency, shakes her face.

khushi... what... khushi, baat karo mujhse... (voice rising with an edge of anger born of extreme worry) khushi, say something!

khushi!! khushi! khushi.

crash of thunder, music, he sees blood on his hands from the back of her head.

khushi! khushi! khushi, talk to me dammit! this is not FUNNY!

lifts her hand and starts rubbing it.

khushi, kuch bolo!! say something... please say something, khushi, khush-!

her hand falls to the floor, lifeless. crash.

he's nonplussed. mournful music strains in. he's beginning to panic, close to tears. looking at her face, imploring.

please kuch bolo na, please say something dammit, KHUSHI!

looks at her face cradled in his hand. hugs her to him, crying.

looks at her again.

khushi, khushi, wake up please.

pleads.

checks to see if she's breathing, hand below her nostrils. nothing.

noooh... apni ankhen kholo, khushi please please... just breathe... just breathe, khushi... i'm telling YOU TO BREATHE DAMMIT!

lays her on the ground, starts pumping her chest.

tearful.

khushi, wake up, please.

flashback only voiceover then visual: 

khushi: phir aapke zindagi ki sabse achhi aur ranjhe ki zindagi ki sabsi buri ghadi ayegi. 

arnav: matlab? 

khushi: hum mar jayenge.

he starts and shudders at the memory of the heer ranjha scene.

pumps with determination.

khushi! khushi, wake up dammit.

voice wobbles even as he tries to stay in control.

khushi, say something to me...kh..

another memory in voice only this time: 

khushi: samajhiye hum bhi tara bangaye... raat mein daayen se tisra, jo sabse zyada chamak raha hai, wo hum hai.

he keeps pumping.

no khushi, you can't do this to me, khushi.

he won't let her go, she can't just die. mouth to mouth resuscitation. no use. he is desperate. in ragged whisper.

khushi, please say something.

strokes her face.

khushi, please say something.

pulls her face close and in tears, eyes shut, presses his lips to her forehead.

looks at her face tenderly.

voice thickening with tears and emotion:

khushi please, please khushi... khushi, mai tumhare b-!

he cuts short the bad bad thought.

tum mere sath aisa nahin kar sakti, khushi.

he's wilting under the weight of the horrific thought.

sobs... khushi... don't, you can't do this... sobs

remembers at the poolside he's told her that day of holi: 

jab tum meri paas hoti ho, to tumhare dil ki dhadkano ke saath saath mere dil ki dhadkane bhi tez ho jaati hai... hamari dhadkane ek ho jaati hai.

he lifts her hand and places it on his heart. holding her close he rests his head against her sobbing.

heart beats fade in dhak dhak dhak dhak. her fingers flutter, he is unaware.

tearful: 

khushi... 

hm! she says!

his eyes fly open.

hay hay hey hey hey rabba vey. 

he looks at her, she coughs, breathing in, he wraps her in his arms. hugs her close, gently rocking. 

strokes her hair and looks into her face.

tears choke his voice.

you- (i think that's what he said)

she tries to speak: arn-av-j-

he cuts in:

sh! sh! kuch bolne ki zaroorat nahin hai.

after this, there's not a single word spoken.

she lifts her hand and strokes his tear and blood stained cheek. he turns her palm and puts his lips to it, a joy filled kiss. tender and sweet. again he turns her face and kisses her forehead. music floats around them.

he folds her in his arms again, smiling delighted that she is here, here in his arms and alive.

rabba vey.

they just sit holding each other close, taking in the moment, one with the hills, greens, trees, sky. temple in the background.

rabba vey plays on.

he gets up, places her dupatta on her shoulders. she struggles to stand up, he moves to pick her up. 

her fingers reach up to hold his vest. 

a beautiful moment as he sees this. she is doing what she's always done, even when unconscious. 

he is absolutely ecstatic, turns and smiles into her eyes. 

he picks her up in his arms, they look at each other, a pause, he smiles, then starts walking.

he walks with her in his arms as he has done many times before.

she snuggles there easy, he is tall and strong and striding confidently, her dupatta floats, the temple looks on.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/60398853

wrote this on barun sobti - actor par excellence thread 9 page 19 in reply to momma1128's post... 

(credit uploader on YT)

hi anu,

i open last page, and this is right on top. those 10 odd minutes on 3 july hit me so hard, couldn't sleep eat think anything else for days. "this is not FUNNY," the voice hitting crazy notes, wobbling. i had to watch it repeatedly and get each and every word that was said. he said khushi maybe 70 to 80 times, don't remember the count... twice that also wouldn't pall i bet. i took down the entire dialogue and posted it here, classic piece of work.

asr could not have been done by any other actor, i am sure. most people can do dark or light, but this intensely layered chiaroscuro of contrasts, with the subtlest of shadings in between...nah... really can't think of anyone really. 
Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
indi52 thumbnail
from bftp #21 while chatting about asr on a bike.

the quintessential suit man asr... how perfectly asr was he in a banyan for almost a month. i remember i used to absolutely get hooked everytime he appeared in that not too clean very basic sandoz type vest. if barun can pull this off and still look nothing but asr, i have a feeling being on a bike wouldn't have made him less or not asr in any way... if the story were well written and asr's essential qualities not his physical ones were taken into consideration, he'd be just fine on a bike... on anything. 

of course, when we think bike we have  a certain picture in mind, but i ask you when we think undershirt filthy, what picture did we have in our heads and what do we have now?

this was a rare powerful actor... if basketball and drums felt wrong it was because the story was wrong. he tried his best to remain in his skin but really does asr call a kid buddy and do hi five so soon after he's started to feel and show his feelings?

so i am afraid, after thinking this through, i take back what i said about bike not being him... i will stay with the bike thought. and ahem hope next time i do see him on one.

aarwen thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Up above Indi di same feeling I have now about the towel dance. I remember watching it and cringing. What did they do to the ASR I knew? Since you liked it I went and rewatched a couple of times and his smile, boyish air and all this for Khushi. Barun had the chutzpah to pull it off brilliantly and slowly I felt myself thinking if Khushi likes it then Arnav would love doing it for her. And he won't be the kind to need a lonely room to do it. His way would be right on stage with everyone watching. Not a more suave Salman number, but mujhse shaadi karoge.. And then in his language, in words he was comfortable in.. will you marry me.. I guess what felt actually off was Khushi's reaction. She had a wide smile and excited Khushi air to her. Still this wasn't Salmanji dancing, this was Arnavji as Salman just for her. I wanted a bit more from the girl he was doing it all for.
Yes ASR can do anything.  Stand in an akhara and look gorgeous, beat up men blindfolded and look as gorgeous, sit in front of that laptop and redefine gorgeous..
He on a bike.. sure sure.. I have seen a pic of Barun and Sanaya on a bike and imagined Arnav and Khushi in it.. Like Cynthia said if only we could have been flies on the wall. I want to know what the writers were thinking, the dialogue writers, the directors, and most of all the actor..