Page 5 of 15

Vintage.Wine

Goldie

Vintage.Wine

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by K.Universe.

Originally posted by lonely0planet

IF (and in IF, DM) for me.

As for Facebook, IMO, nobody's face even deserves a page leave alone a book; a paragraph about self, may be. Never been there, never intend to go there. Ever since I lost a bundle on the IPO of that stock, I hate it even more but that's a different story :)

The way I see it, I am not spending any time here on DM with strangers; I am only telling them how it is. It's their choice whether to take notes or not LOL

All kidding aside, I have met some really interesting people here on DM who I can "talk to", on topics of interest to me, like I have known them personally for years, whenever I want, without having to put a face to their virtual name. No compulsions in maintaining relationships, not even a obligatory hello. Drop in when you want, leave when you want. What's not to like?

Haha ..Aww ..And Why do ya think Warren Buffet stuck to Old Economy stocks ? ...Tech keeps changing by the minute ..while the daily needs remain mostly the same ...All Chips, Toothpaste, Transportation kind of plays ...LOL

And to be frank  Facebook's fate looks pretty dodgy to me ...I mean whats the fun in talking to the people you alread y know in life ? ..Scummy theme eh ! ..Talk to the sweet strangers ..Like ..Um ...ME ..<< LOL...Look there have been many such tech themes in the past ...Most of which became Dot Gone ..LOL

But such scrips are a fabulous opportunity ..One should sell short on the opening day ..once the initial euphoria abates ..Like once the scrip makes the first lower bottom on a 3 minute candle stick, or you see a MACD crossover ..Hammer it for at least 10 / 12 % gain ...LOL  And then comes that moment to rejoice ..where a schooner or two can help... LOL

Vintu ...Tongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanet

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "FB or IF? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged
Obviously an internet forum, especially one as lax as this one, sort of liberates one from being actually accountable for things we do and say. No commitment to truth or consistency. No vulnerability. On the one hand, it's laziness and procrastination. (I can say with certainty that most of my active time here a few years ago, I was seriously avoiding homework). I've noticed a pattern that I basically spend time on IF when I am avoiding doing something.

In the past 2-3 years, my life has radically changed and my social circle has radically changed. My politics and sense of self is so different today than it was when I first joined this forum (to discuss serials and write embarrassing fan fictions -- for fan girls, mind you -- involving hot TV actors). Obviously I don't want people in real life to know, in so much vivid detail, about all that. They would never take me seriously, especially in places where I have to go toe to toe with people who already condescend to me (i.e. men in my law school classes or in some activist circles who think they are so progressive and educated but act like a**holes if they get called out on their sexist behaviour).

So to me it's very compartmentalized. I think this is so severely separated from my real life that I wouldn't meet up with someone from here or add them on facebook or something like that.

LovelyPlanet

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

Originally posted by Freethinker112

^ Embarrassed by forums? Shocked You hanging in the fangirls section Birdie? LOL

yeah sure. its the fangirls.Tongue They dont offer the same opportunity for intellectual discourse that a SRK vs Salman Khan thread does or  a FB vs IF, do they?LOL

Nah, not at all. LOL

LovelyPlanet

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by LovesLowCulture

FB is social networking. You share your day to day life there. It's for keeping in touch with what others are up to. If is a forum for discussion, dealing with particular topics. You come here to discuss shows with other people who watch it. DM is for discussing with people who have something to say on topic. Both serves different purposes.

I don't think they serve different purposes. It's pretty simple, it's what you make of the websites. Facebook's designed for people to share their lives with their friends, but you can also meet people who are interested in the same things as you and/or join discussions. The same way, IF has a PM function and lets you build a "buddy list" so that you can use it for social networking. 

FB doesn't provide a great platform for discussion. Most you can do is to post something on the page of whatever you like and people may comment, but the discussion isn't as good as forums.

Yes, you may create friends here. But they would more be like co members, acquaintances if you will. Some become good friends and talk a a great deal about personal thinks and most of the times it gets carried over to FB.

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

^ Embarrassed by forums? Shocked You hanging in the fangirls section Birdie? LOL

yeah sure. its the fangirls.Tongue They dont offer the same opportunity for intellectual discourse that a SRK vs Salman Khan thread does or  a FB vs IF, do they?LOL

Nah, not at all. LOL
or 2some vs 3some.. okay ignore me.. im not myself..

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:44am | IP Logged
please note that i did not mean to say you were in high interest group i.e. not social and therefore active. lol. i dont know how active you are.

that was my general assessment that if someone is not much social then they are more likely to spend time in virtual world compared to those who have real world friends and are social there. i didnt mean to suggest  this for you. i am sorry if that impression came out from my post. now that you have described your situation i think you will be in loe/moderate group depending upon your activity.

i am sorry to hear about your mother. may she rest in peace.

no i am not a kid either. lol. you dont get the status of a King when you are kid. anyway hope all clear.
[/QUOTE]
nevermind,, even if you meant me.. i AM spending a lot of time on IF...what is there to be ashamed of  ... i am in a new place..contrasting weather.. friends yes.. but dont know them too well to hang around Wink

i dont mind letting people here or anywhere know who i am generally.. just dont want any one from work to see me here and then mock me.. no.. may be I dont mind that either.. but then everyone else is so secretive here..

BTW you do come across as a sensible person +10 if you are a girl to top that.. very few sensible girls on IF Smile)

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Forever-KAMcNinja

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged

nevermind,, even if you meant me.. i AM spending a lot of time on IF...what is there to be ashamed of  ... i am in a new place..contrasting weather.. friends yes.. but dont know them too well to hang around Wink

i dont mind letting people here or anywhere know who i am generally.. just dont want any one from work to see me here and then mock me.. no.. may be I dont mind that either.. but then everyone else is so secretive here..

BTW you do come across as a sensible person +10 if you are a girl to top that.. very few sensible girls on IF Smile)

LOL +44 if you're a guy. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetVintage.WineForever-KA

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by McNinja

LOL +44 if you're a guy. 

What, sensible guys are rarer than sensible girls on IF? Shocked

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetVintage.WineMcNinja

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.