Page 1
Page   of 15
Page 3 Page 15

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Angie_

It's a myth that all IDs on FB are "real". Not only that, like IF, FB too has its own share of multiple IDs! Thus, it is possible to make anonymous posts  both on IF as well as FB. FB scores due to its wider  reach   (a message can be circulated amongst millions within minutes across geographical, economical, political barriers)whereas  IF scores on account of its user friendly features such as  ease of  posting pictures, cards, music, video , links ' along with ease of quoting each other multiple times.  The current feature on FB for posting links, pictures etc while replying to comments  isn't as convenient.

The creators  of FB and IF may have intended them for networking and entertainment purposes respectively but people do have a way of using them to suit their own intentions. IF can be used for serious discussions as it sometimes happens on DM and also for networking as observed during the petition signing frenzies! FB in turn  does get used for entertainment as well as knowledge sharing purposes through the medium of the various "Groups" (closed as well as open) that are quite a popular feature on FB.

As for the "real Id" it is debatable as to what exactly is real about sharing all that info on ones profile? It isn't even mandatory to share all that info & how does one judge the authenticity !?  Most important, does it even matter as far as virtual friendship is concerned? Which Id is more real? The one that has your parent given name with which  you might hesitate to post your "real" or true opinions and feelings or is it the self created so called "Fake Id" under which one feels free to post ones genuine thoughts? Think about it! Some of the bias regarding real and fake ought to clear up with that . Virtual friendship may be more real in that sense than the real friendship on FB :) I think one would have a better chance  to know the real person under an anonymous Id than on a Real Id ! In the process it may also help you know yourself better :)

@BOLD LOLthoughtful thoughts Angie.. but on IF also people try to be politically correct to attract likes and replies..
Din find many genuine people here unfortunately! and some are just doing what they would have been doing on FB slightly disguised though..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "FB or IF? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lonely0planet

someone pm'd "lets keep this virtual" LOL and refused to identify himself..

made me wonder ..why would any of us spend any time on IF with strangers hiding real self compared to FB where you probably will have your real friends..
okay so the question is why is virtual world more appealing if it is at all appealing that is.
also I think only certain kind or class of people(includes me) spend hours(okay less than an hour LOL) on IF.. dont have clear description though..
thoughts?

What is a "real self?" I would never admit my love for Bigg Boss and (recent love for) Sushant Singh Rajput with my "real life" friends on FB, but I can do it here. Why? Because I'm with people who get that side of me. 
Also, I don't have a lot of desi people around me irl, that's why I like coming on here and interacting with other desis. 
I've met some decent, fun people on here, some who even know identifying details about me (name, where I live, what I do etc.). I guess with self-disclosure, people tend to reciprocate. But I don't think I'll trust anyone completely before I see their legit Facebook account Tongue. Sure, a lot of people of FB have fake accounts, but overall, the site isn't built for anonymity (like a forum). 

PS: If I was birdienumnum, I wouldn't give out any identifying details either LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanet

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by LovesLowCulture

Originally posted by lonely0planet

someone pm'd "lets keep this virtual" LOL and refused to identify himself..

made me wonder ..why would any of us spend any time on IF with strangers hiding real self compared to FB where you probably will have your real friends..
okay so the question is why is virtual world more appealing if it is at all appealing that is.
also I think only certain kind or class of people(includes me) spend hours(okay less than an hour LOL) on IF.. dont have clear description though..
thoughts?

What is a "real self?" I would never admit my love for Bigg Boss and (recent love for) Sushant Singh Rajput with my "real life" friends on FB, but I can do it here. Why? Because I'm with people who get that side of me. 
Also, I don't have a lot of desi people around me irl, that's why I like coming on here and interacting with other desis. 
I've met some decent, fun people on here, some who even know identifying details about me (name, where I live, what I do etc.). I guess with self-disclosure, people tend to reciprocate. But I don't think I'll trust anyone completely before I see their legit Facebook account Tongue. Sure, a lot of people of FB have fake accounts, but overall, the site isn't built for anonymity (like a forum). 

PS: If I was birdienumnum, I wouldn't give out any identifying details either LOL
W*F!!!LOL.. is that you with birdienumnum ID then? lallan?

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
Yes, I am birdienumnum. I am super bored and that's why I created two IDs. Sometimes I like to argue with myself online, at others crack nonsensical, offensive jokes to get attention Tongue

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetMcNinja

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged

Yes, I am birdienumnum. I am super bored and that's why I created two IDs. Sometimes I like to argue with myself online, at others crack nonsensical, offensive jokes to get attention Tongue
LOL im not surprised..we always suspected Birdie was a she

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged
^^ I figured if I keep on saying the outrageous things I did on the ID, someone will figure out it's a parody account. Good catch Wink

LovelyPlanet

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 4:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by K.Universe.

All kidding aside, I have met some really interesting people here on DM who I can "talk to", on topics of interest to me, like I have known them personally for years, whenever I want, without having to put a face to their virtual name. No compulsions in maintaining relationships, not even a obligatory hello. Drop in when you want, leave when you want. What's not to like?

I sincerely hope that you don't think that's how relationships are supposed to work. 

LovelyPlanet

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged

Shocked Shocked

This reminds me of bosses' fair skin thread where I interacted with you and your birdie. It was hilarious at the time, it's another kind hilarious now. ROFL

I was kicking myself for not being around DM and BB forums more, so as to figure out who was behind the pseudonym birdie. LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LovesLowCultureLovelyPlanet

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.