Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

spain thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Great...is this movie really that bad?😳
Thanks for the heads up...cause I'm not going to watch it now.

On the other hand, I'm excited to re-visit the old movie "Panam Padaithavan" again on youtube...
and that's only after reading the cool lyrics of the song "Kan Pona Pokkile Kaal Pogalama" as part of your storyline in Ch. 14.
I never realised that black & white song was stored somewhere deep in my memory till I read out the lyrics.
It's a really cool song I remember watching when I was a little kid.

Compared to the present X generation, we are lucky to have grown up in an era where good films were made and thanks to the internet, we can now watch them again and again on youtube in the comfort of our home.

I feel so sorry for today's young generation.
The movies they watch today as school kids and teenagers is going to be their point of reference later on in their adult years.
And I know for a fact young school girls are excited for Oct. 2nd to come soon...not because it is Gandhi Jayanthi...but because it is going to be the day "Bang Bang" releases and it is going to be a public holiday too!
And why wouldn't they be excited...esp after seeing the trailer pics that has Hrithik Roshan in a semi-nude pose walking out of the ocean waters.

It's really about skin show or no show with double meaning dialogues these days.
You have a choice only between the two now.
I still remember in the song "Chupke se sun..." from "Mission Kashmir", Hrithik Roshan looked irresistibly handsome in a plain kurta and a stubble. The range of emotions his eyes displayed in that song was worthy of writing some beautiful poetry.
I'm really missing those days when the heroes covered up themselves with some decent clothes and got paid for doing some decent acting too.

This is the current trend -
Because Aamir Khan showed up in a transparent shirt with SIX-pack abs in "Ghajini"...(blockbuster movie)
Salman Khan decided to go shirtless and show off his EIGHT-pack abs in "Kick"...(another blockbuster movie)
and now, Shah Rukh Khan is going even further with his unbuttoned shirt exposing his TEN-pack abs in the trailers of "Happy New Year" (he and Deepika must be desperately praying this movie is their next blockbuster after "Chennai Express").
But it looks like Hrithik Roshan has already won the race (even before his movie "Bang Bang" has released!) as women across the world have written explicit obscene love letters to him...which he found to be "highly embarrassing" to read!!😆

Honestly, I really do feel so sorry for today's X generation.

I would rather go back to youtube and watch the good old Salman Khan songs of the early 90s.
He was my first childhood crush and back then, he looked so adorable and innocent...with his puppy eyes and cute smile...
Not to mention, he gave me a thousand little butterflies in my stomach too.
I really miss those days!

An old song from his movie "Ek Ladka Ek Ladki" (1992):
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdKE1qBnXp8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by spain - 9 years ago
light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
                                                 Bigger Piece

One night at the dinner table, the wife commented, "When we were first married, you took the small piece of steak and gave me the larger. Now you take the large one and leave me the smaller. You don't love me anymore."

"Nonsense, darling," replied the husband, "you just cook better now."
light_dark thumbnail
Finding fanny was neither good or bad but just a lost cause for it started with a whimper and ended with a whimper,aimlessly meandering in between.I kept asking myself and thinking aloud as to what the director thought about the whole thing and his need to bring this lost cause to the big screen.If only we had all the answers to all the questions in the universe.

I am really suprised that you know the song kan pona pokkile for i thought it was way too much in the past for you to recognise it.But i hope the title helped.The most important aspects of old songs by vaali and kannadasan are the purity,diction and the meaning.And when sung by tms they really rise above any of the bullshit you hear.But then todays generation deserve what they are getting as way of music.

some of my favourite old songs are

orayiram parvaiyile
nenjam marappathillai
Thookkam Un Kangalai
unnai kaanatha nenjam
Vantha Naal Muthal
naalai intha velai paarthu
Roja Malarae
paatu paadava
PAARVAI ONDRE
 Ennai maranthadhen
Mayakkamaa Kalakkamaa
Muthukalo Kangal

spain thumbnail
Thanks for sharing your favourite old songs, Satish.

I did not grow up in India so I was not very fluent in Tamil when I was a child.
The only Tamil I would hear would be at home when my parents spoke to me...but even then, the answer would come out of my mouth in English because I was surrounded by my English-speaking friends in school and in my neighbourhood.
I had no access to Tamil tv channels (like Doordarshan), no Tamil radio channels and of course, there was no internet back then.
There was a small Indian community where I grew up and a few Tamil family friends would exchange video cassettes of Tamil movies with my parents.
I remember my father loved watching old Tamil movies because they reminded him of his childhood days back in India.

He would sit with me on a weekend and we would watch a few old black & white Tamil movies together as a family.
I was too young to understand the proper Tamil dialect spoken in films and I would often get distracted by wanting to play with my toys. But my father would put me next him and he would translate each dialogue from Tamil to English so that I could understand what they were saying.

One of those old video cassettes I watched as a child was "Panam Padaithavan". I think this was the first MGR movie I saw. I remember watching the song "Kan Pona Pokkile" and enjoying its music without really understanding the lyrics. I also remember thinking MGR looked "hot" in a tuxedo 😃 playing the piano and singing gracefully as Sowcar Janaki was dancing.

But as I have grown older, I have learnt to appreciate old Tamil movies better.
When I later went to India and studied medicine, I became fluent in Tamil and developed reasonably good command over the language after interacting with patients in the hospital.
By then, people had access to satellite tv (ie. sun tv, jaya tv, raj tv, etc) and internet...and everyone was walking around with a mobile phone in their hands. My colleagues would download the coolest AR Rahman ringtones on their mobile phone.

But once I remember I went to see an old patient during my training years and while I was talking with him...his mobile ringtone went off playing the tune "Ponnai Virumbum Bhoomiyile..."
I lost track of what I was telling him and immediately recollected my childhood days spent abroad.
I asked him, "Hey, isn't this song from "Aalayamani" where Sivaji loses his legs and Saroja Devi takes him to the garden on his wheelchair?"
I don't know from where I said that...but I think I must have photographic memory!
He looked at me in astonishment because he said there is no way today's generation would even recognise this song now on sun music tv channel.
We ended up having an extended conversation about old Tamil songs...and we both forgot we were suppose to be having a doctor-patient conversation instead!

I do not know black and white Tamil songs very well.
But if I listen to the music or read the lyrics somewhere...my memory from some hidden corner shoots out the movie name and which actor starred in it.

I liked watching "Nenjam Marapathillai" as a child. I loved the reincarnation theme of lovers meeting a tragic end in one life and yet meeting again in the next life...and the only connection they have of their past love story is the repeated haunting tune of the title track song.

I liked watching Sivaji-Savitri from "Navarathri". I vaguely remember it was about Sivaji doing 9 different roles, but I liked him in that stylish villainy song where he sings seductively to Savitri in the brothel "Iravinil aatam, pagalinil thookkam...idhuthaan engal ulagam, engal ulagam".
His eyes spoke evil temptation and her eyes spoke fear while he slowly advances towards her in that song...it looked funny, I know...but even I got scared while watching his eyes act!
If you try to recreate that situation today, it would be really bad acting with a lot of skin show on-screen.

Another one of the easiest Tamil songs I understood at a young age was "Ninaipathellam Nadanthuvittal" from "Nenjil oru alayam". The meaning of the lyrics was so beautiful and haunting.

You're right. The old Tamil songs definitely had more meaning and depth back then!

One of the reasons why I like Illaiyaraja songs so much is because in today's fast-paced world, his songs bring back so many lost memories of my childhood life spent with my parents abroad.
I didn't watch many Tamil films as a child, but of the very few I saw, I remembered them very, very well.

Another favourite Tamil film I saw when I was really young was "Naan Paadum Padal". I was obsessed with all the songs from this movie, including "Paadava Un Paadalai..."OMG...what an amazing song composed by Illaiyaraja and sung by S. Janaki!!
It was a high-voltage drama song, where on one end, wife is waiting for her husband as she sings in a recording theatre for a movie song...and in another end, the husband just finished work in an operating theatre rushing on the road traffic to reach his wife's recording studio on time.
I still find time to listen to this song when I come back home from a tiring day at work and the music always gives me the goosebumps.

But it was only recently when I came across a facebook page that stated the reel life scenario of that 1984 song was based on the real life tragic incident of singer Kalyani Menon (I only know her as mother of Rajiv Menon, who is director of "Minsara Kanavu" and "Kandukondain Kandukondain.")
Apparently, Kalyani Menon was a famous singer back in 1970s, and her husband met with a tragic accident while she was due to record a song in the recording studio. She pretty much gave up her singing career after that.

The amount of hidden despair within these songs is really like unfolding a story of its own.
Old songs don't just give us great lyrics and great memories...they tell us great stories too.
Too bad the current generation is missing out on all this.
light_dark thumbnail
Hi people,
                    Please follow these websites and you will discover a lot about our favourite actor kamalhassan.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/kamal-haasan-talks-about-arts-music-and-dance/article6317133.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/you-can-feel-the-fear-in-the-song-kamal-haasan/article6338555.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/kamal-haasan-recalls-his-association-with-ilaiyaraja/article6360293.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/and-more-on-the-ilaiyaraaja-connection/article6379569.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/kamal-and-the-art-of-screenplay-writing/article6401133.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/dance/kamal-discovers-kuchipudi/article6422724.ece?homepage=true

light_dark thumbnail
THE INFINITE LOOP

Infinite loop is a computer programming concept, describing a situation of cause and effect that continues forever, one action causing another action that causes the first action etc.These loops never happen in real life, unless ...

A company CEO tells his secretary: "Next week we're going to a convention abroad and spend some quality time together, please make all the required arrangements."
The secretary calls her husband: "Next week the boss is taking me abroad for a week on business, please take care of yourself during this time."
The husband calls his lover: "My wife is going abroad for a week, lets spend it together..."
The lover, a private school teacher, tells the children: "Because of a personal problem, I will not be at school next week, so you'll be studying at home."
One of the kids went to his grandfather and said: "Grandpa, next week I don't have school, you promised me that if I had time off we'd go to the mountains together."
The grandfather, who was also the CEO, calls his secretary and tells her: "My grandson asked me to spend the week with him, so we're not going abroad."
The secretary calls her husband: "The boss cancelled, we'll be together, my love."
The husband calls his lover: "We can't spend the week together, my wife is staying."
The lover tells the kids: "My problem was solved, school is back on."
The kid goes to the grandfather: "Sorry grandpa, school is back on, I won't be able to go."
The CEO calls his secretary: "My grandson won't be able to spend next week with me, rebook the flight abroad"
The secretary calls her husband, "Next week the boss is taking me abroad for a week on business, please take care of yourself during this time."
light_dark thumbnail
Hi spain,

I stumbled upon these articles on ilayaraja which were published during the 90's.I was searching for his film songs based on carnatic raagas and i was led to the site.I hope you like them.

http://www.s-anand.net/blog/classical-ilayaraja/

http://tfmpage.com/ci/

Here are some carnatic based film songs.

0 ! ! ! 1979 all4u - Kavarimaan - Brova Bharama          402

0 ! ! ! 1979 all4u - Kavarimaan - Solla Vallaayo          279

0 ! ! ! 1981 all4u - Thillu Mullu - Raagangal Pathinaru          1647

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai - Alaipayuthe Kanna          752

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai - Gowri Kalyana          385

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai - Kallaai Nee          224

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai - Nithisala Sugama          242

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai - Paahimaam Shree          236

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai - Raagas          222

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Ilamai Kaalangal - Raagavane Ramana          641

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Oru Odai Nadhiyagirathu - Thalaiyai Kuniyum          2259

0 ! ! ! 1983 all4u - Salangai Oli - Bala Kanaka          1957

0 ! ! ! 1984 all4u - Enakkul Oruvan - Ther Kondu Sendravan          428

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Aadhithiya          497

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Aanandha Nadanam          585

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Lochana          477

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Maga Ganapathim          3533

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Manadhil Urudhi          2714

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Mari Mari Ninne          2890

0 ! ! ! 1985 all4u - Sindhu Bhairavi - Nee Dayaradaah          625

0 ! ! ! 1986 all4u - Isai Paadum Thendral - Manasiloni          273

0 ! ! ! 1986 all4u - Isai Paadum Thendral - Manasuna Neekai          229

0 ! ! ! 1986 all4u - Maragatha Veenai - Sudha Madhurya          231

0 ! ! ! 1986 all4u - Mella Thiranthathu Kathavu - Pavana Guru          598

0 ! ! ! 1987 all4u - Ore Oru Gramathile - Mano Javam          147

0 ! ! ! 1987 all4u - Ore Oru Gramathile - Nallathor Veenai          322

0 ! ! ! 1990 all4u - Keladi Kanmani - Vaaranam Aayiram (f)          543

0 ! ! ! 1990 all4u - Keladi Kanmani - Vaaranam Aayiram (m)          366

0 ! ! ! 1991 all4u - En Arugil Nee Irundhal - Oru Kanam Aagilum          331

0 ! ! ! 1991 all4u - En Arugil Nee Irundhal - Udhayam Neeye          182

0 ! ! ! 1991 all4u - Gopura Vaasalile - Naadham Ezhunthathadi          855

0 ! ! ! 1991 all4u - Thalapathi - Yamunai Aatrile          6192

0 ! ! ! 1991 all4u - Vanna Vanna Pookkal - Dhirana Dhiranana          75

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Aavaram Poo - Mandhiram Idhu          501

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Devar Magan - Maasaru Ponne          1756

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Devar Magan - Manamagale Manamagale          678

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Guna - Paartha Vizhi          3079

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Idhu Namma Bhoomi - Vaana Mazhai          1223

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Unnai Vaazhthi Paadugiren - Unnai Vaazhtha          112

0 ! ! ! 1992 all4u - Villu Paatukaran - Ponnil Vaanam          147

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Kadhalan - Ennavale Adi          4310

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Moha Mull - Kamalam Paadha          941

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Moha Mull - Nenje Gurunadharin (Arunmozhi)          482

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Moha Mull - Nenje Gurunadharin (Sreekumar)          295

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Moha Mull - Sollaayo Vaai Thiranthu (f)          1006

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Moha Mull - Sollaayo Vaai Thiranthu (Sreekumar)          529

0 ! ! ! 1994 all4u - Veera - Thirumagal Un Mugam          170

0 ! ! ! 1995 all4u - Kolangal - Mouna Raagam          116

0 ! ! ! 1997 all4u - Iruvar - Narumugaye          2720

0 ! ! ! 1998 all4u - Jeans - Kannodu Kaanbathellaam          531

0 ! ! ! 1998 all4u - Kanmani Oru Kavithai - Raagam Azhaithu          227

0 ! ! ! 1999 all4u - Sangamam - Sowkiyama Kanne          1089

0 ! ! ! 1999 all4u - Sethu - Saranam Bhava          295

0 ! ! ! 2000 all4u - Alaipayuthey - Alaipayuthey          387

0 ! ! ! 2000 all4u - Heyram - Isaiyil Thodanguthamma          2426

spain thumbnail
Thanks for providing the link to this site, Satish.
It's much appreciated. When I get time, I will surely listen to these songs.

I'm not really a music wizard and I don't even understand the ABCs of any raagas...
but if there is a language that doesn't need any understanding, it is Illaiyaraja's language of music.

Having grown up on AR Rahman's fast-beating tunes, I was surprised how well one can get drawn like a magnet to Illaiyaraja's lilting beats.
His BGM score for "Mouna Ragam" and "Punnagai Mannan" are truly evergreen haunting tunes.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9p3HWPeLKY[/YOUTUBE]

The "Punnagai Mannan" theme music composed by Illaiyaraja is best watched than heard.
And it's healing medicine for the soul.
I'm not sure who to appreciate more in this piece...Illaiyaraja's haunting tunes, K. Balachander's direction, Revathi's naughtiness or Kamalhassan's restrained act with so much of love in his eyes coupled with controlled dance movements!?

I believe the dialogue scene before the music starts was done in one shot by Kamal and Revathi. I don't know how they did that scene in a single shot without laughing...cause honestly, I can't stop laughing whenever I saw this movie and watched all the scolding scenes.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6gC1frSeJU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4GtbzcGWjk[/YOUTUBE]

I would like to dedicate these tunes to Anirudh after listening to his "Kaththi" music yesterday.
Honestly, I have no words to comment on the songs these days.
And I bet "Selfie Pulla...give me a Ummaah Ummaah" is going to be the next blockbuster song of this year too!😳

light_dark thumbnail
There is an old fable about a puppy that was vigorously chasing its tail. An old dog saw him and asked, "Why are you chasing your tail so?"

The puppy answered, "I have mastered philosophy.   I have solved the problems of our universe, which no dog before me has solved correctly.  I have learned that the best thing for a dog is contentment and happiness.   I have further discovered that contentment lies within my tail.  Therefore, I am chasing it; and when I catch it, I shall have happiness!"

The old dog just nodded his wrinkled head, then replied, "My son, I, too, have paid attention to the problems of our universe. In my own weak way, I have formed some opinions.  Like you, I have judged that contentment and happiness are fine things for a dog and that, indeed, happiness lies within my tail.  But I have also noticed that when I chase it, it keeps running from me; but when I simply go about my business, it follows after me."
light_dark thumbnail
These are Memphis,  tennessee's 911 Calls!

1.  Dispatcher : 9-1-1 What is your emergency?
Caller: I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner.
Dispatcher: Do you have  an address?
Caller:  No, I have on a blouse and slacks, why?

2.  Dispatcher : 9-1-1 What is your emergency?
Caller :  Someone broke into my house and took
a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich .
Dispatcher : Excuse me?
Caller :  I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the
kitchen table and when I came back from the bathroom,
someone had taken a bite out of it.
Dispatcher : Was anything else taken?
Caller :  No, but this has happened to me before and I'm sick and tired of it!

3.  Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is the nature of your emergency?
Caller:   I'm trying to reach nine eleven but my phone doesn't have an eleven on it.
Dispatcher: This is nine eleven.
Caller:    I thought you just said it was nine-one-one
Dispatcher: Yes, ma'am nine-one-one and nine-eleven are the same thing.
Caller:    Honey, I may be old, but I'm not stupid.

AND...
My Personal Favorite!!!
4.  Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What's the nature of your emergency?
Caller:    My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart
Dispatcher: Is this her first child?
Caller:    No, you idiot! This is her husband!
And the winner is...
5.  Dispatcher: 9-1-1

Caller:
Yeah, I'm having trouble breathing. I'm all out of breath.
Darn...I think I'm going to pass out.
Dispatcher: Sir, where are you calling from
Caller:   I'm at a pay phone. North and Foster.
Dispatcher:  Sir, an ambulance is on the way. Are you an asthmatic?
Caller:   No
Dispatcher: What were you doing before you started having trouble breathing?
Caller:   Running from the Police