Debate Mansion

When will INDIA become the trendsetter? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 20

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 22 February 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged
Edited as some members might take it in wrong manner.

FYI, It was a poll asking to choose between few celebrity avi pictures. lol.

Edited by King-Anu - 22 February 2013 at 2:11pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "When will INDIA become the trendsetter? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 22 February 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged
The new trend is to keep beard. It looks cool and hides wrinkles as well.

Year is 2030.  Music ('aaawnn aaawwnn awwwnn). Then comes the title

Yash RaJ's next starring Shahruk Khan

Heart

Heart

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 5:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ChocoBoyBarun..

Indian's lack confidence. Majority of the younger India feels that wearing a Salwar kameez makes them backward. Whereas wearing Mini skirts,gowns make them modern
Can someone define modern for me? Is being modern equal to wearing western? Is behaving in the english way [Which we are not] modern? 
PS- I have nothing against the west. What I want to say is why aren't Indian's comfident about their dresses,language culture etc etc? 
Your thinking, your ideology make you modern. Not your dresses.

I'm waiting for the day when Salwaar suits will be worn by people around the world like jeans and tops are. And Sari's instead of yucky irritating,elongated gowns

(Not just in the case of dressing)

For me it is not about "modern" or "backward", it is about comfort. I am a student so I have to travel almost everyday using bus, rickshaws, walking or by train. Sometimes when I am lucky I will find the trains empty and it is easy to travel then. But during the rush hours you are pushed around, stuffed and squeezed and can barely breathe let alone move. I dare you to wear salwaar kameez and sari and go through one these messed up situations everyday! You have to run behind the buses, stand hours for the rickshaw and endure the weather.. Does not take a genius to guess that jeans or something similar is more comfortable than salwaar or sari. So that's why jeans is more common than Sari.
Now coming to mini skirts and gowns, yes people wear them and why shouldn't they? 
If you want India to start trending, I suggest wearing kurta, dhoti, lungi etc instead of suits, t shirts and casuals. Do you? Would you? 
I do not find salwaar and sari part of a "backward" tradition. I wear them on occasions. I find people wearing salwaar and saaris too. There are kurtis that you see in everyday wear and lehengas and other wears that you see girls wearing on special occasions. Students prefer wearing jeans and tops simply because it is more comfortable. 

@bold: 
Your thinking, your ideology make you modern. Not your dresses.

I hear ya. 

Edited by Heart - 23 February 2013 at 5:44am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ethereal..

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged
@return to hades:
True that. There is a long history of appropriation of Indian (and other) cultures by western capital. I do think those processes have always been unequal, so maybe the OP has a point.

@choco boy
I think the reason why Western stuff is popular across the world has to do with how markets work, and the origins of that lie in the capitalist domination centered in the US. You would find political economy interesting.

LeadNitrate

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged
From Gaultier's SS 2013 Menswear Collection: 

Marchesa's Spring 2013 Collection was inspired by Indian outfits and fabrics: 

Also Rabbani Khar's fashion-sense has been appreciated all over the world: 

Edited by LovesLowCulture - 23 February 2013 at 3:37pm

McNinja

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by LovesLowCulture

From Gaultier's SS 2013 Menswear Collection: 

why dont we see such jokers in real life? please be honest. has anyone here seen someone wearing above clothes? lol

center above and left below are just comical. lol.

dressed more like people who stand outside the door of hotel...dont know what they are called. doorman i guess.

Edited by King-Anu - 23 February 2013 at 5:50pm

LovelyPlanet

SaalaDonkey

Goldie

SaalaDonkey

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Wasn't India a trendsetter of sorts when Slumdog Millionaire became a global phenomenon? It popularized Bollywood films, Bollywood outfits and Bollywood dancing across the globe. So many westerners also now have Bollywood dancing at their weddings. So many western dance shows are having Bollywood dances.

India has also set trends in the culinary world. Chicken Tikka masala, doner kebab and the most awesome curry fries are quintessential British pub grub that is inspired by Indian trends. Indian food is trendy and popular in the states also. Drinking Chai tea and chai tea lattes is the in thing amidst hipsters, all inspired by desi chai.

Yoga is a global trend. People around the world are enjoying Hot Yoga. That's also a trend from India. Many "green" and "anti-Pharmaceutical" people are turning to alternative medicines like ayurvedic herbal cures or homeopathy, again trends with Indian roots.

When Ravi Shankar taught George Lennon the sitar, the sitar became a trendy instrument. Ravi Shankar was a legend in many indie music circuits and there are many indie bands influence by sitar , tabla and classical Indian beats.

If we look at history India has set trends in arts, architecture, culture etc.

So I don't get where we conclude that India is not a trend setter. Perhaps by myopically narrowing down on "fashion" as the only place where one can set trends, you're perspectives have been whitewashed by western influences. :P

How strange is it? 
The world is slowly accepting India and the youngistaan detests it and its tradition

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 5:42am | IP Logged
Why does the world have to wear saree or salwaar or for that matter dhoti to be trendsetter.
dresses are but a small part of the lifestyle.
 there are so many things people can take to be a trendsetter.

as for fashion, aping another just for the sake of it is disaster. when a star in mumbai wears thing high boots in feburary, its weird and aping, but not when a regular working woman is fighting her way in the busy streets wearing jeans.

why don't we first define what exactly trendsetting is?

I agree to RTH's post  a lot. trendsetting doesn't mean juxtaposing our choice or culture on someone else and basking in its glory.
rather I would prefer fushion and harmony as trendsetting. a common point where the twain meets.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top