Debate Mansion

When will INDIA become the trendsetter?

cupoftea11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Indian's lack confidence. Majority of the younger India feels that wearing a Salwar kameez makes them backward. Whereas wearing Mini skirts,gowns make them modern
Can someone define modern for me? Is being modern equal to wearing western? Is behaving in the english way [Which we are not] modern? 
PS- I have nothing against the west. What I want to say is why aren't Indian's comfident about their dresses,language culture etc etc? 
Your thinking, your ideology make you modern. Not your dresses.

I'm waiting for the day when Salwaar suits will be worn by people around the world like jeans and tops are. And Sari's instead of yucky irritating,elongated gowns

(Not just in the case of dressing)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: ChocoBoyBarun..

Indian's lack confidence. Majority of the younger India feels that wearing a Salwar kameez makes them backward. Whereas wearing Mini skirts,gowns make them modern

Can someone define modern for me? Is being modern equal to wearing western? Is behaving in the english way [Which we are not] modern? 
PS- I have nothing against the west. What I want to say is why aren't Indian's comfident about their dresses,language culture etc etc? 
Your thinking, your ideology make you modern. Not your dresses.

I'm waiting for the day when Salwaar suits will be worn by people around the world like jeans and tops are. And Sari's instead of yucky irritating,elongated gowns

(Not just in the case of dressing)

We should understand the differences...Western mind and Eastern minds are different...western mind is aggressive, violent...eastern mind is receptive, just open and waiting...western mind has something to contribute to the world... It is science, not religion...eastern mind can contribute only religion, not technology or science... but science and religion are complementary...we can realize both their differences and their complementariness, then a better world culture can be born out of it...but most of the people love/like to flow or adopt many things in their life...people like/want to impress others without any reason or the inferior issue..moment you compare urself with somebody, the conclusion that comes out of the comparison is ego...for eg:Girls don't dress for guys, they dress for themselves or to show other girls... If they dressed for guys they would be naked all the time...πŸ˜›
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: Prometeus

We should understand the differences...Western mind and Eastern minds are different...western mind is aggressive, violent...eastern mind is receptive, just open and waiting...western mind has something to contribute to the world... It is science, not religion...eastern mind can contribute only religion, not technology or science... but science and religion are complementary...we can realize both their differences and their complementariness, then a better world culture can be born out of it...but most of the people love/like to flow or adopt many things in their life...people like/want to impress others without any reason or the inferior issue..moment you compare urself with somebody, the conclusion that comes out of the comparison is ego...for eg:Girls don't dress for guys, they dress for themselves or to show other girls... If they dressed for guys they would be naked all the time...πŸ˜›

Can some girl confirm this finding/observation from Prometeus?  I am a little shocked

The primary reason for wearing clothes is protecting ownself from extremes of weather. Then there are many other factors.

@ topic. I cannot speak for India but my observation is that such behavior/mindset is reflection of

a) system around the world which is dominated by west. language, tech, office environment etc were set by west so one has to enter that system.

b) yes then we have KaJo (karan johar) types who paint a picture which is not true.
Edited by King-Anu - 11 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: King-Anu

Can some girl confirm this finding/observation from Prometeus?  I am a little shocked --
Yes 'some' can, the topic itself talking about that 'some' ppl...& I think I miss to add the word 'MODERN' in between😊 

The primary reason for wearing clothes is protecting ownself from extremes of weather. Then there are many other factors. -- agree, but most of the people belief, beautiful people are very few..hence modern dressing/makeup has become almost a routine thing...I believe whole idea of fashionable dressing/makeup, is basically hypocrisy..but but but...the pretender can defeat the real, becos the pretender can practice, can rehearse, can manage and manipulate in many ways...

@ topic. I cannot speak for India but my observation is that such behavior/mindset is reflection of

a) system around the world which is dominated by west. language, tech, office environment etc were set by west so one has to enter that system.

b) yes then we have KaJo (karan johar) types who paint a picture which is not true.

Forever-KA thumbnail
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

great topic. i understand the need for indian women to wear western clothes for comfort and to blend in. No issues there, but it's silly if they wear western clothes thinking they actually look very pretty in them. Western clothes and hips that stick out don't go well together.😊
Forever-KA thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

great topic. i understand the need for indian women to wear western clothes for comfort and to blend in. No issues there, but it's silly if they wear western clothes thinking they actually look very pretty in them. Western clothes and hips that stick out don't go well together.😊

What an indepth and thought provoking analysis. lol. So "hips that stick out" should be the reason Indian women not wear western clothes. I dont think topic starter was thinking on those lines.

And what should be the equivalent point in case of men? Why should desi men not wear shorts? because of Anil Kapoor like hair all over? lol.

Forever-KA thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: .Baazigar.

1. My first point is who we are to decide what is best for women to wear. Why do you think they themselves dont have the freedom to decide what to wear ? It is difficult to figure out why we men are behind what women should wear, even the first thing talibans impose is women should wear head to toe burkha. So why only stop at wearing chudidar infact the more appropriate culture will be full burkha and saree with 2 feet ghoonghat /palu.

2. As per your view If you just categorise Salwar as Indian and Jeans as western , and think wearing jeans is demeaning and against culture than 

Why cant the same standard should be impose on us, indian culture is wearing DHOTI and LUNGI , and not jeans-pants . So we should also follow the standard culture and starting wearing dhoti and lungi.

I dont think topic maker is deciding anything for anyone. He/She is

- asking why is that desis are heavily influenced by attire from other cultures. is it a reflection of lack of confidence on ownself

- when will there be a day when others will copy what desis wear

I answered saying it could be reflection of a western dominated system out there we live in an environment where English, dollar, pant, shirt, western holidays, movies, tech, etc run the show.
Then we have people who like their dressing more than own. Then there are those try to act wester. Its a mix bag.
McNinja thumbnail
Why are western dresses "yucky" πŸ˜†

Anyway, generally speaking its an old-age inferiority complex that the culture of the subcontinent still seems to harbor and promote. Some Stockholm Syndrome related behavior, where Indians seem to have an affinity for their former oppressors. 

And this school of thought is only promoted by Indians themselves, judging other Indians who may not speak English, wear jeans, or partake in more "western" recreational activities. 

This content was originally posted by: King-Anu

The primary reason for wearing clothes is protecting ownself from extremes of weather. Then there are many other factors.

If that is  so then people in warm countries like India should have been wearing shorter and more revealing clothes . what we see is that people from colder climates instead wear shorter dresses πŸ€“

Gol maal hai bhai saaab Gol Mal hai---