Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 10

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

Originally posted by Freethinker112

Wow, that's quite condescending of you, pretending as if yoga exists on some higher level and gym isn't "humble and focused" enough. What field today doesn't prey on insecurity? I see so much misinformation propagating "fitness" magazines and DVDs. FYI, bodybuilding is a lifestyle too. I would elaborate, but seems like you already made up your mind in your little bubble.

Nope, didn't say that, and never romanticized yoga. In fact, I said yoga is also commercialized and has problems of its own. The point of my posts was to clear the misinformation about yoga in this thread, especially the kind of "masculinist" bias that exists out there against yoga. I think you are being deliberately antagonistic and either not reading or not understanding half of what I said, because you have continued to just pit the two against each other which was never my point.

You posted this.

Originally posted by --arti--

I don't think you can practice humility and mental focus as well in the gym as you can do if you practice yoga as a habit, as a lifestyle.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Yoga or Gym? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:39am | IP Logged
and who said gyms dont offer yoga classes? .. dont think its gym versus yoga..
rather modern exercises like aerobics, weights, machines, viper, trx, swimming versus Yoga..
.. just that HIIT works on some people like me faster than yoga Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Madhura..McNinja

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged
^ I respect both and both have their own places. Depending on goal, one can choose one or the other. What I din't like was people behaving as if yoga is some "sophisticated" thing than using weighted resistance training.

HIIT is a great workout.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

McNinja

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 3:30pm | IP Logged
I re-read what I said and still think the problem lies in your interpretation. I wasn't even talking to you, I was talking about my experience. You said "neither are designed to remove insecurities," which was a pretty pig-headed non-comment. My response was meant to contextualize the value of practicing a lifestyle that integrates mental and physical well-being. Since I don't really care, I'm not going to repeat myself anymore, so you can stop addressing me.

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 12:26am | IP Logged
^ So, I am pig-headed now? More wowness. If you actually tried you own advice and read better, you would see I actually was agreeing with your conclusion.

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .EatMyShorts.

I'm so confused.

Which is a better way of keeping myself fit and healthy? I know yoga is inexpensive in India as compared to a gym membership. What is your take on fitness? How important is it to you? Given your choice, what would you opt for?
not sure if you got your answer still.. saw several diversions from the main topic.

so which gym is this? Fitness First is in india now and it is expensive.. 5K-ish a month?.. but you would benefit a lot from group classes etc..

If you know yourself what to do in the gym then any local gym should be fine..that should nt cost much right? 5,6 years ago when I was travelling to Mumbai for work for a month or so.. i used to pay 200 rupees for each trip.. then those guys became friendly and flirty and discounted 100%(LOLyeah its possible in india).

who is teaching you yoga.. in a group or individually? if individually and inexpensive, go for it! because you would be able to do on your own..

some more options
have you considered swimming? thats another great inexpensive workout too..
also can consider investing in a treadmill..you will probably exercise more than going to gym or yoga!

moomin4455

IF-Dazzler

moomin4455

Posted: 02 March 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged
Yoga and pilates all the way!!! I find the gym so sooo boring - I tried, paid an expensive subscription, even went with friends but just became too bored.

Yoga can be gentle but incredibly intense - great for one's flexibility, breathing, strength. Plus some of my friends who do yoga have said it help them shift stubborn weight that other types of workouts couldn't Pilates is great at strengthening and toning, plus it's intense.

I still have issues sticking to exercise because that's just me. But I've stuck to yoga workouts as much as I can because they're so satisfying - I feel really uplifted and not just tired. I even sleep better after having done a workout.Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

McNinjaKookiemonster

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 02 March 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by moomin4455

Yoga and pilates all the way!!! I find the gym so sooo boring - I tried, paid an expensive subscription, even went with friends but just became too bored.

Yoga can be gentle but incredibly intense - great for one's flexibility, breathing, strength. Plus some of my friends who do yoga have said it help them shift stubborn weight that other types of workouts couldn't Pilates is great at strengthening and toning, plus it's intense.

I still have issues sticking to exercise because that's just me. But I've stuck to yoga workouts as much as I can because they're so satisfying - I feel really uplifted and not just tired. I even sleep better after having done a workout.Smile

Does this mean you rock yoga pants?  Shocked

Post Reply New Post

Go to top