Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Yoga or Gym? (Page 5)

Freethinker112 IF-Sizzlerz
Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 4:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

As for weight loss, I have very mixed opinions on that. Weight loss isn't and shouldn't always be a fitness goal. Those with excess weight may want to lose some weight, and that's fine, but you don't need to have a totally lean body to be fit. I think the notion that thin=healthy is really problematic and not supported by medical data either. Most medical data show that level of physical activity and stress influence propensity to get disease, not just body weight or waist size.

If one is within reasonable bodyfat i.e. not obese, <20% for men and <25% for women, it's good. Getting lean is just a personal goal, some people like the lean look. But getting excess lean is unhealthy too.

You can lose weight through yoga, but that's not the objective. The objective is to inhabit your body differently. My biggest challenge is how to practice more humility and bodily acceptance, and that's one of the things that attracted me to yoga. Because I am less than avg height, was very thin for a long time (in addition to having asmall voice), I was directly and indirectly bullied. Bullying doesn't just mean when someone picks on you. It can be when people look at you and think you "need help" or you must not be very smart because of how you look or sound, etc. and I learned to retaliate by being as "tough" and as preemptively "aggressive" as possible to people, and that's when I started lifting weights to try to add more bulk to my frame, wearing heels regularly and so on. I just realized that wasn't working for me. I needed to stop thinking of my body as diminutive to really get over some of that stuff.

Neither gym nor yoga is designed to remove insecurities. That's something you need to get over. As said, accept what you can't change and change what you can, and have the wisdom to differentiate. Height is fixed, but one can sculpt the body however they like.
LeadNitrate IF-Veteran Member
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

@Tanni

Mixing up routine once in a while is actually helpful when one plateaus. 

LOLLOLLOL I am forever plateauing. rather sine curving. loosing and gaining weight. 

Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 4:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tannipartner

@Tanni

Mixing up routine once in a while is actually helpful when one plateaus. 

LOLLOLLOL I am forever plateauing. rather sine curving. loosing and gaining weight. 

That is not plateauing. LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tannipartner

FT, exactly, thats why i said i  disagree a bit.

For me I find a healthy dose of both is ideal, and try to maintain the balance.

@ prometeus: girls wearing makeup to gym is just girls being girls, not  always coz they go there for show. hell I have seen women burning in fever have eye makeup on at the doctors.

^LOL
May be bcos some ppl more into looks..,.any girl can be cute with the right amount of makeupSmile
LeadNitrate IF-Veteran Member
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 5:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Prometeus

^LOL
May be bcos some ppl more into looks..,.any girl can be cute with the right amount of makeupSmile

LOLLOLLOL not always no.
but to be honest, i never really saw women in my gym wearing too much  makeup, maybe a little on eye. but judging from my situation, i guess its coz they come directly to gym after work and never have time to remove them.
my eyes are all spooky and racoony when i enter gym from the makeup i have had on from the morningLOLLOL

-Believe-

--arti-- Goldie
--arti--
--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 7:32am | IP Logged

Neither gym nor yoga is designed to remove insecurities. That's something you need to get over. As said, accept what you can't change and change what you can, and have the wisdom to differentiate. Height is fixed, but one can sculpt the body however they like.

Not what I was talking about. Yoga isn't just a form of exercise, it is a lifestyle. Ideally it should help you think and feel differently about your body and the way you inhabit it in your life. Gyms are part of a lifestyle too, for some people, and I said that that doesn't work for me. I think in many ways gyms are tied up with manufactured consumer anxieties (and unhealthy standards that promote insecurities for some), and I find them boring and disengaging places personally. I don't think you can practice humility and mental focus as well in the gym as you can do if you practice yoga as a habit, as a lifestyle. It is a different mindset, and that's what I was drawing attention to.

I am not going pretend yoga isn't highly commercialized (and I have a lot of opinions on yoga and gender, race, and class, but that's another thread), but I think its goal (or ideal goal) is one that can not just transform you as a person, but it can actually help be a form of resistance against inaccurate notions of health and well-being. We all know those notions are constantly being promoted by companies to sell ridiculously unhealthy products and push a kind of lifestyle that is always about being insecure, developing messed up relationships with food, and always feeling inadequate.
Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged

Not what I was talking about. Yoga isn't just a form of exercise, it is a lifestyle. Ideally it should help you think and feel differently about your body and the way you inhabit it in your life. Gyms are part of a lifestyle too, for some people, and I said that that doesn't work for me. I think in many ways gyms are tied up with manufactured consumer anxieties (and unhealthy standards that promote insecurities for some), and I find them boring and disengaging places personally. I don't think you can practice humility and mental focus as well in the gym as you can do if you practice yoga as a habit, as a lifestyle. It is a different mindset, and that's what I was drawing attention to.

I am not going pretend yoga isn't highly commercialized (and I have a lot of opinions on yoga and gender, race, and class, but that's another thread), but I think its goal (or ideal goal) is one that can not just transform you as a person, but it can actually help be a form of resistance against inaccurate notions of health and well-being. We all know those notions are constantly being promoted by companies to sell ridiculously unhealthy products and push a kind of lifestyle that is always about being insecure, developing messed up relationships with food, and always feeling inadequate.

Wow, that's quite condescending of you, pretending as if yoga exists on some higher level and gym isn't "humble and focused" enough. What field today doesn't prey on insecurity? I see so much misinformation propagating "fitness" magazines and DVDs. FYI, bodybuilding is a lifestyle too. I would elaborate, but seems like you already made up your mind in your little bubble.
--arti-- Goldie
--arti--
--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged

Wow, that's quite condescending of you, pretending as if yoga exists on some higher level and gym isn't "humble and focused" enough. What field today doesn't prey on insecurity? I see so much misinformation propagating "fitness" magazines and DVDs. FYI, bodybuilding is a lifestyle too. I would elaborate, but seems like you already made up your mind in your little bubble.

Nope, didn't say that, and never romanticized yoga. In fact, I said yoga is also commercialized and has problems of its own. The point of my posts was to clear the misinformation about yoga in this thread, especially the kind of "masculinist" bias that exists out there against yoga. I think you are being deliberately antagonistic and either not reading or not understanding half of what I said, because you have continued to just pit the two against each other which was never my point.

LovelyPlanet

Go to top