Page 4 of 10

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 7:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lonely0planet

Originally posted by --arti--

Also - I don't think the gym is full of hot or fit people. Far from it. I think it is filled with (mostly) insecure people who are measuring various parts of their body (turn-off). And as a woman, I'd say forget about going to the strength training section of the gym without getting random macho losers trying to give you their sweaty "free tips."
totally disagree.. @bold funny LOL
never happened to me... may be when someone looks lost ?

Sadly men feel entitled to approach women whether or not they look "lost." Gym or not, the fact is that men automatically feel superior to women, and "stronger," and somehow better versed in all things fitness. It's not just fitness, it's also cars. One middle aged guy once asked me if I would like him to parallel park my car. I am great at parallel parking, and it's just insulting and rude. It's not "helpful." I don't look lost, but I think women who have smaller frames or who are a bit more on the petite side are especially targetted by these losers. It happens all the time. So most gyms are just not comfortable or inviting spaces for women, generally. Women's gyms don't have all the equipment usually. I'm not saying yoga studios are great spaces. They're mostly full of white yuppies or granola hippies. But at least you don't have creepy "high testosterone" guys trying to pick up women. I figure most guys who practice yoga embrace a different notion of fitness/strength and they don't generally come across in that macho way.

@freethinker. Handstands require a lot of strength, which is why beginners can't do them. If it was just about balance, everyone could learn how to do it. You need to develop, over a long time, enough core and arm strength to be able to do it. Like I said, whether or not one opts for power yoga depends on the goals. Strength training doesn't mean you have to progressively keep building bigger muscles. It's one view of fitness. I think it's something that is seen as very "tough" and "masculine," but actually doesn't equate to strength.

Strength is also stamina and muscular endurance, which you develop in power yoga. You progressively learn to hold difficult postures for longer, or do more complex variations of postures. You engage all your muscles. You don't need to do one-hour plank for that. Throughout an hour, you will continuously engage almost all those muscles in various poses, except for when you pause. In power yoga, there are usually no pauses. With free weights or weight-training machines, you don't use most of your muscles. Because you use your whole body, power yoga requires that you use small muscles in your body. I often have soreness in muscles that I didn't even know I had. That's because those are the muscles I use the least in everyday life or in sports - like my obliques or small gluteal muscles. Hamstrings, gluteus maximus, triceps, biceps, and abs are easy to use and build. But there are a lot of other muscles too that can't really be targetted through weights.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetLeadNitrateKookiemonster

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Yoga or Gym? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged
As for weight loss, I have very mixed opinions on that. Weight loss isn't and shouldn't always be a fitness goal. Those with excess weight may want to lose some weight, and that's fine, but you don't need to have a totally lean body to be fit. I think the notion that thin=healthy is really problematic and not supported by medical data either. Most medical data show that level of physical activity and stress influence propensity to get disease, not just body weight or waist size.

You can lose weight through yoga, but that's not the objective. The objective is to inhabit your body differently. My biggest challenge is how to practice more humility and bodily acceptance, and that's one of the things that attracted me to yoga. Because I am less than avg height, was very thin for a long time (in addition to having asmall voice), I was directly and indirectly bullied. Bullying doesn't just mean when someone picks on you. It can be when people look at you and think you "need help" or you must not be very smart because of how you look or sound, etc. and I learned to retaliate by being as "tough" and as preemptively "aggressive" as possible to people, and that's when I started lifting weights to try to add more bulk to my frame, wearing heels regularly and so on. I just realized that wasn't working for me. I needed to stop thinking of my body as diminutive to really get over some of that stuff.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

_Angie_FreshDaisyKookiemonster

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged

@ FT: i must disagree a bit. as u urself said core strength, yoga helps in making core strength and  yes it also helps in strength gain. offcourse if u want pounding muscle u have to ldo weight, either in gym or in classical akhda, but yoga does help a lot with strength as well.  headstand etc needs amazing shoulder and bicep strength.  its like gymnasts, dancers. they are agile and flexible does not mean they lack physical strength.

@ aarti: Amen sister. I know the bane of a less than average height, allthough I was not never thin, far from it. but that short height, coupled with younger looking face does put you at some disadvantages. people usually have this huge misunderstanding about how petite women mean helpless. 
Appearances are highly misleading, and so are the misconceptions about health fitness and looks.

Also i missed that out, but those short, bulging weirdos r like part of any gym, who would  lovingly stare at muscles and try to hit on any girl in the 5km radius.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

--arti--Kookiemonster

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged
LOL
Originally posted by Prometeus

Originally posted by McNinja

Also - I don't think the gym is full of hot or fit people. Far from it. I think it is filled with (mostly) insecure people who are measuring various parts of their body (turn-off). And as a woman, I'd say forget about going to the strength training section of the gym without getting random macho losers trying to give you their sweaty "free tips."

True story...there is a shrimp of a guy at my gym, who is a regular and known jerk around the gym, usually pumping those 100+ pound weights. The guy is around 4 feet tall...yes, a midget, and I ran into him once while I was doing my usual "girly" weights as they say. He asked me if I wanted to pump his weight, pointing to the 80 pound dumbbell in his hands. I asked him if I needed to step on him or if he would leave me in peace.

So moral of story...some are helpful but most are pricks, looking to get their ego stroked. LOL LOL
^LOL

But some girls visit gym,just for timepass ... chill on the perfume + makeup... jst wanna say to them..it's not a nighclub. And that 5 minute walk on the treadmill is a warm-up, not a ramp walk... LOL
gender bias?
and You think men dont visit for timepass LOL

most men dont wear makeup but they can if they want to Smile .. and perfume?.. lets not go there

LeadNitrateVinzy

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged
@arti

I said in my post that it's more of a balance issue than strength, not that it doesn't require strength. You can have a strong guy, doesn't matter what kind of training he uses, who has the strength required for a headstand. But since he has never done that in his life, he will have difficulty balancing in the position. But as soon as he gets down the balancing part, he can do it.

Strength training by definition means training muscles against resistance which results in stronger and bigger muscle. More muscles will definitely give you more strength.

Stamina and endurance are the same thing, and it is different from strength. You can't say "Strength is also stamina and muscular endurance"

What you are now saying is what I was talking about. Progressive overload. The complex postures  put you in more difficult positions, which require more effort. The same thing is done in gym by increasing load. The difference is that yoga will have you learn complex poses which take time. IMO, you will gain strength quickly and easily in gym.

That's definitely not true. Compound movements are the way to go. Deadlifts, squats recruit many muscles. People who just isolation work aren't doing it right. Try side bends for obliques and squats for gluteus minimus.

@tanni

I didn't they say it doesn't help with strength gains. Bodyweight exercises will help you make strength gains. But they are limited, and gym is usually better. As I said, it depends on your goal. Gym's main goal is hypertrophy, if that isn't what one wants, they might try other things.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged

LOL
Originally posted by Prometeus

Originally posted by McNinja

True story...there is a shrimp of a guy at my gym, who is a regular and known jerk around the gym, usually pumping those 100+ pound weights. The guy is around 4 feet tall...yes, a midget, and I ran into him once while I was doing my usual "girly" weights as they say. He asked me if I wanted to pump his weight, pointing to the 80 pound dumbbell in his hands. I asked him if I needed to step on him or if he would leave me in peace.

So moral of story...some are helpful but most are pricks, looking to get their ego stroked. LOL LOL
^LOL

But some girls visit gym,just for timepass ... chill on the perfume + makeup... jst wanna say to them..it's not a nighclub. And that 5 minute walk on the treadmill is a warm-up, not a ramp walk... LOL
gender bias? --not realyLOL
and You think men dont visit for timepass LOL--  ofcos they do, bt still i didnt see any guys workout with makeup/perfumes or they dont waste time at the gym choosing the right song for their workout...LOL

most men dont wear makeup but they can if they want to Smile .. and perfume?.. lets not go there--LOL okie...Tongue

LeadNitrate

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged

FT, exactly, thats why i said i  disagree a bit.

For me I find a healthy dose of both is ideal, and try to maintain the balance.

@ prometeus: girls wearing makeup to gym is just girls being girls, not  always coz they go there for show. hell I have seen women burning in fever have eye makeup on at the doctors.

LovelyPlanetVinzy

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged
@Tanni

Mixing up routine once in a while is actually helpful when one plateaus. 

LeadNitrate

Post Reply New Post

Go to top