Debate Mansion

Yoga or Gym? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 10

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 22 February 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged

have nt seen a man getting any fitter with mere yoga(intense or non-intense).. moreover can you do intense yoga by yourself? doubt that..

.. probably works for some girls though for improving strength..but over a long period like i said before

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Yoga or Gym? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 22 February 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged
Obviously the results you get depend on what you put in. And of course, it is much more achievable if you do it under the supervision of an instructor or as part of a class, because power yoga is actually a style of yoga that not everyone can teach. It is different from Ashtanga yoga.

When I practice by myself, I can't do it for more than 30 minutes, but the discipline of a class makes me push myself to 75 minutes, though to be fair, only about 75% that class is actually intense. The rest of it is transitional or warm-up in the beginning/relaxation at the end, so your heartrate goes up and down, which actually boosts metabolism. You "open" or "stretch" certain muscles before going further with a more advanced pose, and your heartrate goes down during some of the stretching, and then back up when you go further.

Power yoga builds muscle regardless of whether you're a man or woman. Lifting your own body weight is much harder than lifting free weights, and balancing the weight of your own body using your arm strength takes a lot of strength and focus.

The difference is that it is not a "masculinist" kind of approach that is all about how big your muscles can become. You don't grunt or clench your teeth like the so-called tough dudes at the gym. Rather than brute force, you actually have to in, a very focused way, use your muscles and remain in focus even as sweat is streaming down your face and body. You can't towel off in between because the point is to surrender yourself to that moment of intensity. The objective isn't just to get big muscles, but it is more to tune your mind into your body. In the long run, all the physical feats you end up doing is less impressive than the mental focus you feel you can achieve. The physical part of it kind of prepares you for the mental part.

Sure, some people don't approach it like that. They just want the "power" part of power yoga. They leave 5 minutes before the end of the class because they don't want to stay for the relaxation/meditation at the end. But if you take the whole approach as it is meant to be, then it is a truly holistic form of fitness.

It cultivates a kind of bodily and mental practice in a way that gymming simply doesn't. The gym is okay when you are training for something very specific, like if you are an athlete. When you truly practice yoga, you start to value your body differently. You don't even feel like eating crappy food, for example. You don't count calories. You take a totally different approach to your health.

Anyway, I find the invoking of gender when it comes to fitness very interesting. The kind of strength it takes to do things that are not seen as "tough" - like yoga, or delivering babies - versus what's seen as "true" strength, like the gym guys who grunt and moan while lifting free weights before dropping them to the ground with a huge thud.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetKookiemonster

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 22 February 2013 at 8:15pm | IP Logged
Also - I don't think the gym is full of hot or fit people. Far from it. I think it is filled with (mostly) insecure people who are measuring various parts of their body (turn-off). And as a woman, I'd say forget about going to the strength training section of the gym without getting random macho losers trying to give you their sweaty "free tips."

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetMcNinjaKookiemonster

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

Also - I don't think the gym is full of hot or fit people. Far from it. I think it is filled with (mostly) insecure people who are measuring various parts of their body (turn-off). And as a woman, I'd say forget about going to the strength training section of the gym without getting random macho losers trying to give you their sweaty "free tips."
totally disagree.. @bold funny LOL
never happened to me... may be when someone looks lost ?

McNinjaKookiemonster

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lonely0planet

True story...there is a shrimp of a guy at my gym, who is a regular and known jerk around the gym, usually pumping those 100+ pound weights. The guy is around 4 feet tall...yes, a midget, and I ran into him once while I was doing my usual "girly" weights as they say. He asked me if I wanted to pump his weight, pointing to the 80 pound dumbbell in his hands. I asked him if I needed to step on him or if he would leave me in peace.

So moral of story...some are helpful but most are pricks, looking to get their ego stroked. LOL LOL

Edited by McNinja - 23 February 2013 at 12:36am

--arti--LovelyPlanetKookiemonster

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 1:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by McNinja

Originally posted by lonely0planet

True story...there is a shrimp of a guy at my gym, who is a regular and known jerk around the gym, usually pumping those 100+ pound weights. The guy is around 4 feet tall...yes, a midget, and I ran into him once while I was doing my usual "girly" weights as they say. He asked me if I wanted to pump his weight, pointing to the 80 pound dumbbell in his hands. I asked him if I needed to step on him or if he would leave me in peace.

So moral of story...some are helpful but most are pricks, looking to get their ego stroked. LOL LOL
^LOL

But some girls visit gym,just for timepass ... chill on the perfume + makeup... jst wanna say to them..it's not a nighclub. And that 5 minute walk on the treadmill is a warm-up, not a ramp walk... LOL

LovelyPlanetMcNinjaKookiemonster

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged
okay, so I have been doing yoga on and off for a long time, since I was 5 to be precise when my mom dragged me to the local yoga centre coz i was too lazy to exercise.
 yoga helps you in the following: a  well toned body, flexibility and all over fitness, increasing your core muscle strength.

I have been attracted towards gym since my late teens. And its not bad either.
yes excessive weight training to get those bulging muscles is not my thing. but gym can help you gather your muscle strength and loose your weight in a shorter time.

Yoga sometimes is strenous for me after a hard days work, gym is much more comforting with the quick run on treadmill and the small machines.

also advanced yoga, the ones which are really the baap of exercises, canot be started from day1. you need to build it up, and it takes longer time for your body  muscles to get used the muscle stretching.

there are some things i prefer to do in gym and some things yoga.  for example i hate running and all those cardio. I would rather do  10 suryanamaskara which utilizes approx 80% of your body muscles.
but  I also prefer the quicker way to get into shape in gym.

End of the day its a healthy mix of both that can help you to stay fit.
and both of it can bring certain level of peace to your mind

@ arti: somehow i never face such people giving me advice. maybe coz i never take my earplug off.LOL

--arti--Kookiemonster

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 6:14am | IP Logged
@arti

Nobody is saying yoga is worthless, but it isn't the best tool for gaining strength either. Headstands and handstands are more of a balance issue, not strength, not that strength isn't necessary. The thing is, it is a bodyweight exercise, so progressive overload isn't optimum. Agreed that you can increase the time of workout, but you won't be doing one hour planks, will you? Freeweights give the option of increasing weight, so that you can continue getting stronger and bigger. Isolation of muscles isn't possible too, the movements are compound exercises, limited by your body weight.

As I said before, depends on what your goal is. Yoga helps with flexibilty and core strength. Even for small strength gains, gym is better IMO. And if you want to get big mass, you have to go lift.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

FreshDaisy

Post Reply New Post

Go to top