Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Yoga or Gym?

.EatMyShorts. Senior Member

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

moomin4455boreddamsel

*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged
I absolutely love yoga! And I hate going to the gym! But really, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to lose weight and gain muscle mass, going to the gym is probably best. If you just want to tone, maintain your current weight and stay in shape, yoga is a good idea. I think yoga will help you lose weight as well, but it's a longer process. Ideally, any combination of the two is probably the best workout regime. I find that combination most productive.

Fitness is important. If nothing else, I find working out gives me the energy boost I need to get through the week. I am usually in a very bad mood when I stop working out. And working out helps me make better food choices as well. Just find what you like doing and do that. If you hate something, chances are you'll probably end up not doing it at all.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

Rehanism IF-Dazzler
Rehanism
Rehanism

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
Yoga is a long term investment. You got to practice it from an early age in regular routine to remain in shape and health. However if you are impatient or want quick results, it can have quite reverse effects. So play carefully..Also you can try fitness dancing, especially if you are a girl..

For me its Gym+Martial Arts...I never gave any serious thought to Yogabecause it doesn't show any result in short term and I am not patient enough to wait for years..

LeadNitrate

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged
P90X Yoga. Best of both worlds.

McNinja

-Aarya- Goldie
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged
Pilates,  and there are many online videos available (yoga or cardio) which are free at cost;  e.g. Youtube!  
-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged
Attened two three Yoga classes, its fun ...after I feel, they shd gave this year's Nobel Prize to the dude who invented Yoga PantsTongueWink

McNinja

--arti-- Goldie
--arti--
--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 18 February 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged
Hot power yoga is great. You get the effects of yoga (balance + flexibility, reduced stress, greater mental focus) but it is much more fast paced and includes advanced postures, so you get cardio and strengthening, and the "hot" part of it is supposed to be very detoxifying. Power flow or advanced vinyasa is widely available now, and most yoga studios offer some form of it.

I think the important thing is to find what works for you and your lifestyle. I hated playing sports in school, but once I found a circle of cool people (i.e. not stereotypical jocks) who play soccer/tennis, then it became fun and now I get withdrawal symptoms if I stop. The only caveat is that when you play sports regularly, you do end up getting injuries, but luckily I have not had any serious ones as of yet.

If you end up with a gym membership, and you find it too boring to actually go, you would just beat yourself up/feel guilty for wasting money, and fitness practices should result in you feel good, not bad about yourself.
*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 18 February 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

Hot power yoga is great. You get the effects of yoga (balance + flexibility, reduced stress, greater mental focus) but it is much more fast paced and includes advanced postures, so you get cardio and strengthening, and the "hot" part of it is supposed to be very detoxifying. Power flow or advanced vinyasa is widely available now, and most yoga studios offer some form of it.

I think the important thing is to find what works for you and your lifestyle. I hated playing sports in school, but once I found a circle of cool people (i.e. not stereotypical jocks) who play soccer/tennis, then it became fun and now I get withdrawal symptoms if I stop. The only caveat is that when you play sports regularly, you do end up getting injuries, but luckily I have not had any serious ones as of yet.

If you end up with a gym membership, and you find it too boring to actually go, you would just beat yourself up/feel guilty for wasting money, and fitness practices should result in you feel good, not bad about yourself.

Hot yoga is the best!! I love it! I stopped doing it a couple of months ago, and now I'm doing regular yoga and cardio dancing (Zumba, etc.), but I miss the feeling after a good hot yoga workout. Best feeling ever! I think everyone should give it a try at least once.

--arti--

Go to top