Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago

taran adarsh ?@taran_adarsh

#KaiPoChe UAE Thu $ 70,000. Some screens yet to report. Fantastic start for a film starring newcomers!

Divya Solgama ?@DIVYASOLGAMA

"This Kite will fly high, without getting cut." - #KaiPoChe movie review by 'Divya Solgama' on http://Gomolo.com  http://www.gomolo.com/kai-po-che-movie-review/44525/1953854 '

Edited by nikitagmc - 11 years ago
RBAA thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Che – Journey into India's Heart

By Lavina Melwani • Feb 21st, 2013 • Category: The Buzz
Rating: 5.0/5 (2 votes cast)

A scene from Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Chei

Digvijay Deshmukh, Sushant Singh Rajput and Amrita Puri in 'Kai Po Che'

Kai Po Che – India Unfurled…

India is like a gigantic Hall of Mirrors – so many reflections, some magnified, some distorted. Which is the true India? And who is the true Indian? In 'Kai Po Che', Abhishek Kapoor's stunning new film, you realize there are no easy answers as you step into the complex, complicated terrain that is India.

'Kai Po Che', based on Chetan Bhagat's best-selling novel 'The Three Mistakes of My Life', takes you into the innards of the bustling city of Ahmedabad and introduces you to real people in situations taken right out of real life, such as the 2001 earthquake and the Godhra killings. You are relentlessly drawn into the ugly, unpredictable vortex of current events, of unforgiving real life as it happens.

Abhishek Kapoor deftly gets you involved by weaving the lives of  three ordinary people, close friends Ishaan, Omi and Govind – into these events. Each has modest dreams of achieving happiness. They are starting a sports business against great odds and you find yourself rooting for them and wanting them to succeed.  But what could have been a light-hearted story about friendship escalates into something much more deeper and darker.

Sushant Singh Rajput, Rajkumar Yadav, and Amit Sadh inhabit the characters of Ishaan, Govind and Omi perfectly. No big star names here and that's actually an advantage. (No big leading ladies either – Amrita Puri as Vidya, Ishaan's sister, is the only female presence, and she's good.) These actors are relatively unknown faces and so bring little celebrity baggage with them; they are regular guys you might encounter on the streets – each is three-dimensional and a person in his own right. What is wonderful is the chemistry among the three men – you feel they've known each other forever.

The English name of the film is 'Brothers…for Life' and all three, especially Sushant Singh Rajput, have a palpable screen presence which keeps you hooked.  'Kai Po Che's  strong script – usually never a strong point in Indian cinema – is what gives the film its internal architecture and strength. The script was written  by Bhagat, along with Pubali Chaudhuri, Supratik Sen, and Abhishek Kapoor, and directed by the latter with a sure hand.

Everything is honest and from the heart in 'Kai Po Che', from the locations to Amit Trivedi's  music which is embedded in the culture and tempo of  Gujarat. No song just for the sake of a song scenario and certainly no item numbers. As the film ricochets to its  powerful climax, you are fully invested in its outcome and the lives of the three friends. And later you mull about deeper things such as the nature of  friendship and family and values – and think some more about where India is headed. It is a fully satisfying movie which stays with you long after it's over. Yes, India is shining but it's tarnished too, and you get to see it, warts and all.

Abhishek Kapoor on the sets of 'Kai Po Che'

Abhishek Kapoor on the sets of 'Kai Po Che'

Abhishek Kapoor  talks with Lavina Melwani about Cinema & Life

Abhishek Kapoor was in New York for two days on his way to the Berlin Film Festival, and sat down for a chat with me at the Ritz Carlton Hotel.  Having worked crazy schedules to finish the film and send it out into the world, he was sleep-deprived and plain exhausted but clearly excited about finally completing something which has been a passion and occupied his life for four years.

Ever since Kapoor read Chetan Bhagat's book, "The Three Mistakes of My life", he knew he wanted to make a film of it.  He's been working on the script for two and a half years, and the making of the film took a year. But that's alright with him because he loves the project.

Cinema has pretty much occupied his world, growing up in a film family as he did. His uncle is the popular superstar of yesteryear, Jeetendra, and his cousins are Ekta Kapoor and Tusshar Kapoor. He's also related to Aditya Chopra. Although his own father was not in the film business, Abhishek did go for several shoots as a kid and recalls watching Rishi Kapoor and Tina Munim shoot outdoors for Subash Ghai's 'Karz'.

He certainly grew up on a steady diet of Hollywood and Bollywood: films  ranging from  'Guns of Navarone' and 'McKenna's Gold' to Hindi films like 'Mother India', 'Amar Akbar Anthony',  'Ram Teri Ganga Maili, 'Bobby', 'Deewar', and 'Sholay'.

Abhishek Kapoor went on to win the prestigious National Award for 'Rock On!' so it's a surprise to learn that he had a really tough time breaking into the film industry, first as an actor and then as a filmmaker.

" Either you were mainstream Bollywood or you were nothing"

" Either you were mainstream Bollywood or you were nothing," he recalls of the tough, early grind of his career as an actor.  " I don't think it was a very good time for Indian film business – in  the late 80's and 90's really crappy movies were being made. I made my foray into acting at that time and I didn't see any success. Maybe I wasn't good enough or maybe the films were not good enough. I didn't enjoy the process at all and just took a backseat. I felt so uncomfortable, so not-in-control of the way my career was going –  it was very scary."

Gradually he got into writing and wrote a film 'Aryan'. It took him 4-5 years to make it; there were money woes and the film got stuck and he chased it. It didn't do well at the  box-office but it was well-received by critics and Kapoor finally discovered what his true calling was.

Then he made "Rock On!" and the rest is history.  With a National Film Award under his belt, the backing of Disney UTV as producers and distributors of 'Kai Po Che', and the support of his parents and girlfriend Pragya, life seems pretty 'Kai Po che!' (which means a victorious 'I have cut it!' in Gujarati kite-flying lingo.)

So having seen both ups and downs, what are his thoughts on success and failure?

"I think failure is very important because it can teach you something. Success, I think, is just mere garnish, it will just get you more money and that's great because it makes your life more comfortable but it doesn't teach you anything," he says.

He shares some of the truths his ups and downs have taught him: " I realize that nothing is more important than enjoying your work. If I'm not going to enjoy making my movies, I might as well not do it. I love this movie and I put my heart into it. I want people to see it. If it was a movie I was not proud of, then every step of the way would be painful. So it's important to love what you do  – and that's something I really believe."

Kai Po Che is set in Gujarat

Real life and reel life mix in 'Kai Po che'

In the Director's Chair:  8 Questions for Abhishek Kapoor

1. Does 'Rock On!' have anything in common with 'Kai Po Che'?

The only common factor is that both are about friendship: 'Rock On!' was more urban, it's with rock music as a backdrop, it's got a different style to it –  characters, people in cities are more responsive, they're a little bit more cerebral. But this is about middle India, middle-class India, where people are more reactive. There's so much familiarity because people live in such small homes and so close to each other, you can hear people whispering in their homes.  It's like one big family – everyone knows about everything. Just the way they react to each other, the rawness of the space –  it's diametrically opposite."

2. 'Kai Po Che' has  been called  a movie about male bonding but it seems so much deeper than that – it's about people's lives, their values and how random acts can change everything.

When I read the book what really got me was the fact that it was about real events, the earthquake, the riots and the India-Australia cricket test match.  I saw it as a great opportunity to make a real Indian film because of the fact that it was about real events and make the rest of the film also as real as the events. As a filmmaker I saw great potential.

"Making Movies is About Unlearning…"

3. This was your first visit to Gujarat – how did you manage to capture the many nuances, the soul of the city?

I had never been to Gujarat before. Making movies is more about unlearning – clearing your slate, starting afresh and asking questions all over again, without having any preconceived answers as if you know it all. You have to go and immerse yourself in the geography, culture and value system of the people and embrace it – and only then I think can you make a movie about a place.

We did not shoot the film on any set – we looked everywhere – and finally got these locations because if you get the locations right, then half the battle is won.  The location is part of the character – it's not just there for show. To find the correct temple was a struggle.  In Gujarat especially  temples are everywhere – temples are the  centrifugal force of the community – so it had to be right.

Amit Sadh and Digvijay Deshmukh in Kai Po Che

Amit Sadh and Digvijay Deshmukh in Kai Po Che

"There is a Hero in Everyone, I do believe That" – Abhishek Kapoor

4. This movie has no big star names yet there is a star quality to these actors.  

I think it's in the characters. You show different dimensions to these characters but I  believe that there is a hero  in everyone. I do believe that – when the moment arises I'm sure the hero will also arise. Some people just don't have the moment, but there is something sitting dormant in everyone.

These actors are fabulous actors – they haven't had much exposure in films except for Raju who's done a few films but the other two have not been seen much on this platform.  They are very seasoned, very professional and very dedicated actors.

There may be so many like them out there but they aren't getting an opportunity because people are so unsure of themselves that they just keep chasing stars to make proposals. I think it's important  for people to believe in themselves, in their script and to have a producer who can back you up. Only then can you give an opportunity to actors like these.

5. That is really such a shame. We are losing out by just staying with 7- 8 big star names.

It's regressive. We make excuses by saying the  audience only wants this. I don't think the audiences want that. Why would the audience want to eat the same thing again and again – nobody would want that – but we force it down their throats! Indian audiences love their films – there's no other entertainment in our country, it's the cheapest form of entertainment. And they love their stars.

So somewhere we exploit that faith and love the audience gives us. It's important to give them back, give them something new,  even at the risk of failing. You don't have to spend 50 crores. When these movies are making 50-60 or 100 crores – half the money goes to the stars. Writers are given a minuscule sum of money, they are not given any importance. It's important to invest in talent, not just in your stars.

In Kai Po Che real events are woven into the narrative

Kai Po Che mirrors real events

"Acting, Locations, Music – It all had to come from the script"

6. In many films the music feels tacked on, and there has to be a mandatory item number. In 'Kai Po Che' the music is natural, almost part of the skin.

It was important to keep everything organic from the script. Whether it was acting, characters, locations or the music,  it all had to come from the script. The script demanded that the score be very authentic Indian, soulful and raw because that's how the film is, that's how these characters are, that's how the geography of this place is. So we didn't want to step out of the realm of that. It's a big story – we need the narrative to go on – you can't stop the narrative with a song coming in. It just makes the story go further.

7.What do you hope viewers will take away from 'Kai Po Che'?

I made this film to showcase my country as I see it, as I've understood it while I made it.  I want people to come and take a piece of India with them – I'm talking of a global audience. We are showcasing at the Berlin Film Festival and premiering it there – I'm hoping the world over people will understand my country a little bit more, understand the value system of this country a little bit more.

8.The film  touches poignantly on the Hindu-Muslim divide, on ordinary people living together in neighborhoods and yet not connecting.

Shit happens, you know,  but what is important is to let it go and to move ahead. Whatever happened to these boys something good came out of it but it will only come about  if you let it go. If you keep picking on what happened 10 years ago and taking political mileage out of that, you're going to ruin the future of this country.  You have to shut the book and forgive and move on. Forgive the other person and forgive yourself. There are two people to a fight; both have to let go of things, and shut the book.

Related Articles

Anurag Kashyap, Godfather of Wasseypur
Matru Ki Bijli Ka Mandola-Cinematic Feast

Rating: 5.0/5 (2 votes cast)

credit - Ashu
RBAA thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Review: Kai Po Che is a very fine film

Last updated on: February 22, 2013 08:41 IST

A scene from Kai Po CheKai Po Che works because of its earnest and very talented cast, writes Aseem Chhabra. 

We can blame Farhan Akhtar [ Images ] for it. Or maybe even thank him for starting the trend of male bonding in Hindi films with Dil Chahta Hai [ Images ], where each actor had practically equal time, although there was one big star, Aamir Khan [ Images ], among the three.

The idea was to look at male friendships in more or less real terms, have the characters speak, act, and live like normal people do, and to de-Bollywoodise a Bollywood film.

That trend continued in Farhan's home production Rock On!! (directed by Abhishek Kapoor), and to some extent in his sister Zoya's first feature, Luck By Chance [ Images ], and then again in her second film, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara.

Meanwhile, Chetan Bhagat [ Images ] -- that self-appointed, but hugely successful, observer of the lives and aspirations of middle class India [ Images ]n youth -- was writing his own tales of male bonding in modern India. His novel Five Point Someone became the immensely popular 3 Idiots, giving additional meaning to friendship among men. 

And now we have one more case of the Indian male buddy movie inspired by another novel by Bhagat, The 3 Mistakes of My Life

The author was so impressed by Kapoor's Rock On!! that he sent the filmmaker a copy of his book. Now a few years later, we have Kai Po Che, perhaps the first film in the genre, not to be entangled in the Bollywood star system.

Instead, the film uses keen and talented raw actors, who will not be judged by their star status as one would do with a Hritikh Roshan or Aamir Khan. 

The result is that Kai Po Che is a very fine film, refreshing in its approach, as it is set in Ahmedabad [ Images ] and not among the elite of Mumbai [ Images ].  The film's stars Sushant Singh Rajput, Amit Sadh and Raj Kumar Yadav (he has had the most big screen exposure among the three in films such as Talaash, Shahid, Chittagong, LSD and Gangs of Wasseypur) appear to be very comfortable in the middle class settings.

By their own admission, Kapoor and Bhagat (the two co-wrote the script along with Pubali Chaudhuri and Supratik Sen) cut the novel to a minimum level, leaving out chunks of the book's narrative while focusing on the friendship of the three protagonists, and how their relationships are tested during the devastating earthquake in Gujarat in 2001, followed by the communal riots in 2002. 

Bhagat has stated that Kapoor's film is much better than his book, an improvement over what he wrote. I have not read the book, but I have no reason to doubt him.

In the world that Kapoor creates we have three young men, who start with the goal of opening a cricket shop outside a temple, and also an academy for young teens. But their hopes and aspirations take different shapes.

Govind (Yadav), the quieter, and most balanced of the three, has the head for business and the store is his primary focus; Omi (Sadh), in seeking financial support for the shop, gets drawn into a Hindu political party led by his uncle; and Ishaan (Rajput), the most charismatic and impulsive, finds his faith in the sport of cricket and especially in a young Muslim prodigy, who he accidentally discovers. 

Their commitments will pull them in different directions. But suffice is to say that there is a reason why Kai Po Che's English title is Brothers For Life.

A former actor, who struggled to find a footing in Bollywood, Abhishek Kapoor is in strong command in this small film (it is definitely smaller in its feel as compared to Rock On).  He ably captures the details of connections between the three protagonists, some thrilling cricket moments, earthquakes scenes and the aftermath, and one very intense and believable moment of communal violence.

Unlike some loud, over-the-top scenes of Gujarat violence in Parzania, Kai Po Che projects the complex scenario in a believable and gripping manner. It is very difficult to stay real while handling violence of this nature. Mani Ratnam set the bar towards the second half of Bombay, but in a smaller way, Kapoor also succeeds in bringing the frightening reality of the Gujarat riots. 

If Kapoor fails to a small extent, it has to be in his attempts to minimise the political tone of the film. And so, he deliberately gives the Hindu party a red flag and the Muslim group some form of a green one.

In trying to camouflage the political organisations, while still referring to real events -- the Godhra train killings, for instance -- Kai Po Che somewhat confuses the situation. But then, as the past has shown, bringing up complex and ugly issues such as religious violence always riles up one group or another in India. Hopefully, that will not happen with Kai Po Che

The film is beautifully shot and brightly lit by Anay Goswami (The Japanese Wife and No One Killed Jessica). Amit Trivedi's compositions set to the lyrics of Swanand Kirkire produce some memorable songs, especially Manja.

Ultimately, Kai Po Che works because of its earnest and very talented cast -- Yadav, Sadh and especially Rajput, who gives a new meaning to the expression, 'the idealism of the youth.'

Amrita Puri is very likable as Vidya, Ishaan's sister and Govind's love interest.  Together, these actors have created a special film.

credit - Ashu
AnVishtian thumbnail
Just watched the movie, first day first show and lemme tell you, it is definitely MUST watch movie!

The story is good but like all reviewers, this movie is carried due to the superbly talented actors and the vision of the director and many others behind the scenes.

Its a beautiful movie on friendship, ambition, hard work and human emotions.
The movie strikes the correct chord in the viewers and leaves you a bit teary eyed in certain parts. You see the both good and dark sides to each character and even though they have bad sides, you can't help but love them.
The actors wonderfully express the emotions and thoughts of the characters.
The director has managed to tell the story in simple and beautiful manner, you need many dialogues to understand how the characters are feeling or what they are thinking, its so very clear in their expressions and mannerisms.

Though the climax is very sad and you wish it was different but I think the second half of the movie was the best part where the actors truly showcased their acting skills.

Its one of those movies made just to entertain with sudden dance sequences or fight scenes but its one of those movies made to tell a story and to connect with the audience.

Well its definitely,
**** 4 stars from my side!

Watch it if you want a movie with beautiful and heart-touching storyline and wonderful acting! :)
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Spellbinding, Enthralling, Amazing and So On...

(Somak Basu wrote on 22 Feb 2013)

There were times when our master storyteller Jeetendra's nephew Abhishek Kapoor was keen to make a dynamic debut as a hero in Bollywood. Sadly that potential got beaten up badly. But what really worked wonders was rise of a dynamic director and storyteller Abhishek Kapoor through his luminous work "ROCK ON!". It was no less than a masterpiece and also one of the best movies based on friendship in ages. 'KAI PO CHE' is also another friendship movie where behind the story and script is none other than Chetan Bhagat, one of the most exceptional young writers in ages. 

Though 'Hello', adapted from Bhagat's 'One Night @ The Call Center' didn't cast any magic on box-office, following one '3 Idiots', adapted from his 'Five point Someone' is the highest grossing movie on box-office till date and most favorite to numerous people. Which shows well-handled direction can work more than wonders if a superb script is given. And, Chetan Bhagat novels are so distinguished that an imposing script can be easily extracted from them. Though Hirani in 3 Idiots added more humor and his own creativity, Abhishek Kapoor follows the theme entirely of Bhagat's 'The 3 Mistakes Of My Life' and illustrates beautifully on screen as per demands of the script.

Though 'The 3 Mistakes Of My Life' is the most diverse story inked on novel among other works by Bhagat, Abhishek Kapoor skillfully adds many stereotypical dimensions in the film which makes it even more beautiful than the novel itself. 

Friendship is such a wonderful genre that if you can present it beautifully that one can't stop praising it. DIL CHAHTA HAI, RANG DE BASANTI, ROCK ON! to ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA have been remarkable jouneys so far. KAI PO CHE ushers itself in this wing. 

But KAI PO CHE doesn't hold its boundary only around FRIENDSHIP. It's a tale of unconditional friendship, endless love among themselves as if they hold under some brotherhood, it elucidates politics and portraits the illimitable passion for sports. But the movie depicts an unforgettable tale based on three real-life events that changed the main three protagonist's lives forever - a conducive cricket match between India & Australia, Gujarat Earthquake and Godhra Massacre and Riots based on that. I'm just amazed at how a marvelous story is woven under these three real-life events and based on the story, the screenplay is so well handled and composed by Pubali Chaudhuri, Supratik Sen, Abhishek Kapoor & Chetan Bhagat himself.

Kai Po Che is the story of three friends Govind (Rajkumar Yadav), Omi (Amit Sadh) & Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput). Govind aspires to become a big businessman one day, so he along with his two friends, encouraging their passion, opens a cricket goods and training shop. Everything was going fine till the events that transpire against the backdrop of all that occurred in the city during that time change the lives of each of the friends in very different ways. 

Director Abhishek Kapoor yet again proves that he is a pedagogue storyteller. His previous work ROCK ON! and KAI PO CHE may be harmonious is some shades but KAI PO CHE is much more emotional, has too many layers and strikes a chord among the middle class youngsters out there which is very hard to commit to. KAI PO CHE is not only just a simple story of three friends, it's a perfect depiction of the role of society on the lives of the people living in outskirts. Plus, Abhishek Kapoor's brilliant storytelling completes it.

Amit Trivedi's short and soulful music adds special charm. "MANZA" and "MEETHI BOLIYAAN" are delightful to listen to even the film could have easily worked without any song. But the songs gleam the spirit of the movie in a very melodious way. Anay Goswami's cinematography is first-rate. 

The three focal portions of the movie are exquisitely carried away by the three youngsters. It's amazing that Abhishek took a risk by choosing newcomers on such a introvert script but his clarity of vision helped him make a superb decision by choosing them.

Sushant Singh Rajput's amazing potential, timing, acting skills and screen presence astonishes me completely. He already has YRF and Raju Hirani project in his pockets and no wonder why. Here rises an upcoming hugely successful star, that can be clearly seen. Amit Sadh enacts his part perfect. He can now come on focus of many talent seekers. Rajkumar Yadav enacts deliberately just like he did in his previous works. His role in every movie has different shades but this talented actor carries out skillfully everytime.

Rest of the cast do their jobs perfectly. Amrita Puri, the lone leading lady character in the movie aloof carries out her role amazingly. Manav Kaul & Asif Basra are excellent. Digvijay Deshmukh aka Ali is magnificent. Wish to see him in future more frequently.

There can be no end of praising KAI PO CHE. Throughout this whole review, I failed to point out a single blemish in this fine piece of work. Every shot, every character, every moment in this movie is so flawless that one can't help being amazed at times. Films like KAI PO CHE are as hard to make as hard not be flabbergasted at. It's an 
incandescent saga of friendship that transcends the boundaries of penchant. 

Best Movie Of This Year So far. Strictly Recommended.
Edited by lunza - 11 years ago
lunza thumbnail

'Kai Po Che' review: The magic of the film lies in its details!

Comments 0

'Kai Po Che' review: The magic of the film lies in its details!Resham Sengar

'Kai Po Che', Abhishek Kapoor's screen adaptation of popular author Chetan Bhagat's third novel 'The Three Mistakes of Life' (2008), till now had all the said novelist's fans, the critics and the film buffs in waiting. The film's release today has put an end to the wait, albeit on a sweet note.

'Kai Po Che' in the Gujarati lingo is used as an expression of victory during kite flying. Hence, the film explores the theme of holding on to one's dreams despite the odds faced in life and also celebrates friendship. For those who have not read the book, the story is about three friends namely Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput), Omkar (Amit Sadh) and Govind (Raj Kumar Yadav) who are thick friends based in the early 2000 Ahmedabad (Gujarat). Ishan is a care-free, nave, cricket-loving young man but despised by his father for sitting idle at home all workless. His free-spirited demeanour is characterised by his clothing - Capri pants worn with a simple tee, flip-flops and disheveled hair. His stark opposite is Govind, who is more practical and someone who would always think ten times before making a leap. Omi, on the other hand, is introduced as a person for whom Ishaan's is the final word. As the story moves on, Omi's character goes through a sea change only to come to terms with his real self at the end. 

Taking monetary support from Omi's maternal uncle, the three friends open a sports academy cum sports goods shop to earn their living. When Ishaan meets a 12-year-old boy named Ali Hashmi and sees an immense untapped cricket potential in him, he takes the promising young sportsman under his wings. Thus, Ishaan gets the purpose of his life. He coaches the boy with utmost determination and an unrelenting faith. Sadly, things get sour between the friends when first, the 2001 Gujarat earthquake and then the 2002 post-Godhra riots leave a deep scar on their friendship with Ishaan taking a stand in support of Ali and his community, while Omi seething with anger over the death of his parents in the riots.

Of all the cast, with due respect to every actor in the film including the leads, Sushant Singh Rajput is a charmer in the film. This is his debut Hindi film but one thing is for sure that this man would be going places given the fact that he seems to be nothing less than a born actor. It was a good decision on his part to make a move from television to films because TV soaps anyway give very less scope to perform to the male actors. But this move to films on Sushant's part would not have been worthwhile had he not landed with 'Kai Po Che' in his kitty. So, thanks to Abhishek Kapoor for zeroing in on Sushant and giving Bollywood a much needed breath of fresh air and good talent!

Amit Sadh and Raj Kumar Yadav have done their respective parts well. They appear believable, real and someone who the young male audience could relate to. Manav Kaul as Bittu Mama (Omi's maternal uncle) has put in efforts to give strength to his character of political figure with shades of grey. And even Amrita Puri as Vidya (Ishaan's sister) has done her job by balancing her part.

Keeping in tune with the Gujarati culture, Amit Trivedi - now also known as Bollywood's one of the most preferred music directors - has created great music for the film. The numbers have been smartly put in the film without them deterring the pace of the movie. The shoot locations are well-chosen and there has not been a single stone left unturned to capture even the nitty-gritty of the book for the film's screenplay. That is where the real beauty of 'Kai Po Che' lies – in the details! 

Post the success of 'Rock On', Abhishek Kapoor has reiterated the fact that he can make good films. And on our part, we can't wait to see Gattu (as he is fondly called) come up with his next celluloid marvel!

Rating: 4/5 stars!
Rating: 

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/bollywood/kai-po-che-review-the-magic-of-the-film-lies-in-its-details_128519.htm
lunza thumbnail

MAYANK SHEKHAR'S REVIEW: KAI PO CHE

Missing this film might be a mistake

Kai Po Che

Director: Abhishek Kapoor

Actors: Raj Kumar Yadav, Sushant Singh Rajput, Amit Sadh

By now there is a template scene for a film about a group of close boyfriends who go through life together. There is music in the background. The gang of buddies are at a secluded place far away from town. Some amount of booze gets them slightly uninhibited. They take their shirts off, bare their muscled torso and preferably jump into a community lake, instead of a private swimming pool.

We see a related sequence in this film. It could be inspired from the fabulous Rang De Basanti (2006) whose producers (UTV) are the same as the ones here. There was a similar shot in Rock On (2008), whose director (Abhishek Kapoor) has directed this movie as well. The band of boys in this film though belongs to a much smaller city (Ahmedababd) than those in the other two movies (New Delhi and Mumbai). Their aspirations can't be very different. They usually aren't.

The three heroes here are relatively unknown actors. None of them at any rate is an established star. This takes away from the equation, which character comes away looking the best, who is the film centred on, whose role has greater length, or who finally gets the girl. This allows the actors to play for the film. Surely it must have given the filmmakers enough elbow room to effective tell their story as well.

Of the three buddies, one (Sushant Singh Rajput, smartly cast), a failed cricketer, is an impulsive sort of young bloke, who is short-tempered, slightly socially awkward, but as locals usually say of such people, he is "good at heart", "yaaro ka yaar" (a true friend). The other one (Raj Kumar Yadav, first-rate performer) is what you could describe as the archetype, mercantile Gujarati: focussed, industrious, good with money and arithmetic. The third friend (Amit Sadh), son of a Hindu priest, hardly has a personality of his own. Such a character is quite common in groups like these. He is only happy to tag along. It's easy to channelise his energies towards what's sold to him as a thing to do. At this point, the three are busy as young entrepreneurs, trying to give shape to a rented complex that has a cricket coaching academy, a sports equipment shop, and a Maths tuition centre.

These guys grew up together in a lower middle class neighbourhood in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. For a bunch in their early 20s, it is a bit worrying how devoid they are of normal relationships with the opposite sex. Maybe this reflects the general scene among the young in middle India, it's hard to say. One of the boys does fall in love, though with his best friend's sister. He finally makes love to his girl after a Dandiya night with a lovely Sunita Rao number 'Paree Hoon Main' playing in the background. The popularity of that song best gives away the year the film is set in.

It's the turn of the millennium that brought the worst tragedies to a prosperous state of Gujarat. First there was the terrible earthquake of 2001. Then came a man-made disaster that perhaps had a greater impact in the politics of that state: the arguably government sponsored Hindu-Muslim riots of 2002, where thousands of Muslims were targeted for revenge when none were directly responsible for torching of a train full of Hindus in Godhra. We see both the Godhra incident and the Gujarat riots.

Behind the newspaper statistics we see the story of three young men whose lives change forever. Strictly speaking this is not a political film. It's still a picture that's likely to resonate more than pamphlets usually do. "Kai Po Che" literally means "I got your kite". I'm told this is what Gujarati kids shout when they cut off a rival's kite in a flying contest.

If anything the kites we see in this film, aiming to independently fly high, are those that get cut for no reason at all, or for three reasons, given that the movie is based on Chetan Bhagat's novel Three Mistakes Of My Life. To give due credit to the source, it's remarkably clever how the three mistakes in the movie broadly concern the three obsessions that define India, in that order: religion; virtuous women preserved for arranged marriages; and cricket.

Over the past few years, Bhagat has emerged as the most widely read writer in English fiction. Most other writers who hate him or don't consider him worthy enough (and surely there are many) are possibly envious of his rock-star literary fame. There's nothing personal. They certainly haven't read his books. Frankly, neither have I. Still it's easy to tell, there must be a touch of truth in those novels that's enchanted millions of young Indians to take up reading in the first place.

This is the third filmic adaptation of Bhagat's novel. The first one, Hello (based on One Night At A Call Centre) was an unbearable disaster. 3 Idiots (inspired by Five Points Someone) was the most commercially successful Indian blockbuster ever. Kai Po Che, in comparison to Rajkumar's Hirani's masterpiece, isn't a comedy, it is more real, but is certainly entertaining, engaging.  As an audience, it might be a mistake to miss this film. So yeah, don't make that mistake.

http://thew14.com/2013/02/22/mayank-shekhars-review-kai-po-che-2/

Edited by lunza - 11 years ago
lunza thumbnail

Kai Po Che Review

February 22nd, 2013 by Mohar Basu

Kai Po Che Movie Poster

Rating: 4/5 Stars (Four-stars)

Star cast: Sushant Singh RajputRaj Kumar YadavAmit SadhAmrita Puri

What's Good: The magical Bromance well fitted in an enigmatic story, enacted to delightful perfection.

What's Bad: Well, some films touch so deep that they appear pristinely flawless.

Loo break: Don't even consider taking one.

Watch or Not?: Kai Po Che culminates into a celebration of good cinema. Watch it for Abhishek Kapoor's engaging narrative and the power packed performances of the actors.

User Rating:

66 Votes

Adding a fresh perspective to Chetan Bhagat's bestselling novel 'The 3 Mistakes of my Life', Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Che is more than a mere retelling of a story already established brilliant.

Set in Ahmedabad, the story narrates the obsessive fixation of Indians with Cricket, Politics and Religion –all of which cross paths quite occasionally in this country! The main protagonists Govind, Ishaan and Omi have been friends forever. While Govind is the geek who is in love with Ish's sister Vidya, he is also a fiercely ambitious and selfish businessman. Ish is the valiant crusader struggling to tailor his desires of playing cricket and fit into a regular mundane life battling failure. Omi, religiously inclined by proxy, entangles himself in a web of right wing and saffron colored politics.

The boys team up to set a small business with more than a little help from Omi's Bittoo Mama. Ishaan, a cricketing God in his school days begins to train young cricketers. Their little smooth world falls prey to the cruel wishes of nature and religious politics. The inseparable friends must stand strongly by each other, but each of them is wronged at their individual levels. Is their friendship frail enough to wither away or do they pull through stronger passing the immensely rigid tests of their friendship? The film attempts to deliver a strong message of pain, forgiveness and reconciliation.

Amit Sadh, Sushant Singh Rajput and Raj Kumar Yadav (Kai Po Che Movie Stills)

Kai Po Che Review: Script Analysis

There is a hardly a soul in the audience who is not well acquainted with the script of the film. It is only Kapoor's witted treatment of Bhagat's novel that creates Kai Po Che. The story which begins as a fun filled, quirky tale of brotherly romance transitions into a hitting saga of social commentary with utmost brilliance.Kai Po Che is a flawless film which renders to its original story a newer vision. The film calls to evoke the nascent emotions of the quintessential Indian Middle Class. With most stories shifting towards urban dilemmas, this one is beautiful for its simplicity sticking regionally to a rather native India. The friendship of the three young friends is believable; their story is filled with innocent and contagious mirth. The film sensitively puts together the gruesome tales of Godhra Riots and the Gujrat Earthquake with a mystic touch of humanity. The film's story religiously bows down to Bhagat's novel only adding an additional flashy zest of Kapoor's style of narration. It is a plot that visibly grows in its two hours of running time bringing home the harsher realities of life that presses every human being. The themes of religion, politics are cricket enmesh well at the crossroads, yet remaining watertight in its demarcated boundaries. Despite a multitude of complexities, the script itself stands strong to support the characters, which becomes the film's stronghold.

Kai Po Che Review: Star Performances

It is hard to pick up a favorite among them. Personally, I admired Sushant Singh Rajput. He delivers one of Bollywood's most powerful debut performances. Playing a character as complex as Ishaan, Sushant makes it look simple. He conveys the notion that he has been living inside the skin of his character for a while now. Laced with tremendous potential, it isn't hard to predict that this man will go far in Bollywood.

Raj Kumar Yadav, yet again proves his worth. Govind symbolizes the no-nonsense, no-emotional businessman and Yadav plays his role with sincere conviction. With minimal words, this man conveys larger emotions of pain and anger creating an omnipresent space for his character.

Amit Sadh who largely underplays his role, keeping in sync with the essence of his blunt character Omi delivers an awe striking performance in the climax where he breaks down. He strongly pulls through the revenge hungry cannibal rage and his loyalty towards his friends brilliantly.

Amrita Puri is confident and adequate as Vidya. She exhibits childish humor and adolescent desires fabulously. The good thing about her role is that she is independent of the bromance track.

Manav Kaul as Bittoo Mama stands out shrewdly.

Kai Po Che Review: Direction, Music & Technical Aspects

Abhishek Kapoor is a man who truly understands film making. I give credit to him to reinvigorate freshness into a well read story and make a film on it which still somehow manages to pleasantly surprise you at every scene. Positively deviant, this man is journeying to join the Crme de le crme league of Bollywood directors. He manages to consistently maintain the film's realism without going melodramatically overboard (given the story). The film's cinematography is spotlessly perfect, nurturing every nuance in the fine detail, from the locales to the expressions, it is fantastically done. The vibrant use of color adds beauty to the most mundane frames. The screenplay is magical with Bhagat's Midas touch on it. Amit Trivedi's music is soothing and doesn't intervene with the film's flow. Manja is one gorgeous song! The background score rather enhances the depth of the film. Enveloping with friendship, one of most horrific and tragic tales of communal disturbances – the film is justifiably brilliant for being non judgmental and siding unbiased-ly with the victimized.

Kai Po Che Review: The Last Word

Kai Po Che is a film with a strongly weaved story brimming with realism and excellence. Here's finally a film that is meant to attain cult status and not blur out in the plethora of mediocrity. Kudos to this spectacular film!

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/reviews/2013/kai-po-che-movie-review-103807.html

theprince thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
very good review hope the film will do well at the BO
DulceTentacion. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Ah awesome reviews! Can't wait to watch it! 🥳