Asad's Guilt and Zoya's Trauma - Words Unsaid

Posted: 11 years ago
Well, well, well, Gul Khan wishes to really hold on to the redemption track! That's a big surprise I must say...was this pre-planned or were all these emails I sent to the CV and the posts here actually taken into consideration? 

A redeeming quality of a person is one who starts to recognize that their actions were wrong. Now, for some it would have been better had Asad realized this before he knew Zoya was innocent, but the good part is that it appears that Asad's behavior is bothering his conscience.  Watching Zoya flinch as he raises his hand reminds a person that once you harm someone, sometimes it takes a long time to repair the damage and a simple sorry is never enough. Poor decision making and actions taken in anger can never be resolved  overnight and that is why when we do things to hurt others for whatever reason, we have to bear the consequence of the damage we do no matter how justified our actions might appear to ourselves at the time. Twice this week we have seen Asad's remorse for his actions and it should be shown if Asad is a man of integrity from the claims he made in the earlier part of the show. If the CVs want to redeem his character, it is vital that he is seen doing something beyond a 'sorry.' Asad has not just hurt Zoya physically but also emotionally...he has left a mark on her soul - a reminder that he can hurt her when he chooses. For Asad to heal Zoya he will need to take ownership of his behavior and and repair the damage by helping her rebuild her trust in him. 

As for Zoya, although she has superficially forgiving Asad, a trait that i have found disappointing if the CVs are trying to portray a strong and confident woman, it is apparent that she simply cannot brush off this horrific incident of abuse/violence towards her. Whether as a viewer you believe it is justified or not, the psychological impact is traumatic and damaging. The person is left humiliated, demeaned and degraded. The scar on Zoya's hand reminds her that this man didn't trust her, he didn't respect her voice..he made a haste judgement about her and didn't think what he did was wrong until he realized he had made a horrible mistake after finding out she was innocent. Zoya's trauma is apparent when she flinched when Asad raised his hand. While the writers have shown her act like nothing had happened - something i find rather disappointing - it is apparent that she fears Asad.  In order for any relationship to be forged with Asad on Zoya's part, Asad will have to help her realize that she does not have live in fear of him as no relationship can be built when you fear the other person will harm you. 

The decent aspect of today's episode is that when the reminder scenes and regret were shown, the PH did not resort to the ridiculous Mitwa track - that simply romanticized matters which were highly dangerous. 

While viewers would like us to move on...it is important to understand that as two people Asad and Zoya have yet to move on in their relationship with each other until this horrific matter is resolved...Asad has to take ownership of his actions as wrong, not just because Zoya was innocent and Zoya has to confront Asad to let him know what he did was wrong and that is not how she wants to be treated now or in the future. She cannot live her alive burying the matter in the ground and laughing it off with silly jokes, poetry and denial. Until then, the healing cannot begin either for the characters or for us, the viewers. 

(A couple of minor grammatical errors were noted and these are in purple...content is unchanged)
Edited by Laila2009 - 11 years ago
Great post Laila! Really well expressed. 

Kudo's to the PH for this 👏 heartened that they are approaching this with sensitivity and tact now, I have nothing against Mitwa but it should be used in the right context to leave a positive impact, like the exclusion of it in today's flashback and regret scenes have achieved: 

"The decent aspect of today's episode is that when the remind scenes and regret were shown, the PH did not resort to the ridiculous Mitwa track - that simply romanticized matters which were highly dangerous"

I may start watching QH on telly again soon... After all, I've been holding on for the Gudiya Factory ki Raaz. 

On a related note, I'm glad Teri Meri got played and not Khuda Jaane... A few lines in that song were controversial from an Islamic pov and I'm glad they scrapped it, for whatever reasons they had =) 
Edited by Aalia_A - 11 years ago
Originally posted by Aalia_A

Great post Laila! Really well expressed. 

Kudo's to the PH for this 👏 heartened that they are approaching this with sensitivity and tact now, I have nothing against Mitwa but it should be used in the right context to leave a positive impact, like the exclusion of it in today's flashback and regret scenes have achieved: 

The decent aspect of today's episode is that when the remind scenes and regret were shown, the PH did not resort to the ridiculous Mitwa track - that simply romanticized matters which were highly dangerous. 

Today was a step in the right direction. It actually showed real redemption and guilt and that was essential. Thanks for the compliment...and the words you used in your PM - I am not a fictional, poetic writer...give me a technical research report (or other stuff) and I can write those...😉 So thank you...🤗

I totally agree with you - I think the choice of song was excellent in comparison to Khuda Jaane. I agree about the lines - some things we just can't do (literally 😉)
Edited by Laila2009 - 11 years ago
Originally posted by Laila2009

Today was a step in the right direction. It actually showed real redemption and guilt and that was essential. Thanks for the compliment...and the words you used in your PM - I am not a fictional, poetic writer...give me a technical research report (or other stuff) and I can write those...😉 So thank you...🤗

I totally agree with you - I think the choice of song was excellent in comparison to Khuda Jaane. 

Yes it was - mostly because Asad was instantly conscious and ashamed of his past actions. That endeared him to me. I hope Zoya takes a step forth too now... Wanting to see the Miss Farooqui that drew me to her in the initial episodes 😳 

Hehe 🤗 trust me, your words in this post have a lyrical quality to them. Nothing dry about it. Tussi yeh rang kitthe chupaye baithhe thhe??? 😆
Good post Laila. I enjoyed ydays epi because we finally are seeing true remorse. For me that was a bigger highlight than the dance.
Originally posted by delena90

Good post Laila. I enjoyed ydays epi because we finally are seeing true remorse. For me that was a bigger highlight than the dance.

Word. Yesterday's episode had something for all audiences and left them all happy in some way or another. It's a fairly positive sign...
Great Post Laila!!!

I am so glad that we are getting to see some remorse and redemption in the true sense. Its still NOT exactly what we hoped for...but slowly but surely wins the race right? 😉

Originally posted by delena90

Totally agree! If we get more of this, then I can give some respect to the PH for taking the matter seriously - my hope is that they have read or posts (I know several people have sent them to the PH house and so have I 😉)
"The decent aspect of today's episode is that when the remind scenes and regret were shown, the PH did not resort to the ridiculous Mitwa track - that simply romanticized matters which were highly dangerous"

👏 I was happy about that too-I might begin watching it again after today if the writers continue to deliver what they initially began with...i.e. stay true to their characters-Asad and Zoya!😊
Originally posted by AdhooriSi

Great Post Laila!!!

I am so glad that we are getting to see some remorse and redemption in the true sense. Its still NOT exactly what we hoped for...but slowly but surely wins the race right? 😉

Thanks Adhoori! I hope this is not just a flash in the pan but that the team are seriously listening to all the viewers of the show😉 Today was actually a move in the right direction...I agree with with you that last week was a serious disappointment and just added to the wound.