Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Mother in every form... Ganga/Parvathi or Your Own

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Shakti_Shiva

Groupbie

Shakti_Shiva

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged
I am touched by the sentiments shown past 2 days. How often we forget, we are today because of the Mother. Not just the mother that gave birth to me, but all the mothers that made me who I am today. We are born in a great culture, where every thing around is given the status of a goddess , a mother. Let it be earth, forest, rivers or your own home. Everything plays a part is nourishing you. How often do we say a simple verbal thanks ? How often do we treat her with respect, love and compassion.

Millions violate Ganga every day. Not just Ganga, but every river out there.  We kill tress. We dig deep down in to the heart of mother earth. We are never content. We are never happy. We violate the sanctity and purity associated with our actions or non-actions. But still, she gives. She finds ways to give. Now , That is MOTHER. Take care of her, which truly means you are taking care of yourself, for you are nothing but her.

This reminded me of a great stotram written Adi Shankara. here is a wonderful translation by one of the Great Souls of India.

Shankara's Mathru Panchakam
Mathru Panchakam
By
Adhi Shankara Bhagwat Pada
Translated into verse
By

P.R.Ramachander

INTRODUCTION

Adhi Sankara Bhagawat Pada was born at Kalady in Kerala in a Namboodiri Family.His mother was Aryamba and his father died very early..When he wanted to take up sanyasa very much against the will of her mother, she finally agreed with a condition, that He should be present near her death bed and also he should perform the obsequies.Sankara agreed for this and took up Sanyasa.When he was art Sringeri, he realized that his mother was nearing death and by the power given to him by God reached there immediately.He was near his mother at the time of her death and also performed the funeral ceremonies .It was at this time he wrote this five slokas which came out deep from his mind.This was possibly the only poem he wrote, which is not extolling any God and also not explaining his philosophy.
Mother has been extolled as a god form in several places in the puranaas and also God has been approached as a son approaches his mother by many great savants. She is Dhatree(One who bears the child), Janani(one who gives birth to the child), Ambaa(One who nourishes the limbs of the child) and Veerasu(One who makes him a hero), Shusroo(One who takes care of him) .But Sankara in these poems is not dealing either of God in the form of mother nor mother in the form of God.He laments to the lady who was his mother and points out how his conscience is pricking him for being not able to do the duty of a son.

Aasthaam tavaddeyam prasoothi samaye durvara soola vyadha,
Nairuchyam thanu soshanam malamayee sayya cha samvatsaree,
Ekasyapi na garbha bara bharana klesasya yasya kshmo dhathum,
Nishkruthi munnathopi thanaya tasya janyai nama.

Oh mother mine,
With clenched teeth bore thou the excruciating pain,
When I was born to you,
Shared thou the bed made dirty by me for an year,
And thine body became thin and painfull,
During those nine months that you bore me,
For all these in return,
Oh mother dearest,
I can never compensate,
Even by my becoming great.

Gurukulamupasruthya swapnakaale thu drushtwa,
Yathi samuchitha vesham praarudho maam twamuchai
Gurukulamadha sarva prarudathe samaksham
Sapadhi charanayosthe mathurasthu pranaama.

Clad in a dress of a sanyasin,
You saw me in my teacher's school,
In your dream and wept,
And rushed thither,
Smothered , embraced and fondled me , Oh mother mine,
And all the teachers and students wept with you dear,
What could I do ,
Except falling at your feet,
And offering my salutations.

Ambethi Thathethi Shivethi tasmin,
Prasoothikale yadavocha uchai,
Krishnethi Govinda hare Mukunde tyaho,
Janye rachito ayamanjali.

Oh mother mine,
Crying thou shouted in pain,
During thine hard labour,
"Oh mother, Oh father,
Oh God Shiva,
Oh Lord Krishna,
Oh Lord of all Govinda,
Oh Hari and Oh God Mukunda,"
But in return,
Oh my mother dearest.
I can give you but humble prostrations.

Na dattam mathasthe marana samaye thoyamapi vaa,
Swadhaa vaa no dheyaa maranadivase sraadha vidhina
Na japtho mathasthe marana samaye tharaka manu,
Akale samprapthe mayi kuru dhayaam matharathulaam.

Neither did I give you water at thine time of death,
Neither did I offer oblations to thee to help thine journey of death,
And neither did I chant the name of Rama in thine ear,
Oh Mother supreme, pardon me for these lapses with compassion,
For I have arrived here late to attend to those.

Mukthaa Manisthvam, Nayanam mamethi,
Rajethi jeevethi chiram sthutha thwam,
Ithyuktha vathya vaachi mathaa,
Dadamyaham thandulamesh shulkam.

Long live,
Oh, pearl mine,
Oh jewel mine,
Oh my dearest eyes,
Oh mine prince dearest,
And oh my soul of soul,
Sang thou to me,
But in return of that all,
Oh my mother dearest.
I give you but dry rice in your mouth

I am sure you have lot to share.. please do..

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

shreenidAnuvanathiRanjushamnx12varaaliSandytatsme..neelanjanaKavya.KumaripayelsonafankaatayaniArijit007Proud-Indiaforam.Nikki_Titli

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mother in every form... Ganga/Parvathi or Your Own" in Devon ke Dev Mahadev forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Proud-India

IF-Sizzlerz

Proud-India

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged
Thank You very much.

You have given beautiful description here.

You always create minimum posts but always make excellent post which can be provided very knowledgeable information.

And congrats,you are going to be groupbie.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Shakti_ShivaSandytatsmeMrToolConfuser

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged
Since you have touched upon Adi Shankara , here, I would like to bring to light one more fact which highlights the importance of the mother. In Adi Shankara bhagadpada's tradition, whoever ascends the sacred seat of the four peethas he established (Dwaraka, Puri, Jyotirmutt, Kanci / sringeri) is regarded as Jagadguru. Since the Jagadguru is not supposed to maintain any worldly relations, all relatives -even the father - are required to bow before him. 

However, even under such circumstances, the mother is exempt from bowing before her son because, that is one bond that never be completely severed. Even though he may have become a Jagadguru, he can never really become greater than the womb which nourished him for nine months and bore him.

Edited by varaali - 13 February 2013 at 11:38pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Shakti_ShivaSandytatsmeKavya.KumarikaatayaniMrToolConfuserProud-IndiaArijit007foram.

Shakti_Shiva

Groupbie

Shakti_Shiva

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 6:35am | IP Logged
@Varaali... Even trimurthis had to succumb to the love of Mother Anasuya and are born as her sons. May it be a boon it may it be their leela. Like Ganesha says in serial " Maa sarvopari hain !! " .
I just am sad today there are millions of elderly stay in old age homes despite their kids being able. Forget respect, they are treated less than animals ( not that animals don't need our compassion ). Didn't mean to get sentimental, but Ganga's plight is many mothers problem today too. As much as we enjoy the mythological serials, I wish we can take a take home lesson every day and implement it.

@ MSPE.. Thank you ! Smile

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

varaaliKavya.KumariMrToolConfuserProud-Indiaforam.

Anuvanathi

Anuvanathi

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged
yet another  awesome postSmileSmile..just loved it..
It is always a  mother who sacrifices every liitle thing just  for her  own family's happiness..she is a teacher,friend,philosopher and a  guide to whom we always lookup to warmth and  comfort anytime..and she is ready to hear all our rantings about anything/nothing..
The Holy rivers are nothing less than a mother.
So we should all respect and protect her be it Ganga/any other river or our very own mother..

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Proud-India

Arijit007

IF-Sizzlerz

Arijit007

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged
I am deeply moved by this thred. Mother is the first person one gets to know, she is the first teacher, she deserves respect. Not only mothers every woman and girl deserves respect.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Proud-India

..neelanjana

IF-Dazzler

..neelanjana

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged
Beautiful post..
Brilliant...Clap

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.