Debate Mansion

Charity - best done publicly or privately?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

nishabee

Groupbie

nishabee

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
Here's an age-old question:
Should charitable deeds be done privately, without making a hue and cry about the matter, or should they be done publicly?

Those who say it should be done privately say that it is self-promotion to do it openly. There are those celebs who call media to their house and announce that they are doing charity. Tongue
On the other side, people say that if you do it publicly it is for a good cause and it will give more cache for that cause and might encourage others to also support the cause.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-moomin4455iria_luvsLindorForever-KAepiphany.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Charity - best done publicly or privately?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:50am | IP Logged

I dont think it matters much to the one getting the charity.

The better option is to do it privately. However if the aim is to collect more money then you have to disclose it to show to others that okay I am giving it as well so you do that too.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

nishabeemoomin4455iria_luvsLindor

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 8:11am | IP Logged

I believe charity should be done humbly with sincerity. However, you do have to talk about it to encourage others to do something as well. It just depends how you go about it. If I do something charitable, it doesn't make sense for me to act like a celebrity and make a huge deal. But I can share with friends and relatives how rewarding it was and urge them to do something similar. But celebrities need to make a big deal out of things I feel. People look up to them and follow what they do. That is why they need to be a bit more vocal and attention seeking. That way they get more people doing charitable things.  

nishabeemoomin4455charminggenie

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged
Private or publicly, doesn't matter as long as it's done with the right intentions. 

Celebrities have the ability to raise more awareness and can also be useful to raise relief money when needed. It may be more publicity for them, it may not be...we can't judge that but either way someone will benefit from it. All's well that ends well, perhaps. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

nishabeemoomin4455

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged
A person who has the humility to give away what they have to a person whose in greater need is truly charitable. It is the good will that matters. If the person's intention is to truly help someone in need it does not matter whether it's done publicly or privately.

But personally, all my charity I would do in private. As long as what I do helps people it does not matter who knows about it and who doesn't.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

nishabeeiria_luvsLindor

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged
depends what you're doing it for.

if you want spiritual satisfaction, then do it privately. 

if you're looking for an image make-over, then do it publicly. Just make sure you have your PR firm clicking good pictures.LOL

if you want access to powerful people, then set up a charitable foundation, something that claims to save the world from the latest disaster or famine.LOL Invite the Clinton types. The rest will be history. The pictures you'll get to post on the internet, a fancy web site advertising your charity, will a) make people think you're rich and powerful yourself (b) provide you access to an exclusive club (c) open doors to profitable business opportunities where you can make a lot of money.

so you just need to figure out what you're doing it for. Either way you're doing it for yourself, for your own satisfaction or for your wallet.Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

nishabee

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

depends what you're doing it for.

if you want spiritual satisfaction, then do it privately. 

if you're looking for an image make-over, then do it publicly. Just make sure you have your PR firm clicking good pictures.LOL

if you want access to powerful people, then set up a charitable foundation, something that claims to save the world from the latest disaster or famine.LOL Invite the Clinton types. The rest will be history. The pictures you'll get to post on the internet, a fancy web site advertising your charity, will a) make people think you're rich and powerful yourself (b) provide you access to an exclusive club (c) open doors to profitable business opportunities where you can make a lot of money.

so you just need to figure out what you're doing it for. Either way you're doing it for yourself, for your own satisfaction or for your wallet.Smile

I thought you'd make a comment about doing some girl called charity in private LOL

BirdieNumNummoomin4455epiphany.

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mr.ass

I thought you'd make a comment about doing some girl called charity in private LOL

lol you gotta be an ass to say that in public.LOL

good one.Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top