Miscellaneous

News: RAdar lock: Angy Japan wants China to apolog (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged

An Honest Dilemma for BJP

With yet another parliamentary session in full swing, the Bharatiya Janata Party leadership was in high spirits, having won a hard-fought apology from home minister Sushil-kumar Shinde on his 'terror and terrorist' comments. But there was another dilemma. 

At a hurriedly convened meeting of the BJP brains trust, senior leader L K Advani announced, "We have some urgent repair work to do. The Congress is at it again. It stated that the BJP did not know the meaning or spelling of the word 'honesty'. Should we take this lying down?" 

"That is not true," snapped Sushma Swaraj. "No one bothers about spelling these days, and unlike the Congress, we in the BJP discover several meanings for one word. Should we demand yet another apology from the Congress?" 

Party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad shook his head. "Apology is 'passe' these days. It leads to confusion. For instance, British Prime Minister David Cameron visited Jallianwala Bagh last week. But there is utter confusion over the visit. Did he apologise for the massacre or only express regret?" 

"Perhaps there are two meanings for the word," mused Advani. 

"Words could be deadly," pointed out Ravi Shankar Prasad. "We in the BJP are experts in this. In a recent TV debate, our inimitable Rajiv Pratap Rudy called Markandeya Katju a vagabond." 

"That Rudy is incorrigible," laughed Arun Jaitley. "Remember the time when he was the civil aviation minister and took his entire family on a foreign holiday and billed the ministry for his expenses? He nearly got away with it. How well did he spell honesty, understand and interpret it? 

"We can always rescue our younger brigade," explained Ravi Shankar Prasad. "In the same TV debate, i explained that Rudy meant Katju was an 'intellectual' vagabond. That silenced even Karan Thapar, not a mean achievement." 

"That is the right attitude," said Murli Manohar Joshi. "If the Congress states that we in the BJP could neither spell nor understand 'honesty' we can prove to them that only the BJP could come out with several meanings for one word. Take any issue, which other party but the BJP comes out with different explanations for a single issue so often?" 

"We must keep our wits sharp," observed Sushma Swaraj. "Let me test some of you. What is the meaning of 'family'?" 

"In Italy, it means the Mafia," came out Rudy. "In India, it is Sonia Gandhi, particularly when it is mentioned by the AgustaWestland helicopter people. It is not 'Tyagi' family or any other family." 

"There is a distinction here," pointed out Yashwant Sinha. "For example, Italy also means some good things pasta, spaghetti, pizza, Ferrari, Maserati. These have nothing to do with Sonia. But helicopter deals, agents, family you have Sonia. Never forget these subtle points." 

"Brilliant!" exclaimed Sushma Swaraj. "What is the meaning of Bofors? I want one of the younger BJP members to answer this." 

A young member stepped forward. "Isn't Bofors some kind of a dead horse which the BJP had been flogging for several years?" 

"Suspend him from the party," snapped Murli Manohar Joshi. "Let some other young member answer." 

Another young member stepped forward. "It is something very ancient, we view it as an epic like Ramayana and Mahabharat. In fact, it is our Bible oh, i'm sorry, our Bhagwad Gita. It contains nothing but Truth. When we come to power, we shall make it a compulsory subject in schools and colleges." 

"That is better," said Yashwant Sinha. "There is some spark among the BJP youth." 

"Let us get ready for Parliament," said Advani. "We shall prove the Congress wrong once more. We know how to spell 'honesty'. We are now in a position to take on the Family (the Indian version) and emerge triumphant in 2014."

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "News: RAdar lock: Angy Japan wants China to apolog (Page 3)" in Miscellaneous forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged

What ever you can do, or  dream you can, begin it.

Boldness has  genius, power and magic in it. 

Edited by dixitrm200 - 27 February 2013 at 7:54pm

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged

Lawer : Your honour, my client  who has won the case yet refused to pay my fees.

Judge : Hav you given your request in writing to him

Yes my Lord.

What was his reply, Judge asked?

He replied me to go to hell, therefore,   I came straight to your honour, My Lord.  

Edited by dixitrm200 - 28 February 2013 at 9:47am

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged

Budget 2013: Chidambaram nets big fish

ByShankar Raghuraman, TNN | Mar 1, 2013, 01.46 AM IST

Not so long ago, India appeared to be cruising towards superpowerdom. Then bad weather struck, at home and abroad. With elections looming on the horizon, Chidambaram faces a twin challenge: Keep Congress hopes afloat while steering the economy out of choppy waters. He's soaked the rich, made a splash for women, and sought to shore up investments. (TOI illustration)
NEW DELHi: Budgets presented in the run-up to elections, whether in the preor post-reforms era, have tended to showcase how much the government is doing f
Budget 2013: Chidambaram nets big fish
or the common man. What's changed post-reforms is that the 'pro-poor rhetoric' has not been accompanied by a 'soak-the-rich' posture. Finance minister P Chidambaram on Thursday bucked that trend. 

While announcing a tax rebate of up to Rs 2,000 for those with incomes of not more than Rs 5 lakh, the finance minister imposed a 10% surcharge on income tax for crorepatis, who officially number a mere 42,800, and for domestic and foreign firms with taxable income above Rs 10 crore, which would leave out only small enterprises. 

In a similar vein, he has hiked customs duty on all mobile phone handsets costing more than Rs 2,000. And has increased excise duty on SUVs which the fine print of the Budget suggests have been defined in a manner that includes several sedans too. The duty on imported high-end automobiles and yachts has been upped too. Those buying homes and flats with a carpet area of 2,000 feet or more, or a value of Rs 1 crore or more, will now effectively pay service tax on 30% of the value of the property, while cheaper ones will continue to pay 25% of the value. As Chidambaram himself put it in his speech, "When I need to raise resources, who can I go to except those who are relatively well placed in society?" 

The 'pro-poor, anti-rich' stance apart, the FM was at pains to show how much the government cares for women and their empowerment. Among the many proposals directed at women was a Nirbhaya Fund for their security and empowerment, and India's first women's bank. 

For the taxpayer, there will be an additional Rs 1 lakh available for deductions on home loan interest payments, though again only for relatively modestly-priced homes and first-time owners. There were promises too of inflation-linked savings instruments, though the details are to be worked out by the RBI. 

For corporates, there is an incentive to invest, with 15% of spending of over Rs 100 crore on new plant and machinery in the next two years qualifying for a deduction. For the markets, there was some relief in the form of lower rates of tax on securities transactions and easier procedures for foreign portfolio investors. Against this was a fresh levy, equivalent to the tax on securities transactions, on non-agricultural commodity futures. 

Fiscal deficit reined in at 4.8% of GDP 

Another change was to stipulate that where a foreign investor's equity holdings in a firm are over 10%, it would be treated as FDI, while below that threshold it would be FII investment. 

The net effect of the tax changes is estimated to yield an extra Rs 13,300 crore in direct taxes and Rs 4,700 crore in indirect taxes. The total additional resource mobilisation of Rs 18,000 crore pales in comparison to the Rs 41,440 crore Pranab Mukherjee had proposed to raise last year. 

Despite the relatively modest tax mop-up, the FM has managed to present a budget that apparently hikes outlays on key areas like education, health and the social sector by significant amounts and yet contains the fiscal deficit at 4.8% of GDP. There is a bit of smoke and mirrors in that image, though. Chidambaram constantly referred to how big the jumps in outlays were relative to the revised estimates for 2012-13, but chose not to dwell on the fact that when compared with the budget estimates for the same year, the increases were most often modest. He is also clearly banking on being able to cut subsidies by a significant amount - next year's estimates for combined food, fertilizer and petroleum product subsidies is almost Rs 27,000 crore less than the revised estimates for 2012-13. Is that a sign that the government really means it when it says that fuel prices will be periodically revised? We'll have to wait and see. 

To be fair to the FM, he is, like Pi in Ang Lee's multi Oscar-winning film, faced with the onerous task of surviving a destructive storm and taking both the economy and his party not necessarily in that order to shore.

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 02 March 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged

MAN  SWALLOWED BY SINKHOLE IN FLORIDA

Seffner, Florida (CNN) -- Authorities in Florida gave up the search Saturday for a man presumed dead after a sinkhole opened beneath the bedroom of his family's suburban Tampa home, swallowing him up.

The effort to recover the body of Jeff Bush had resumed earlier in the day after authorities stopped operations overnight, saying the hole was still expanding and the house could collapse at any time.

"We just have not been able to locate Mr. Bush and so for that reason the rescue effort is being discontinued," Mike Merrill, county administrator for Hillsborough County, told reporters Saturday evening. "At this point, it's really not possible to recover the body."

Merrill said the next phase in the effort would be demolition of the family's home, which is scheduled to begin Sunday and could take a couple of days. He stressed that workers were dealing with a "very unusual sinkhole" -- deep, wide and extremely unstable.

"We've done everything we believe that we can. We wish we could have done more," Merrill said. The sinkhole was between 50 and 60 feet deep, he said.

The terror for the Bush family began Thursday night, as everybody in the blue, one-story, 1970s-era home in Seffner was going to bed.

Sinkhole victim's brother: I have nothing
Sinkhole swallows Florida man
What causes sinkholes?
First responder: Everything was sinking

There was a deafening noise.

"I ran toward my brother's bedroom because I heard my brother scream," Jeremy Bush, Jeff Bush's brother, told CNN's "AC360."

Sinkholes common, costly, sometimes deadly

"Everything was gone. My brother's bed, my brother's dresser, my brother's TV. My brother was gone."

Bush frantically tried to rescue his brother, by standing in the hole and digging at the rubble with a shovel until police arrived and pulled him out, saying the floor was still collapsing.

"I couldn't get him out. I tried so hard. I tried everything I could," he said through tears. "I could swear I heard him calling out."

The terror of those moments can be heard in a recording of the 911 call in the moments after the sinkhole opened up.

"The house just fell through," a female voice says on the recording released Friday by the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

The woman asks for an ambulance and the police.

"The bedroom floor just collapsed, and my brother-in-law is in there. He's underneath the house," she says.

Jeremy Bush and four other people, including a 2-year-old child, were uninjured.

After officials called off the search for his brother Saturday, Jeremy Bush spoke to Bay News 9.

"It's very hard. It's not just I lost my brother. They're so many memories in this house," he told the CNN affiliate. "I don't know what we're going to do."

Nearby homes were evacuated Friday as a precaution.

The sinkhole compromised a house next door to the Bush home, fire department spokesman Ronnie Rivera said. That home wasn't damaged as of Saturday morning, but the family that lives there was given up to 30 minutes to remove some belongings before abandoning the premises, he said.

Merrill said residents on either side of the Bush home were allowed to go into their houses a short time to retrieve what they could.

Sinkholes are common in the state, according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. The state lies on bedrock made of limestone or other carbonate rock that can be eaten away by acidic groundwater, forming voids that collapse when the rock can no longer support the weight of what's above it.

Hillsborough County, on Florida's west coast, is part of an area known as "sinkhole alley" that accounts for two-thirds of the sinkhole-related insurance claims in the state, according to a Florida state Senate Insurance and Banking Committee report.

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 03 March 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged

" Life is a glorious cycle of
                  song, remix of love, happiness
                  and madness. When two people
                  fall in love with each other ; this
                  madness becomes a reason to 
                  live and love.

Surabhi and Nitin

Recently wedded.

Edited by dixitrm200 - 03 March 2013 at 3:10am

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 04 March 2013 at 11:25am | IP Logged

Narendra Modi's keynote address at Wharton School cancelled after protests

Edited by Mala Das (with inputs from Agencies) | Updated: March 04, 2013 10:59 IST

Narendra Modi's keynote address at Wharton School cancelled after protests

Washington: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's keynote address at the India Economic Forum in Philadelphia later this month has been cancelled by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, a top US business school. The organisers said that while they stood by the decision to invite Mr Modi, adverse reactions from multiple stakeholders had prompted the decision. 

"Our team felt that the potential polarising reactions from sub-segments of the alumni base, student body and our supporters might put Mr Modi in a compromising position, which we would like to avoid at all cost...We do not endorse any political views and do not support any specific ideology. Our goal as a team is only to stimulate valuable dialogue on India's growth story," the Forum said in a statement on Sunday.(Read the full statement)

Mr Modi had been approached by the Wharton School's students' body, which organises the India Economic Forum, and he had agreed to deliver a keynote address through video conference on March 22-23. 

This had triggered a controversy with professors and students from various universities writing a strongly-worded letter to the management, saying they were outraged to learn that Mr Modi had been invited as a speaker.

"This is the same politician who was refused a diplomatic visa by the United States State Department on March 18, 2005 on the ground that he, as Chief Minister, did nothing to prevent a series of orchestrated riots that targeted Muslims in Gujarat," the letter, carrying 175 signatures, said.

Sources have told NDTV that there was immense pressure from the Wharton administration and management on the students' body to cancel the Gujarat Chief Minister's address. The powerful Wharton alumni was also instrumental in reversing the Forum's decision. 

Sources, though, also say that there was equal, if not more, support for Mr Modi to speak at the event because they wanted to draw a clear distinction between the 62-year-old chief minister's political past and economic vision. The Forum, in its statement, had said that the student body was extremely impressed with Mr Modi's credentials, governance ideologies, and leadership, which was the primary reason for his invitation. A student from the group of organisers also told NDTV they invited Mr Modi because they were impressed with Gujarat's growth story.

"We as a team, would like to apologise for being a catalyst that may have put Mr Modi and the Wharton School administration in a difficult position," the Forum said. The Forum said it hoped to have the Chief Minister speak at a "more appropriate forum where he can interact with students without the distraction of this kind of attention".

Wharton India Economic Forum is an annual student-run India-centric conference hosted by the Wharton School. The speakers for the meeting are usually chosen by the students' body. 

Last month, the Gujarat Chief Minister had faced protests while delivering a speech at Delhi's prestigious Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC). As he addressed the students, another group outside raised slogans and protested against him, saying the invitation overlooked the communal riots in Gujarat in 2002. The police had to use water cannons and canes to control the protests.

dixitrm200

dixitrm200

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged

Baby born after Brooklyn hit-and-run dies in hospital

Boy born by caesarean section after Nachman and Raizy Glauber were killed on way to hospital, but died about a day later

• , Monday 4 March 2013 14.04 GMT
Wreckage from the car crash that killed expectant parents Raizy and Nachman Glauber
The horrific crash happened in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn as the couple headed to a hospital. Photograph: AP/VosIzNeias.com, Eli Wohl

Police have identified a suspect being sought in the hit-and-run deaths of a pregnant woman and her husband whose baby died on Monday, a day after the Brooklyn car crash.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said police are looking for 44-year-old Julio Acevedo, who had a DWI arrest in February. Acevedo was going at least 60 mph when the car slammed into the cab carrying the couple to a hospital, police said.

The newborn boy, delivered after the crash, died early Monday, according to Isaac Abraham, who serves as a spokesman for the family's Orthodox Jewish community.

"We in the community are demanding that the prosecutor charge the driver of BMW that caused the death of this couple and infant ... with triple homicide," Abraham said in a statement. "This coward left the scene of the accident not even bothering to check on the people of the other car."

Nachman and Raizy Glauber, both 21, were looking forward to welcoming their first child into their tight-knit community of Orthodox Jews.

The horrific crash happened in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn as the couple headed to a hospital.

The engine of the livery car ended up in the backseat, where Raizy Glauber, who was seven months pregnant, was sitting before she was ejected, Abraham said. Her body landed under a parked tractor-trailer, said witnesses who raced to the scene after the crash. Nachman Glauber was pinned in the car, and emergency workers had to cut off the roof to get him out, witnesses said.

The Glaubers both were pronounced dead at hospitals, and the medical examiner said they died of blunt-force trauma. Doctors had delivered the baby by cesarean section.

Neighbors and friends said the boy weighed only about 4 pounds. The Glaubers' livery cab driver was treated for minor injuries at the hospital and was later released. Acevedo and a passenger fled and were being sought, police said.

Today's Best Live Scene of  Walnurse spotted in north of Scotland. A rare One. Link below

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/mar/04/walrus-spotted-north-scotland-video

Post Reply New Post

Go to top