Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

shalini1323

shalini1323

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged
Just read an interesting article this morning :

http://spotlightxoxo.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/the-bridge-between-the-ideal-life-and-your-life/

Some debatable points :

1) Is it better to be practical and lead a "safe" life or is it better to be a little bit of a dreamer and take a bit of risks ?

2) Do we make lives complicated by wondering over "what could have been" instead of fixing whatever that's in our hands right now ?

3) Why do people form regrets - is it because they are too coward to take a risk ? Or is it because they did not do what they want to in their lives because the time wasn't right ?

4) Who decides when the time is right, anyway? Our age/parents/spouse etc ?

Do share some experiences too ! Embarrassed

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

nishabeesoaringskiesForever-KAepiphany.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Practicality vs Reality" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

shalini1323

shalini1323

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged
?

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged
1) Is it better to be practical and lead a "safe" life or is it better to be a little bit of a dreamer and take a bit of risks ?

Pragmatism dwells in one's sensibilities about where their 'heart' really belongs. We often make decisions that the world deems 'practical' and we find em 'safe' but in reality practicality is all about being happy. I personally feel my achievements and decisions will mean squat if they do not make me happy and proud about making them. We're never going to learn and grow wise if we dun take risks, y'know? We really need a life of our choice before we start safeguarding it. If the conventional way isn't your way, I do not think you should shy away from admitting that. You should go ahead and pursue whatever it is you want. No matter how socially and 'practically' irrational it could be, it's worth one shot.  

2) Do we make lives complicated by wondering over "what could have been" instead of fixing whatever that's in our hands right now ?

'What could have been' is a natural chain of thoughts that occurs to each and every one of us periodically in life. We never truly get to fix anything in this situation because whatever could have been never did happen, right? It can however be, if we still want it enough, more than what we got.

3) Why do people form regrets - is it because they are too coward to take a risk ? Or is it because they did not do what they want to in their lives because the time wasn't right ?

People form regrets due to their cowardice and their habit of succumbing to societal pressures. 

4) Who decides when the time is right, anyway? Our age/parents/spouse etc ?

We decide when it's the right time. With age, comes wisdom but because the base of exposure to worldly issues has increased so much now, wisdom is likely to come around before age as well. So you cannot depend on growing to a certain age before you do your thing or wait for your parents/spouse/mentors to give you a sanction. One has to take charge of their lives or they will naturally be regretful of not doing so. Dun you think?

-Epiphany.

Edited by epiphany. - 10 February 2013 at 8:18am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

shalini1323Gunjan.Forever-KA

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged
Even risks have an element of practicality. We can dream anything but we only take risks where we are hopeful we are likely to succeed (a practical approach). For example if you are

a) Ordinary person - you will take risk of jumping from 1 floor
b) James bond - you will take risk of jumping from lets say 3-4 floor
c) Agent Vinod - you will take risk of jumping from lets say 10-15 floors

My point is that the driving force in the end is practicality +- dreams/risks.

Edit: I am not clear on rest of your points (don't know the context) so editing my answer. In general we should look forward after learning from the past.

Edited by King-Anu - 10 February 2013 at 1:25pm

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged

Lets look at the issue of "practicality and reality" in context of modern Bollywood. I had the misfortune of watching the movie "Student of the Year".

It is about school kids (see a sample of a "school kid" below) and a competition in school i.e. student of the year. Typical love triangle between a modern girl (similar to kareena from kabhi khushi), a rich dude (dhawan) and of course a poor kid (don't know the name) who is hard working and talented and there to win it all. Add to it a billionaire environment, a suppressed lady (mom in this case), resorts as homes, school that looks like a 5 star hotel, prada, versace, ferrari, gucci, and other expensive stuff. Since this is Karan Johar add a gay character as well and there you go a modern Bollywood movie is there.

I have two issues

1) Now if I stretch my imagination a little (lets say US to India in terms of distance) then I can see everyone as school going children and participating in "prom" and all that. Fine ok. However can someone tell me how the heck this uncle ended up as a school going kid?

2) My feeling is that this uncle is portrayal of Karan Johar himself. In the end uncle loses it and gives a lecture to principal on how he is wrong (similar to Shahrukh and Bachan scene in Mohabbatein) in holding such competitions where there is dance and all that. Uncle argues that its unfair since "kids" like him cannot get a dance partner/date and therefore cannot win. What happened was that uncle, instead of a girl, got another school going boy as a date (a bearded one, see below) and therefore the issue.

So yes are these movies real? Why cant these movies be more practical? I wont call it a waste of time as even nuisance can have some entertainment volume but definitely a waste of few thousands neurons.

Sorry for deviating from the topic but the words practical and real just made me post my feelings here. lol.

Edited by King-Anu - 10 February 2013 at 1:38pm

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 1:54am | IP Logged
In life people take different kinds of risks depend on situation...personaly I love to take risks in daily life..there is so much thrill in it...I dont care what people think or says about me...cos Life is a risk,without taking any risk/dicisions you are dead..bt never do the mistake again and again ..invent new mistakes every day... be creative.. risk in new ways...Smile

Edited by Prometeus - 11 February 2013 at 1:49am

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Baazigar.

@Anu we will get these type of thrash fantasy served by bollywood. Imagine people celebrate when  these type of movies earn 100 crores without thinking 300 looted from their own pocket. Recently i saw a movie the band's visit , what a brilliant movie  . Realistic , down to earth, a movie that portray ordinary human character who see themselves as human only. May be our bollywood is miles away from these kind of movies . When there is a easy way of manufacture animosity among people this movie is simply brilliant one that shows realistic side of human. Till we gulp down these kind of thrash unrealistic thrash SOTY , these people will waste crores on them serve drugs like moon walking serials and wonderland movies .

http://www.utvworldmovies.com/schedule/

thanks baazigar. i love bollywood. in fact i only watch bollywood movies. however my issue is  that why do they have to go overboard. sure add glamour and all that but at least make some sense. in race 2 there were business deals going on worth 15 billion euroes. lol. ferraris, palaces, horse racing, villas, crazy parties. Girl directly asks Saif Khan where do you live and shows up at 1.00 am in the night to engage in some activity. lol. is this what India is? Have I missed something? Am I of old mindset?  If I am wrong and desis have changed this much then why dont I see it in people around me. I too live in west and interact with lots of Indians. I just dont see deepika and saif types boozing around lol. Maybe i dont go to such places.

If you see bollywood movies these days it seems the whole world is run by Indians. In movie Tezz Indians  were controlling the railway system, in race 2 they are all over istanbul, in ek tha tiger they are all over london. Whats the fascination with controlling? of course in west they have whites as servants and mangers.  Do you always have to be super rich and controlling? Why not be real and practical. Show what I see everyday.

This is why I like Aamir Khan movies. You can see it seems real. The Karan johar type movies are feel good movies aimed at making insecure people happy. Thats my take.

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged
Bollywood produces a lot of crap and Karan Johar believes that because it's coming from him, the masses will take, wait for it, anything. Pig 

And that dude's partially correct. Just by looking at the stills of Student of the Year, you could tell it's like India in some sort of alternate universe and it would take another fifty years for the country to have a school like that. Stern Smile He makes movies that are visual treats, is all. But even makes mistakes at times, for I don't see the point about Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra if just by the face we were to extract 'visual treat' outta the movie. Wacko 

But eeh, the real point I wanted to but forgot to make is, the debate has gotten deviated, people. Ermm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top