DOTW - 9th Feb - 16th Feb 2013

Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Hey friends πŸ€—

I am back with the DOTW this week.. πŸ˜ƒ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Faith Vs Superstition~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have just finished a small track about a fraud Godman and the need to stay away from superstitions.. But we all know that in reality, superstitions and faith go hand in hand with each other. We do what we were taught like Alka used the Kajal because her Naani used it for other kids before.

The other point also arises. Are all superstitions wrong. Maybe not. There are a few that came into existence due to a reason. Like when the Tsunami came, it is said that there is a small village near Phuket, where people went to high rises because there was a saying that was handed over through generations to them.. " When the sea goes in, you go up"

Didn't that superstition/saying save lives?

So where do we draw the line between the two. What do we do when we see someone steeped in superstition doing the wrong thing?

The post is all yoursπŸ˜›

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Xarina thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Nice topic Harini. 😊.
The way I see it superstitions come in two forms.  Some superstitions are based on fact as you have stated above.  When the tide goes out, move to higher ground.  This is a common occurance during a tsunami and it is something that holds some truth when it occurs out of character so to speak.  But this would be a phenomenom (can't spell today) and maybe not a superstition, as is the silence in the air before a storm or before a bomb going off (don't askπŸ˜†). πŸ˜• 

Top UK superstitions and the reason for them:

1.  Black cats are unlucky - Handed down from the times when people believed in witches and these were their companions.  Many thought that the witches turned into cats at times.

2.  Break a mirror, seven years bad luck - circulated in the times when mirrored glass was very expensive and only the rich used to have them.  If a servant broke one, it would take them seven years to pay back the cost to the owner of the mirror from their salary.

3.  Bad luck to walk under ladders - speaks for itself.  If you walk under a ladder something may fall on you.  So it will be bad luck if you walked under one and something fell on you.

4: Magpies = The song goes "one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl and four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told.  Many people view a single magpie as a bad omen and will go through certain rituals to avert any bad luck coming their way.  The fact behind this is, apparently, magpies mate for life and so to see a solitary one means that it has lost its mate.

There are many other supersititions doing the rounds.  Sometimes you have to sift out what the truth is. 
I am not clued up on cultural superstitions so forgive me if I seem a bit niave but those that I have heard about, mostly after childbirth, would only relate to the happenings and circumstances at that particular time.  As the world has evolved, so have we.  So why do many people still give revelance to this superstitions?
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
I have no idea why there are people who hang on to certain superstitions that are pretty much not along times at all.

A beautiful list  Xarina. I have a couple.

1. Don't sew after dark - This would certainly have applied to the time when there were no lights and hence sewing in the dark would not just mean mistakes but also pin pricksπŸ˜†

2. Passing a knife to another would cut the relationship between the two - I think it was said so that we are careful about passing a very sharp object. A small mistake and it would cut anyone.

Most superstitions I have heard of, have a threat going along with it. The fear is what drives a lot of people to adhere to the tradition and pity that not many questioned or tried to find the real reason behind a lot of superstitions. However with passing time, instead of understanding why something was said, we go about adhering to outdated customs at times.

The one thing that I most abhor is actually shown in SNS. Gopi was considered to be inauspicious or let us say unlucky because of her parents death. This is one superstition I wish had never seen light. Blaming a child for the unhappiness in a family is so cruel.
Urmi tried the same with Meera.

The sad fact is there are many Gopis in real life. I have seen a few. Very sad. So how is it fair to blame another human being of being unlucky to anything? How can they be unlucky? Why do we still go behind some senseless beliefs when we know they are not humane?πŸ˜• Edited by Justlikethat1 - 11 years ago
DEEPZzzz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Nice Topic Harini and awesome reply Xarina.😊 This is my take/observations on this.πŸ˜›

Not sure if you have seen the movie OMG with Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal. This movie is about a man who goes out to fight against God, well in the case of Mother nature, in the incident Mother nature destorys his business and the man fights against the terms a incident related to mother nature and mother nature is God.

The movie goes on about the fight against God and at the portrays a satisfying  message to the viewers about Faith and also superstitions. I recommend to watch if you haven't.

Where as superstitions: there is a few in my list that I fail to believe in too πŸ˜›

1. When your hand is itchy means you are either going to spend money or are going to money in some form.

2. When you foot is itchy mean you are to travel soon.

3. When you coke on food, means someone is taking about you and they remember you. This also applies to hiccups to.

Thats it from me. 

Yes Harini your right their how can you claim something unlucky or lucky this is one thing i fail to understand.

MADHU.BARUN thumbnail
Nice discussion harini! Umm superstitions are actually fun for me (not all) you know what there are many people who actually decide which superstition they should believe.
For instance if you unknowingly do something related to superstition and if it has a good consequence you say you believe it whereas if its wrong consequence you tell your self it was mistake and nothing can happen. People take advantage on these superstitions and earn money too. In india its more common
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Yup Madhu. The fear of something going wrong is one of the huge factors that keep some frauds working even today

The Doongi Baba was a perfect example. All he did was play on Alka's fears for her child. He was able to extract whatever money she had in a matter of minutes.

When people are vulnerable they are ready to give everything to make things right. No wonder we have so many frauds around.

My question is Why would God or any force above us want monetary benefits and deal for better things? Aren't we actually making it look like a business deal between God and ourselves if we do that?
NazimKiDewani thumbnail
awesome topic Harini...

Actually im not behieving in such things.. I believe if ur faith is strong upon ur god then this kinda such things didnt bother u.. Superstition i had laugh on those ppl who does spend their whole money n even house in behind Dhoongi Baba or their is very comman in Indo-Pak.. I saw myself many ppl are prayering them like God.. They have no idea wht they actually did.. Just coz some stupid fake baba give them surity abt that he give them relives from their worries n fears.. 🀒 how foolish n rubbish.. Its just coz lack of education ppl didnt awear abt all this.. thats why they become victim of these baba's hands.. πŸ˜•

like Alka only few things baba said abt her n her child so how she going milte infront him..eventhough she got ready to eat our son some Ash.. Just coz she isnt educated enough.. She have no idea how much this things become dangers fro her baby.. Just coz of few money they played with some innocent ppls.. 😑 just if ppl become awear abt all n most important frome nothing is bigger then God keep faith in it he is only power who do every thing fine n perfect.. Thats my believe.. 😊

munnihyderabad thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I guess this week DOTW has no takers... If you guys are done.. will lock this and we will hold on it for some time and when you have anything interesting do post and we will make it a DOTW for the week ...

Regards
SNS Dev Team 
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Yeah Munni.. Looks like no takersπŸ˜†

I think Deepz is doing DOTW this week😊 Hopefully we get a lot of discussion on thatπŸ˜ƒ
DEEPZzzz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Yeah Munni no talkers and Harini yeah its my turn this wk i actually got something hopefully there will be discussion on that