Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 1:14am | IP Logged
The episode starts off with a recap from the last episode - As Time Goes By, basically reinforcing the whole deal with the Men of Letters and that their knowledge of hundreds of years is actually stored at a place.

In a certain camp (office?) in Belarus in 1994, two soldiers are chatting up while one replaces the other on duty.  The soldier outside is thrown into the window by a giant man.  The officers inside try to hide a book into a briefcase.  The giant breaks down the door and kills most of the men in the room while another man who appears to be the head there is working a spell.  By the time, the giant gets to him, he finishes the spell and disappears while setting the room on fire.

Present day in Kansas, Sam and Dean pull up to a deserted place and Dean asks if anyone's been here lately.  Sam replies not since 60 something years.  Dean takes the key out of a wooden box and opens the door.  They find quite a few pieces of equipment in the room including a telegraph.  A chess set left in mid-game and an half finished cup of coffee tell them that the last person who was holding down the fort most likely left in a hurry.

Dean finds the main board and turns the switches on.  The whole place lights up and they finally notice a library. "Son of a bitch" was Sam's reply, which's funny because it's usually Dean's expression.  Later, Sam's studying the books while Dean enters in a robe. He tells his brother not to go all geek and starts playing with a sword.  Sam tells him that this was a secret society and they probably have an account of a lot of things that are important and that could help them save humanity.  Maybe this is the break they needed.

Somewhere in Pennsylvania, an old man walks in a library and chats with the person at the main desk. The old man mentions something about him being followed while the librarian doesn't believe him.  He asks for a specific book which he gets in a separate cubicle.  He goes through the book and sees some names and information written in columns, which apparently is very important.  Upon returning to the main desk, the old man mentions something about the importance of this book and that it needs to be protected.

The old man rushes out of the library and heads to a bar.  A young suspicious-looking man follows him.  The old man makes a call using a payphone at the bar.  Afterwards, he walks towards the window and starts yelling at an invisible man out there to come in and face him.  Smoke starts coming out of the man's clothes moments before he catches on fire.

Two weeks later, Sam's studying a book at the home base when Dean enters the room and informs Sam that there's still nothing new from Kevin but Garth says hi.  Dean inquires about Cas who apparently is not answering.  While going through the records, Sam has found an important file which he shows to Dean.  There were a group of rabbis who were working against the nazis way back during the second world war.  One of them recently died, apparently catching on fire and spontaneously combusting.  And the boys decide that they have a case.

Sam pretends to have been working with the Rabbi and talks to the librarian inquiring about what the Rabbi was studying the day of his death.  Instead of the real book, Sam gets a book on the birds in North America that was apparently replaced with it.  Dean talks to a couple of girls at the bar where the Rabbi died who tell him that the Rabbi was a very kind old man but he always talked about evil stuff out there and went on and on about Nazi necromancers. They also comment on how the old man just caught on fire by himself and it was like the fire was following him.   Dean notices a guy who's constantly looking at him.  After finishing talking to the girls, Dean walks up to the guy and asks him why he's following him as it's the third time in the day he has seen him.  The man says that he thought that they shared a moment back at the library quad and continues to flirt with Dean, which makes him very, very comfortable.  

Sam and Dean are on the phone when Sam tells him about the bird watching book and that someone's following him.  Dean tells his brother about his encounter with the girls and that he also thought that he was being followed but that turned out to be a gay encounter.  They arrange to meet in a deserted parking lot.  Sam gets there and purposely drops the keys near the car while Dean confronts the stalker behind the bushes that's actually the same giant from 1944. The giant throws Dean in the air who then lands next to the car.  The gay guy from the bar shows up and stops the giant from hurting anyone else.  And it's revealed that it's not really a giant but a golem.

The boys are at the guy's place with the golem.  The guy introduces himself as Aaron, the Rabbi's grandson, and he was only pretending to flirt with Dean to cover up following him.  Aaron tells them that a golem is a thing made of clay that's brought to life to protect the jewish people from atrocities.  Since he's the last surviving descendant of the Initiative, he inherited the golem from his grandfather.  

Sam says something about the Initiative and the golem asks him how he know about it. Sam explains that their grandfather was a Man of Letters and that's how they know about it.  Sam and Dean explain their family and hunting while Aaron tells them that he never paid much attention in Hebrew school and the little he knows is from the stories his grandfather told him, which he didn't pay much attention to either.  The golem has been urging Aaron to take charge but he doesn't know how as the golem didn't exactly come with a manual.  Aaron also tells the boys about a voicemail he got from his grandfather with a weird "equation." Sam quickly realizes that that's actually a call number for a book at the library.

Dean picks the lock to the main door at the library while Aaron asks, "What, do you two just break in wherever you go?"  And Dean replies, "Our dad wanted us to have a solid career to fall back on just in case this "hunter" thing didn't work out."LOL Sam runs up the stairs to get the book.  He finds it following the call number and a moment later he's shot in the neck with a poisoned dart.  Sam immediately starts losing control and the area on his neck starts bruising big time.  The man who was shown following the Rabbi appears and demands that Sam turn over the book. Sam throws a cart at him and runs down the stairs.  Aaron is hit by the dart in the stomach and falls on the floor when Dean tells the golem to find the guy who did this or Sam and Aaron will die.  The golem runs up the stairs, finds the man and brings him down the stairs.  A moment later, the golem snaps the Nazi man's neck and the magic is reversed.

While Aaron is still recovering in the car, Sam and Dean dig up a grave and burn the body.  Aaron thinks that they are psychopaths.  Later on at Aaron's place, Sam confirms that it's some special book they're dealing with.  Apparently, the nazis kept track of all of their magical experiments in this book.  Sam realizes that the golem was there at the time and the golem confirms that that's exactly where he was created.  Sam then asks him what he means when he asks Aaron to take charge and the golem just says that he would know if he consulted the pages. Aaron, feeling guilty, tells them he did have a manual with instructions but way back in his rebellious years, he smoked the pages as rolling paper.  

Sam explains that the Nazis were conducting magical experiments to bring back their dead soldiers.  The pages list names of all the soldiers they brought back from the dead.  The bodies need to be burned within 12 hours after being killed or they come back to life.

Two Nazis go up to the library where one guy, who appears to be the boss, realizes that a golem killed their accomplice by finding some clay on the stacks.  While Sam is researching ways to destroy the golem, Aaron tells them that even though he isn't happy with the golem, it's his decision whether or not he wants to do away with him. Dean tells Aaron that they will take the right if needed be while Sam reminds him that the golem was created for war which he was not trained for, so who knows what he might do especially if Aaron can't control him.  

Right then, the Nazis break in.  The boss turns off the golem by saying a command in Hebrew.  The golem drops a small roll of parchment in the nazis' hand.  The Nazi then tells Aaron that in order to own the golem, one has to write his name on the scroll.  The Nazi demands the book and both Sam and Dean blatantly refuse to give anything to the nazi at all.  Aaron grabs a block of wood and hits the accomplice nazi.  The boss is unhappy but says that they could kill him but they wouldn't be able to stop the movement.  Sam and Dean go for the head shot while Dean says that it's a start.

Our boys and Aaron return at night (apparently after burning the bodies of the Nazis) and find the golem still frozen at the same spot.  Adam decides to do what he's supposed to do and writes his name on the scroll. The golem awakens and finally is happen with Aaron taking charge.

Back at home base, Dean finds Sam in the library again surrounded by books.  Sam tells him that he's archiving the book.  Dean pours them both a drink and says that it's a good thing that Sam is now a Man of Letters.  He sits across Sam and puts his feet up on the table to relax while Sam continues to work with his books.  They raise a silent toast to each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though both are excellent hunters, Sam's always been more of the brains and Dean the brawn. So Dean is a real hunter in true sense and Sam's a Man of Letters.  This is exactly why the boys make an excellent team.  They are the best of the Winchesters and Campbells.

I personally loved the way our boys shunned the Nazis.  The overall theme of the episode was grim but it was handled with a comic touch.  I liked it.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

akkiiiiisayanti_ashiuvchhiltrahmona_paksweherms_angelepiphany.Ephemera

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "8X13 - Everybody Hates Hitler - Written Update" in Supernatural forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

herms_angel

IF-Sizzlerz

herms_angel

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 2:56am | IP Logged
Not many people liked this episode 'cause it had nothing related to the main arc but I liked it. Embarrassed It was kinda out of the blue but it did ascertain few facts for me, that Sam's always been more of the brain and Dean, the brawn. That's why they make an excellent team, 'cause they're the best of Men of Letters and Hunters. :)  Also, I was quite pleased to see that they actually have a 'home' now, a proper place where they can live. And what a place to stay actually! Wasn't the set awesomeCool

I loved Dean's and Sam's reactions to the Golem. 

'What the hell is that?'

'We are the good guys'.

^^ ROFL Sam probably thought there couldn't person who is taller and huge than him. And Dean was so scared of him! ROFL

And yes, thank you for WU. :) 

Edited by herms_angel - 09 February 2013 at 2:51am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

sayanti_ashiuv-Mystery-rahmona_paksweEphemera

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by herms_angel

Not many people liked this episode 'cause it had nothing related to the main arc but I liked it. Embarrassed It was kinda out of the blue but it did ascertain few facts for me, that Sam's always been more of the brain and Dean, the brawn. That's why they make an excellent team, 'cause they're the best of Men of Letters and Hunters. :)  Also, I was quite pleased to see that they actually have a 'home' now, a proper place where they can live. And what a place to stay actually! Wasn't the set awesomeCool

Absolutely agree with what you said in bold. I'm actually really happy with the whole aspect of Men of Letters, puts everything in perspective.. kinda completes the circle.

I too love it that finally they have a home base.  Dean keeps making fun of Sam on geeking out but I think he too is happy to have a place like that finally.  The set was pretty good, had a homey feel to it.  So much knowledge in more than capable hands, I can't wait to see where the writers take this.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

rahmona_paksweherms_angelEphemera

herms_angel

IF-Sizzlerz

herms_angel

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 1:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

Absolutely agree with what you said in bold. I'm actually really happy with the whole aspect of Men of Letters, puts everything in perspective.. kinda completes the circle.

I too love it that finally they have a home base.  Dean keeps making fun of Sam on geeking out but I think he too is happy to have a place like that finally.  The set was pretty good, had a homey feel to it. So much knowledge in more than capable hands, I can't wait to see where the writers take this.
I didn't expect the writers to come up with something like this. I was wondering what they will show us if there will be season 9 and 10 or may be more (hopefully! Embarrassed) and this Men of Letters aspect can be doorway to a lot of interesting things, so I am excited as well. :)

-Mystery-rahmona_paksweEphemera

rahmona_pakswe

IF-Sizzlerz

rahmona_pakswe

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged
Thanks for the WU! Hug

IMO a very good episode. Didn't have much to do with current storyline but it was still very interesting. They handled a difficult subject delicately and with added humour.

Golem played by John DeSantis is 6'9"!!! Shocked Read more about him here:

-Mystery-herms_angelEphemera

Ephemera

IF-Sizzlerz

Ephemera

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged
@mahi darling thanks for the WUHug

i think the writers are setting the stage up for season 9...i mean i guess the Crowleys and the Noamis will take a back seat next season when there will be more of men of letters versus the thules and what nots..may be may be they will team up with this golem and his master once again?? and what about the demons who are trusted servants and loyals of lucifer still out there??

i mean last episode there was this abbedon who was/is a knight hand picked by lucifer..so that also means we might see or hear more about lucifer in the coming episodes or next season...as lucifer was dealt with in only one season when doing away with Lucifer is not that easy..IMO 

and i PERFECTLY agree with you that its THE BEST COMBO of Intelligence and Bravery...brain and brawn..books and weapon ...and no wonder Dean protects sam with his life...you know weapon guarding the book...or more so...knowledge is being guarded by strength agility courage and bravery ?? i hope i made sense...Confused

and i just LOVED the new setEmbarrassed and that brandishing of sword and child like play of dean in grey bathrobeLOL
to me the last shot is what you call perfect brother shot..dean sitting with legs up on table drinking..sam pouring over scores of pagesLOL

-Mystery-rahmona_paksweherms_angel

herms_angel

IF-Sizzlerz

herms_angel

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged
Not that I expect them to have a huge wardrobe collection given their job but it was still refreshing to see them in new outfits.  I love when we get these small brother bonding moments that often go neglected, like Sam and Dean raising a silent toast in the end. Embarrassed

Edited by herms_angel - 10 February 2013 at 2:00am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

rahmona_paksweEphemera

Ephemera

IF-Sizzlerz

Ephemera

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged
yeah husna after a long time i saw dean in offwhite check shirt LOL

and also the suit sam wore while he was investigating at the library..he looked serious "man of letters" kinda...LOL

and the little brother bonding when dean said about showers and allLOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

rahmona_paksweherms_angel

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.