Mahabharatham - Story & discussion!!DT note on pg-7 - Page 4

Posted: 10 years ago
wohh thanks a lot. will be back tomorrow to read again properly before replying.
Haven't watched this week's episode as I was travelling. Trying to watch it on youtube but can't get it. I will browse and see whether I can get it,
Thanks karthika do take your time. Btw love your siggy lolz!!

Hehehe, thanks Ratna...it is a line from a song that is being played on radio and sung by a  guy actually. I just changed it to suit me as I think it describes me 100%, 😃

EPISODE 19  - we are one week behind India.

This episode interchanges between Hastinapura (Pandu's kingdom) and Mathura (Kamsa's kingdom)

Mathura: Episode starts with Vasudeva and Devaki being led, chained, to their jail. Kamsa walks in and calls to Devaki mockingly. Devaki  asks him why is he torturing her and how long is this going to go on? Kamsa says he is not torturing her but protecting his life and it will go on until she delivers his Great Enemy, her eighth son. Vasudeva asks gently "Is this the Kamsar who washed my feet? Who served as a charioteer for us?" Kamsa replies that that was done in ignorance and asks for forgiveness, again mockingly. He then warns them not to escape and tells the guards not to let anyone in or out. He walks out despite Devaki calling after him. ( The actor playing Kamsa is really good. He is arrogant, mocking, sarcastic, evil. He is scarrryyy).

Hastinapura: Vidura gets married. Everyone is happy. He seeks the blessing of Bheeshma. Scene changes. Vyasa and Satyavati are sitting quietly after the festivities. Vyasa tells Satya that she should be pleased now that her responsibilities are over. Satya says no she is not, that she is very sad. Vyasa laughs (Poovilangu Mohan is really good) and says the human heart is never satisfied,,,no matter what they get, men are never happy. Satya says she is ordinary woman, not a yogi and she has her own sadness. V asks her what her sadness is and she says that even though Dhri and Pandu have been married for a few years, they still do not have any children. Vyasa tells her that she is reaping her karma. Satya is puzzled.  Vyasa asks her who should be the King of Hastinapura? She replies it should be Bheeshma. And he says that Bheeshma gave up the throne for her children. Not only that Bheeshma was punished heavily by making him take an oath of brahmachari. Satya says that Bheeshma made those vows willingly. Vyasa disagrees, saying that Satya's father acted selfishly and exacted those terrible vows from Bheeshma. Now Satya is experiencing the backlash. Satya laments saying that is there no escape from this curse? Vyasa says that it is not a curse, just they have to wait longer. He asks Satya to hire many servants as the palace will be crawling with children. Satya is happy. Sakuni overhears the conversation.

Gandhari is praying. She is chanting and throwing flowers. Vyasa is impressed with her devotion. She washes his feet and gives him food. Vyasa is happy with her and asks her what she wants. She starts crying. Vyasa asks her why is she crying? She says because she does  not have any children. Vyasa asks her how many flowers she had used for her prayers. She says 101. Vyasa says she will get 101 sons. Gandhari is happy but in her heart she is saying 101 sons ah? 😲 😆

Mathura: Ugrasena's senior minister comes running to the King and tells him of Kamsa's latest atrocity, i.e. capturing Devaki amd Vasudeva in chains, parading them in the streets and putting them in prison. Ugrasena gets angry and marches out to confront Kamsa, despite the minister's protests.

In court, Kamsa is sitting calmly and eating an orange. He is not concerned when Ugrasena barges in angrily. He gets up and admits that he did imprison Devaki and not only that, he is going to tell him another truth.  He tells Ugrasena that he thought his youngest son died when he fell off a cliff. Flashback: Kamsa is a young prince.  He finds out that his younger brother will be the king. Apparently centuries ago, the then King, who was in his dotage, wanted youth. So he went to his princes and asked them to donate their youth to him.  The eldest prince refused, so did the second. But the youngest prince comes forward and volunteers to donate his youth. Touched by his gesture, the King then makes a decree that from that day, the throne shall be inherited by the youngest prince. Hence, it will not be Kamsa who will be the King, but his youngest brother. 

The following day, Kamsa fools his brother to follow him up the mountains for hunting. He kicks the young boy down the mountains and he dies.

Present day: Ugrasena gets angry and tries to slap Kamsa. Kamsa laughs. Ugrasena then pulls out his sword and Kamsa is gleeful, taunting his father, that he is challenging Kamsa at last. Ugrasena retorts that he does not have to challenge him, that he is the King and calls for the guards. The guards come but they arrest Ugrasena instead. Kamsa gloats.

Hastinapura:  Pandu, Kunti and Madri fall at Vyasa's feet and asks for his blessing. Vyasa blesses them and tells them that they will get five sons with the blessings of the Gods. (ahem). All are happy.

Mathura: Ugrasena is in prison. Kamsa comes in and asks his father lovingly whether he still wants to slap him and keeps his father to slap him. And then his face changes and he has this nasty evil look and then slaps Ugrasena over and over again. He asks him how dare he lift his hand against him in court and tells him that he should remember the humiliation of being slapped. Ugrasena asks him is that the gratitude he shows his father? Kamsa then asks him angrily and rudely is he his father? His father is an asura and has told him the truth of his birth. He walks off and Ugrasena sits down, thinking of the slaps.

In prison, both Vasudeva and Devaki are lamenting over the death of their baby. (It was so sad. 😭...even with the high-class Tamil, I understood 😆) They decide that they are not going to have children and just focus on Lord Narayana instead. So they start praying and meditating.

Hastinapura: Pandu is restless. His brother does not want to step down the throne. Sakuni in another room is also very upset, because his plans to kill Pandu off failed. Not only Pandu has returned, he returned with much pomp and success. Sakuni is really agitated and keeps thinking and finally comes up with an idea to send Pandu off to the forest.

Pandu decides that he needs to consult Sakuni 🤢 although Kunti warns him not to do it (Since when men listen to women??) and like the mouse that falls into the trap, walks into Sakuni's clutches. Sakuni then pretends to be aghast on behalf of Pandu re: Dhri's behaviour and tells him to insist that Dhri gives up the throne. Pandu leaves and as he is leaving, Sakuni tells his servant (Vyapuri) very loudly that he feels like going to the forest to get peace of mind. Pandu stops and tells him that he wants to go instead.

Sakuni is gleeful.

Continues.

I love this show. Only it is a bit long. The sentamizh used is another point that may not attract young people. Acting is good. I like the actor who acts as Kamsa. He is damn good. 👏 Can't wait for Krishna to kill him - must do it slowly and painfully. 😆

Edited by Karthikka - 10 years ago
hahah 101 son was comedy!

Am little by little trying to follow the story ... been reading some online stuff about this history. Thanks karthika for the updates. Oh yeah i guess as usual we are a week behind from india!

No worries. After all, the Mahabharatham is the longest epic in the world, longer than Homer's Illiad and Odyssey combined. I loved running my Greek friends' noses in it.
indeed its very very old. watching the episodes confuses me more. Recently i had to Google out to find out some things from there. I remember asking my mother last week and she went on and on and i was clueless on what she was saying. I really need to make sure i know about it just in case if my kids ask me bout it 😛
Ask me. I will see where I can help.

If ever I can get some books, I'll try and get for you. Oh, oh, I remembered. R. K. Narayan (my favourite Indian writer; Southie somemore) has written two extremely readable books on Mahabharatha and Ramayana. Try and get them.
Originally posted by hopper_ocean

indeed its very very old. watching the episodes confuses me more. Recently i had to Google out to find out some things from there. I remember asking my mother last week and she went on and on and i was clueless on what she was saying. I really need to make sure i know about it just in case if my kids ask me bout it 😛

u can read the mahabharatam book written by rajaji(Rajagopalachari) in tamil... it states the overall story in simple and pleasent way...
Thanks karthikka and Devna for the information. Am planning to start soon on this.