Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

whatthewhat thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: Aalia_A

You know QH is my first ever Indian telly show and I was in for one hell of a rude shock. I watched it expecting something positive, empowering and normal to do with Muslim families but the abuse and atrocities thrown at Zoya so early in the show really put me off it. My heart went out to her, because like her I am a educated Muslim girl, born and brought up in a Muslim country. And Muslim families are nowhere like the ones depicted in this show. Then thanks to the wonderful like-minded people in the forum I got to know that what was being shown is what 4Lions do best. Still, I was ready to tolerate it, for the sake of it is a show that I probably will not be watching too long. But that slap yesterday. The brutality of its deliverance and the blase attitude and endorsement of the majority of the forum towards the unwarranted action made me decide that this is enough. I'm going to register my views regardless of whether people wanna hear them or not. I may not be in this forum for long but for the time I'm here, I will make sure I make it count. 

@red:

You know I've been cynical about the Muslim background from the beginning. From what I've watched of the show, all they have done is to show that Muslim TV families are just like all the other (Hindu) TV families - dysfunctional, full of intrigue and scheming and plotting, victimized women, spineless men...the only difference is that here they say allah hafiz and in other shows they say Jai Shree Krishna...big difference...

For those who need to be told that we are really no different  - I guess that's better than nothing!

Pardon my cynicism...

@blue: You go girl! 👏
Edited by narangi314 - 11 years ago
adeeti10 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: rvarier

The slap was totally unjustified and should never have been shown on TV.

The only time violence is justified is for self-defence. I feel that slaps are shown very easily in television and violence is shown to build sexual tension. Abusive scenes are shown to demonstrate sexual chemistry which is absolutely not acceptable,

The slap was wrong, but even now Asad does not  show any remorse for his action. He will show it when he realizes that Zoya was not responsible for his mother's injury.

Can we justify violence becox someone is angry or upset? Then the same goes for Mariam's family, who believed that Zoya was responsible and they are angry and they tried to harm her.

Hey there, join the minority club!

I completely get you. The sad part is pretty much everyone else thinks he was justified. Probably cos its Asad. Like someone said, if anyone else had raised a hand on Zoya, people would have screamed hoarse about violence! 

Laila2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: narangi314

The problem with the definition of domestic violence that many people are having just shows how ignorant people are of the law. There doesn't have to be a romantic (!) or marital or familial relationship between the abuser and the abused. That's what the PWDVA act of 2005 did - expand the scope! "Domestic" means having a shared household! 

Anyway, did you see the Sataymev Jayate episode on domestic violence? It was the second episode I think. It's worth watching to get a sense of how pervasive and casual it is and how it cuts across all communities and socio-economic groups. 

Excellent points. I cannot imagine the endless number of posts from people who tried to educate us on what was domestic violence and what it meant. Despite repeated attempts to explain ti does not have to a be marriage - it simply includes people in the same household - they did not get it. 

A key point on the Sataymev Jayate episode was a man who believed that he was only a man if he bullied and beat his wife.  I wish that we could explain and educate to people that a man is not  man when he belittles or hits a woman - it is not sexy, masculine or a turn on. Asad actually looks worse as a result of this act. 
Aalia_A thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: narangi314

@red:

You know I've been cynical about the Muslim background from the beginning. From what I've watched of the show, all they have done is to show that Muslim TV families are just like all the other (Hindu) TV families - dysfunctional, full of intrigue and scheming and plotting, victimized women, spineless men...the only difference is that here they say allah hafiz and in other shows they say Jai Shree Krishna...big difference...

Pardon my cynicism...

@blue: You go girl! 👏

Yeah I was very naive. But then I was new to the twisted and cheap ways of Indian telly 🤢 And no you are not cynical at all, you speak the truth. Salaam kehne se aur chaar lafz urdu ke bolne se koi show Muslim nahi hota. After soo long they showed Zoya praying... QH should have at least one namaz scene a week for it to count as a Muslim show. 

And credit should really go to wonderful and inspiring people such as Priyanka, Laila, AshRun and others who dare to make posts that ask the hard questions. If what is shown and glorified does not feel right in our conscience the least we can do is support them. That is what I'm doing. 

Aalia_A thumbnail
Originally posted by: Laila2009

Excellent points. I cannot imagine the endless number of posts from people who tried to educate us on what was domestic violence and what it meant. Despite repeated attempts to explain ti does not have to a be marriage - it simply includes people in the same household - they did not get it. 

A key point on the Sataymev Jayate episode was a man who believed that he was only a man if he bullied and beat his wife.  I wish that we could explain and educate to people that a man is not  man when he belittles or hits a woman - it is not sexy, masculine or a turn on. Asad actually looks worse as a result of this act. 

This reminds me of something we used to learn and chant in pre-school and grade one - Real Men Don't Hit Women. Ergo, as a result of my childhood lessons, I can now concur that Asad is no longer a Real Man. Let alone a masculine one 😆 *ducks*
Laila2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Aalia_A

I'm honestly surprised that many threads which had the most insightful and civilized discussions going on were closed 😕 Anyways I'm making it a point to report every pro-slap and drooling-over-the-hotness-of the-slap threads because they should not be open either. It thoroughly escapes me why we cannot have a mature critical discussion on this forum 👎🏼

I am so at a loss at those threads especially one that even suggested that Zoya looked like she liked the slap and smiled. I do not know what this person was thinking - to think this came from a woman. 🤢
Nice to see that not all pankhis are akkal se paidal and they are able to see things in a bigger picture than just blind devotion, and are speaking out on such blatant disregard for human life and its liberty.

Enjoying the show for its entertainment value and drawing the line on where it stops is integral to our community if we are looking to break out of the stigma that haunts our society.
whatthewhat thumbnail
Originally posted by: Laila2009

I was quite shocked at the level of ignorance. Then I was just amused...I mean, seriously?!

However, I did admire your patience in explaining to people! I just don't have the patience. The expanded scope of "domestic" has been discussed to death in newspapers, on TV channels...

Indian TV shows have a very warped way of portraying masculinity and femininity...that's the trouble! I cannot think of Asad as a romantic hero now. I just *might* have been able to forgive him if they had handled the apology in a mature way...but no...it's going to be lame and I have no patience with that either...

Aalia_A thumbnail
Originally posted by: TheBoss

Nice to see that not all pankhis are akkal se paidal and they are able to see things in a bigger picture than just blind devotion, and are speaking out on such blatant disregard for human life and its liberty.

Enjoying the show for its entertainment value and drawing the line on where it stops is integral to our community if we are looking to break out of the stigma that haunts our society.

@Bold Please know that I am mentally cheering you 👏
whatthewhat thumbnail
Originally posted by: TheBoss

Absolutely! 

And not all of us are pankhis btw...😊 I have no special feelings regarding any actor...I, like many women on this thread, got attracted to the show for Zoya's character...

Edited by narangi314 - 11 years ago