Qubool Hai

Discuss about THE SLAP Here! NO New Topics! (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 56

narangi314

IF-Dazzler

narangi314

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged
So I would really like to discuss the portrayal of Zoya:

I got interested in the show because of Zoya. Finally I felt like here is a character that is modern, progressive, liberal...as a matter of fact just NORMAL! Like someone I might actually know and be friends with!

Initially I was a little amused that she had to be American. Forget the plot reasons, but it seemed as though such a modern woman could only be American! Of course that isn't true. I know plenty of Indian women who have never left India, but are modern, progressive, independent...who have successful careers, families, wear jeans and saris with equal ease...just ordinary women.

But it seems like in the serial world, such women are extraordinary - and have to come from another country!

The stereotypical heroine of Hindi shows -  cringing, sacrificing, crying, long-suffering - I honestly do not know anyone like that. I find them SO difficult to relate to. Which is why I give up on Hindi shows very quickly. I think that the typical heroine of a Hindi show is a pure fantasy...Someone in another forum once told me that I did not know the reality of small town India. That might be true.  I am willing to accept that I know very little about small towns and almost nothing about villages.

By promoting a certain warped understanding of femininity, these shows are doing a great disservice to women. I really hope they don;t turn Zoya into one of these!

What do you guys think?

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnpniharika111-tehreem-adeeti10Rupunzale...Tanu...Laila2009ssroomani

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Discuss about THE SLAP Here! NO New Topics! (Page 3)" in Qubool Hai forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Rupunzale

IF-Dazzler

Rupunzale

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by narangi314

Originally posted by Rupunzale

Many are stigmatizing us ( ppl talking against violence) by saying that ...we are somewhere supporting a woman hitting a man...

Please let me explain ...none of my friends nor me have ever supported violence against a man...

We are voicing against Violence...it doesn't matter whether its against a man or a woman...

Violence is unacceptable period. 

But that is totally illogical! 
i know right. I really don't know what to say...I am trying to find out how to report such a discrimination.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

adeeti10narangi314

Rupunzale

IF-Dazzler

Rupunzale

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged

So I would really like to discuss the portrayal of Zoya:

I got interested in the show because of Zoya. Finally I felt like here is a character that is modern, progressive, liberal...as a matter of fact just NORMAL! Like someone I might actually know and be friends with!

Initially I was a little amused that she had to be American. Forget the plot reasons, but it seemed as though such a modern woman could only be American! Of course that isn't true. I know plenty of Indian women who have never left India, but are modern, progressive, independent...who have successful careers, families, wear jeans and saris with equal ease...just ordinary women.

But it seems like in the serial world, such women are extraordinary - and have to come from another country!

The stereotypical heroine of Hindi shows -  cringing, sacrificing, crying, long-suffering - I honestly do not know anyone like that. I find them SO difficult to relate to. Which is why I give up on Hindi shows very quickly. I think that the typical heroine of a Hindi show is a pure fantasy...Someone in another forum once told me that I did not know the reality of small town India. That might be true.  I am willing to accept that I know very little about small towns and almost nothing about villages.

By promoting a certain warped understanding of femininity, these shows are doing a great disservice to women. I really hope they don;t turn Zoya into one of these!

What do you guys think?
wonderfully said...you are so right about portraying her as an American...it was really not needed...I have relatives in India who are extremely strong and independent women who runs the family and work equally well. 

I have always loved Zoya from the very first epi and she is the reason I am still willing to read the updates...but I am really disappointed that she still decided to stay back and forgive him.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

mahalaxmikadeeti10...Tanu...Laila2009

narangi314

IF-Dazzler

narangi314

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rupunzale

hi naraangi ( sorry , don't know your name)...i am Priyanka...I recently read an article in Huffington post about " marital rape" still considered as controversial in India...honestly,I am not shocked. Can you imagine a woman being blamed for been raped...there has been numerous cases where they said the woman asked for it because she was inappropriately dressed or she was drunk or she was the one who accompanied  the rapist. People still don't get the idea that it doesn't matter how she was dressed or she was alone or not or she was drunk... If she says NO to sex...it's rape... It falls in the marital rape laws too.

Did you know  some think that Slapping doesn't fall in the category of violence and think that to define domestic violence the woman and man has to be romantically involved...? 

Hi Priyanka! I'm Mira Smile

Yes it's true unfortunately. The Verma committee which was constituted after the Delhi gang rape has made some really far reaching suggestions to the Govt., incuding on marital rape. But they are yet to implement. Rape laws in India are woefully inadequate.

I'm not surprised by the ignorance here...That's why I posted about the 2005 PWADV act. Hopefully some people can now educate themselves about what "domestic" means! The idea that dom. violence happens between romantic or married couples is beyond antiquated.

What really scares me is how ill-informed people are. I live in the US, but I keenly follow social justice issues in India. I grew up there and it will always be home. But I am shocked that so many people living in India are not aware of the developments in law and social justice. There is enough being reported about this in newspapers and TV!!

Edited by narangi314 - 05 February 2013 at 8:26pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

adeeti10Rupunzale...Tanu...Laila2009ssroomani

Aalia_A

Aalia_A

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged
During the course of my hitting-the-report-button spree, I came across a million drooling posts on Asad. This considering that he already has an AT. And none of those threads get closed. Are they not cluttering the forum? Ermm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnpadeeti10Rupunzalenarangi314...Tanu...Laila2009

narangi314

IF-Dazzler

narangi314

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aalia_A

During the course of my hitting-the-report-button spree, I came across a million drooling posts on Asad. This considering that he already has an AT. And none of those threads get closed. Are they not cluttering the forum? Ermm

I LOVE you for this! Hug 

You know as much as I am disheartened by the casual way many took the slap, the "justifications", even the laughter (Confused) and the drooling (Dead)...I am SO heartened that I have also met people like you and Laila and Priyanka and many many more! It gives me hope!

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnpAalia_Aadeeti10...Tanu...Laila2009

Rupunzale

IF-Dazzler

Rupunzale

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged

no they are fine with it...I guess they just have problem with the people who are actually trying to have a mature conversation on an important issue.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Aalia_Aadeeti10narangi314Laila2009

Aalia_A

Aalia_A

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged

I LOVE you for this! Hug 

You know as much as I am disheartened by the casual way many took the slap, the "justifications", even the laughter (Confused) and the drooling (Dead)...I am SO heartened that I have also met people like you and Laila and Priyanka and many many more! It gives me hope!

Same here. Everyday I think of quitting this forum looking at the sorry state of its affairs but I always come across threads that give me faith and compels me to stay on and get our views heard, even if we be the minority. As long as I find mature posters here, I will stay. And thank you Embarrassed

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

adeeti10narangi314Laila2009

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Qubool Hai Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.