Was J.P. Dutta's UMRAO JAAN really that BAD????

Posted: 11 years ago
😭  Something I still don't understand to this day.  J.P. Dutta has not made a film since his remake of Umrao Jaan bombed back in 2006.  What has he been up to?  He was going to make another war film, no.  He is talented at making a period film.  The critics were to harsh on this movie.  It is way better than most of the trash that has released in the last five years.  Ash was very real in this movie.  I cried when I saw her performance and she lived the role.  Obviously, the fault was with the critics comparing her to Rekha.  Ash portrayed Umrao Jaan beautifully in her own right.  I feel this movie is so much better than HDDCS, Devdas, Jodhaa Akbar, Guru, even Raincoat from a performance perspective.  Also, Abhishek and the supporting cast were adequate.  There were to many songs and the movie dragged somewhat.  But, it is an almost perfect film.  The movie moves at a slow place, but it wasn't really a commercial film.  And what happened to Alka Yagnik?  She was frustrated the soundtrack didn't get the appreciation it deserved.  I think people are to harsh even to this day.   I have actually watched this movie so many times that my DVD got ruined.  πŸ˜†   Why didn't the movie get its proper due?  And we all say Aish excels in period movies.  Why didn't Umrao Jaan work for her?  It was the best female performance of 2006, leagues ahead of Dhoom 2.  πŸ˜• Please share your thoughts...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

noorsand thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 3
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/JP-Dutta-working-on-two-sequels-to-Border/Article1-914538.aspx
After 15 years, director JP Dutta announced on August 15 that he's keen on making not one, but two sequels to the super-successful Border. The film is still remembered for its patriotic theme and the legendary song Sadeshe Aate Hain. "I am working on both Border 2 and Border 3. But I 
can't reveal much about them right now. I've to sort out certain vital issues before I can go public with my plans. But yes, it's August 15 and I remember my late brother Deepak who was in the air force. All my war films are dedicated to him," the director who last directed Umrao Jaan in 2006, told Mumbai Mirror.

"JP hasn't directed a film in a long time. He had been struggling to put together two war epics - Border 2 and 3. Also, he lost his father O P Dutta last year. Thus far, the senior Dutta had been writing all his films. With him gone, JP had to find his way through the lives of the many characters that will be a part of the two Border films. Each film is budgeted at approximately Rs. 65 crore," a source close to the project informed the tabloid.

Dutta is now acquiring the necessary permissions.

Shayu. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
yes its bad coz of only aishwaryaπŸ˜›
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: WhipCreamPantie

I have actually watched this movie so many times that my DVD got ruined.  πŸ˜†   

πŸ˜²πŸ˜†

R u ok now?

Originally posted by: -Radhe-

πŸ˜²πŸ˜†

R u ok now?

I like period films bhai.  πŸ˜³   I am not okay.  πŸ˜†
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail

I like period films bhai.  πŸ˜³   I am not okay.  πŸ˜†

So jodha akbar might be ur another fav., right as it has both of your fav. stars.

Originally posted by: -Radhe-

So jodha akbar might be ur another fav., right as it has both of your fav. stars.

Yes, that movie is heaven for me.  πŸ˜‰  Hrithik-Aish is a hot pair.  But, nothing beats Salman-Aish in HDDCS!!!!!!
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail

But, nothing beats Salman-Aish in HDDCS!!!!!!

EPIC, The Best jodi ever πŸ‘πŸΌ...
WhiteNights thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
To be honest, I actually did like the movie very much and surprised myself with it. I watched it on TV though and did not have much expectations from it as it had already been panned by critics and had failed at BO too. Plus I am not even a huge fan of Aish and the pair of Aish and Abhishek I find so boring that they put me to sleep. So, i was pleasently surprised myself as i really loved the movie and especially Aish's performance was brilliant. I too cried. She was that convincing for me.
It is also another thing that I dont like Rekha much and think she is overrated. I guess the critics went too harsh on Aish and JP Dutta.
Silent85 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
The movie is not bad by any means, the only negative factor was that it was to long, to many songs and some really lengthy scenes, otherwise it was a good movie with huge emotional impact.

Aishwarya was brilliant from the first scene to the last, her last closeup (during end credits) stayed with me after I had left the cinema, she was so real with her emotions.  

If this movie was edited better it would have been much better but still its watchable. Great role for Ash in her kitty. And great great songs, Salaam and Bitya are on of my personal favs actually the whole album is really fab.