Debate Mansion

If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 27

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheTruth

Sure, it's a no-brainer that western countries are more advanced and offer a much much better lifestyle. Also, regarding people working harder... well, they don't have to if they don't want to LOL Definitely the amount of money and luxury that you get for the number of hours you put in here (in the USA, anyway) is much more than what you would get for the same in India. 

The quality of life (or lack thereof) in India (and I am strictly talking about material things) is not at all comparable to the western countries. Now, if you are talking about family support system... it's a different story.

I do not have any data on suicide rates - if you do, please share.

It all comes down to money eh. Someone once said having money isn't everything, not having it is. LOL

The way I see it, the dollar doesn't go too far anymore with the way cost of living trends are going. How many people do you think own a fully paid off home, paid off cars, have no student loans, and still manage to have some savings put away while taking some nice vacations? The highest paying jobs right out of college start at around 80k. Making 6-7,000 a month doesn't get you too far here. So yes, there are more luxuries out here but most of us have to work decades to enjoy them. (I should add-on the flipside, I have family members back in the motherland living the middle-class life, who keep help, drivers, cooks and individual nannies for their kids...go figure)

It's a common misconception people have in India that if they work hard enough, they too can live the life of the rich and famous, quickly and easily.

LOL Right, they don't have to work hard if they don't want to...but if betterment was the reason all along, then they need to come prepared to work til it hurts. I've seen many cases where people end up returning to India/Pakistan because they're not used to the stressful lifestyle here. 

Here's a map of suicide rates you can play around with. Besides physically western places,  look at countries such as Japan where becoming "westernized" was the ultimate goal. 

http://chartsbin.com/view/prm

Edited by McNinja - 28 February 2013 at 12:57pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Vintage.Winecharminggenie

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged

The scandals are abundant too and on a much higher scale than anywhere else ...

Well now to the REAL point ..Whats wrong with earning 10 times higher than in India ? ..Nothing wrong I say if you can afford a maid, have no debt and there are people to fill up your cars with gas ...If you are compairing the people from the same educational background ..and experience ...I don't think the wages in India are at such a dismal, paltry level these days ..And even if we make perfunctory assumptions, my contention is whats the fun in earning 10 times more and spending 20 times more than what you do back home ?  Even when there is no notable difference in the quallity of the similar services offered in the western nations ? That doesn't make much economical sense either .. Let aside the pockets of  racial discrimination, a bit of cringing and need for a servile approach that one might notice  in the first few days of migration...So much so that you get accustomed to it and stop feeling it eventually.. 

Vintu ... Tongue

[/QUOTE]
where exactly is racial discrimination?.. back home our own people discriminate each other.. have you seen how rich treat poor? south treat north and vice-versa.. then communities.. where else do you have dalits in the world.. we treat our own people same way as white used to treat black 100 of years ago

Vintage.Winecharminggenie

Vintage.Wine

Goldie

Vintage.Wine

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lonely0planet

where exactly is racial discrimination?.. back home our own people discriminate each other.. have you seen how rich treat poor? south treat north and vice-versa.. then communities.. where else do you have dalits in the world.. we treat our own people same way as white used to treat black 100 of years ago

@ Bold  :  Where exatly?  Its everywhere the humans live ...May be as close to us as the next door ? LOL ..Go down south and there is this Aboriginal outcry over the deprivation they feel in everyday life, At work or at schools.  Go up north and see what people have to say about Billy boys. Then Black people, White people, Mexicans, Asians, just too many stereotypes ...LOL ..Then Rednecks, Hillibilies , are they racists ? ...Tongue

Rich versus Poor is the funniest.  There is a lotta history to that ..Smile ..Remember " Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" <<<<<< Hahaha ..Aww ...LOL ..Btw ...I ain't racist like that hun! ...I treated myself very well when I was poor ..and I treat myself just as well even now, after becoming rich ..Blushing

Vintu ...Tongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanet

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by TheTruth

Originally posted by McNinja

The way I see it, the dollar doesn't go too far anymore with the way cost of living trends are going. 

If you think a dollar does not go too far, what do you think of a rupee? 

Well, that's what I'm saying. If the rupee isn't doing much, neither is the dollar. I don't believe in the notion that having dollars in hand will make life any easier for you.

Originally posted by McNinja

Here's a map of suicide rates you can play around with. Besides physically western places,  look at countries such as Japan where becoming "westernized" was the ultimate goal.

Sorry, but this is just not verifiable and tangible evidence.  More of an emotional claim. 

I didn't mention suicide as some sort of evidence, rather I was wondering if quality of life were so much better out West, why more people wouldn't be content.

Anyhow, this debate can go in circles. My point wasn't to prove one is better over the other. It's more that the West is overrated...so it's not bad but it's not THAT great either. In my opinion, Eurocentric ideals are a thing of the past. And maybe more people from India are starting to see it that way as well (relating it to the original question posed by TM)

Edited by McNinja - 02 March 2013 at 11:16am

Vintage.Wine

..Athena..

IF-Rockerz

..Athena..

Crazy Creative Baby

Posted: 02 March 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged
I have also migrated from India when I was 3yrs old. My parents came here when my uncle also came here- now I am 14yrs old. So that is most og my life without India. 
Honestly, I have no specific answer to your question, as the answer depends family from family- but the reason why my dad left was due to him wanting more of a future and successful life. 

He was offered a very good job and the bonus was my uncle was already here. So I guess for a better future and life he left India. Now he misses his country and family so much, and sometimes regretleaving, but then he is proud of his descion when he hears the negative things happening in India (eg- Delhi Gang-rape)

Personally I think that people who leave India themselves are confused minds. Though they love India, they hate so many things about it to. There are insane amounts of restrictions, but so much love. There is no hope for any help by politicians, but people with hearts of gold. 

Therefor, in search for a 'perfect' life and to no longer see the negatives of India they leave, but then they end up missing the culture, their families and also the people and festivities- they end up missing the positives of India. 

Edited by Stunning_Sarun - 02 March 2013 at 3:03am

reeha...k

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 02 March 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged
The grass looks greener on the other side Tongue

LovelyPlanet

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 03 March 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

The grass looks greener on the other side Tongue
well said..
there is definitely down side of living away from home.. away from your loved ones..
but our country has too many problems at the mo that you end up choosing to deal with just your own..
My Dadi used to say this quote:

Jeh Sukh Chhajju de Chaware, Naah Bulkh Naah Bakhare

Edited by lonely0planet - 03 March 2013 at 1:57pm

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 03 March 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged
People leave for different reasons .. I can give you one reason, for higher education and better jobs. I am in the software industry and I can tell you for that, its much better in the US. Call me a cynic, but I doubt education and especially research, will ever reach this standard in India.. and I can say that because I work with researchers in India now. 

I can also tell you .. I have peace of mind here. I don't have to worry about society or what people think about me .. I don't see people gossiping everywhere I go. People mind their own damn business! They don't care what I wear or who I talk to or how late I roam around at night! 

And of course climate-wise, I love it here.. I don't live in a city, so I know what fresh air feels like (but then again there are places in India too that are like that, so I won't use that as a comparison)

If you ask me, if I will go back and settle in India? Never. 
But at the same time, I love India.. 'coz that's where my home is.. 'coz my family lives there!

I do see so many people going back.. for family or for money or for health issues. 

Now coming to your question. About your dad pointing it out! Well older generations always talk about back in the day.. and in your case, your dad lived in India when he was your age .. so of course he will bring up India.. but that doesn't mean he prefers India over Canada, if that were the case, he would have gone back! 

reeha...kPhoenixRising

Post Reply New Post

Go to top