Debate Mansion

If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 27

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged
It is very simple, the way I see it. Most of us have the power to change squat about our nation. Hundreds of thousands of things could be going wrong right before our eyes but we won't do anything about it. Those who migrate to foreign countries only go one step further in being totally oblivious to the problems we are facing here in India. My cousins from the US are obsessed with Indian languages, cuisines, clothing and movies. Why? Their parents have trained them that way. India's languages, food, clothes and movies are fascinating and rich. Robberies, rapes and political scams are unfortunately not that fascinating so the parents pride themselves in making the decision of 'leaving the mess at the right time'. Indians are escapists. So, yes, India is very great but we'd all love to leave. Stern Smile 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

reeha...k

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

lol there is no such bollywoodish picture about the west anymore. It's the age of instant media. Folks in India know that life in the West can be as pathetic as life anywhere. And for your information, people in India who are upper middle class and on up have more money than middle class in the West. They own their own homes lock-stock-and-barrel, unlike the middle class in the west who have hocked it to mortgages. Sucks.LOL

The mortgage thing was literally in the US a big part of the 2008 economic collapse, known as "sub prime mortgages" 

So much for instant media. LOL!  Contrary to popular belief, the "West" has many other countries besides the USA. 

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Vintage.Wine

@ TM

Well ..Did the same set of people who said India is great say USA / Europe isn't ( in their own way that is ..) ? ..also why do you think  people like Vasco Da Gama, Columbus traversed the oceans back in time in a quest to reach India ? Because their respective countries were junk places ? Also there are  people who are ready to live in Afghanistan or even Somalia with alacrity if someone promised them great compensation to work there ...

What is greatness in your view ? The prevalent economic situation ? Prosperaity and the flamboyant lifestyle? Earn more and Spend much more and be proud to reel under huge debt kind of a situation ? ..People of enterprising nature travel places for many different reasons ...A few spend their lives plundering egyptian pyramids or scout for lost pieces of history there...A few become activists and devote themselves to some noble cause and salvation serving the poor or socially neglacted people in remote places away from home ..The cause of migration clearly differs from person to person ..and that doesn't mean their nation was an awful place to be ..

The situation keeps changing all the time ..Whats great right now doesn't remain great eternally.. ..Back in time the SUN never set on the British empire ...But now it does ...Phew !! ..LOL..Similarly if you can envisage and look past today's illusive picture .you ll know why people like Mark Faber or Jim Rodgers are so darn bearish on America ..Where even the prolonged, near zero interest rate regime alongwith the stimulus (outta printed money ..) is bearly helping the economy scramble into the positive terrain ...The next Era most definitely won't belong to America and the opportunists would then skite their Chinese speaking skills as they flip the bird at the Now Great nation and be wise nuff to move a few thousand clicks eastwards ...LOL

Vintu ...Smile

I can't stress this enough, and I've mentioned this in the original post: I'm not comparing countries and saying X Y Z is better than A B C; that's not my point- Obviously all nations have their highlights and low lights. 

My point is, individuals- such as my father- who leave their respective countries- whether that be India, China, Canada, the US- suddenly feel this undying loyalty and picturesc nation of their homelands, even though they are working, eating, living, sleeping and using the resources of their adopted nation. It comes off as being a little hypocritical- if the mother land was so great, why'd you leave? And if it's so great now, go back: Why complain? where are your loyalties. Also, I'm not talking about culture, and values or faith- those transcend borders, I'm talking about love for a land. 

I'm assuming to understand the premise of what I'm saying you'd have to be a First generation born something, in order to see the attitude I'm talking about. Again, I'm simply mentioning my father as an example, since that is the one I can relate to. 

Vintage.Wine

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by epiphany.

It is very simple, the way I see it. Most of us have the power to change squat about our nation. Hundreds of thousands of things could be going wrong right before our eyes but we won't do anything about it. Those who migrate to foreign countries only go one step further in being totally oblivious to the problems we are facing here in India. My cousins from the US are obsessed with Indian languages, cuisines, clothing and movies. Why? Their parents have trained them that way. India's languages, food, clothes and movies are fascinating and rich. Robberies, rapes and political scams are unfortunately not that fascinating so the parents pride themselves in making the decision of 'leaving the mess at the right time'. Indians are escapists. So, yes, India is very great but we'd all love to leave. Stern Smile 

Thank you for being honest; this is part of my point as well: There are currently millions who would love to leave India, and that's my point to my father- If things are really so Ideal, why do people still want to leave- this is where the east vs. West notion comes in, because it's not just India (and I think I hit a nerve with many as they interpreted as such- still saying this topic is not meant to be a slight towards a nation, it's just questioning someone's attitude) but China, South America, Africa, etc. I can't comment on the parent's of first generation kids who are from these countries originally, except China, India and certain Latin nations as those are the diaspora's and experiences my friends who are also FG, are familiar with. 

epiphany.

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by reeha...k

The mortgage thing was literally in the US a big part of the 2008 economic collapse, known as "sub prime mortgages" 

So much for instant media. LOL!  Contrary to popular belief, the "West" has many other countries besides the USA. 

wow, that's impressive. seeing how you know about subprime mortgages, maybe now you're gonna teach us about CDOs and CDO squareds and index tranches and correlation products as well. Any chance?LOL

ok, so which "West" do you wanna talk about? The PIGS (as in portugal, iceland, greece, spain)? Or the northern peripherals that have their banks beat up with huge debts? As in Deutsche Bank...

fine, maybe you mean CAD. Doesnt count. That's airspace for guys in the US. LOL

charminggenie

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

wow, that's impressive. seeing how you know about subprime mortgages, maybe now you're gonna teach us about CDOs and CDO squareds and index tranches and correlation products as well. Any chance?LOL

ok, so which "West" do you wanna talk about? The PIGS (as in portugal, iceland, greece, spain)? Or the northern peripherals that have their banks beat up with huge debts? As in Deutsche Bank...

fine, maybe you mean CAD. Doesnt count. That's airspace for guys in the US. LOL

That's some versatile "air space" selling Oil, lumber and water. I'm not here to teach  just asking a question about individual's attitudes- particularly immigrants with FG children in various countries- it's a concept that may be difficult to digest if one doesn't know what I'm referencing, so If you want to explain the notion be my guest. 
Just in case, I'll say it again: My post isn't about comparing nations, it's about dissecting an attitude. Anything to add towards that, or do you want to talk about Economic reform in the EU?

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 11:27am | IP Logged

That's some versatile "air space" selling Oil, lumber and water. I'm not here to teach  just asking a question about individual's attitudes- particularly immigrants with FG children in various countries- it's a concept that may be difficult to digest if one doesn't know what I'm referencing, so If you want to explain the notion be my guest. 
Just in case, I'll say it again: My post isn't about comparing nations, it's about dissecting an attitude. Anything to add towards that, or do you want to talk about Economic reform in the EU?

LOLyeah, why dont you talk about economic reform in the EU..if there's any.LOL

whose attitude? yours or the dad's? Because i think your own attitude is itself a block.. Just because you feel hectored does not mean he's wrong on the substance. Just think of it as a way of balancing the scales, from all the western influences you're normally subjected to which like other cultural influences have some bad along with the good.

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 06 February 2013 at 11:59am

Vintage.Wine

Goldie

Vintage.Wine

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by epiphany.

Um ...I won't call that scummy logic just yet ...But the reasoning sounds nothing but dud to me to say the least ..LOL .

Have ya ever heard of any of these ? 

The water gate scandle ..
    Apollo Moon hoax of the 70's that blew up millions of Tax Dollars
    Lehman Bro scandal ..
    Bernie Madoff case ..
    Teapot Dome ..
    The economic fiasco of 2008 ..
    William Jefferson Swindling case ...
    and many, many more such cases ..It might take me a month or may be more to finish writting this post if I decide to jot everything down here ..

Also I suggest you take a squizz at the Wiki ... 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_United_States

^^^ Here ...As a few might be not wanna trust the other sites that deal with the repugnant rape rate in a nation faved by a few ...

Or just go there and see for yourself ...May you would wanna learn how to evade the muggers ..averting dark, city glens at odd hours ..for the starters ..Tongue ...The picture everywhere ain't as cozy as you believe it to be ...There is no Heavns ..nowhere on the face of the world ...And the mess is equally awful ..everwhere ..LOL

Vintu ...Smile

BirdieNumNum

Post Reply New Post

Go to top