Debate Mansion

If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 27

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lonely0planet

Looks like i am responding to your posts a lot Smile or just posting a lot LOL
i work for a bank too but earning even 1 million in any bank is a far fetched dream, have nt you heard of new sanctions, regulators and so on.. its a everyday story to us and a sad one too.Confused
EM desks do make money but so do fx traders buying selling usd/gbp versus cheap currencies because it fluctuates a lot..
anyway i should stop my gyan and back to TM post

sounds like culture clash to me rather than anything else.. your father has inherited values from his elders and he probably just want to hold onto those(and who does not)..
its not about india being great or to leave or not.. people move around globe all the time and seeing the world definitely helps you grow as a person as well as help you grow as better professional with scope of earning more money..

People work overseas and when they move back home they get paid better ..
when you are in foreign land you represent your culture then why not be as authentic as you can be.. i have starved at times but refused to turn non-veggie

lol what kind of a banker are you if you cant arbitrage your way to higher earnings. You got to dump your current employer, show them the finger and find some unsuspecting stupid employer.LOL I am sure you could do well heeding that million-dollar piece of golden advice.

ok, if you're working for a hedge fund then you want to punt away on fx and stupid things like that that even any housewife can train herself to do. Else you should be playing with exotics where you can use the friendly mark-to-model game to mark your positions to your heart's content. Just need some creative accounting and financial engineering principlesTongueLOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetcharminggenie

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vintage.Wine

Goldie

Vintage.Wine

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged

@ TM

Well ..Did the same set of people who said India is great say USA / Europe isn't ( in their own way that is ..) ? ..also why do you think  people like Vasco Da Gama, Columbus traversed the oceans back in time in a quest to reach India ? Because their respective countries were junk places ? Also there are  people who are ready to live in Afghanistan or even Somalia with alacrity if someone promised them great compensation to work there ...

What is greatness in your view ? The prevalent economic situation ? Prosperaity and the flamboyant lifestyle? Earn more and Spend much more and be proud to reel under huge debt kind of a situation ? ..People of enterprising nature travel places for many different reasons ...A few spend their lives plundering egyptian pyramids or scout for lost pieces of history there...A few become activists and devote themselves to some noble cause and salvation serving the poor or socially neglacted people in remote places away from home ..The cause of migration clearly differs from person to person ..and that doesn't mean their nation was an awful place to be ..

The situation keeps changing all the time ..Whats great right now doesn't remain great eternally.. ..Back in time the SUN never set on the British empire ...But now it does ...Phew !! ..LOL..Similarly if you can envisage and look past today's illusive picture .you ll know why people like Mark Faber or Jim Rodgers are so darn bearish on America ..Where even the prolonged, near zero interest rate regime alongwith the stimulus (outta printed money ..) is bearly helping the economy scramble into the positive terrain ...The next Era most definitely won't belong to America and the opportunists would then skite their Chinese speaking skills as they flip the bird at the Now Great nation and be wise nuff to move a few thousand clicks eastwards ...LOL

Vintu ...Smile

LovelyPlanetVinzy

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged
[

[/QUOTE]

lol what kind of a banker are you if you cant arbitrage your way to higher earnings. You got to dump your current employer, show them the finger and find some unsuspecting stupid employer.LOL I am sure you could do well heeding that million-dollar piece of golden advice.

ok, if you're working for a hedge fund then you want to punt away on fx and stupid things like that that even any housewife can train herself to do. Else you should be playing with exotics where you can use the friendly mark-to-model game to mark your positions to your heart's content. Just need some creative accounting and financial engineering principlesTongueLOL
[/QUOTE]
guess i need to take tutorials from you how to make more money LOL..
not sure what you do but it does not work practically the same way as they teach you in schools(all rosy and good).. exotic desks these days are far worse than fx and FI.

BirdieNumNumcharminggenie

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Vintage.Wine

@ TM

Well ..Did the same set of people who said India is great say USA / Europe isn't ( in their own way that is ..) ? ..also why do you think  people like Vasco Da Gama, Columbus traversed the oceans back in time in a quest to reach India ? Because their respective countries were junk places ? Also there are  people who are ready to live in Afghanistan or even Somalia with alacrity if someone promised them great compensation to work there ...

What is greatness in your view ? The prevalent economic situation ? Prosperaity and the flamboyant lifestyle? Earn more and Spend much more and be proud to reel under huge debt kind of a situation ? ..People of enterprising nature travel places for many different reasons ...A few spend their lives plundering egyptian pyramids or scout for lost pieces of history there...A few become activists and devote themselves to some noble cause and salvation serving the poor or socially neglacted people in remote places away from home ..The cause of migration clearly differs from person to person ..and that doesn't mean their nation was an awful place to be ..

The situation keeps changing all the time ..Whats great right now doesn't remain great eternally.. ..Back in time the SUN never set on the British empire ...But now it does ...Phew !! ..LOL..Similarly if you can envisage and look past today's illusive picture .you ll know why people like Mark Faber or Jim Rodgers are so darn bearish on America ..Where even the prolonged, near zero interest rate regime alongwith the stimulus (outta printed money ..) is bearly helping the economy scramble into the positive terrain ...The next Era most definitely won't belong to America and the opportunists would then skite their Chinese speaking skills as they flip the bird at the Now Great nation and be wise nuff to move a few thousand clicks eastwards ...LOL

Vintu ...Smile

generally agree with you except that where and when ever mass migration has happned its only due to economic reasons.. and own land being in dire state..

Vintage.Winereeha...k

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 2:19am | IP Logged

not sure what you do but it does not work practically the same way as they teach you in schools(all rosy and good).. exotic desks these days are far worse than fx and FI.

oh that's easy. Just buy low and sell high. Or buy high and sell higher. Or sell low and sell lower stillLOL ok, that'll work most of the time but not always. You might want to do the reverse if you're trading correlation. All this free advice and i am not even charging, see the goodness that fills my heart?LOL

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

oh that's easy. Just buy low and sell high. Or buy high and sell higher. Or sell low and sell lower stillLOL ok, that'll work most of the time but not always. You might want to do the reverse if you're trading correlation. All this free advice and i am not even charging, see the goodness that fills my heart?LOL

do you know how to trade yourself and made millions yet?

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

What you're describing is more of a generational thing than a specific India-related thing. All parents find these impossible comparisons to discipline their children. Your dad is just being an old person.

As to why people migrate, many times it's not about choice. Those who have a choice and choose to do it I guess want better than what they have in their home country somehow. It's also a status thing sometimes. My parents immigrated to Canada too before my sister and I were born, and they claim it's because they wanted us to have certain things that they didn't have growing up. In some ways we did have access to a lot of things, but it's not like we wouldn't have in India. Who knows, really.

For some immigrants, there's an imaginary India in their minds that represents some kind of comfort I guess, no matter how assimilated they are. But the point is that it's imaginary, because the place they have left behind has changed like all places do, whether they want to accept it or not. Often this is a response to not feeling welcome/not feeling like they belong/experiencing racism in their country of residence. So I guess there's a social context to it too.

i agree to this here.

Also those who have migrated away, holds an impossible image of their country, a last desperate attempt to keep in touch with their roots and that is what is reflected when they goes my India is great.

Its been 5 years since I have moved away from India, and i mysefl can feel the difference. i have this image of my homeland which is how i left it and every time i go back, i find it changed and sometimes too different to even relate.  from there comes the tendency  to seek comfort in the image already in my mind.

Edited by tannipartner - 06 February 2013 at 6:03am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

reeha...k

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 6:36am | IP Logged

do you know how to trade yourself and made millions yet?

lol you dont want me to be modest now do you?LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top