Debate Mansion

If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 27

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mr.ass

Originally posted by reeha...k

Originally posted by mr.ass

listen closely to the lyrics of this song, and you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydCeS2XDq0
LOL! Thanks but I'd have to disagree. There is this notion that money grows on trees here out west: It doesn't. you have to work hard and have credentials just like you would for any other job any where else. Sure, 1 Dollar is 50 rupees (I think so, or around that number); but it takes effort to earn those dollars, and time. Things are bloody expensive out west too. 

There is this misconception that all Westeners live a bollywood life style or have a cushioned life: So not true. 

not really, americans spend way too much, many lower middle class families became rich by going to the us and uk and dubai and living cheaply there and sending home monaay Tongue

Don't get me started on the money he sends back to the mother land. That's another rant for another day. 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
... i think you should have an open-mind. Your dad might be right but for reasons very different from the ones he remembers. Emerging markets (EMs) offer tremendous growth opportunities, growing as they do from 5-10% a year. By comparison, growth in the West is anemic and likely to be that way for years as they muddle through huge deficits. Granted, EMs are starting from a low base, but salaries are at par in a lot of industries. Senior bankers earn 2- 5 million USD a year, with millions more in stock options that are appreciating. If the US were growing at those rates, folks would be going bananas! And we havent had the EM kind of growth in the US even in the internet boom of the late 90s and early 2000s (it probably touched 4.5% then). Socially too, India is 'happening' and vibrant. Crime is of course a problem. But given the huge population, it's no worse than the US per capita. You've got campus/ date rapes that are also endemic in the US. So all in all, if your dad has succeeded in making you know that there are other places beyond the West, then he's done you a favor. You dont want to be unidirectional in your thinking. You never know where your professional/ married life takes you to.. 

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged

That is a very incorrect notion: Talking back, dressing a certain way etc, it's not about geography, it's about circumstance. This is where my mother comes in, she's pointed out how his Nephew's and nieces aren't saints (heck those kids are more Loose than we've ever been or thought of being), Being in India doesn't make one a better child, with better values, talk back less, or be a goodie goodie, neither does being raised abroad make one with loose morals. 

By Hypocrite I mean he's willing to take the best that Canada has to offer yet still have the audacity to complain and preach. What's there to preach? Nothing. Values transcend geography and are universal for the most part. They do not belong to one corner of the world or are stapled there. 

I disagree. I've lived in India and in various parts of North America and know that South Asian culture cultivates respect for elders. You can just walk into any high school here and see the difference. As for having "loose morals" or being a "goodie goodie," yes, the upper class in India are far from saints. But in general Indians are far more conservative than their American counterparts. 

Hmmm... I like Canada. It offers all the luxuries of the West and it's still multi-cultural enough for you do carry your culture and values over. I can't badmouth someone's dad, so I'll say that you should be more understanding toward him. At 57, I don't think he's going to change. But if he allows it, perhaps next time ask him why he feels the way he does without blowing up on him. Maybe start by asking him what he does like about the West...  

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

... i think you should have an open-mind. Your dad might be right but for reasons very different from the ones he remembers. Emerging markets (EMs) offer tremendous growth opportunities, growing as they do from 5-10% a year. By comparison, growth in the West is anemic and likely to be that way for years as they muddle through huge deficits. Granted, EMs are starting from a low base, but salaries are at par in a lot of industries. Senior bankers earn 2- 5 million USD a year, with millions more in stock options that are appreciating. If the US were growing at those rates, folks would be going bananas! And we havent had the EM kind of growth in the US even in the internet boom of the late 90s and early 2000s (it probably touched 4.5% then). Socially too, India is 'happening' and vibrant. Crime is of course a problem. But given the huge population, it's no worse than the US per capita. You've got campus/ date rapes that are also endemic in the US. So all in all, if your dad has succeeded in making you know that there are other places beyond the West, then he's done you a favor. You dont want to be unidirectional in your thinking. You never know where your professional/ married life takes you to.. 
Looks like i am responding to your posts a lot Smile or just posting a lot LOL
i work for a bank too but earning even 1 million in any bank is a far fetched dream, have nt you heard of new sanctions, regulators and so on.. its a everyday story to us and a sad one too.Confused
EM desks do make money but so do fx traders buying selling usd/gbp versus cheap currencies because it fluctuates a lot..
anyway i should stop my gyan and back to TM post

sounds like culture clash to me rather than anything else.. your father has inherited values from his elders and he probably just want to hold onto those(and who does not)..
its not about india being great or to leave or not.. people move around globe all the time and seeing the world definitely helps you grow as a person as well as help you grow as better professional with scope of earning more money..

People work overseas and when they move back home they get paid better ..
when you are in foreign land you represent your culture then why not be as authentic as you can be.. i have starved at times but refused to turn non-veggie

reeha...k

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by LovesLowCulture

I disagree. I've lived in India and in various parts of North America and know that South Asian culture cultivates respect for elders. You can just walk into any high school here and see the difference. As for having "loose morals" or being a "goodie goodie," yes, the upper class in India are far from saints. But in general Indians are far more conservative than their American counterparts. 

Hmmm... I like Canada. It offers all the luxuries of the West and it's still multi-cultural enough for you do carry your culture and values over. I can't badmouth someone's dad, so I'll say that you should be more understanding toward him. At 57, I don't think he's going to change. But if he allows it, perhaps next time ask him why he feels the way he does without blowing up on him. Maybe start by asking him what he does like about the West...  

Not asking you to bad mouth, just opening up some general discussion: And trust me, I've asked him- all I get is the look of death. Sure he's 57, but the thing is, he was 19 when he left. He's lived his entire adult life outside of India, so his attitude is a little weird. I'd understand if he was FOB, but he's not. I can tell you what he likes about the west: Security, Money, More money, Health Care (thats more of a Canadian thing), the Roads, the Air, etc. Doesn't like: The fact that it still isn't India -__- 

El_Dorado

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

I should make this very clear: This is in no way a slight to India (contrary to the Title of the topic) it's more of an open ended question towards his (dad's) attitude as well as other's like him. 
I'd question the whole "India is happening" thing though, there are still millions of Indian's trying to leave the place and venture out "West" there is this picture perfect hollywood notion that people have about life here, that many want to live (for those who are middle class I'd assume; those with Money in India most likely wouldn't care)

Professional and Married life: We can place a bet my friend. I'm staying on this contenent; even for my post graduate studies, it's Georgetown or UBC for me! 

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lonely0planet

Looks like i am responding to your posts a lot Smile or just posting a lot LOL
i work for a bank too but earning even 1 million in any bank is a far fetched dream, have nt you heard of new sanctions, regulators and so on.. its a everyday story to us and a sad one too.Confused
EM desks do make money but so do fx traders buying selling usd/gbp versus cheap currencies because it fluctuates a lot..
anyway i should stop my gyan and back to TM post

sounds like culture clash to me rather than anything else.. your father has inherited values from his elders and he probably just want to hold onto those(and who does not)..
its not about india being great or to leave or not.. people move around globe all the time and seeing the world definitely helps you grow as a person as well as help you grow as better professional with scope of earning more money..

People work overseas and when they move back home they get paid better ..
when you are in foreign land you represent your culture then why not be as authentic as you can be.. i have starved at times but refused to turn non-veggie

Kudos to you! See, another thing, he hasn't been a vegetarian for ages. He's so selective about his "authenticity" and that's what irritates me. 

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged

I should make this very clear: This is in no way a slight to India (contrary to the Title of the topic) it's more of an open ended question towards his (dad's) attitude as well as other's like him. 
I'd question the whole "India is happening" thing though, there are still millions of Indian's trying to leave the place and venture out "West" there is this picture perfect hollywood notion that people have about life here, that many want to live (for those who are middle class I'd assume; those with Money in India most likely wouldn't care)

Professional and Married life: We can place a bet my friend. I'm staying on this contenent; even for my post graduate studies, it's Georgetown or UBC for me! 

lol there is no such bollywoodish picture about the west anymore. It's the age of instant media. Folks in India know that life in the West can be as pathetic as life anywhere. And for your information, people in India who are upper middle class and on up have more money than middle class in the West. They own their own homes lock-stock-and-barrel, unlike the middle class in the west who have hocked it to mortgages. Sucks.LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top