Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

If India is so great, why'd you leave. (Page 2)

reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

What you're describing is more of a generational thing than a specific India-related thing. All parents find these impossible comparisons to discipline their children. Your dad is just being an old person.

As to why people migrate, many times it's not about choice. Those who have a choice and choose to do it I guess want better than what they have in their home country somehow. It's also a status thing sometimes. My parents immigrated to Canada too before my sister and I were born, and they claim it's because they wanted us to have certain things that they didn't have growing up. In some ways we did have access to a lot of things, but it's not like we wouldn't have in India. Who knows, really.

For some immigrants, there's an imaginary India in their minds that represents some kind of comfort I guess, no matter how assimilated they are. But the point is that it's imaginary, because the place they have left behind has changed like all places do, whether they want to accept it or not. Often this is a response to not feeling welcome/not feeling like they belong/experiencing racism in their country of residence. So I guess there's a social context to it too.

I'm just using India as an example since that's the one I can relate to, but it's common with so many immagrent parents towards their children, where ever they are from. I'd say he's just being an old person too, but the thing is my mom also left india when she was young, she's stayed most of her life here, and she's old too. But she's not like that o.O

Completely agree with the imaginary India. My dad thinks it's like this idyllic place he left when he was a teen: Home sweet home; at the same time though he's not stupid, he should know better, and he does, but alas the preaching never ends.  

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

El_Dorado

reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Prometeus

People migrate one to another country different reasons...main reasons are economic,second political third environmental fouth The desire ...BUT everybody has to love his motherland...and we can say 100s of beautiful things about your motherland.. you dont need to bother much about your motherland bcos motherland is not a person,thats why most of the people love fictions !! Smile

See that's what I don't get: Economic reasons, which many people do cite for their move- IF the country was so freaking awesome, why not work hard and earn money there? The Motherland was OBVIOUSLY Lacking something as to why one leaves in the first place: I don't mind the love part, I totally get that, it's the preaching that I can't stand anymore LOL! Completely agree that it's fictional!
reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Fault in reasoning which bugs me to no end, something is okay when it matches up with their views and the same thing becomes not okay when it doesn't.

YES! OH GOD I COULD HUG YOU RIGHT NOW! LOL!Clap
reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Baazigar.

Regarding leaving India , the intention is one try to make a better living and giving a good facility and environment for his future generation. After all one find something good in his work place thats why he never return to his birth place. wherever one stay he always think his culture is best comparing to new one, so he try to impose and expect his future generation to follow that culture.

If one is leaving for a better facility and environment and generation, they should show some love, loyalty and appreciation for that environment which is providing it: Because obviously the origional place of living was not capable of providing such a stepping stool (if that's the example we're going with). The reality is with culture, there can't be this picking and choosing, he can't expect his children to have a western education, political ideology (In our case more Social), etc, and then want his children to revert back to what he considers the motherland norm- there needs to be consistency, and that's the issue with Immigrant parents: They want EVERYTHING- the want the best of the West, and the "Conservative Culture" of the East. Hypocrites.  

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

PocketMahika24El_Dorado

reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

... when we grow up, we often have to go study in another city. Our work takes us to different places where we might eventually settle down. After marriage, girls usually move. So if one's mother is so great, why leave her one day? Smile

Get the attempted analogy so not the same thing though: 

1 Girls shouldn't always have to move- this is a sexists patriarchal thing cultures have come up with and is complete BS- that's another conversation for another day though. 

2. If one has had to study, work or settle somewhere else, then obviously something was lacking where they were. Right? You don't just leave home and the familiar and uproot a million kilometers away for fun. That's what I want: Some honesty, the mother land obviously wasn't all hip and happening, hence the migration. 

3. The Girl has left her mother, that's not the problem, the problem would be if the Girl was constantly comparing her mother to her mother-in-law: Wanting to take what her mother in law offered: Riches, jewels, and comfort, yet constantly complaining about her Mother was better. That is the problem. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

PocketEl_Dorado

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by reeha...k

Originally posted by mr.ass

listen closely to the lyrics of this song, and you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydCeS2XDq0
LOL! Thanks but I'd have to disagree. There is this notion that money grows on trees here out west: It doesn't. you have to work hard and have credentials just like you would for any other job any where else. Sure, 1 Dollar is 50 rupees (I think so, or around that number); but it takes effort to earn those dollars, and time. Things are bloody expensive out west too. 

There is this misconception that all Westeners live a bollywood life style or have a cushioned life: So not true. 

not really, americans spend way too much, many lower middle class families became rich by going to the us and uk and dubai and living cheaply there and sending home monaay Tongue
LovesLowCulture Senior Member
LovesLowCulture
LovesLowCulture

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged
You dad left at a time (pre-economic liberalization) when opportunities to make good money and live in comfort may have been rather limited. 
Unless, he's talking about how great the roads or the university system in India is, I don't think he's being a hypocrite. 
I can empathize with him. I was sent to school in India and love Indian culture. But know what a pathetic place it is for a woman and wouldn't live there today. That doesn't stop me from celebrating my culture. 

I'd still send my kids there for school, because I'd hate for them to talk back to me the way kids do here. 
reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by LovesLowCulture

You dad left at a time (pre-economic liberalization) when opportunities to make good money and live in comfort may have been rather limited. 
Unless, he's talking about how great the roads or the university system in India is, I don't think he's being a hypocrite. 
I can empathize with him. I was sent to school in India and love Indian culture. But know what a pathetic place it is for a woman and wouldn't live there today. That doesn't stop me from celebrating my culture. 

I'd still send my kids there for school, because I'd hate for them to talk back to me the way kids do here. 

That is a very incorrect notion: Talking back, dressing a certain way etc, it's not about geography, it's about circumstance. This is where my mother comes in, she's pointed out how his Nephew's and nieces aren't saints (heck those kids are more Loose than we've ever been or thought of being), Being in India doesn't make one a better child, with better values, talk back less, or be a goodie goodie, neither does being raised abroad make one with loose morals. 

By Hypocrite I mean he's willing to take the best that Canada has to offer yet still have the audacity to complain and preach. What's there to preach? Nothing. Values transcend geography and are universal for the most part. They do not belong to one corner of the world or are stapled there. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

PocketMahika24El_Dorado

Go to top