Page 1
Page   of 27
Page 2 Page 27

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged
Hi All,

This is just a general discussion and me venting my frustrations, so maybe I'll get an answer to my question here.

Some background:
My dad left India when he was 19, on his own he moved to Holland (Netherlands) and was there for 10 years before he came to Canada. Married, has some kids, etc. He's only been back to the mother land 5 times in that span. He's now 57. That is 38 Years, he's lived abroad- most of his life, and all of his adult life. He's a Canadian citizen, has decent English, is a big Hockey fan, etc, etc. 

Issue:
He's so high up on "Mera Bharat Mahan" ideology. I get pride in your heritage, that's fine. But it's to the point where he's literally like: Indian girls don't wear/eat/talk/dress/think/look/act/behave like that, Some of his scentences are, "Well in INDIA..."  and I could go on and on and on. 

And I've said (Yes, I'm snarky enough to say it) "Well, why'd you move."; "What's stopping you from going back?" - All I get is the death stare, and look from him; my siblings grin and my mom rolls her eyes. 

It's a legitmate question: If India is so fan-freaking-tastic (NOTE, I am not saying it is or it isn't that isn't my point) then why have millions choosen to leave? And why are Millions dying to leave?

Cheers,

Reeha

The following 21 member(s) liked the above post:

PocketMahika24adevGumrah...-Inferno-ILoveDramaRehanismEl_DoradoTheBossmoomin4455-Raichu--Nakshatra-..Athena..Miss CherieForever-KAash.attitudeMahek_No1epiphany.FreshDaisy.Dulcet-chamkilli-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "If India is so great, why'd you leave." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged
listen closely to the lyrics of this song, and you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydCeS2XDq0

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged
What you're describing is more of a generational thing than a specific India-related thing. All parents find these impossible comparisons to discipline their children. Your dad is just being an old person.

As to why people migrate, many times it's not about choice. Those who have a choice and choose to do it I guess want better than what they have in their home country somehow. It's also a status thing sometimes. My parents immigrated to Canada too before my sister and I were born, and they claim it's because they wanted us to have certain things that they didn't have growing up. In some ways we did have access to a lot of things, but it's not like we wouldn't have in India. Who knows, really.

For some immigrants, there's an imaginary India in their minds that represents some kind of comfort I guess, no matter how assimilated they are. But the point is that it's imaginary, because the place they have left behind has changed like all places do, whether they want to accept it or not. Often this is a response to not feeling welcome/not feeling like they belong/experiencing racism in their country of residence. So I guess there's a social context to it too.

Edited by --arti-- - 04 February 2013 at 3:46pm

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

PocketMahika24adevILoveDramakaamchorniLeadNitrateRehanismEl_Doradomoomin4455Miss CherieMahek_No1-Chandramukhi-FreshDaisy

reeha...k

IF-Rockerz

reeha...k

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mr.ass

listen closely to the lyrics of this song, and you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydCeS2XDq0
LOL! Thanks but I'd have to disagree. There is this notion that money grows on trees here out west: It doesn't. you have to work hard and have credentials just like you would for any other job any where else. Sure, 1 Dollar is 50 rupees (I think so, or around that number); but it takes effort to earn those dollars, and time. Things are bloody expensive out west too. 

There is this misconception that all Westeners live a bollywood life style or have a cushioned life: So not true. 

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

PocketMahika24nomad.nessILoveDrama-Inferno-El_DoradoMahek_No1Miss Cherie

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by reeha...k

Hi All,

This is just a general discussion and me venting my frustrations, so maybe I'll get an answer to my question here.

Some background:
My dad left India when he was 19, on his own he moved to Holland (Netherlands) and was there for 10 years before he came to Canada. Married, has some kids, etc. He's only been back to the mother land 5 times in that span. He's now 57. That is 38 Years, he's lived abroad- most of his life, and all of his adult life. He's a Canadian citizen, has decent English, is a big Hockey fan, etc, etc. 

Issue:
He's so high up on "Mera Bharat Mahan" ideology. I get pride in your heritage, that's fine. But it's to the point where he's literally like: Indian girls don't wear/eat/talk/dress/think/look/act/behave like that, Some of his scentences are, "Well in INDIA..."  and I could go on and on and on. 

And I've said (Yes, I'm snarky enough to say it) "Well, why'd you move."; "What's stopping you from going back?" - All I get is the death stare, and look from him; my siblings grin and my mom rolls her eyes. 

It's a legitmate question: If India is so fan-freaking-tastic (NOTE, I am not saying it is or it isn't that isn't my point) then why have millions choosen to leave? And why are Millions dying to leave?

Cheers,

Reeha

People migrate one to another country different reasons...main reasons are economic,second political third environmental fouth The desire ...BUT everybody has to love his motherland...and we can say 100s of beautiful things about your motherland.. you dont need to bother much about your motherland bcos motherland is not a person,thats why most of the people love fictions !! Smile

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged
Fault in reasoning which bugs me to no end, something is okay when it matches up with their views and the same thing becomes not okay when it doesn't.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

reeha...k

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged

... when we grow up, we often have to go study in another city. Our work takes us to different places where we might eventually settle down. After marriage, girls usually move. So if one's mother is so great, why leave her one day? Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

HeartzorrroFreshDaisy

TheBoss

IF-Dazzler

TheBoss

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged
I had to double check to see that I didn't post this. LOL LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

El_Doradoreeha...k

Post Reply New Post

Go to top