Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

80s brigade: Sunny,Anil, Sanju - who's better? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 9

Page 1 Page 5
Page   of 9
Page 7 Page 9

bambogli

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

guess_wh0

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "80s brigade: Sunny,Anil, Sanju - who's better? (Page 6)" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DB_reloaded

IF-Stunnerz

DB_reloaded

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged
anil and sanju still going strong!!!! sunny is not competing any more!!!!

Franco

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged
@Amara_B

Sunny Deol's career never gained momentum? He kept giving hits and critically acclaimed films, never got overshadowed by heroines, was challenge to Khans till 1996 and finally gave ATBB Gadar. He has 2 National Awards to his credit and hits in different genres from a romantic Betaab to action films like Tridev. Even now he gave hit YPD while his contemporaries keep appearing as supporting actors only (except Sanjay who gives hits in Raju Hirani's Munnabhai films).

Amara_B

Franco

IF-Rockerz

Franco

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged
According to my dad Sanju, Anil, Jackie and Sunny were competition but there was no clear no.1
He also said Bollywood films became less popular in the 1980's. Apparently with the overdose of action and repetitive stories people got tired. It was not until films like QSQT, MPK, Sajaan, HAHK that larger audiences came back to cinemas. I am not saying this as Khan love but because that is what he told me.

As of now Jackie is no.4 even in the 1980's he had very few solo hit films and appeared multistarrers alot. He actually played second fiddle to the above mention guys as well as the Khans. I do not know if Jackie is still doing films. Sunny had huge hits till 2003 but he never changed with the time and his PR was just terrible. No wonder he only gets films offers every five years lol. Sanjay is the one who could have been a Bachchan or Khan level star cause his 1993 Khalnayak was biggest film that year. But drugs and other scandals really thrashed any chance of that. He had comeback with Vaastav, Mission Kashmir, Kaante, Munnabhai films but has now shifted to secondary roles. But he has hits in this also. Agneepath , SOS and maybe Zanjeer. Anil was aged the best and is still going strong. He had good number of hits but then in early 1990's went away and then camebback to secondary roles. Like Biwi no.1 , No Entry, Race , Welcome and now Race 2, He has hits though and he got all this international fame.

So they were the workhorses between the bachchan and Khan era

Amara_B

Amara_B

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Skepblun

@Amara_B

Sunny Deol's career never gained momentum? He kept giving hits and critically acclaimed films, never got overshadowed by heroines, was challenge to Khans till 1996 and finally gave ATBB Gadar. He has 2 National Awards to his credit and hits in different genres from a romantic Betaab to action films like Tridev. Even now he gave hit YPD while his contemporaries keep appearing as supporting actors only (except Sanjay who gives hits in Raju Hirani's Munnabhai films).

Yea that was really badly written on my part. What I meant was Sunny and Mithun's careers didn't sustain momentum. His career sort of died out at the end of 90s. He only gives hits in family films now. I know he was huge in the 80s - my mum really loves him as an actor. Personally I never liked him though - so that clouds my judgement sometimes too.

atominis

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
I think all of them had potential. It's odd why they didn't do that well later and how they got trumped by likes of Khans, Akshay, Ajay (except Sunny and till 1992, Anil).

Sunny Deol's PR, choice of movies, handling of fans and media is all wrong. He even didn't take care of his weight and ended up looking much older than his actual age sometime in late 90s. Even now he is not that fit.

Currently he's focused on his sons, preparing them for industry and trying to put together a dream debut for Karan!

Franco

coolfire

Goldie

coolfire

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged
Anil Kapoor wins hands down. Clearly the smartest and the hardest working of all names mentioned. He had a great run in the 80s and early 90s. He's also done a wide range of roles-- like the innocent "Ishwar", beaten down husband in "My Wife's Murder" to good comic timing in commercial movies like Welcome. He wins this lot because he could change with time and move into character roles-- and is still in demand. He was seen as latest as in Race 2, which is a testament enough. Also, he looks the same! 

I think Sanjay Dutt comes close second, the man had charisma, but his career got derailed during his hay-days. He has also adapted with time and does some good character roles. 

Sunny's career has had the worst ending. He got stuck in time an couldn't change from the "angry-one-man-army" roles. 

Edited by coolfire - 04 February 2013 at 12:32pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Christina_Yangatominis

Amara_B

Amara_B

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Skepblun

I think all of them had potential. It's odd why they didn't do that well later and how they got trumped by likes of Khans, Akshay, Ajay (except Sunny and till 1992, Anil).

Sunny Deol's PR, choice of movies, handling of fans and media is all wrong. He even didn't take care of his weight and ended up looking much older than his actual age sometime in late 90s. Even now he is not that fit.

Currently he's focused on his sons, preparing them for industry and trying to put together a dream debut for Karan!

It'll be really interesting to see how well this group of actors children do in BW. There's Sonam already, and then Sunny's son, and Jackie's son whose being launched by Aamir apparently. I think Mithun's son tried BW and didn't do too well, not sure if he's still trying.

Sunny's son will do well depending on what career path he takes, I think the Deol men have acting in their blood. All of them can act, some just made really bad career choices.

Jackie's son, if the rumor about Aamir launching him is true will almost definitely have an excellent debut, but whether he'll be able to sustain the high after that is questionable. Imran, and Prateik have both had trouble.

If he's got half his dad's charisma It'd be nice to see him do well. Jackie was honestly 'the one that got away' I feel he could have been phenomenal given the right roles.

He stole the show in his scenes with SRK in Devdas, was excellent in Kaash, Gardish, Hero. I don't understand how the Khans managed to phase out this groups careers. I mean I understand why they were so popular, but how on earth did their popularity end others careers? In terms of acting they're not exceptionally better than Sanjay, Jackie, Sunny; Salman's not a better actor than Govinda in comedies either. If I'm not mistaken Ajay, and Akshay didn't really match the Khans popularity until Hera Pheri, and Omkara.

This is the one thing that baffles me about Bollywood. I mean In the 60s/70s Amitabh was the superstar, but Vinod, Shashi, Naseer etc were just as good as him if not better, yet never really garnered the same acclaim (Naseer did but never on a global scale like Amitabh).

Akshay Khanna, Kunal Kapoor, Rahul Khanna, Sharman Joshi; all excellent actors but always sidelined for the big 5, and Saif, Hrithik.

There's no variety in Bollywood a handful of actors make it to superstardom and then those actors are used over and over again.

It's hapenning with the newbies as well. Imran, and Ranbir are used all the time, but actors like Prateik, and Saqib Saleem are largely ignored.

Franco

Post Reply New Post

Go to top